• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There are a lot of remakes being made - Is this a positive or negative for the industry?

Is the growing tendency towards remakes a positive or negative to you?

• Positive

Votes: 71 33.3%
  • Negative

Votes: 92 43.2%
  • Neutral or no opinion

Votes: 50 23.5%

• Total voters

Bkdk

Remakes make a lot of sense in gaming as there has been significant graphics, animation and UI design improvements over the years. I do wish many future remakes will be adding major alternate routes and endings to the games though. It could be risky to create a brand new game with multiple story routes as it could take too much recources to create multiple good story routes and endings. However when they take on big remake projects, all they have to do is create extra content on the original storyline, that would help devs lower risk while making the original even better with an open ended experience and not feeling like there is one canon ending with much better polish than the other.

I think it's one more sign that we are creatively bankrupt. Everything is a remake or reboot nowadays.
Even soap operas are being remade around here. It's insane.

kicker

Banned
Some of the most fun Ive had the last few years has been from remakes.
It shouldn't be that way though, right?

Imagine 10 years from now the most fun games you'll be playing are Elden ring and Ragnarok remakes. Is it a good outlook for the best (or just highest rated) games to always be remakes of games from the past?
It's hard for me to say they're negative, even though I know it seems to mute creativity. But why?

Well my biggest reason is Dead Space Remake. I matured as a gamer over the years. I used to just play games for the fun, but now I play for challenge of gameplay and story. I started playing Dead Space back in the day, but I couldn't stick with it because it was too hard. But, now I love challenging games.

The original Dead space looks great still, but the remake gave me a chance to play it with even more fantastic atmosphere and visual fidelity. Remakes are simply getting better and it's just a different advancement in experience compared to a movie remake.

Now, that is IF they stay very true to the original. Max Payne is my favorite game and it's getting a remake. It's a tough line to walk because if you've already played a game then a new remake could lave a bad taste in your mouth. But, then I think of RE4R and I played that game before but love the remake.

Remakes are simply getting better. If they keep with that trend then I don't hate it.
Well really, I was asking under the assumption that the remakes are good ones automatically. It's kinda hard to mess up a remake if you think about it, from that list in the op I can only point out the GTA Trilogy as being outright worse than the originals.
I'm asking more about the trend of frequent remakes rather than the quality of the remakes themselves. I also think it's rarely ever the developer's choice to produce a remake, based on GDCs and dev interviews I think devs would much rather try new stuff, but the publishers or investors decide what gets made.

To me, constantly remaking games suggests a mindset the publishers have (just repeat what worked before, I don't want to take a risk anymore).

Ar¢tos

Metal Gear?
How is it even possible to remake Metal Gear?
Re-imagining I can believe, but a remake could be done in a month and it would flop really hard!

My answer goes beyond just gaming to says all media industries: music, and film, TV, and gaming are going through a recycling of content. Some are both positive and negative.

kyussman

I want new exciting games that push the medium forward......a games industry full of GAAS shit and remakes in not one I have any interest in.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
It’s funny how closely the game industry is following the movie industry which follows the music industry.

overall it’s probably a negative because it just points out that most things have already been done and we’re done better before.

kicker

Banned
Your point is that we’ve had more and more remakes of newer-ish games.
That's part of it, but the point is really that we seem to be getting more and more remakes from big publishers, not that they're remaking recent games (although that's part of the issue). It seems like the publishers that have a large collection of classics, all want to go back and squeeze money from those classics all at the same time, and that speaks to a desire to get guaranteed sales, and that desire to get guaranteed sales means less risk-taking, less greenlighting new ideas, fewer games like Hi-Fi rush that are original and creative.
Gears of War, Halo, and The Witcher. Halo before Bungie stopped making the games was a crazy time to be playing games. FPS became huge or at least well known because of Halo. The story was never rebooted. It was asking to be remade just by being such a well known game. Gears of War was excellent and the newest entries (4 and 5) had to go off of the story they’ve already told. The original Gears of War and its sequel were what got fans to get tattoos on their chest. I think when we look at TLoU we think of that was fine as is, but the new additions in these remakes makes it worth revisiting. There’s no reason to just forget about a game you got that tattoo of because a new console gen made it look outdated.
It's not about forgetting old games, it's about the fact that companies use the nostalgia we have and might just decide to keep remaking games over risking AAA budgets on new games. I liked Halo CE, but when I played them originally (or when you played whichever of your favourite games of the past) I wasn't thinking "man, this game is so good, It'll be so crazy when it's remade in the future", I was thinking "man, this game is so good, Imagine how great the games these guys will make in the future will be". And the fact that people are still holding the games from decades ago up as the standards speaks negatively of the industry. But that isn't really the point, the point is that a growing tendency towards remakes means that publishers are getting significantly more risk-averse. I say publishers as I don't think the devs want to be remaking all their old games instead of working on news ideas.
The very first Witcher game was rough around the edges. The combat was more like Neverwinter Nights. The graphics were decent at the time. The Enhanced version made things look better, but it wasn’t like Witcher 3. I think a lot of people want to relive the stories and sometimes you forget that stuff.
Same point as my first paragraph, remakes of my favourite games are great but not at the cost of developers making new games. And the more they look towards remakes, the greater the chance they just want to make something that will instantly sell, so less risk taking on new games.

