• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theres simply not enough talent in this industry. Everyone wants to be in Hollywood. Gaming culture and stereotypes have killed the desire to be a....

Oof85

We need more Kojimas, sadly he's never been matched since 1998.

With that said I chuckled at the nintendo praise, their lineup is the least inspiring out of all three.
Really? To me, I see MS and then Nintendo as holding the freak flag highest atm.
Freak flags are great by the way. It's where innovation tends to come from.

Last edited:

zkorejo

Good thread OP. I habe been asking this myself for years.

Nobody cares about the story, gameplay elements. Majority AAA devs just focus on graphics and call it a day.

I do disagree with GoT though. Yes it wasn't doing anything new, but the combat was pretty damn good and the story was better than every assassin's Creed game since black flag. Comparing to AC because it felt like it was what AC should have turned into.

Ps360 era was the best gaming era for me. So many amazing games and franchises of different genres, original stories, developers always trying to do new things done.

Konami fucked up. ND is trying God knows what with their nonsensical controlling the narrative shit. Rockstar games is taking even longer to create new games. Bethesda is shit now. Ubisoft has become a mass manufacturing company with Ctrl+C/V formula.

You know you don't have anything original that's good when market is full of remasters and remakes.

Last edited:

levyjl1988

Banned
Agreed. Modern gaming sucks.

Every fucking game now has some sort of Season or Battle Pass, microtransactions, FOMO, time-limited events, etc.
I loved the era of gaming where games were sold as whole products instead of releasing a buggy game at launch and patch it later mentality.

nocsi

Agreed. Modern gaming sucks.

Every fucking game now has some sort of Season or Battle Pass, microtransactions, FOMO, time-limited events, etc.
I loved the era of gaming where games were sold as whole products instead of releasing a buggy game at launch and patch it later mentality.
The only era that wasn't shit was the in-between period that existed after arcade games and before the nightmare you laid out. The modern gaming experience is some sort of ephemeral persistent service that continually drains gamers on a calculated monthly basis. A monthly feeding trough just to light up enough dopamine receptors to keep people hooked, but not enough for people to escape. The industry learned too much from Netflix's psychology based programming and leveraged what they did in that space

Tams

Gold Member
There are still plenty of new games that I enjoy that don't try and milk you, turn you upside down and shake out your pockets.

Many do, I don't bother with them or quickly go tired of them (Overwatch 2 being the latest example for me).

If you want a surefire bet, Nintendo games, things are really just as they have been, just better because the hardware is more powerful than it was. Really no FOMO in their games, with what you get at launch being a good meaty experience almost all the time.

There are of course others. Stray was fantastic. No Man's Sky is now great. The recent Spiderman games have been great. God of War looks to be super. The Witcher 3 too, and Cyberpunk 2077 despite the poor launch is certainly worth it.

Zug

I kind of agree with your post, "gaming" is mostly a cradle of intellectual mediocrity, which is sad, because there is so much potential in this medium.
It just reflects it's audience though.

Nonetheless, I find hope in games that reward creativity (and modding in general), as opposed to mindless and bland gavage-feeding experiences (looking at you Ubi), which are also prevalent in the TV industry nowadays.

They've always appealed to the lowest common denominator, i don't know what to tell you. They're designed for mass appeal and to sell as much as they can. Right now, the budget required for your definition of "AAA" is so high that taking risks is suicide. That's not going to change and it'll continue to dwindle until the games that fall into your definition of "AAA" will go extinct, and you'll be paying a monthly fee for streaming services or whatever the fuck the future of console gaming is, i don't care. But right now, that's basically inevitable. Oh, and right now we're in "Remake/Remaster" era. That's what this generation will be defined as in the long run. Nintendo's the wild card here, i honestly have no idea what their future is. Pray that they last.

This isn't directed at you, OP, but what i would recommend, in general, is to put down your PS5 and the handful of third person action games you stroke your dick for because they're exclusive for a couple of years and then released on PC anyway, aggressively push yourself out of your rotting comfort zone and actually play some video games that stimulate your brain.

Of course the most popular AAA games are garbage these days.

That's why you have to look at the more niche titles if you want to see quality.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I came here to disagree and came out agreeing based on your bullet points.

One thing I can say is that the tech, tools, and anything revolving making the games is in a good direction. Does that mean that visuals are everything? No, but what has transitioned in the last 15ish years to cause the mass market to buy more crap than ever.

In some ways I wish people could be injected with a bit of the 80s and 90s. To be alive during a time without all the BS. Yes, sorry but separate from tech and medical advances, it was a better time to be growing up.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
They've always appealed to the lowest common denominator, i don't know what to tell you. They're designed for mass appeal and to sell as much as they can. Right now, the budget required for your definition of "AAA" is so high that taking risks is suicide. That's not going to change and it'll continue to dwindle until the games that fall into your definition of "AAA" will go extinct, and you'll be paying a monthly fee for streaming services or whatever the fuck the future of console gaming is, i don't care. But right now, that's basically inevitable. Oh, and right now we're in "Remake/Remaster" era. That's what this generation will be defined as in the long run. Nintendo's the wild card here, i honestly have no idea what their future is. Pray that they last.

This isn't directed at you, OP, but what i would recommend, in general, is to put down your PS5 and the handful of third person action games you stroke your dick for because they're exclusive for a couple of years and then released on PC anyway, aggressively push yourself out of your rotting comfort zone and actually play some video games that stimulate your brain.

5c9b8cd53eab6d1a53d66eadcb7b5de5.gif

There is alot of factors......Im struggling to find workforce in my country for my game Soundgrass. The game fills everything the OP complains but that doesnt mean its easy to make it happen......I've been searching for a good all around Unreal dev for a while here. Its not an industry easy to enter and most of the countries are still decades behind the workforce needed

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Why does every Japanese character-action game look like some anime ass shit with putrid visuals?
Japanese character action game always been “anime” since original DMC, most of us what like about it. That mostly your issue more than the games.

Top Bottom