• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theatrhythm Final Bar Line |OT| Born From A Long Line of Greatness

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Wtf. I even restarted my switch and deleted/reinstalled the game. Still doesn’t show up for me. I just opened a support ticket.
Are you looking in the music mode? The DLC songs don't have actual stages / series quests - they are only playable in the music mode. You can change the music mode sort to "type", and all your DLC songs will show up in a single tab.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm working my way through all the songs in Series mode, so that they unlock in music mode. I'm about 2/3rds of the way through all of them. There are obviously some that are amazing (the first six games), some that are hit-and-miss (Final Fantasy X-2 comes to mind), and a few that are... not so great (Mobius).

At the same time, I'm rotating through the characters to get as many to level 99 as possible before I start over-leveling them. This game has a LOT of characters!

Really enjoying this though - there is such a huge variety of tracks / games represented here, and that number is just going to grow going forward with the DLC. I will definitely be coming back to this game over and over again for weeks / months / years(?).

EDIT: Wednesday is the Live A Live track pack ($3, or included in the season pass), I'm absolutely hyped for that.

Last edited:
Got the platinum this morning. Some of the quests were tricky.

Overall, I got into the game way more than I expected. I never wanted to stop playing. The way you build up characters and different parties is brilliant.

Pejo

I finally picked this up a few days ago, just got around to playing it today. Man, this game is like crack. As others have mentioned, it's got a great progression system to keep you hooked, the quests are fun little goals to set for yourself, the unlock system is pretty easy to deal with, and of course the music is amazing.

I will say, out of all the note types, the wavy holds with the directional release at the end are fucking me up.

I can't imagine how hard this game gets at harder difficulties, depending on the song, I have a tough time keeping up on "basic" mode. I'm not the rhythm game expert that I used to be back in my guitar hero days, that much is for sure.

Though, I do feel that (at least in basic), the notes don't always match up with the songs perfectly, so it leads to some awkward presses. Usually that kind of thing works itself out the higher in difficulty you go, in other games.

Shame they went for that fuckin artstyle. It reminds me of how much I hated the Link's Awakening remake art.

I've been playing since release and am up to 'Ultimate' difficulty pretty successfully - some of the level 10 songs still give me trouble. Perfect Chain on The Airbuster on Ultimate was a proud gamer moment, that I still had 'it' in these rhythm games.

I tried a couple of the 'Supreme' difficulty songs and they mess me up though.

Last edited:

jshackles

Also been playing since launch, it's basically not left my Switch since I got it (mostly because there haven't been any super good exclusives since).

Pejo

Ok I'm starting to understand more of the mechanics here.

Certain abilities only work on certain stage "types".

The explore types - (characters run across the screen fighting along the way) let you use spells like Haste to speed up your movement.
The battle types - (characters stand in place and fight waves of enemies) let you use Summons and other related spells like Swiftness to increase the summon gauge faster.

So it would seem that for exploration stages, taking characters like Rydia who is all about buffing summon damage is a waste of space. Thus the multiple team slots.

I don't know who the fuck decided that FFX-2 should be considered 2*, they're the hardest songs in the game for me so far, and I've cleared a lot of 7* and above zones. It probably doens't help that I don't like the majority of FFX-2 music to begin with.

What teams did you guys use most often? I don't have many characters leveled very high yet, but my exploration team is Firion/Y'shtola 2/Kain/Fran for explorations and Cecil/Tifa/Rydia/Celes for battle stages. I assume the skills matter more when aiming for some of the harder quests, so I've just been using my favorites while I level them up to see who gets good high level skills.

What are the purpose of the character cards that I'm unlocking. Does that unlock playable characters or is it just a collection thing or what?

jshackles

Season 2 DLC starts dropping today. $14.99

♪THEATRHYTHM FBL NieR Pack Vol. 2 (6 tracks) - Available April 26, 2023.
Fleeting Words / Outsider
Song of the Ancients / Devola
Hills of Radiant Winds
Kainé / Salvation
Song of the Ancients / Fate
Shadowlord

♪THEATRHYTHM FBL CHRONO Pack (6 tracks) - Available May 17, 2023.
Wings That Cross Time
Radical Dreamers -Le Trésor Interdit-
Chrono Trigger
Boss Battle 2
Battle with Magus
Corridors of Time

♪THEATRHYTHM FBL CHRONO Pack Vol. 2 (6 tracks) - Available June 7, 2023.
Robo's Theme
Chrono Cross -Scars of Time-
Wind Scene
Frog’s Theme
World Revolution
To Far Away Times

♪ THEATRHYTHM FBL Mana Pack (7 tracks) - Available June 28, 2023.
Nuclear Fusion
Battle 2
In Search of the Sword of Mana
Swivel
Powell
Meridian Child
Sacrifice Part Three

♪THEATRHYTHM FBL OCTOPATH TRAVELER Pack (5 tracks) - Available July 19, 2023.
Battle at Journey's End
Primrose, the Dancer
Daughter of the Dark God
Octopath Traveler -Main Theme-
Decisive Battle II

Ok I'm starting to understand more of the mechanics here.

Certain abilities only work on certain stage "types".

The explore types - (characters run across the screen fighting along the way) let you use spells like Haste to speed up your movement.
The battle types - (characters stand in place and fight waves of enemies) let you use Summons and other related spells like Swiftness to increase the summon gauge faster.

So it would seem that for exploration stages, taking characters like Rydia who is all about buffing summon damage is a waste of space. Thus the multiple team slots.

I don't know who the fuck decided that FFX-2 should be considered 2*, they're the hardest songs in the game for me so far, and I've cleared a lot of 7* and above zones. It probably doens't help that I don't like the majority of FFX-2 music to begin with.

What teams did you guys use most often? I don't have many characters leveled very high yet, but my exploration team is Firion/Y'shtola 2/Kain/Fran for explorations and Cecil/Tifa/Rydia/Celes for battle stages. I assume the skills matter more when aiming for some of the harder quests, so I've just been using my favorites while I level them up to see who gets good high level skills.

What are the purpose of the character cards that I'm unlocking. Does that unlock playable characters or is it just a collection thing or what?

The cards are mostly just for collection, but each card you have for a given character gives them a little stat boost.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Oi guys, what's the deal with the clearly altered sensitivity of the triggers vs the 3DS Theatrhythm games?
I used to get so many scores of 9,999,999 on 3DS. In Final Bar Line, I can't get one to save my life. And I'm playing on Switch, handheld mode, for minimum input lag.

It's pretty ridiculous that you can get a SSS rank with a performance that's pretty far from perfection.
Also, it's hard enough to synch the two-button presses as is, there was absolutely no need to add that "Rainbow Critical" score that only adds insult to injury in the final evaluation.

The difficulty level is clearly higher than in the 3DS games. Expert can get quite crazy enough, Ultimate is bonkers. I'm not touching Supreme, not even for money. The Sakimoto tracks (FF Tactics) change rhythm like every other measure or so, they're beautiful to listen to but not really fit for a rhythm game.

I was so hyped for this game and I bought the whole package with all the DLC, but it's quite disappointing. Getting the perfect score is so finicky that after ten hours or so I'm already resigned to just go through the motions, getting through the songs and not looking back unless there's a mission to come back to with more experienced characters. They also removed the RPG element of Curtain Call, which was maybe a bit too much to master, but it showed more effort on SQEX's part. Final Bar Line feels like a quantity over quality thing through and through. Who thought that touch controls could be this much better for any game, but that's how it is for Theatrhythm.

Top Bottom