• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"This child, we don’t want to teach our religion to" says lawyer for Catholic school

Status
Not open for further replies.

WedgeX

Banned
Courtesy the Detroit News.

Detroit News said:
But the parents of Winkler sued Notre Dame and the Marist Fathers of Detroit Inc., alleging that she was denied admission to the private school because of a learning disability and arguing this runs afoul of anti-discrimination laws. She was a student at a middle school also run by the Marist Fathers.

James Walsh, a lawyer representing the Marist Fathers of Detroit Inc., said the student was not rejected for admission on religious grounds when asked by a justice.

“You don’t have to give religious justification to fire your ministerial employee. A religious school has an absolute right under the First Amendment to decide who to admit or not admit,” Walsh said during oral arguments.

“This child, we don’t want to teach our religion to,” he said, emphatically, after a later question.

A summary of what the Michigan Supreme Court will consider:

(1) whether the doctrine of ecclesiastical abstention involves a question of a court’s subject matter jurisdiction over a claim; (2) whether the Court of Appeals correctly concluded that consideration of Winkler’s challenge to the defendant’s admission decision would have impermissibly entangled the trial court “in questions of religious doctrine or ecclesiastical polity;” and (3) whether the Court should overrule Dlaikan v Roodbeen.

I went to a competing Catholic high school in metro Detroit. This is all kinds of fucked up. And inexcusable.

In reading through the briefs, she was the only middleschooler denied admission to Notre Dame Prep from its associated middle school.

weekev

Banned
Is this to do with the fact the kid had learning disabilities so they knew she would lower their GPA by default?

Rocketz

When it comes time to for my kids to go I can just mark Prep off the list.

Granted they were never going to there in the first place since my fiancee and her family went to Marian/Brother Rice but the point still stands.

eizarus

Banned
Wow.... I honestly don't know what to say to this. Let me take a guess and say that this school (and their lawyer) would also support eugenics programs like those in the early 20th century.

My Catholic high school had a whole system called "Peer Buddies", where students would volunteer and help our disadvantaged students. We even had a pipeline that would work toward getting them a job and/or into a college program for them. We had 5 or 6 downs-syndrome students, and a couple other of various illnesses.

This lawyer and this particular school are bullshit.

Juice

I assume there is existing regulation that would threaten whatever tax funding or exemption they do have if they came out and said "we don't want to pay to accommodate a special needs student", which is why they're trying to muddy the waters by making this about teaching religion?

drspeedy

Trucker.jpg

First post nailed it. They'd lack the prestige they need to advertise if their GPA was brought down. And that means everything to these schools. $$$. This will backfire because of the negative press though.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
some good friends of ours send their kids to a private religious school, they were saying that all these schools wanted to do interviews. I said "interviews?" and they say yea with the kid themselves.

It dawned on me after that conversation that these schools were "interviewing" the children to possibly weed out minorities or children with learning disabilities.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
”This child, we don't want to teach our religion to,"

"I want this child to go to hell and burn for all eternity. Literally. That is our goal."

Say what you mean, asshats.

Aylinato

Courtesy the Detroit News.

A summary of what the Michigan Supreme Court will consider:

I went to a competing Catholic high school in metro Detroit. This is all kinds of fucked up. And inexcusable.

In reading through the briefs, she was the only middleschooler denied admission to Notre Dame Prep from its associated middle school.

Don't you remember, brother, that they had me stop taking IEPs to get into our high school. it doesn't surprise me.

Irnbru

My Catholic high school had a whole system called "Peer Buddies", where students would volunteer and help our disadvantaged students. We even had a pipeline that would work toward getting them a job and/or into a college program for them. We had 5 or 6 downs-syndrome students, and a couple other of various illnesses.

This lawyer and this particular school are bullshit.

Same at my high school, they even paid me 5 bucks an hour lol

Go fuck yourself, you should. Bible clutching prick and hypocrite, you are. Fuck this guy, im already fucking angry
Today and this made it 20 times worse. I had an iep in all of my schooling and hearing this fucking douchebag brings my learning disabled blood to a boil.

jstripes

Banned
They're being picky about who they teach their religion to? Joke's on them. My daughter went to Catholic school, and all of her friends there were agnostic or atheist.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
some good friends of ours send their kids to a private religious school, they were saying that all these schools wanted to do interviews. I said "interviews?" and they say yea with the kid themselves.

It dawned on me after that conversation that these schools were "interviewing" the children to possibly weed out minorities or children with learning disabilities.

I had one of these as an 8-year old transferring to a private Christian school. Awful place to grow up, but a good place to have a much-needed epiphany. The line between a respected religion and a cult has been blurred ever since. Glad my mom realized she couldn't afford that shit. Sad it took her a year to do so.

Guevara

Those times when you saw only one set of footprints in the sand, my child, it was then that I left your ass behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom