• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thoughts on Horizon Forbidden West from a big fan of the original

Humdinger

The original Horizon was my favorite game of last gen. I loved the combat, the environments, and the story. I enjoyed it so much that I replayed it twice.

I recently got a PS5, bundled with Horizon Forbidden West. HFW was one of my main reasons for picking up a PS5. Here are my thoughts.

Good Things
1. More involved side quests than in the first game.

2. Visually, the game looks better than the first. The first game was already a looker, so that's no mean feat. Environments, textures on clothing, effects, everything looks better.

3. Lip synch and facial animations are improved.

4. They added the ability to tag specific machine parts. That was helpful.

5. They added the ability to reset skill points. That was a nice option.

6. They added a lot of new weapons, armor, and mechanics. While I'm listing this as a plus, it's also a minus (see below). On the plus side, it provides more variety than the first game. And if you enjoy upgrading your gear, you'll have a lot to keep you busy here.

Not So Good Things

1. The game feels bloated -- overstuffed with content. More is less, folks. But no, this game, like a lot of modern games, is a victim of the "more is better" mindset. I mentioned above that there are plenty of new weapons and armors. Yes, but there are so many it is overwhelming, especially when each of them has a labor-intensive upgrade path. I don't have the time to experiment with, upgrade, and become skilled in using all these weapons, guys. That is just one example of the "more more more" overkill. I'll give you some more examples below.

2. The story goes on and on. It is half-decent, I guess, but it doesn't compare to the first game's story at all. This story felt very drawn out and not all that engaging. The "twists" seemed kind of lame. Plus, it's the usual Sony cinematic stuff -- 6 hours of cutscenes for the main story, plus hours more for the sidequests. I've grown increasingly tired of this movie-oriented approach to gaming.

3. There is a flood of things to do -- multitudes of quests, all sorts of new sub-quest types (most of which aren't interesting), new machines, new settlements, new weapons and mechanics, and icons littering the map. Again, folks: more is not necessarily better. I preferred the original's world. It didn't feel empty to me. It felt well-edited, like a good sentence is concise, not overstuffed with verbiage. This feels more like a bloated Ubisoft game. It makes me feel like I have an endless to-do checklist. It's not fun. At a certain point, it dawned on me that I felt more like I "should" play it, because I needed to get X or Y accomplished, rather than actually enjoying the gameplay.

4. They ruined some of the fun parts of HZD. For instance, they nerfed the Tripcaster and other weapons. They also turned Cauldrons into tedious platforming puzzles.

5. They tinkered with the combat, and in my opinion messed it up. In the original game, you could approach combat patiently and strategically. Not so here, because enemy aggressiveness has been turned way up, and enemies close the distance fast. Fights often devolve into close-quarters struggles, with little time to think, just react. It's more action-ey, to be sure, but it's less fun, at least for me. It's more twitch-based, less strategic. This is a shame, because combat in HZD was one of my favorite parts. I still had some fun with combat in Forbidden West, but it didn't come close to the first game.

6. They screwed up Aloy, too. For the first quarter of the game, they turn her into an unlikeable princess: "I don't need nobody. Nobody can save the world except me. Get out of my way boys!" How fucking tiresome. This is a complete change from Aloy's character in the first game, where she was an outcast happy to get help. She had even begun to develop a sense of humor in the Frozen Wilds. But no, in HFW, they turn her into a pain in the neck -- at least for the first quarter of the game. They do it to set up a dopey character arc, so she can realize (big revelation) that "we need friends" (daww). It's very artificial and off-putting. The voice actress also gives her a hard-edged, breathy voice in HFW that I don't like. Oh, and the way Avad, Erend, and Varl all simp for her in the beginning was very cringey. Reel it in, guys. Sheesh. Embarrassing.

7. You get a lot of political messaging here. For instance, you'll see a lot of spindly-armed women in charge of tribes of men. Yes, this was present to some degree in the original, but it was more understandable there; the Nora were a matriarchal society. But here you see it everywhere, in all of the societies -- little woman in charge of burly men. It's completely unrealistic, and it ruins immersion, because it causes me think about the writers' agenda and modern-day politics. I play games for fun and escape, not to get indoctrinated with this nonsense. Societies built on violence and combat would not have women in charge 50% of the time. Occasionally, sure, as an exception to the rule, but gimme a break with the "representation." I can only suspend disbelief so many times before it breaks down. I don't want to be thinking about the feminist agenda of the writers; I want to be immersed in the game world.

8. They screwed up the climbing mechanics, too, which admittedly were not a strength of the first game, but at least they were serviceable. Here, you have a choice between either spamming R3 all the time or else turning cliff markers to "always on," which paints all the mountains with yellow lines. I chose the latter, because constantly scanning for handholds is tedious.

9. There is waaay too much dialog. Man, these people just talk and talk. They will not shut up. I would often end up skipping through dialog sequences, because I was bored. I rarely do that in games. I'm not sure why they thought that putting so much dialog in the game was a good idea. It is not. It was boring. You don't need to endlessly yammer on and on, in order to create a character. You just need a brief portrait. Much of the talk felt like a waste of time. Way overdone.

Overall rating: 7/10.

Edit: I was more generous in the original post, but I have since revised this post to reflect my final thoughts on the game.

Last edited:

Stuart360

IMO HZD is the best of the Sony games released on PC so far by far. In fact i completed the game twice ina row almost.
I havent been impressed with the other games but HZD really got me. Maybe because it felt most like a Ubisoft game, and imo Ubisoft make the best open worlds (yeah bring on the smilies lol).

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Bad story. Really great premise but they fudge it with too much exposition
Overtalked to death by super annoying characters
Bad climbing. No idea where you can climb. Invisible walls
Too many fucking arrow types
Too many weaknesses. You scan every damn monster and then find you don't have XYZ arrows
Grind. You MUST do side missions in order to have a good level for main story
Leveling of everything. Gear, Armor... and it requires side missions gathering of crap to level too

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I platinumed Horizon 1, but Horizon 2 was a real headache for me. It's the first time ever I've just knocked a game of its kind down to the easiest difficult to charge through the story as fast as possible, and even that wasn't worth it.

I don't think it's entirely the game's fault. The things it's doing in terms of open world game design aren't new, and they're popular. I think I'm just finally officially done with that kind of game. It was quite funny having played BOTW before Horizon 1 and then Elden Ring before Horizon 2, it felt incredibly familiar to me. Games that challenged what you thought about open worlds and then games that used the formula to a tee, albeit very well.

It's a good game, but it felt closer to a Ubisoft game than any non-Ubisoft game I've played and it wore me down very quickly. Horizon 3 will be more of the exact same thing, and that's fine, but I think I'm out from here.

Humdinger

Overtalked to death by super annoying characters
Too many weaknesses. You scan every damn monster and then find you don't have XYZ arrows
Leveling of everything. Gear, Armor... and it requires side missions gathering of crap to level too

Right. It's that grindey feeling that is getting to me. Upgrading everything through multiple levels, then trading it in for a new weapon and starting the process over, and doing that with 7 or 8 different weapon types. The machine weaknesses, plus all the different weapon and ammo combinations also feel like too much. Not to mention all the different types of quests.

Re. "no idea where where you can climb," there is an option in the menu to turn those markers on permanently. That way you don't have to guess. You end up with mountains full of yellow lines, though.

wolywood

It's unrealistic because warrior tribes -- societies that are based on violence and fighting -- would not have women in charge 50% of the time. Occasionally, sure, but half the time? I can only suspend disbelief so many times. And it pulls me out of the game world because it makes me think about the writers and their desire to have equal gender representation in the game. I don't want to be thinking about the writers; I want to be immersed in the game world.
It's a videogame set in a world where metallic sentient AI dinosaurs are as common as squirrels. I will truly never understand this constant need to apply real world rules and norms to the gaming universe.

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Good Things

1. Lip synch and facial animations are much improved. This makes the emotions much easier to read. It helps interactions feel more real.

OP, tell me how, please, because FW is legit one of the worst lip sync works I've seen this generation in a AAA game.

I'm also currently playing the game, and it baffles me how such detailed characters and animation have such an horrid lip sync work behind them.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
It's a videogame set in a world where metallic sentient AI dinosaurs are as common as squirrels. I will truly never understand this constant need to apply real world rules and norms to the gaming universe.

The developers themselves do… think about it, from all we know the baby vaults were set with a diversity of races, as we can clearly see that the Nora, arguably the more reclusive of the races and one that settled next to the vault they came from, has ethnical diversity.

Thus it follows that due interrracional coupling over enough generations all of humankind in Horizons world should have melted down into a homogeneous mixed appearance without people looking caucasic, african, asian, etc.

But that’s not what we see in the game, right? They wanted a diverse cast in line with modern sensibilities. And hey listen to me: I am not criticizing the game for being diverse, that’s not what I am doing.

My point is the developers themselves are applying “real life rules and norms” as you say. So it follows that it’s not only a user desire, but also a developer desire. So the whole “it’s a game about killer cyber squirrels who cares about real world rules an norms” has an answer: developers and players do.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Loved the original!
The sequel is kinda stomping me though, I’m 20+ hours in and have big issues with the more frenetic combat and aggressive enemies. So far I like the first game more but it might change.

Woggleman

The only real issue I had was the weapon and armor upgrades. It was too damn grindy. The legendary weapons at least should have came fully upgraded.

I am in the minority but I actually like Aloy better in this game. At the start she pushed everyone away but by the end of the game she had shown some real growth.

Humdinger

I know. I used that same line with people who objected to the original, about the same issue. I said, "Hey, it's a game about robot dinosaurs. It's not meant to be realistic." But it is different this time. More overbearing and noticeable. To the point where it pulls me out of the game and, like I said, makes me think about the writers. Not good. If you're reading a novel, you want to be immersed in the story world, not thinking about what the writer is up to. Plus it's just too much. You can only keep suspending disbelief so many times, then you've reached your quota, lol.

Last edited:

Humdinger

OP, tell me how, please, because FW is legit one of the worst lip sync works I've seen this generation in a AAA game.

I'm also currently playing the game, and it baffles me how such detailed characters and animation have such an horrid lip sync work behind them.

Really? I'll have to take a second look. My impressions were that it was pretty good -- better than the original, in any event. But maybe I'm reacting more to the visuals and facial animations, rather than the lip synch itself.

Last edited:

reektann

I remember in HZD I would be laying down traps and all sorts then drawing the enemy in and feel all smart as they took loads of damage before I engaged. In Forbidden West I would lay my traps then the machines would jump over them and get right up in my face as I flailed about screaming firing arrows hammering heal. I still enjoyed it in the end though.

Last edited:

small_law

5. I am getting a little tired of seeing spindly-armed women in charge of tribes or troops. I understood it with the Nora; they are a matriarchal society. But here it's happening everywhere, in all the societies: little woman in charge of burly men. To be clear, I'm not objecting because it's "woke." I'm objecting because 1) it's unrealistic, and 2) it pulls me out of the game.

Totally agree. It isn't even so much about the characters being women. It's more like so many characters, a lot of whom happen to be women, don't look like they could survive a brisk ten-minute walk let alone fight a dozen prison-ripped 260 lbs. dudes with swords. No one is buying that a 5'2" 140 lbs. woman is the fiercest warrior in all the land. I won't name her, but one character in particular is so egregiously not Lara Croft that she pulled me out of the game every time she showed up and tried to do anything physical.

I played the hell out of Forbidden West. Leveled almost all the legendries, platinum trophy, 100 percent completion in game. But I'd be lying if I said that game didn't have significant narrative and gameplay issues, much more than you'd think.

Nankatsu

Really? I'll have to take a second look. My impressions were that it was pretty good -- better than the original, in any event. But maybe I'm reacting more to the visuals and facial animations, rather than the lip synch itself.

I'm not crazy, there's legit like 0.3s delay in the lip sync that complete throws it off for me.

In this sequence with Erend, it may seem sync at first but for me there's a very small delay there that completely makes it awkward to me.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Surprised to hear no complaints about the combat and especially the enemy AI. I liked the story, the graphics and even the main missions. I really disliked actually playing the game and this is coming from someone who platinumed the PS4 version last year then bought the PC version this year and played through it 3 times in 2 weeks. The combat simply sucks.

I also thought Aloy was just joyless this time around. She was more chirpy in the first game having just lost her dad than shes in this game. Its bizarre. Shes simply not a good lead and I say this as someone who defended her for the last five years. The protagonist has to be likeable, charismatic, not just an errand boy. She seems annoyed by EVERYONE in the entire game. Like bitch why are you even trying to save these people?

Still, not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. I liked the story and especially the storytelling. Its far better than any video game story ive seen in the last 2 years since GoT. It could be better but its the gameplay that was a disappointment for me.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The veggie lady and the "tech learning woke lady" are the worst.
The veggie starts fine but then se never shuts up and she still believe in land gods crap even after she learn about machines and everything. She is an idiot that never stops talking.
And the Alva is just tragicly annoying. always.

Humdinger

I'm not crazy, there's legit like 0.3s delay in the lip sync that complete throws it off for me.

In this sequence with Erend, it may seem sync at first but for me there's a very small delay there that completely makes it awkward to me.

I see what you mean, in Varl's lip synch. Yeah, that's off a bit.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Maybe because it felt most like a Ubisoft game, and imo Ubisoft make the best open worlds (yeah bring on the smilies lol).
Sandwich Gordon GIF

What a terrible opinion.

Humdinger

Surprised to hear no complaints about the combat and especially the enemy AI. I liked the story, the graphics and even the main missions. I really disliked actually playing the game and this is coming from someone who platinumed the PS4 version last year then bought the PC version this year and played through it 3 times in 2 weeks. The combat simply sucks.

I also thought Aloy was just joyless this time around. She was more chirpy in the first game having just lost her dad than shes in this game. Its bizarre. Shes simply not a good lead and I say this as someone who defended her for the last five years. The protagonist has to be likeable, charismatic, not just an errand boy. She seems annoyed by EVERYONE in the entire game. Like bitch why are you even trying to save these people?

Still, not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. I liked the story and especially the storytelling. Its far better than any video game story ive seen in the last 2 years since GoT. It could be better but its the gameplay that was a disappointment for me.

I'm enjoying the combat. I haven't seen any big differences between HZD and HFW in that regard (apart from the new mechanics, weapons, and machine types). What is it that you didn't like about the combat in HFW? Enemy AI?

Joyless is a good adjective to describe her. She's dead serious. What happened to the sense of humor she was sprouting in Frozen Wilds? More importantly, am I going to have to change my avatar?

I'm glad to hear you liked the story. Others don't seem so impressed. I'm only halfway through, so I don't have a good sense of it yet. That was one of the things I liked the most about the first game.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I'm enjoying the combat. I haven't seen any big differences between HZD and HFW in that regard (apart from the new mechanics, weapons, and machine types). What is it that you didn't like about the combat in HFW? Enemy AI?

Joyless is a good adjective to describe her. She's dead serious. What happened to the sense of humor she was sprouting in Frozen Wilds? More importantly, am I going to have to change my avatar?

I'm glad to hear you liked the story. Others don't seem so impressed. I'm only halfway through, so I don't have a good sense of it yet. That was one of the things I liked the most about the first game.
They have fixed some things since launch so maybe thats why you are having a better time. Enemies were way too aggressive. They constantly put you down and it took Aloy what felt like hours to get back up which would allow the rest of the enemies to jump on you killing you in one hit.

Arrows do one damage if you end up hitting armor. Enemies previously weak to Freeze arrows now need to be melted by acid first. Handling stats are gone so your bows feel far less responsive. They removed the long dodge roll too.

I uploaded a video just to show my friends why i hated the combat. I only get 1-2 views from my friends. For whatever reason, that clip is still getting views and everyone takes time to comment on exactly why they hate it. Check out the comments if you are interested.

Telasoo

Neo Member
My big issue is story related, near end of game main story quest that was so fucking random....

My biggest issue was Ted Faro is fucking alive?? And then hes gone and everyone just glances over it????

Humdinger

They have fixed some things since launch so maybe thats why you are having a better time. Enemies were way too aggressive. They constantly put you down and it took Aloy what felt like hours to get back up which would allow the rest of the enemies to jump on you killing you in one hit.

Arrows do one damage if you end up hitting armor. Enemies previously weak to Freeze arrows now need to be melted by acid first. Handling stats are gone so your bows feel far less responsive. They removed the long dodge roll too.

I uploaded a video just to show my friends why i hated the combat. I only get 1-2 views from my friends. For whatever reason, that clip is still getting views and everyone takes time to comment on exactly why they hate it. Check out the comments if you are interested.

I'll check it out, thanks. I have noticed that the machines feel more aggressive this time around, and that they are more difficult to take down. And I do get annoyed at how often I hit armor plating. The machines seem more heavily armored than before, and like you said, you don't get much damage from hitting an armor plate.

p.s. Wow, lot of criticisms there. I didn't think it was that bad. Maybe, like you said, they've fixed some of these issues since launch. But still, I'm surprised to see so much criticism. I've generally enjoyed the combat, although it is tougher than the first game. I've had my moments of frustration, though, for sure.

Last edited:
They are absolutely wizards at tech and the gameplay was fun for me, but the story & writing was terrible to me. I've beaten every game they've released and am always in awe in their ability to tap into the machines they're working on...but hire some better writers going forward please.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
This feels more like a Ubisoft game, with a crowded map full of icons and tasks. It makes me feel like I have an endless to-do list.

This is false. The second does not have more bloat than the second. You prolly forgot all the icons from the first game? Let me give you a reminder.

1*6h-AQD_Wnw4onLwRWmWhfg.jpeg

maxresdefault.jpg

Second of all, just because it has maybe more icons/activities, why the fuck would that be a bad thing if the activities are good? Did we fucking play the same game because the activities in FW are net superior in variety/difficulty than ZD, especially the puzzle locations.

2. At a certain point, it dawned on me that I wasn't enjoying the game so much as checking off boxes.

Thats a you thing. Checking off boxes is the staple for all open-world games. None is different.
3. Aloy is less pleasant to be around this time. She's not unpleasant, but she's less likeable.

Are you paying attention to the story? That's the point. She is annoying/passive because that is how Sobek was and thats how she is slowly becoming, separated from everyone, cold, calculated. Do you people skip dialogues?
The way Avad, Erend, and Varl all simp for her in the beginning. Cringey. Particularly Erend. Reel it in, guys. Sheesh.

Hot strong red head that saved the world is your best friend. You wouldnt simp for her? Unless you're gay, you 100% would.

5. I am getting a little tired of seeing spindly-armed women in charge of tribes or troops. I understood it with the Nora; they are a matriarchal society. But here it's happening everywhere, in all the societies: little woman in charge of burly men. To be clear, I'm not objecting because it's "woke." I'm objecting because 1) it's unrealistic, and 2) it pulls me out of the game.

Are YOU sure you're a fan of the first game? DO I need to remind you about its very feminist views? How all women are strong and men are buffoons or evil? The second game is the same, it's a feminist story, but not as on the nose as before imo because this time around the characters to feel like actual characters.

No point going further.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions

LOL at your channel name. fitting (for me too :messenger_smirking:)

sub'd.

proandrad

The appeal of Horizon is exploring the amazing looking world and hunting robot dinosaurs, but the unlikable main character makes me want to put the game down. The terrible story and endless dialog gets in the way of an actual good game.

Last edited:
I think one of the issues I have with the game, that I don't remember having with Horizon Zero Dawn, is that it looks like someone, somewhere around Sony offices is handing down this checklist of things that needs to be implemented which not necessarily were meant by the original creators. Many times it feels that things were good in the first place because the people in charge had creative freedom, the moment that game becomes popular, then here comes the checklist.

[Sigma]

I watched the intro and saw pop in and it made me irate lol. And I turned it off. I feel my cynicism growing.

Amiga

Overtalked to death by super annoying characters.

Too many weaknesses.
You scan every damn monster and then find you don't have XYZ arrows

the-office-michael-scott.gif

EDMIX

IMO HZD is the best of the Sony games released on PC so far by far. In fact i completed the game twice ina row almost.
I havent been impressed with the other games but HZD really got me. Maybe because it felt most like a Ubisoft game, and imo Ubisoft make the best open worlds (yeah bring on the smilies lol).

oh wow, I liked HZD, I don't know if I like it 2x back to back lol But I'm like that now days with all RPGs tbh They did a great job with its world, lore, fighting the different dinos. I'm going to jump right into HFW when my PS5 comes on the 28th with that COD bundle (selling that shit as I just don't play COD anymore lol)

Also agreed 100% with your comment regarding Ubisoft. I feel its something many people don't want to admit to be "edgy" but they are a solid publisher with lots of teams that do a great job crafting functional open worlds. I feel many time that for granted when they end up playing some mess with no AI, can't fly planes, drive boats etc I think they do many, many things well and people nitpick a bunch of stuff as if building all those systems is some easy task for something.

So admittedly I won't play every last Ubisoft open world game that comes out or something, but I trust their world functions, works and will have amazing looking environments.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Still my GOTY.

The game received so much flak because the open world was not like Elden Ring.

After beating Elden Ring last week, I just thought the open world exploration wasn't that great.

my response on another thread (you may not want to read the spoiler, op!):

nah. while including some very good aspects (all of which we'd already seen previously), forbidden west is an extremely disappointing game/sequel. it's an unfocused, unexciting rehash of the original, it oftentimes replaces superior original mechanics with inferior ones, & it is anchored to a genuinely ludicrous, laughable narrative:

'invasion of the elderly expats from sirius'? really?...

also, as a big fan of zero dawn, i ended up genuinely despising aloy by the end of forbidden west, & will likely pass on any further games featuring her as the protagonist. she's supercilious & obsessive, to the point of pure callousness, &, no, her worshipful little fan club / get along gang didn't manage to persuade me otherwise...
i enjoyed & replayed zero dawn, &, other than graphically, i think it's a far superior game to forbidden west in almost every way. i'm totally in agreement with the combat video in this thread - after really enjoying the combat in zero dawn, i was flabbergasted at just how poorly combat was 'retooled' in forbidden west. the ludicrously frantic, always on target attack behavior of enemies combined with aloy's multiple 30 second knockdowns, was wearing after the first dozen or so encounters, never mind 10s of hours of the same. so much of the game, mechanically, felt 'reinvented', & none of it was in any way equal to, never mind superior to, the original...

i got the same bundle you did, op, so it was my first ps5 game, &, disappointingly, after a couple dozen hours, i couldn't wait for it to end. as mentioned, i'm done with the series if aloy's still the protagonist (& very likely even if she's not)...

all i can say is, i'm pretty sure that you'll be discovering reasons to expand on your 'not so goods' list down the road a piece, op. so enjoy the break...

ChiefDada

Gold Member
You really nailed it. Horizon was never a top PS franchise for me, but the intriguing story is what made me see hzd through. HFW is a great technically leap above its predecessor and I applaud those accomplishments, but I was disappointed in the story evolution and character development. Initially I was excited about the rumored DLC, but I think I'm done with the franchise for the time being, definitely done with Aloy in her current state, she's just not believable as a human being and what's even worse is I feel like they doubled down and went out of their way to make her unbelievable in hfw.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
As of right now its my GOTY, tied with SIFU. And I cant decide which I liked more.

Easily the most detailed and beautiful open world i've ever played. I got lost as FUCK in this world.
Horizon Forbidden West and Sifu really made this year great for me

Hobbygaming

Still my GOTY.

The game received so much flak because the open world was not like Elden Ring.

After beating Elden Ring last week, I just thought the open world exploration wasn't that great.
This. A lot of people already had their minds made up about Horizon Forbidden West as soon as the Elden Ring reviews came rolling in

Hobbygaming

oh wow, I liked HZD, I don't know if I like it 2x back to back lol But I'm like that now days with all RPGs tbh They did a great job with its world, lore, fighting the different dinos. I'm going to jump right into HFW when my PS5 comes on the 28th with that COD bundle (selling that shit as I just don't play COD anymore lol)

Also agreed 100% with your comment regarding Ubisoft. I feel its something many people don't want to admit to be "edgy" but they are a solid publisher with lots of teams that do a great job crafting functional open worlds. I feel many time that for granted when they end up playing some mess with no AI, can't fly planes, drive boats etc I think they do many, many things well and people nitpick a bunch of stuff as if building all those systems is some easy task for something.

So admittedly I won't play every last Ubisoft open world game that comes out or something, but I trust their world functions, works and will have amazing looking environments.
I'm glad you're getting your PS5 bro

Horizon Forbidden West
TLOU remake
Sifu
GT7
Demon Souls
Astro's Playroom
Returnal
Stray
Spider-man MM
Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart

You're gonna have a blast!

Last edited:

gatti-man

my response on another thread (you may not want to read the spoiler, op!):

i enjoyed & replayed zero dawn, &, other than graphically, i think it's a far superior game to forbidden west in almost every way. i'm totally in agreement with the combat video in this thread - after really enjoying the combat in zero dawn, i was flabbergasted at just how poorly combat was 'retooled' in forbidden west. the ludicrously frantic, always on target attack behavior of enemies combined with aloy's multiple 30 second knockdowns, was wearing after the first dozen or so encounters, never mind 10s of hours of the same. so much of the game, mechanically, felt 'reinvented', & none of it was in any way equal to, never mind superior to, the original...

i got the same bundle you did, op, so it was my first ps5 game, &, disappointingly, after a couple dozen hours, i couldn't wait for it to end. as mentioned, i'm done with the series if aloy's still the protagonist (& very likely even if she's not)...

all i can say is, i'm pretty sure that you'll be discovering reasons to expand on your 'not so goods' list down the road a piece, op. so enjoy the break...
EXACTLY. Forbidden west felt lazy. Yeah it had a ton of quests but were they good? Yeah the story was more wordy BUT WAS IT GOOD? More story combat BUT WAS IT GOOD? no. None of it was good.

Enemy variety was abysmal. Combat repetitive. Story was extremely flat and by the number. Aloy didn’t even feel like the same person. The dudes are weird simps all of a sudden. The game did absolutely dick with the amazing art and world of the first. And that ending, whoooooosh.

The game felt forced and even rushed conceptually. Fighting humans was the worst part of HZD and they made it the core of the game in the second without fixing anything.

HZD was likely my favorite game on the ps4 this was a downgrade for me in every possible way but graphics.

Last edited:

EDMIX

I'm glad you're getting your PS5 bro

Horizon Forbidden West
TLOU remake
Sifu
GT7
Demon Souls
Astro's Playroom
Returnal
Stray
Spider-man MM
Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart

You're gonna have a blast!

Thanks!

I'm going to be running thru HFW later this month when my PS5 comes and then the new God Of War next month, then hunting for those sweet, sweet blackfriday deals for the rest, Demon Souls remake, GT7, Last Of Us remake etc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom