• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This generation of consoles are JOKE, I'm sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
60 FPS in some games (mostly cross gen): Omgz something PC exceeded and been capable of doing for decades. 60 FPS is not some new phenomenon for consoles either, plenty of games were 60 FPS on prior consoles gens.

Graphics:
Small advancement visually, and in general over the prior gen, I'm not posting an example of this PS4/PS5 leap we already know it's small.

5th gen

Conkers_Bad_Fur_Day_N64_Ingame.jpg

6th gen

Conker-Live-Reloaded-2.jpg

When the jump is beyond comparing a strand of hair or a piece of grass in the background, that nobody would ever notice lmk!

SSDs:
Oh wow, PC has had these since the early 2010's and while games do load faster with them they haven't fundamentally changed the way games are made. Keep falling for the marketing hype. It was confirmed that Rachet and Clank: Rift's portal dynamic was achievable on a PS4, due to the nature of how its algorithm worked.

Games: This generation
has had the most overlap of any prior (inb4 CoViD) and has barely any exclusives to talk about 3 years in.

Here is PS2's line up in year 1...

8h58i0acc6011.jpg

All exclusives, and all pushed game design forward (the whole generation was banger after banger, with no crossgen).

OMG, Gamepass! I can play a bunch of games that I would never spend a penny on for free!

Today you have games that might look realistic,
but everything is as static and basic as they were on much lesser hardware (inb4 exceptions of the rule like Naughty Dog).

There used to be a time when a new generation of consoles felt like whole new of things were possible, that anything could happen, and unfortunately this has ended.

Where the fuck are the games, the advancement, the boundary pushing?

You know the things that makes a console generation worth remembering, and not a joke?

This generation of consoles are a joke.

PLeASe Be PaTiEnT, says the Sony/MS businessmen...

1395mp.jpg

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Last edited:

nkarafo

I mean, the jump from PS3 to PS4 wasn't that great either.

Generation gaps seem smaller and smaller. Diminishing returns and stuff.

Everything will pick up starting in 2023.
Just wait.
And if you can't do that, wait a little bit longer.
Phil? Is that you?

If not, "wait until next year" and all variants are trademarks of Xbox a subsidiary of the Microsoft corporation, be prepared to pay loyalties for using it without express written consent.

60 FPS in some games (mostly cross gen): Omgz something PC exceeded and been capable of doing for decades.
60 FPS is not some new phenomenon for consoles either, plenty of games were 60 FPS on prior consoles gens.

Graphics:
Small advancement visually, and in general over the prior gen, I'm not posting an example of this PS4/PS5 leap we already know it's small.

5th gen

Conkers_Bad_Fur_Day_N64_Ingame.jpg

6th gen

Conker-Live-Reloaded-2.jpg

When the jump is beyond comparing a strand of hair or a piece of grass in the background, that nobody would ever notice lmk!

SSDs:
Oh wow, PC has had these since the early 2010's and while games do load faster with them they haven't fundamentally changed the way games are made. Keep falling for the marketing hype. It was confirmed that Rachet and Clank: Rift's portal dynamic was achievable on a PS4, due to the nature of how its algorithm worked.

Games: This generation
has had the most overlap of any prior (inb4 CoViD) and has barely any exclusives to talk about 3 years in.

Here is PS2's line up in year 1...

8h58i0acc6011.jpg

All exclusives, and all pushed game design forward (the whole generation was banger after banger, with no crossgen).

OMG, Gamepass! I can play a bunch of games that I would never spend a penny on for free!

Today you have games that might look realistic,
but everything is as static and basic as they were on much lesser hardware (inb4 exceptions of the rule like Naughty Dog).

There used to be a time when a new generation of consoles felt like whole new of things were possible, that anything could happen, and unfortunately this has ended.

Where the fuck are the games, the advancement, the boundary pushing?

You know the things that makes a console generation worth remembering, and not a joke?

This generation of consoles are a joke.

PLeASe Be PaTiEnT, says the Sony/MS businessmen...

1395mp.jpg

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
So... Games should innovate.
or Consoles should innovate.
Which one? Or both?

Last edited:
Meanwhile.... current gen selling faster than any generation that came before it.

Super League Money GIF by Anderson .Paak

Probably because gaming is more mainstream/acceptable to the masses, more than ever before.

Look how many people buy a new iPhone for $1000's, that exactly like the one they already have.

Consumers are idiots, and don't know any better.

Threads like these wouldn't be created if there was a good flow of new titles to play. You would be playing rather than posting otherwise

The reality is that game development cycles are too long and there is no reliable way to make it shorter. This gen just feels sluggish because game releases are not like the old days.

It’s still too early in the gen to gauge how big of a leap these consoles are compared to the previous gen.

Also not everyone is into PC gaming, while a lot of these features have been available on PC they are still new to the console audience who doesn’t game on PC. How can you expect $499 consoles to rival the performance of high end PCs?

PillsOff

Banned
We have a bunch of corporations caring more bout diversity of their stuff over competence n literally ZERO games that have any of the most important RDNA(Direct Storage, SFS, Mesh Shaders ext.) features implemented

So what the fuck are you expecting?

They got so fucking incompetent it takes 500 people studio 7 month to produce 1 multiplayer map outsourcing most of the work and here you want games to jump forward like they did in the golden days

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Probably because gaming is more mainstream/acceptable to the masses, more than ever before.

Look how many people buy a new iPhone for $1000's, that exactly like the one they already have.

While the statement that consumers are idiots is certainly true in a lot of cases, I don't think it applies here. Consoles can only sell for so much and that limits the tech that can go in there, I think the new systems are doing ok at the price points they are at.

Every tech upgrade typically comes with a bit more work and expense for developers, and this can lead to some questionable choices at the start of generations. Every-gen we get some new-gen content that seems to squander every upgrade, things will improve as time goes on.

Last edited:

Miles708

The solution is to buy the consoles after the games are available.

But y'all not ready for this discussion.

intbal

Seems like having performance (60fps) and quality (30fps) modes would solve everyone's problems.
Except for the companies funding the game development, of course. They are never going to spend a dime more than they think they have to.

Yoboman

How much more room do we have to grow on this?
HJdowe8.jpg
Diminishing returns are a reality. Generational leaps will look smaller and smaller

Unpopular opinion but I like this gen so far. 60fps on everything which i'll gladly take over better graphics, Haptic Feedback, very fast load times, etc. Also there's less soulless AAA games made by gaming conglomerates like ubisoft these days and more fun indie/niche games like Hades, Ghostrunner, Deathloop, Sifu, etc.

Meicyn

Gold Member

getting some serious virgin energy from this one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom