• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This limited-edition Super Mario TAG Heuer smartwatch will run you $2,150

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Screen-Shot-2021-07-13-at-1.37.22-PM.jpg

Today, it takes the wraps off of one of the more surprising brand partnerships in recent memory, in a deal with Swiss watch company TAG Heuer, which makes very nice — and extremely expensive — timepieces. The “long-term collaboration” is kicking off with a limited-edition (2,000 units) Mario smartwatch that will set you back $2,150.

Clearly there’s a bit of a disconnect between the pricing on the TAG Heuer Connected and the sort of accessibility the company offers with hardware like the Switch. In fact, you can buy six of the high-end new OLED Switches for the price of a single Mario-branded smartwatch — or, for that matter, five Apple Watch Series 6s.

I will give it this — it’s a pretty sweet-looking watch. And, given the barrier of entry, there’s a pretty good chance you’ll be the only person you know who owns one (forget for a moment that, unlike expensive analog watches, smartwatches aren’t designed to last forever). The hook here are little Mario animations that pop up throughout the day as you hit your step count and meet other goals. It’s fun and something that would play really well on a fitness watch for kids (for, one imagines, a fraction of the price).

The watch is, effectively, a redesigned version of the TAG Heuer Connected, a $2,000 Wear OS device that launched last April. The timepiece got high marks for design quality — as one would expect from the company. This version adds touches like a Mario “M” on the dial, red accents throughout and a matching red rubber strap (along with a black leather version).

The case measures 45mm in diameter and the watch sports a 430 mAh battery the company says should get you between six and 20 hours of life, depending on usage. That’s due in part to the inclusion of GPS and a heart rate monitor.

It’s available starting July 15.

SkylineRKR

I don't think this is a bad deal. This thing is limited right? And it will ofcourse be valuable to nintendo fans. So I wonder how much its worth in a few years of time. But yeah being a smartwatch is offputting to me actually. Not that I buy watches in this price range anyway.

Last edited:

20cent

Banned
$2000 for a Tag is actually a pretty good deal. Although I would rather save and come up with three more grand to get a Monaco Calibre with the blue alligator band. I have had one on my wrist twice. Maybe some day. 🥺
For a (mechanical) Tag, maybe.
For a digital 'smart' watch that will be obsolete, with discontinued parts and unusable with smartphones or whatever else will be available in 10 years, no.

Soodanim

Gold Member
It’s going to run someone else $2150 because fuck that, limited edition or not I will never be interested.

catvonpee

You guys act like this isn't going to sell out instantaneously. You know it will. This is definitely a status symbol item. I think the red leather is garish. I wouldn't ever wear it.

This watch will last you 3 years tops before it starts performing like shit. Don't spend more than $100 for a smartwatch (or more for an Apple Watch they tend to last longer).

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Imagine how stupid you'll look as an adult paying that massive price for a watch that fits kindergarten kids. Even if gifted for free won't ever wear that shit.

Bryank75

Banned
I'd have paid for a mechanical one...

Would love a tastefully done PlayStation watch with the PS logo.... by Tag or Patek or Longines whoever they could get to partner with.

Blond

Banned
I get analog watches being expensive and they do last forever, I have a Rolex that was passed down to me from, well I guess 70 years ago or so I think, but a Smart watch? Theres no guarantee this will work in 10 years time and even if it did, would it even be compatible with a phone at that point?
Apple watches, the most supported watch on the market and most expensive, still has a death date on their devices. This at best will be a collectors item, and I’m sure that’s why people will buy it.

SirTerry-T

I'd sooner have either of these two...
Fucking smart watches....nothing beats the engineering and work that goes into a proper automatic watch. Even a cheapish Seiko 5 should last you a lifetime.
nPMWEj6.jpg
tWJpHyS.jpg

usctrojan

too much for a disposable watch. battery will lose charge, tech will slow down etc... wish they just made a mario themed aquaracer or even monaco.

Top Bottom