• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This *cuss word* got PROBATION?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I will NEVER understand how anyone can say the justice system is equal and fair when all you have to be is pretty or handsome and you can get away with attempted murder!! I hope she gets charged with something else and spends the rest of her life in prison! I hope her victim SUES her for EVERYTHING and they trade places! FUCK this pretentious, entitled, self-involved little WITCH!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The law is never fair.

There's no point even having law books if judges do their own thing where one judge in a given situation might give probation or 1 year prison, while another judge gives someone 8 years for the same issue.

It's no different than getting ticketed for a car violation. Get a $100 ticket. Show up to court to fight it. One judge takes it easy on you and reduces it to $10. Another would reduce it to $50. Another judge would say FU and pay the full amount.

It's like rolling the dice what you get. Makes zero sense. But I guess that's what it means to be a judge. Just make a judgement on the penalty based on what you feel like that day.

chromhound

Confused Politician GIF by Chicken Licken SA

Moneal

She got a good lawyer and got the charges reduced to a misdemeanor. Looks more like the DA is at fault here. The most she could have gotten at trial was 11months 29 days in county jail. Also why did this take 5 years to get this decided.

Cyberpunkd

There's no point even having law books if judges do their own thing where one judge in a given situation might give probation or 1 year prison, while another judge gives someone 8 years for the same issue.
As someone from Europe - the judge system is ok, each case is different and the judge also looks at what does the letter of law say.

It’s the jury system of the US that is a mockery of law.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Probably pleaded mentally ill, that’s often used as a get out of jail card. They’re a victim!

That's exactly how she made herself out to be!

She said she has been ridiculed and punished via the criticism she received after her mugshot surfaced and spread online. She testified that she was once spat on and has received death threats, the outlet reports.

"Millions of people were making fun of me online," she said, per The Tennessean. "I was convicted by the community before trial.

"For five years, I've been having to live with this ... social punishment. Even after all of this is over, Google is always going to be there. This will follow me for the rest of my life."

The mother of four added, according to the publication, that she hoped to avoid jail time so she would not be separated from her young children.

'I'm Not a Bad Person'
Speaking on how the incident has changed her, she said she atoned for her past actions and hopes to become a lawyer one day.

"This has inspired me to do better," she told the judge, The Tennessean reported. "It inspired me to help people who have been in my shoes."

Last edited:
On a side note, I think it's fair to take the social punishmet you received into account when passing a sentence. Your life can be ruined without a trial altogether if youre face is out there. Society should be looking to provide good societal outcomes overall and being as tough on crime as possible seems to not really be conducive to that?

Last edited:

Ionian

On a side note, I think it's fair to take the social punishmet you received into account when passing a sentence. Your life can be ruined without a trial altogether if youre face is out there. Society should be looking to provide good societal outcomes overall and being as tough on crime as possible seems to not really be conducive to that?
Nah fuck her, the self-entitled bitch should reap what she sowed. She got off lightly for attempted
Murder. The court of public opinion might be an inconvenience but that's tough shit when you act like a self-entitled murderous cunt.

Last edited:

Winter John

Gold Member
"I will NEVER understand how anyone can say the justice system is equal and fair when all you have to be is pretty or handsome"

iu

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I will NEVER understand how anyone can say the justice system is equal and fair when all you have to be is pretty or handsome and you can get away with attempted murder!! I hope she gets charged with something else and spends the rest of her life in prison! I hope her victim SUES her for EVERYTHING and they trade places! FUCK this pretentious, entitled, self-involved little WITCH!

Have you been following this case or something? Not sure why you're so angry and seem to have more detail on how things went down and who she is as a person than I'm getting from the article you linked

Mistake

Quackenbush. A cross-eyed mother of four, aspiring to be a singer.

Sounds like someone is trying to make a sequel to bum fights

trikster40

Thread title got me confused. Maybe it’s just too early. I thought she got probation because she said a cuss word. I now realize the OP was referring to the Quacko.

Razvedka

Banned

Want to have fun? Look up the official stats on sentencing disparity between women and men, and also conviction disparity between women and men.

For identical crimes.

There's alot I could say about all this, but I'm not stupid enough to do so. Draw your own conclusions.

Last edited:

StormCell

Mmmm. It's awesome when no one bothers to follow the details of a trial and just arrives at snap judgments about the justice system failing. It's so awesome that people want to throw the jury system out the window on a whim, too.

Next time, try reading all points of view on a news story before deciding what went down.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
The law is never fair.

It's no different than getting ticketed for a car violation. Get a $100 ticket. Show up to court to fight it. One judge takes it easy on you and reduces it to $10. Another would reduce it to $50. Another judge would say FU and pay the full amount.

It's like rolling the dice what you get. Makes zero sense. But I guess that's what it means to be a judge. Just make a judgement on the penalty based on what you feel like that day.

You're right and it scares the living daylights of out of me

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Mmmm. It's awesome when no one bothers to follow the details of a trial and just arrives at snap judgments about the justice system failing. It's so awesome that people want to throw the jury system out the window on a whim, too.

Next time, try reading all points of view on a news story before deciding what went down.

I'm glad I looked into the case before passing judgement. I don't agree with the OP that she should spend the rest of life behind bars (is redemption not a thing anymore?), however I do believe she got off lightly.

Although they had an argument, I can't see any justification for her shooting the guy.

StormCell

I'm glad I looked into the case before passing judgement. I don't agree with the OP that she should spend the rest of life behind bars (is redemption not a thing anymore?), however I do believe she got off lightly.

Although they had an argument, I can't see any justification for her shooting the guy.
It depends on what is meant by "argument." A verbal altercation was taking place when they arrived, and then they got into a verbal altercation with this guy over exhaust and music coming from their car. A perfectly reasonable thing.

I agree with you that life behind bars is a f'ing ridiculous expectation. I think a mistake was made by her, but that's only because it's claimed that she fired a warning shot that actually struck him (was it a ricochet?) and then shot him on purpose (self-defense claimed here). Haven't read what led up to this except that a heated argument was occurring which can appear plenty threatening depending on proximity, yelling, and possibly threats. Whatever the court heard must justify the ruling is my takeaway from this.

Depending on who the aggressor is and who the target of aggression is, I don't feel the threshold for pulling a firearm or even the use of it requires someone to wait until they've been physically assaulted. Some people may expect that even a mother of four must confirm the aggressor has a deadly weapon or something along those lines, but it's not reasonable depending on the context of the situation. A full grown male can strike a woman to death or overpower her and strangle her. It's not efficient for her to wait until she's lost physical autonomy in the situation, nor can she expect her female friend to be able to save her life in this situation.

But I do agree that something went wrong in that the warning shot apparently struck the guy. She's getting almost a year of probation. She has four young kids. The court has shown her some compassion. She didn't kill the dude, and that's why she isn't looking at a multiple year sentence, since apparently the fact is lost on some.

Last edited:

IDKFA

It depends on what is meant by "argument." A verbal altercation was taking place when they arrived, and then they got into a verbal altercation with this guy over exhaust and music coming from their car.

I agree with you that life behind bars is a f'ing ridiculous expectation. I think a mistake was made by her, but that's only because it's claimed that she fired a warning shot that actually struck him (was it a ricochet?) and then shot him on purpose (self-defense claimed here). Haven't read what led up to this except that a heated argument was occurring which can appear plenty threatening depending on proximity, yelling, and possibly threats.

Who knows. I doubt it was filmed, so it's her word against his in regards what went down. Either way, the people who were there and worked the case know more than us.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
“Katie Quackenbush, an aspiring singer who goes by the name Katie Layne…”

Lol yeah I bet she does
She should come on stage with a duck up her skirt and flash the audience. She'd gain more traction that way.

She tried to murder someone for asking her to move her car. She should be in prison for a long time.

Last edited:

IDKFA

She should come on stage with a duck up her skirt and flash the audience. She'd gain more traction that way.

She tried to murder someone for asking her to move her car. She should be in prison for a long time.

I agreed that she got off lightly.

dr_octagon

Banned
There was a woman who stabbed her boyfriend with a breadknife. Judge went easy with the sentence because she was blonde, pretty and didn't want to affect her future career as aspiring surgeon.

StormCell

Yeah, for "asking her to move her car." Yeah, that's all he did... makes perfect sense that she and her friend felt threatened. Did they interview the women he was arguing with before they arrived??

Any expectation of life being any reflection of justice is simply setting yourself up for a life of misery. Make peace with things or gnash your teeth until the end of time.

StormCell

Strianse says Melton's behavior toward his client warranted her firing shots.

"She felt threatened," Strianse said.

Quackenbush's father, Texas-based attorney Jesse Quackenbush, said his daughter and her friend were being accosted by Melton, who he said approached the Porsche as the women sat inside, threatening to kill them and making explicit and sexist remarks to Quackenbush.

Melton has not denied making the remarks.

“She didn’t try and kill this guy,” Jesse Quackenbush told the Tennessean after his daughter was arrested. “She had no intention of killing him. She didn’t know that she hit him.”

He said his daughter told him there was no indication the man was injured.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Lemme see here... The argument is done and then he goes to lay back down, making him a non-threat, and she goes into her car to get her loaded gun to fire off ... A warning shot?! And then fires again striking him and flees...

Yeah, she should totally get the Nobel Peace Prize.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom