• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There will come a point where professional sports records can't be broken

*Nightwing

Nope, once the human body has hit its limit it is technology that will help push to break the records like is happening with running currently
..also there will always be freaks built for a particular sport that dedicate themselves to it like Michael Phelps did, or people starting young dedicating their lives to a sport like Tiger Woods that can break the records in sports where that level of dedication hasn’t been applied yet

mxbison

Usain Bolt records impossible to beat?

You literally just need one dude with even better genetics and even more juice to run just 0.01 sec faster and none of those records matter anymore.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
You underestimate the power of performance enhancers. You think once performance enhancing nanites exist, sports cheats won't use them?

eclipze

Most sports records are subjective to the rules at the time the records were achieved. I’m more interested in records of pure athletic feats, such as track or swimming. 100m will always be 100m. Can’t say the same about a record within the context of an NFL season.

Hari Seldon

To put it in perspective, in a typical NHL season in modern times, that consists of 82 games, there might be one 50 goal scorer, period. You are lucky to get 40 goal scorers these days.

In the 1981-82 season, Gretzky had NINETY TWO goals in 80 Games played, and 120 assists for an insane 212 total points.

It was like he had a permanent cheat code enabled when playing. He was *that* good. I despised him because he racked up a lot of said points against my team haha
I feel like Gretzky transitioned the nhl from beer league nonsense to an actual professional league. If you took say Ovechkin to 1980 he would score 700 goals per season with how pathetic goaltending, defense, and coaching were back then.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Lots of Gretzky records will never be broken.

You'd need a long career, play on a high powered offence, be a top scorer and passer and the rules and play style would have to revert to run and gun 1980s with small goalie pads to give a player a sniff at his records.

He's got something like 800 more pts than the next closest player (regular season) and 90 more in playoff to the second highest guy.

The game now has the best regular season scorer getting about 120 pts a year. And that doesnt even happen every year. So some guy would have to play 24 healthy seasons in a row at 120 never slowing down just to match. So a guy starting at 18 and retiring at 42. In modern day, a player hitting 1,500 over his career is even a stretch. McDavid might not even get 1,500 if he gets injured. He's currently at about 600.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I feel like Gretzky transitioned the nhl from beer league nonsense to an actual professional league. If you took say Ovechkin to 1980 he would score 700 goals per season with how pathetic goaltending, defense, and coaching were back then.
No doubt.

If modern day Ovechkin time warped to 1984 I wouldnt be surprised if he scored 200. The guy is scoring 50/yr now and back then (as you said) it was a joke how bad players and systems were.. If he could get 400 shots and 50 goals during his career, he'd get double minimum. And just imagine what McDavid or MacKinnon could do.

And back then, it was so cringeworthy, top players had 20% shooting % and the avg goalie had a save % of maybe .880. Some starters were at 4.80 GAA and a save % of .860.

Watching classic clips, it's amazing how immobile d-men were back then especially the big guys like Snepsts or Brad Marsh.

The only thing old time hockey would have as a counter was it was rough as fuck and who knows how modern day players would react to tons of bruisers taking penalty minutes roughing, checking, playing dirty and not giving a shit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom