• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Things ER could learn from Ubisoft and things Ubisoft could learn from ER

Ritsumei2020

Report me for console warring
To me its obvious that Ubisoft could learn a lot from looking at ER,

It’s refreshing to play an open world game without lootboxes or mtx or knowing that when you open a chest you will find something useful instead of junk. Or knowing you wont need experience boosters or shit like that to make the game go faster.

But this seems one-sided. What could From learn from Ubisoft that would make their games better?

MaKTaiL

14MOy01.jpg

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Ubi could learn that checklists, UI clutter and gigantic waypoints aren't required.

ER could learn how to step up it's glitch compilation Omega kek game. Also, having a horse that's NOT a microtransaction dependent dress me up doll? Major missed financial opportunity.

Plantoid

I kinda liked how the "journal" in odyssey gave you just directions "south of limgrave" or "below the only statue holding lance and shield"

They could utilize that, but fused with map from metro exodus

Other than that, nothing

Ritsumei2020

Report me for console warring
Ok I see the discussion is rather one-sided, I expected it tbh

So Ill just throw out something that people may or may not agree with:

People seem to enjoy the real-life locations in Ubisoft games. Even Ghost of Tsushima (GoT) seems to have made a splash with its real world inspiration.

Is that something From could make more of in the future?

Banned
nothing... maybe better performance? but even then, many Ubisoft engines had issues on PC in the past with really bad CPU utilization or just really heavy games in general. like playing Watch_Dogs 2 at 60fps back when it released was almost impossible on most PCs at the time. even when using checkerboarding.
I played the game on my Old PC, Ryzen 2600 + GTX1070oc + 8GB 3200 DDR4 and I barely got it running at 1440p 60 WITH checkerboarding enabled! THAT IS RIDICULOUS for a game of its age!

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

People seem to enjoy the real-life locations in Ubisoft games. Even Ghost of Tsushima (GoT) seems to have made a splash with its real world inspiration.

I personally love fantastical setting that FROM games make.

And they already did that with Sekiro’s Sengoku period.

fart town usa

Gold Member

Souls games take place in Detroit though.

EDMIX

How about no both of them don't need to learn anything from each other both of them need to stay in their own lane and make the game that their audience like no need to copy from each other

Agreed.

I love From Soft games but they have no amount of variety compared to all those Ubisoft teams and Ubisoft won't have the deep level of combat found in FromSoft titles.

Both have things they do very well, neither needs to do what the other one does.

So just cause I like beating hard bosses on FromSoft games, doesn't fucking mean I want to take 50 tries to kill someone in Watchdogs and just cause I like driving boats, riding the train and going across cities, doesn't mean I want to fucking do that shit in Fromsoft games either

EDMIX

I have issues with Elden Ring although minor, but there is absolutely not a God damn thing they need to learn from Ubisoft. They can keep all their gender neutral Odin boated garbage on their side of the tracks.

huh? Don't you make your character on Elder Ring too? Like you choose a boy or girl? lol

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Which is why in pretty much every modern UBI-Openworld you can turn them off. Choice, what a wonderful thing!

HOLY FUCK REALLY?!?!,!

I platinumed Odyssey and all the DLC, don't worry, I'm not saying your favorite franchise is trash.

I WILL say, regardless of the ability to "turn it off," it doesn't change the fact that the games are all basically designed around a waypoint system. Elden Ring isn't different because the waypoints are turned off, it's different because the open world was designed with freedom and non-linearity a la the original Legend of Zelda.

Having settings at crutches isn't a good look for any game. Having options is cool, but if I turn on subtitles in a game because the game was designed with shitty audio quality or mixing, it's more problematic than if I switch them on because it's too noisy in my house to hear.

DavidGzz

How about no both of them don't need to learn anything from each other both of them need to stay in their own lane and make the game that their audience like no need to copy from each other

I disagree, AC became much better to me once they adopted From style combat over the cinematic press X to win from the previous titles. Ubisoft dropping MTX and questions all over the map would be a great start.

I think we need more competition in this genre from bid developers. At the moment, it's just Nioh, all other Souls style games are made by indy devs or are janky and kind of lame like Lords of The Fallen or Code Vein.

MrTentakel

Ubisoft is a game factory. They produce with a gigantic staff similar experiences, using the same scrapbook, sharing assets and are verry efficent.
Ubisoft is like a fast food chain. you drop in fast, it gives you a short fun time followed up by the desire to throw up and diabetes type 2.

From Software creates worlds, you need to invest time to get into, it´s not a fast snack. You will fight for your enjoyment. But it will last.

They shall not mix, both have their niche.

I disagree, AC became much better to me once they adopted From style combat over the cinematic press X to win from the previous titles. Ubisoft dropping MTX and questions all over the map would be a great start.

I think we need more competition in this genre from bid developers. At the moment, it's just Nioh, all other Souls style games are made by indy devs or are janky and kind of lame like Lords of The Fallen or Code Vein.
You know you can disable all of the icons on the map in Ass Creed right if you want it like that than disable it you can also disable most of the HUD too so i don't get why people are complaining about things that can be disable it make me think they have not even really play the game but just complain cause it a cool thing to do

DavidGzz

You know you can disable all of the icons on the map in Ass Creed right if you want it like that than disable it you can also disable most of the HUD too so i don't get why people are complaining about things that can be disable it make me think they have not even really play the game but just complain cause it a cool thing to do

And if ER had an easy mode, you could also ignore it, right? Ignoring/disabling isn't the same. We could go back and forth all day the way people who want an easy mode because it needs to be more accesible and people who know it would change the game do, but nah, I'm done. Games need to have things be default and not an option you can even turn on or it changes the whole game, in my opinion.

Games need to have more focus. If there are all of these options, how does the dev convey how it should be played? Create a game and have a vision and stick to that vision. That's what makes From Software games so special.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Good graphics and competent tech

Combat that isn’t an afterthought

Last edited:
And if ER had an easy mode, you could also ignore it, right? Ignoring/disabling isn't the same. We could go back and forth all day the way people who want an easy mode because it needs to be more accesible and people who know it would change the game do, but nah, I'm done. Games need to have things be default and not an option you can even turn on or it changes the whole game, in my opinion.
Honestly i would not care if ER had a Easy and Medium mode it would not make me enjoy it less i would still play on the hardest mode it would make no difference to me example of a beloved game Witcher 3 has a difficulty mode and markers all over the map did it ruined the game hell no so i don't get this idea that adding options ruined games i also don't care for the need to add options i'm neutral on this that why i say games don't need to copy each other

R6Rider

Gold Member
One thing Ubisoft games (at least recently) do good is their accessibility options they have.

That's one of the first things I noticed in Elden Ring. It lacks settings beyond the very basics.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
You think he cares taht ubi gave their games customisable ui lolz.

Yeah, I really don't, lmao.

I only fuck with settings as far as aligning the camera and aiming the way I like and turning on subtitles, because I've been conditioned to prefer them. That aside, something has to be EGREGIOUS for me to fuck with it in the options. UI shit in general, I always leave on. Not because I'm a purist and the default settings are the intended way to play herp derp or anything, but because UI clutter has never bothered me, from the day the know it all brothers told me I could toggle the mini map in OoT on or off with L.

And if anyone here is thinking I'm just hating on Ubi, I've played every single AC game to completion and some to 100% barring Valhalla, which I haven't gotten around to in my backlog. This is why I comment on the design choices, because I'm intimately familiar with them.

SpokkX

Uhhh… Elden could learn from… Ubi soft??

Well.. i guess technical performance is better in ubi open worlds

Thats it really

Vaelka

knowing that when you open a chest you will find something useful instead of junk.

You sure about that, lol?
Tbh I feel like in Elden Ring I opened a lot of chests and went through a lot of shit to reach corpses to loot that gave me pretty useless stuff and consumables.
A pretty common complaint I've seen is that gear was too hard to come by and I'd agree with that.

People are straight up lyin if they didnt google how to complete some npc sidequest. So yeah, a journal with hints is something from could learn from ubi.

I didn't, I played it on day 1 there probably wasn't much to google really.
Altho I had to go back and check again what the name and direction was for where to go which was annoying.
Especially when someone tells me to go to a place I've never been before and then go east or something.

Last edited:

Flabagast

Yeah design wise ER is really not that good, and most notably is not too far off from an Ubi game if we are being honest - markers are removed sure but otherwise it's the same philosophy with simple gameplay loop, copy paste content (bosses, dungeons, etc..) and general overall bloat -, people are a little blind on this one imho.

Aion002

Nothing.

Elden Ring only needs some performance upgrades.

And Ubi needs to look back on how great they used to be and how different they're now... But they won't, because all that matters for them is money so.... Same can be said to Konami.

From Software games are unique and I hope that they don't change them to be more like other games.

Last edited:

I do appreciate your attempt at balance, but oh boy let’s hope From doesn’t move away from awe inspiring fantastically imagined worlds to…the deserts of Egypt.

Everything does have to and even should be the same.

If every game copies from the latest most popular game you will only ever have a homogenized mess of copycat games that all feel samey and ultimately dull.

Variety is the spice of life. I prefer that Ubisoft's games are different to everyone else's. Let ER be ER and let AC be AC. If you don't like one, don't buy it.

Top Bottom