• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This is pretty frustrating, but why don't car games have a way to view your cars in a garage?

Bragr

Banned
You usually have a mode where you can walk around or look at one car, like Forzavista, but why isn't this expanded and improved at this point.

We need some sort of parking space or a parking showcase building or something that shows every car you have, lined up and presented so you can see your collection. Some way to witness everything you gathered, so you can walk among them, placing your favorites at the coolest spots, having individual rooms for each manufacturer. Stuff like that.

Instead, every car game's garage is a fucking list. Devs should easily be able to make some less resource-heavy car models when viewed from a medium distance so that every car can be placed in one area.

IMG_7817.jpg

Elite-Showcase-2019.jpg

I just want them to allow me to shoot the tires of other cars, seems like a very basic feature to implement.

Last edited:
I have another bone to pick; I hate games where I cant use my thumbstick during a race to move the camera around the car, if anything, just to check out the visuals on the move. For example GT7 is a looker but you only have front view or rear view. Why dont they ever include full camera rotation like NFS games.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It's bad when GTA of all games has this. And I agree, such an overlooked feature.

I have another bone to pick; I hate games where I cant use my thumbstick during a race to move the camera around the car, if anything, just to check out the visuals on the move. For example GT7 is a looker but you only have front view or rear view. Why dont they ever include full camera rotation like NFS games.
You can look to the left and right in GT7. Slightly up and slightly down before it goes to rear view.

I suppose PSVR2 will have it when there is full head tracking.

Last edited:

intbal

PGR2 had this.
It wasn't customizable, but it was there.

Here's a terrible screencam video of some kid showing off the feature:

The racing genre doesn't get the love it deserves, and it's a damn shame. All the attention to detail GT7 puts into the cars, you'd think they'd have an extensive model viewer and garage.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Because, while cool, it's also a gimmick. No sizeable amount of people will avoid or dislik a racing game because of not having that.

oldergamer

You usually have a mode where you can walk around or look at one car, like Forzavista, but why isn't this expanded and improved at this point.

We need some sort of parking space or a parking showcase building or something that shows every car you have, lined up and presented so you can see your collection. Some way to witness everything you gathered, so you can walk among them, placing your favorites at the coolest spots, having individual rooms for each manufacturer. Stuff like that.

Instead, every car game's garage is a fucking list. Devs should easily be able to make some less resource-heavy car models when viewed from a medium distance so that every car can be placed in one area.

IMG_7817.jpg

Elite-Showcase-2019.jpg
Ummm you mean view all the cars at once? Answer: "memory". When loading a really detailed model, they have less space for similar detailed models

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I assume it's that they're trying to make the cars look as good as possible and would have to share the processing power across multiple models at once and the fidelity would have to take a hit in some way.

Skifi28

I honestly don't see much difference between having a garage or not, there are already multiple ways to view your car collection. With games like GT or Forza, having a garage with your 300-400 cars would just not be feasible.

It's bad when GTA of all games has this. And I agree, such an overlooked feature.

You can look to the left and right in GT7. Slightly up and slightly down before it goes to rear view.

I suppose PSVR2 will have it when there is full head tracking.
I mean 3rd person view. In 3rd person you cant even see the side of the car in GT7. GT games never did that, actually a lot of racing games wouldn't allow you to roam the camera around the care during gameplay but NFS always did.

Last edited:
For a car collecting game it's disappointing Forza didn't have a useable garage.

The worst part is they always have garages, massive ones at that starting back in Forza 4, but you can only have one car in it at a time.

Forza 7's garage design was awesome, it has parts storage areas, offices, a lunch room, meeting areas, etc. it could have had dozens of cars in it on lifts and stashed around but instead it was just a massive empty warehouse with no people, no lifts (in a garage like this that is nonsense). Such a wasted opportunity.

Y6ufh56.jpg

u81JCp9.jpg

ItsGreat

I suppose we've got to wait for the PS4 and Xbox One cross compatibility to drop away. Once games have unfettered access to massive gushes of hard drive data between the disc and RAM things will change.

A more annoying thing is liveries being pushed so hard in Forza - and then only being able to see your own car as the game loads.

I'd rather admire an opponent's car - maybe even drool or be inspired by their set up.

Instead I just get to see them for a split second as I race.

I think there was a rumor that forza motorsport will have a garage feature similar to PGR4.

It's pretty clear they've wanted to do so given the time and detail they poured into the garage spaces in previous games. Forza 5's rich dude garage was a really nice place to showcase the new engine and shaders, it just fell short in that you only see a single car in there. Forza 6 has a couple home spaces, one on on the mountain in Rio and the other your crew area at a race track.

I think the two-year schedule had a lot to do with things like the garages being only sort of completed. As much as I love the series and still play Forza 7, there are clear signs all over that they had to just hit the send button. Missing building shadows, missing textures on trackside items that had textures in previous installments, buildings on the Nurburgring in the wrong places that used to be in the right places, etc. Nothing too damning but over time it all adds up.

My hope is with five years of dev time they have all the stuff done more ironed out this time. I'd love to have a garage with a collection of my favorite cars all out in the open.

Last edited:
Top Bottom