I think we are seeing a remake revival from each studio because they have staple entries for those franchises. The fans love it, so they demand more. I really didn’t like Silent Hill Downpour and Homecoming was okay. I played those games and instantly wanted to replay the classic games. Konami seems to have a big basket of Silent Hill games and the cherry on top could be the SH2 remake or the actual F main game. Either way, I still remember the plot of SH because new stuff never catches my interest or my internal thought process like those few games did. Kojima’s legacy rests at Konami. MGS remake is about the only thing they could do to allow their fans to relive why MGS is so great to begin with.
The remake revival is from publishers trying to get more money from us, not from developers who really want to be making the same games they made decades ago. Most of the time, It isn't the same devs working on remakes and so they get to enjoy games they worked on with new presentations. But ask them if they would leave whatever new project they're working on to remake their old game? I don't think many of them would accept.
I think it’s a good thing we have remakes.
Yes, playing older games with better controls and updates presentation is always good ...
Sure, new stuff is great. I loved RE7 and Village. I like new stories and plots. I also don’t have better experiences than Chrono Trigger, Parasite Eve, Vagrant Story, and many more. There isn’t an equal even with all these RTX/4K enabled graphics.
... this is where the negative look for the industry comes in. We won't get new games that surpass the older ones if publishers are too scared to make new games and can survive off the guaranteed sales of remaking a classic. If it was really about remaking new games so they would be better, we would also get remakes of the games that didn't sell well, but we aren't because it's about guaranteed sales.
The same people who worked on those classic games go on to make FFXVI for example, but that’s crossing genres at this point. So yeah, a remake does sound good when you make such a massive change.
One or two remakes a year from the big publishers, sure, but a lot of remakes coming out around the same time is not a positive outlook for the industry as a whole.

Majukun

overall negative but it's not a big deal..just a way to make some quick buck from graphic whores or people that were too young from experiencing the game at release

hemo memo

Gold Member
Surely a lot safer than a new IP as the groundwork is there and the name is known so people who what the game will be about.

Guilty_AI

People have been playing older games more frequently, this is just the industry's way to try and capitalize on that trend. I wouldn't say its really bad or good.

I'm fairly neutral. We've seen good remakes. We've seen bad remakes. Depends on the developer. That being said, one thing that I think is definitely a net positive is it allows developers to release games relatively quickly and it gives them time to learn new hardware, which they can then apply to their all new games that take longer to develop.

While it's certainly good to move towards a situation where you don't have games locked to specific console, the emphasis on spending considerable resources on recreating from scratch games that could simply take advantage from an HD/widescreen patch is a sign of the insane play-it-safe mentality that we've found ourselves in. And if not for remakes, many games already play very samey regardless, GamePass made me realize that.

It shouldn't be that way though, right?

Imagine 10 years from now the most fun games you'll be playing are Elden ring and Ragnarok remakes. Is it a good outlook for the best (or just highest rated) games to always be remakes of games from the past?

Well really, I was asking under the assumption that the remakes are good ones automatically. It's kinda hard to mess up a remake if you think about it, from that list in the op I can only point out the GTA Trilogy as being outright worse than the originals.
I'm asking more about the trend of frequent remakes rather than the quality of the remakes themselves. I also think it's rarely ever the developer's choice to produce a remake, based on GDCs and dev interviews I think devs would much rather try new stuff, but the publishers or investors decide what gets made.

To me, constantly remaking games suggests a mindset the publishers have (just repeat what worked before, I don't want to take a risk anymore).
I see where you're coming from. I tend to think of remakes in a positive way, based on enjoyment of the customer and funding for the company. Here's what I mean:

The money it takes to make a game these days has gone to ridiculous heights. It is so risky for a company to produce a game. So, in their mind it's much safer to go with a story or game in general that sold well in the past. Put some new bells and whistles on it and people will likely buy it. It's a win win for them, because there will likely be return customers to reexperience the games they enjoyed. I, for example, played RE4 on Wii back in the day, and yes, I do plan on getting the new one.

Now, why is this okay? Theoretically, the money they receive from these less risky remakes can better fund new games that studios want to produce. Think of all the skyrim copies that have sold. You can buy the damn thing on a toaster. But, we know they will still pump out games like starfield and ES6 and the money they received from other games will only help them with new projects.

So here's what I'm saying - Would I prefer totally new experiences and innovations in games? Yes of course. But I do see that it takes tuck loads of money to make a new game and it is a huge risk for companies and producers. So I don't mind them making less risky remake games that have proved to be enjoyable in order to fund new projects.

Entertainment gets remade every generation. New kids are born every year.

Many, if not most things that you enjoy are not original, you just have not come into contract with the original source that inspired it. Music, film, games; the problem was never about originality, but the execution. A badly executed original game is still a bad game. On the other hand having a classic game properly rebuilt so the new generation can enjoy it, I see it as a worthy goal.

I mean, technically every major Mario release is a remake of Super Mario Brothers. As long as it is well made i don't care that an older version existed.

kicker

Banned
Many, if not most things that you enjoy are not original, you just have not come into contract with the original source that inspired it. Music, film, games; the problem was never about originality, but the execution. A badly executed original game is still a bad game
It's not about being original, it's about striving for originality by improving on past ideas. Resident evil was a progression from games like house of the dead, If I recall, Imagine people had asked for direct remakes of them instead of a new idea.

Execution is another point but is not what's being discussed here. Wherher or not a game will be good is dependent on execution (GTA Trilogy is a badly executed remake, and Forspoken seems to be a badly executed new idea) that has little bearing on whether or not publishers should be funding more and more remakes over new games.

Wouldn't you rather have 10 new games knowing that only 3 might be great, than 10 remakes knowing you've played the originals several times already?
I mean, technically every major Mario release is a remake of Super Mario Brothers. As long as it is well made i don't care that an older version existed
No, technically every mario remake is a sequel since the core ideas are built and expanded on with new mechanics or level design.
To use your mario example, Imagine nintendo said they were remaking Super Mario 64 or Super Mario bros 2, and as a result they would be pushing their new mario game away by 4 years - would you really prefer that?

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Nah, improved control methods and modern QoL changes can make a huge difference imo.

I played through the Metroid Prime Remaster recently and the dual-stick controls really makes it a much nicer experience, for example.

Pardon me, I wasn't thinking about remakes in the form of Nintendo remastering hideous controls from gimmicky controllers.

I was thinking more traditional games.

RAIDEN1

Remakes just go to show how despite all the new fancy tech, the games themselves aren't on another level, that's why remakes like Dead Space, Resident Evil 4, Metal Gear Solid 3 (rumoured to be out somepoint in 2024) are being released because those games from a previous generation(s) are better than what you are getting now....

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Out of all the remakes and remasters, I think the only ones I bought were COD4 Remastered and Diablo 2 Resurrected. And they were worth it. COD 4 graphics were tidied up and included bot mode. D2: R's biggest improvements was probably the audio and some QOL improvements that made playing smoother.

So I guess I am a supporter as long as they make the games I want redone. But when I read threads about them, I generally tune out as it really has to be a game or franchise I like to rebuy a new version.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Because when millennials make their own games you get Foresworn and Gotham knights. They have no choice but to rip off the works of people who had more talent than them.
Oh it is a positive for me since I hate millennial games with a passion.
don't get you people who hate your own damn generation... but most of the people making those souless games aren't exactly the millenials as much as they are the 50+ year old corpo suits at the top who don't really know what gamers want

I think its funny how many people hate old games yet loves remasters.

It's the same game either way, just with different graphics.
Yea I disagree with this completely. RE4 being the best example as it's the most recent. When I first played that game years ago I loved every second if it. Would probably rank it in my top 10 games ever. I went to replay it in 2019 on ps4 and I couldn't play longer than 2 hours with how horrible and outdated the controls were. Game needed a remake to be playable in 2023, in my opinion at least.

For the actual poll though, I voted neutral. I don't really think they are inherently good or bad, they just give gamers more option.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
IF you make games it is positive, but cause you can slap some lipstick on your prettiest of pigs and make more money off of them. For gamers I think in the long run it has positive and negative factors. You get to play something you loved again or for the first time in a nicer presentation. Naughty Dog is abusing the process, but people keep buying TLOU like it is Skyrim so why wouldn't they keep doing it. Resources applied to a remake in resources not applied to something new. But revenue generated can create more resources for other games. Personally though I want new stuff.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If they're good then it's positive. How could it be negative if good games are being made?
I think the general counterargument to making remasters/remakes are:

• It's the same shit with a new coat of paint (creatively bankrupt)
  • It takes resources away from teams to make new games ("I played the game already 8 years ago, make a new IP")

Positives that I can think of..
a. Gives people jobs that could lead to working on something new.
b. Younger gamers getting to play a “hopefully improved“ version of classic.
c. Builds additional capital to fund new IP’s.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
No they arent...not good ones anyway. were you born in 2000 and dont know any better?

2007 for example:

God of war 2
Half life 2 ep 2
Bioshock
Mass effect
Super mario galaxy
Metroid prime 3
Uncharted
Stalker
Halo3
Modern warfare
Assassins creed
Crysis
Portal
Team fortress 2

Were released in one year. All ambitious titles. 2008 was arguably just as good.

We gettin years like that bro?
2022 for example:

Elden Ring
Neon White
Kirby and the Forgotten Land
God of War Ragnarok
Plague Tale Requirem
Gran Turismo 7
Destiny 2 Witch Queen
Signalis
Sifu
Xenoblade Chronicles 3
Cult of the Lamb
Splatoon 3
Chained Echoes
Rogue Legacy 2

Were released in one year. All ambitious titles. 2023 is arguably shaping up to be even better

You got years like that bro?

See? i can cherry pick critically acclaimed games from the last year as well. Notice how absolutely nothing on that list is a remake. Not ONE game. We've got enough new games coming out already

we get 2 remakes this year and people start shouting about how the industry is unoriginal and just like hollywood even though we get sequels and new IP from AAA and indie alike

Last edited:

AmuroChan

There are pros to cons to everything. Are some remakes unnecessary? Sure, but for a lot of gamers, remakes are also essentially new games to them because they've never played the original.

Minsc

Gold Member
I have no problem with remakes like FFVII where it's basically a new game - they are day and night different. Or remakes like Diablo 2, where it's more like a re-release with support for modern systems. They don't seem to keep new games from happening, and sometimes they are better than new games.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It’s the sad truth, but also understandable when so much money is on the line.

If you look at this year alone, a great output of AAA games, but I count only 2 original titles? (Hogwarts and Starfield)
Rest of ‘em are sequels and remakes.

I’m especially disappointed in Sony who have announced 0 new IP’s so far, while last gen they had:
- Bloodborne
- The Order
- Driveclub
- Horizon Zero Dawn
- Ghost of Tsushima
- Days Gone
- VR titles like: Astro Bot, Blood and Truth
There is Wolverine.

Also, there's the GAAS games coming, in which who knows what they are aside from Factions 2 and Horizon COTM.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
For remakes, the most absurd was the TLOU 1 remake just a few short years after the original.
how many actual remakes can you think of that have come out in the past 3 years?
There's like, RE4 Remake, RE3 Remake, Dead space, TLOU Part 1, uh....... what else?

Jesb

For a lot of remakes it’s the only way you’re going to get to enjoy those games. A lot of the new games are completely different.

_Ex_

Remakes are a positive for people who've never played the original, and don't have interest in playing older tech. Remakes are a positive for fans of the original game. Remakes are a positive for risk-averse publishers. I get all of that. But from a personal perspective, I prefer new experiences over rehashed nostalgia. I champion innovation over stagnation in this medium.

KillaJamm

After playing both the Dead Space Remake and Resident Evil 4, I can say the were both amazing. It's also generating interest in IP's that were stagnant and that is very positive.

2022 for example:

Elden Ring
Neon White
Kirby and the Forgotten Land
God of War Ragnarok
Plague Tale Requirem
Gran Turismo 7
Destiny 2 Witch Queen
Signalis
Sifu
Xenoblade Chronicles 3
Cult of the Lamb
Splatoon 3
Chained Echoes
Rogue Legacy 2

Were released in one year. All ambitious titles. 2023 is arguably shaping up to be even better

You got years like that bro?

See? i can cherry pick critically acclaimed games from the last year as well. Notice how absolutely nothing on that list is a remake. Not ONE game. We've got enough new games coming out already

we get 2 remakes this year and people start shouting about how the industry is unoriginal and just like hollywood even though we get sequels and new IP from AAA and indie alike
Lmao cherry picked? Uh no, im talking AAA games that were highly acclaimed AND highly anticipated and bred franchises and bar setters.

Every game I listed everyone knows what they are for one, and were AAA, and highly acclaimed.

Your list is not that, at all. to try and compare 2007 to 2022 is disingenuous. Either that or you're 23 and under and want to believe these past years mirrored that output.

If we cant agree 2007 was a better year than 2022...we have an issue. Gaming will die or continue this trebd because cant establish a standard.

Last edited:
No because sub HD games are the thing of the past and newer games require more development time.
But lets ignore new games and those coming like Elden Ring, Street Fighter 6, Modern Warfare II, Spiderman, Super Mario Oddysee, Tears of the Kingdom, Metroid Prime 4, Starfield, Resident Evil Village, Diablo 4, Uncharted 4, Metro Exodus, Tekken 8, etc.

Games like Resident evil 4 remake is more fun to play than 1/2 of those games combined. And that's not even a "NEW" game to the likes of you.
Doesn't need to all happen in a single year.
I'm a 70's kiddo
Resolution is not the only reason games are taking much longer to come out lmao

Monetization practices are the primary reason why games are taking longer to come out.

And re4 remake is better than mario galaxy? Hl2? Bioshock? God of war 2? Halo 3? STALKER?

is this your first time playeling re4 or something? The original re4 is hanging around the same metacritic as those games or lower so you cant say that objectively.

You must be young to not remember how seminole those titles were/are.

I cant believe as gamers were debating if currebt year and 2022 matches 2007 lmao were in trouble if we cant establish a standard we'll just keep getting fucked

Last edited:

Knightime_X

Resolution is not the only reason games are taking much longer to come out lmao

Monetization practices are the primary reason why games are taking longer to come out.

And re4 remake is better than mario galaxy? Hl2? Bioshock? God of war 2? Halo 3? STALKER?

is this your first time playeling re4 or something? The original re4 is hanging around the same metacritic as those games or lower so you cant say that objectively.

You must be young to not remember how seminole those titles were/are.

I cant believe as gamers were debating if currebt year and 2022 matches 2007 lmao were in trouble if we cant establish a standard we'll just keep getting fucked
Lol please tell us where the remakes and remasters touched you.
Your replies are soo aggressive and salty, lmao. Why?
I'm gonna buy a remake you don't like out of spite. 🤣🤣🤣

Lol please tell us where the remakes and remasters touched you.
Your replies are soo aggressive and salty, lmao. Why?
I'm gonna buy a remake you don't like out of spite. 🤣🤣🤣
Aggressive? Please show me which part of that post was aggressive toward you. I'm listening. Stop being a softy.

You however omitted any argument entirely and went for misdirection and moving the goal post to gaslighting lol thats way more mean spirited :,(

anyway back on topic. Wanted to add that also, that another argument against resolution not being the reason for the delays is that some of those titles were actually more ambitious than titles coming out now so them being "sub HD" isnt the issue.

Now you can either retort that, or just say that I must be hurt or something. Not my style but maybe its yours. People usually do that when they have nothing to say anymore...

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
if you can properly explain why those games are better than RE4 Remake then maybe people will understand your viewpoint
if you go on shouting to the rooftops about how a certain game you like is a masterpiece and never explain why.... who the fuck will take you seriously?

I don't always think it's risk aversion or get that money, even though it is all about money, in the end.

A lot of the games being remade were limited by hardware, the scope and vision could only be so much. Why not expand the experience and give the players what they imagined the game looked like.

I'm not talking Last of Us remake, that was silly, but Live a Live, FF7, RE4. Devs could only do so much with the hardware and now we have a pretty good system, why not I say, if done right.

jaysius

Banned
Industry is being fucking lazy, not hiring more writers, more story developers more tons of things, just recycling old content with a coat of paint.

Zombie gamers hungry for content are sucking it up so fast the industry can't keep up with the remakes they're pushing out.

It's destroying gaming.

Top Bottom