• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theres simply not enough talent in this industry. Everyone wants to be in Hollywood. Gaming culture and stereotypes have killed the desire to be a....

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Video Game Developer.

• Every AAA game looks the same.
  • AAA Games take 5-7 years to make.
  • Everything is a fucking secret.
  • Gaming culture is an embarrassment.
  • There hasn't been any new game mechanics/formulas introduced in AAA gaming since the PS360 era.
  • The PS360 era was the last time game design evolved. Its been the exact same since then with better graphics.
  • Why are 99% of Open World games still following the basic GTA 3 mission structure and design formula?
  • What happened to destructible environments and physics?
  • Why the FUCK does BOTW have some of the best physics in gaming? On that weak ass console?
  • Speaking of graphics, only a few studios actually make great looking games now. 80% of them are under Sony control.
  • Why does every Japanese character-action game look like some anime ass shit with putrid visuals?
  • Why does FROM have amazing art design and shit ass tech? Why can only select few companies achieve both?
  • Why is nothing as cool as the last 40 minutes of Top Gun: Maverick
  • Why do so many indie games use the same artstyle?
  • Why are there so many remakes?
  • Why are there so many remasters?
  • What the fuck is the difference between the two anyhow? Who really cares? DO you actually care?

Where are the talented up and coming game developers?

Where are the Ari Asters, Matt Reeves, Roger Eggers, Jordan Peele, Ryan Coogler, Nia DaCosta, Chloé Zhao, Alex Garland's of the game world? Talented game up and coming directors with ambition and the desire to push the medium forward with great gameplay design, new ideas, and just pure quality?

Better yet, where are the James Camerons, Ridley Scotts, Tarantino's, Christopher Nolan, Alejandro González Iñárritu's, David Fincher, Martin Scorsese's of the game world? World renowned game developers who have produced top quality shit and pushed the medium forward.

Miyamoto is the most famous person the industry has ever seen, but he's stuck making shit for terrible and outdated hardware. Imagine if James Cameron was limited to making movies that could only be viewed on an iPhone screen and shot with a Canon T5i. Thats Miyamoto.

Why is no one trying to develop new gameplay mechanics, better more interactive worlds, new AI, better moment to moment gameplay loops, More visceral and immersive combat??

Why was Ghost of Tsushima praised so much? It had basic ass combat and every single enemy had the same exact death animation, the standoffs were all identical too, and the stealth gameplay was stuck in 2003 with auto-fail missions once your character is seen. Why is "hide in tall grass, throw stone" still the hallmark of every fucking stealth game? Why is everyone still following the same third person cover shooter mechanics that Gears of War introduced in 2006? Why does Starfield look exactly like No Mans Sky? Why is The Last of Us still basically the benchmark for storytelling in games a decade later?

Why can no game make you cry? Or genuinely laugh? Why are there NO new ideas anymore? Why is everything just bigger and not better? Why is everything so ... mediocre.

Fuck.

I guess the medium is still young. But I feel theres simply not enough talent.

Last edited:

Zones

tenor.gif

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Movie games have been getting their ass kicked by game games for a few years now. That trend will only continue growing.

But overall I agree with your perspective OP.

Edit: And to answer your question...because AAA games all take 5+ years to develop, and are getting insanely expensive, so progress moves at a snail's pace.

Last edited:

Chronicle

I kinda agree especially with the whole no major upgrades since ps3/360 Era. I just viewed last gen as a continuation of that with better graphics but have really seen nothing so far this gen. I used to play a lot of sports games but have completely stopped because there has been no innovation whatsoever since graphical improvements in the ps3/360 gen. Fuck you can even argue since the ps2 xbox Era for sports games.

Terrible.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Another thread from someone on a gaming forum who doesnt like gaming huh?

I guessing games like It Takes Two, Unravel, Plucky Squire, Deaths Door, Hades honestly a shit ton of unique and amazing experiences both graphically and gameplay wise dont count because reasons?

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Video Game Developer.

Where are the talented up and coming game developers?

Where are the Ari Asters, Matt Reeves, Roger Eggers, Jordan Peele, Ryan Coogler, Nia DaCosta, Chloé Zhao, Alex Garland's of the game world? Talented game up and coming directors with ambition and the desire to push the medium forward with great gameplay design, new ideas, and just pure quality?

The new ones with talent aren't welcome in the gaming industry anymore victims of the culture war, People are being hired for how woke they are now ,
IGN's old eyecandy is a writer for God of War for...reasons I can't get into on a non political forum....the modern gaming industry is almost completely dead

Represent.

I guessing games like It Takes Two, Unravel, Plucky Squire, Deaths Door, Hades honestly a shit ton of unique and amazing experiences both graphically and gameplay wise dont count because reasons?

None of those are AAA games. I want new experiences and medium advancing games in the AAA space.

In Hollywood, we just had Top Gun which had possibly the best set pieces ive seen in cinema. Its not the same.
The new ones with talent aren't welcome in the gaming industry anymore victims of the culture war, People are being hired for how woke they are now ,
IGN's old eyecandy is a writer for God of War for...reasons I can't get into on a non political forum....the modern gaming industry is almost completely dead
Alanah Pearce or someone else?

Hollywood offers far more benefits honestly from a lifestyle point of view. Only groupies you get as a game designer are overweight middle age balding men. If I had the option I'd much rather direct a movie than a game. Faster turn around, sometimes less restrictions and the lifestyle is far far more rewarding from a vanity POV...that being said gaming is the better medium. Play some indies...AAA gaming is the blockbusters of movies...blockbusters been uninspired since the 90s...you seen dr strange? Go play inside, hollow knight, journey. like in film indie is where the true innovation happens.

NikuNashi

The fact that OP is getting attacked for saying something most real gamers can get behind is a sorry thing.

People be liking movie games that play like all the other movie games that's clogged the channels for the last 20 years apparently...

I don't see him getting attacked, much. He's not wrong, totally understandable and hard to dispute perspective.

Apart from the Miyamoto stuff, limits and constraints have always been present In gaming and have spurred creative solutions. But yeah being tied to a 2016 pie e of hardware in 2022 is indefensible.

Blame graphics whore?
They are probably the reason why games takes so long to make
Cause every game needs to melt eyeballs nowdays or they will called it trash
Devs are scare of their game being diss for the graphics

Batiman

Banned
I had a very great idea of any dev wants to make it. It’s called “console wars”. A cross platform group brawl fighting game where you only face off against the opposing console. Master chief vs Kratos or you can choose Phil spencer or Jim Ryan etc. Open mic with no bans. Toxic as can be.

I’m dead serious this game would be huge!

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
  • Every AAA game looks the same.

AAA development has become as formulaic as Hollywood blockbusters. But it makes sense for AAA developers to follow the formula because high production values and formulaic gameplay is how you hit. It's too risky to spend all of that money to take a chance and flop.

The passion and talent in gaming is in the same place it is in movies. It's in the indie/art house scene where ideas are trying to break through.

Wildebeest

Necessity is the mother of invention. Like Starfield is using some barely functional old engine and bad shooting mechanics from Fallout 3 because they don't have a reason to deal with the pain of doing something better.

Represent.

who framed roger rabbit crying GIF

My GOD how many threads complaining about the industry are we going to get?!!

STOP PLAYING AAA GAMES ONLY!!!!!

This is on you.
My GOTY is Sifu, an indie game.

I need more of that in the AAA space.

Stop telling people what to play. Im just saying theres a bunch of samey shit in the industry in the AAA space. The answer is not to stop playing AAA games. Its for there to be more talent in the AAA space so we get new ideas, etc. Why are you offended by me saying this? :messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
If you are looking for games to be more than dopamine hits, searching among "AAA games. . ." is an odd tack to take. If you aren't just looking at AAA gaming and instead are actually looking at games developed by your Lucas Pope's, Klei Studios, Jonathon Blows, et. al. then you're kinda being dishonest.

. . .either way this is a wild thread, whose audience is unclear.

Kataploom

Gold Member
OP likes to talk shit about Nintendo and they're exactly the ones doing what he/she wants the rest of the industry to do lol... Maybe stretching a little too far for him/her tho

WTF I NEED THIS <3

Better yet, where are the James Camerons, Ridley Scotts, Tarantino's, Christopher Nolan, Alejandro González Iñárritu's, David Fincher, Martin Scorsese's of the game world?

Warren Spector, John Carmack, Will Wright, Richard Garriott, Shigeru Miyamoto, Hidetaka Miyazaki, Yoko Taro, Sid Meier, Satoru Iwata, Hideo Kojima, Tim Schafer, Chris Avellone, Jeremy Soule, Chris Sawyer, Daniel Vávra, Jonathan Blow, Gabe Newell, Hironobu Sakaguchi, Roberta Williams, Cory Barlog...

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
My GOTY is Sifu, an indie game.

I need more of that in the AAA space.

Stop telling people what to play. Im just saying theres a bunch of samey shit in the industry in the AAA space. The answer is not to stop playing AAA games. Its for there to be more talent in the AAA space so we get new ideas, etc. Why are you offended by me saying this? :messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying:

I’m not offended by you saying this, but this site has had so much pissing and moaning about the AAA industry in the last couple days. It’s getting old.

Here’s the reality; you’re not going to get new ideas in the AAA space because it’s too much of a risk. Development costs are enormous, and one big bomb can be devastating.

Things will never be the way they were.

Top Bottom