• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There will be more MCU Spider-Man movies with Tom Holland

VulcanRaven

Fandango: You know, as you wrap up this trilogy of films in collaboration with Marvel Studios…

Amy Pascal: Can I say something about that?

Fandango: Sure.

Amy Pascal: This is not the last movie that we are going to make with Marvel – [this is not] the last Spider-Man movie. We are getting ready to make the next Spider-Man movie with Tom Holland and Marvel, it just isn't part of… we're thinking of this as three films, and now we're going to go onto the next three. This is not the last of our MCU movies.

Fandango: It’s great to know that this collaboration is going to continue.

Amy Pascal: Yes, Marvel and Sony are going to keep going together as partners.
"Fandango: I’m sure fans will be happy to hear that. You know, speaking of the fans, many of them want to see Tom Holland’s Spider-Man go up against Tom Hardy's Venom. They want to see a live-action Miles Morales. What would you say to those things? Do you have stuff in the works?

Amy Pascal: I would say there's so many things that we're going to be able to explore, but what we always have to do before we decide who the villain is going to be and what Spidey goes up against is what is the story we're telling about? You know? What's the Peter Parker story we're telling? What's the Miles Morales story that we're telling? But we always have to start with that. The good thing about these movies is as big as the canvas they take place on can be, they are always just stories about a kid."

I'm not a big fan of the MCU Spider-Man but this might be a good thing. Venom: Let There Be Carnage wasnt't very good so I'm not sure if I would trust Sony to make a new Tom Holland Spider-Man movie without Marvel.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Fandango: Would you say that this movie wraps a bow around 20 years of live action Spider-Man movies?

Amy Pascal: Well, here's what I would say. I would say that it's the culmination of the Homecoming trilogy, of the story of Tom Holland becoming the Spider-Man that we've all been waiting for him to be. It certainly tells that story and it does... and as you know from seeing the trailers, it does bring some of the characters from the early movies together. And yes, wrapping a bow around it sounds nice.

Fandango: You know, as you wrap up this trilogy of films in collaboration with Marvel Studios…

Amy Pascal: Can I say something about that?

Fandango: Sure.

Amy Pascal: This is not the last movie that we are going to make with Marvel – [this is not] the last Spider-Man movie. We are getting ready to make the next Spider-Man movie with Tom Holland and Marvel, it just isn't part of… we're thinking of this as three films, and now we're going to go onto the next three. This is not the last of our MCU movies.

Fandango: It’s great to know that this collaboration is going to continue.

Amy Pascal: Yes, Marvel and Sony are going to keep going together as partners.

So No Way Home wraps up the Homecoming trilogy, but they're already planning on a new trilogy with Marvel Studios and Tom Holland set in the MCU.

Well ofc they will. They've been setting up Vulture, Venom and Morbius for a while to go against him but I do think they'll add Miles to help him out at some point.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
MCU haters everywhere

he-cant-keep-getting-away-with-it-fed-up.gif

McCheese

Congrats, turns out his staged interviews the past few weeks where he mentions he wants to stop playing Spiderman worked out well for him negotiating a pay rise.

SJRB

Gold Member
Good for Tom, that dude's acting career is straight up roadkill outside of the MCU.

Rake in those millions and retire at 35, my guy.

bitbydeath

Maybe this new trilogy is his chance to stand alone and stop depending so much on existing MCU heroes (Iron Man, Dr. Strange).
It’s going to become more common across the board. Cap’s Civil War was just the start.

Dr Strange will have Wanda.
Thor will have the Guardians
The Marvels has Rambeau

Last edited:

sol_bad

Maybe this new trilogy is his chance to stand alone and stop depending so much on existing MCU heroes (Iron Man, Dr. Strange).

The fact that he is a kid and feels and comes across as a kid in these current films make me OK that he has mentor figures.
But honestly, re-watching 1 and 2, he does stand on his own. Yeah, Tony shows up in the first film after the ferry scene to put Pete in his place. Why does he put Pete in his place, because he is making his own decisions and dealing with issues in his own way and learning and making mistakes as he goes. Even after his advanced suit is taken away from him he is still standing on his own and does one of the craziest things he has to do (at that point). He screws up again and has a building dropped on him.

In the 2nd film he is still learning and making mistakes.

Can't comment on how his relationship works with Doctor Strange at this stage for obvious reasons.

Javthusiast

Banned
Don't really like Holland, so meh. But, new director maybe? Who has more of a unique directing style than Jon Watts mcu spideys we got so far, which are bland visually and fight choreography wise.

ManaByte

Don't really like Holland, so meh. But, new director maybe? Who has more of a unique directing style than Jon Watts mcu spideys we got so far, which are bland visually and fight choreography wise.

Would have to be a new director. Sony is under a time limit to get a new Spider-Man movie in production and now that No Way Home is done Jon Watts is making Fantastic Four.

sol_bad

I think the drone attack is one of the best choreographed Spidey action scenes ever made. Intense as all hell and it's set in a unique location that Pete takes advantage off.
And the Peter tingle scene against Mysterio is sublime as he gains full control of his spider sense.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I love that Spider-Man is in the MCU, but I feel like it has sort of scrambled my Spidey-loving brain.

I can't quite accept the timeline of events. Spider-Man going to space, fighting on an alien planet, and turning to dust for five years, before coming back and trying to enjoy a vacation weirds me out for some reason.
I'm not sure whether it is just the insane series events, for such a typically grounded character (then again, not really, but we tend to think of him that way,) or the fact that they seem to have such little effect on his life that bug me, but I'm starting to think it's the latter.

Spider-Man seemed to have some form of PTSD at the start of FFH. That makes sense to me and I wish they would have ran with that rather than shoving him off into a vacation getaway comedy.

Javthusiast

Banned
I think the drone attack is one of the best choreographed Spidey action scenes ever made. Intense as all hell and it's set in a unique location that Pete takes advantage off.
And the Peter tingle scene against Mysterio is sublime as he gains full control of his spider sense.
I give you that one.

That's just how the MCU is. Seems like they'll never step outside the mold and let their directors do something visually interesting. (GOTG and Ragnarok do not deviate from the formula)

The Skull

Just drop the cringe shitty humour and make a good movie although that seems to much to expect from a standalone Spidey movie in the MCU.

You mean the action formula in general right?
The MCU formula which is very specific and always the same (though I've yet to see Eternals). TV model with Feige essentially as the showrunner, directors being hired hands or equivalent to TV guest directors. It drives me crazy how bland everything MCU is, visually, personality wise, there's no flair, it feels to me as if whoever's at the helm, it doesn't matter. Look also at how many fantastic DPs are wasted on these films, most of them putting in some of the worst work they've ever done. So restrictive. Say what you will about DC but most of them (mainly Zack Snyder, let's be honest) have an actual vision.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
It's going to be weird when he's pushing forty swinging alongside his teenage daughter (played by an actress in her mid-twenties and is taller than him) with greying hair but still has a face like 15 year old and is 5' 5" or however short he is.

sol_bad

The MCU formula which is very specific and always the same (though I've yet to see Eternals). TV model with Feige essentially as the showrunner, directors being hired hands or equivalent to TV guest directors. It drives me crazy how bland everything MCU is, visually, personality wise, there's no flair, it feels to me as if whoever's at the helm, it doesn't matter. Look also at how many fantastic DPs are wasted on these films, most of them putting in some of the worst work they've ever done. So restrictive. Say what you will about DC but most of them (mainly Zack Snyder, let's be honest) have an actual vision.

All the same? So GOTG1, Doctor Strange, Ant-Man and the Wasp and Iron Man 3 are all the same? Infinity War and Engame contain the exact same structure?

I don't think you have actually spent any time looking into how these films are made. No interviews, no retrospectives, no making of videos. Nor have you looked at the body of work the various directors have done and seen how similar their MCU films are to their previous films.

MCU movies are collaborative works, like 90% of big budget Hollywood films. There are tones of movies made that have 2nd units filming stuff for directors and stunt teams that handle the action for the directors. Stop acting like it's just the MCU that does this.

Neolombax

Don't have any issues with Tom Holland really, I think he does good work as Spiderman. My only hope is that they don't reboot Spidey again, for whatever reason.

It’s going to become more common across the board. Cap’s Civil War was just the start.

Dr Strange will have Wanda.
Thor will have the Guardians
The Marvels has Rambeau
You're absolutely right, Civil War did start it. Part of me can't help but feel like it was Marvel trying to do a proper Avengers movie after the Age of Ultron dud.

Thankfully, in most individual movies so far, the hero stood on his own. Yes, there are moments here and there in those movies that remind you that the hero is part of a larger shared universe, but nothing so in-your-face and constant like in Spider-Man.

The fact that he is a kid and feels and comes across as a kid in these current films make me OK that he has mentor figures.
But honestly, re-watching 1 and 2, he does stand on his own. Yeah, Tony shows up in the first film after the ferry scene to put Pete in his place. Why does he put Pete in his place, because he is making his own decisions and dealing with issues in his own way and learning and making mistakes as he goes. Even after his advanced suit is taken away from him he is still standing on his own and does one of the craziest things he has to do (at that point). He screws up again and has a building dropped on him.

In the 2nd film he is still learning and making mistakes.

Can't comment on how his relationship works with Doctor Strange at this stage for obvious reasons.
There's a difference between being mentored and having the mentoring character essentially be a co-protagonist.

In the very first Raimi Spider-Man movie, Peter DOES get mentored, in a way: uncle Ben's "with great power comes great responsibility" is arguably the best 10 seconds of mentoring in pretty much any superhero movie. But that's all it is. 10 seconds (might not be literally 10, but it's a ballpark figure; using it to illustrate a point here, no need to take me to an international court of law if it's not exactly 10 😂). Then the rest of not just the movie, but the TRILOGY, Peter is pretty much on his own.

Compare that with:
- Overt mentoring from Stark in Homecoming, with A LOT of Stark screentime. I mean, you can tell, not only is Stark in the promotional poster, so is Iron Man!
- I would argue this much screentime was unnecessary because a mentoring relationship between these characters had already been established in the third Captain America movie.
- The primary villain of Homecoming becomes a villain due to the actions of Stark and others. Was this the case in the comics? Vulture seems like a good villain and was honestly played brilliantly by Michael Keaton.
- The primary villain of No Way Home becomes a villain due to the actions of Stark, in a movie where all the technology is Stark-provided and Stark's presence looms heavily in almost every aspect.

I wouldn't call this "standing on his own." In fact, while writing my response I started thinking, "man, are these Spider-Man movies, or Iron Man movies?" 😂 Being a bit facetious, but yeah, there's a difference between occasionally reminding audiences that there's a shared universe, and depending so heavily on that shared universe in your individual hero's movie, that you start compromising the identity of your individual hero that you're supposed to be focusing on.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I mean, it makes sense. They struck gold with Holland. He still looks like a fetus. He could be making Spiderman movies into his fifties and still look appropriate for the part.

Wvrs

It's going to be weird when he's pushing forty swinging alongside his teenage daughter (played by an actress in her mid-twenties and is taller than him) with greying hair but still has a face like 15 year old and is 5' 5" or however short he is.
For real, he's a great high-school Spidey but I can't see him ever maturing into the role as an adult, leading Avenger.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
The MCU characters is the ONLY reason Sony is allowing Marvel to make the movies. They want that in all of them.
This, as long as there is an MCU they'll keep pushing this Spider-Man.
I wouldn't be surprised if part of the contract is he can not die unless he is replaced by another Spider-Man.
Hopefully the College Years will be more like the previous Spider-Man films and with less Stark tech and Peter standing on his own.
And the Real MJ or Gwen as she was first.
Also another 3 films?
Tom looks like you did something wrong as you'll definitely be 30 by time you done them 😂

Last edited:
Top Bottom