• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thoughts on Max Payne (played with the Steam controller, gyro aiming enabled on PC)

gfk3NUX.jpg

I really like this game so far! Whenether it be the storytelling, how the story is presented, the gameplay, the Bullet Time, the dodging, jumping, weapon switching, it's all so simple, yet so deep because of how much one can combine the various maneuvers to pull off some great stunts! Other things too like the sound of footsteps and other details like the environment interaction make this game feel ahead of it's time for the time it released in. Another thing I'd like to share about the gameplay so far is that it's a linear shooter, yet it has that old school feeling like Quake 1 mixed with some other things like DMC/Bayo and graphically reminds me of earlier GTA games. That's not to say the game doesn't have it's own identity, because it does. You have X painkillers! The game made me chuckle hard because it's telling such a serious story and then you have the infamous character model of Max Payne Sam Lake...smiling through it all?! It's so tonally bizzare LOL. So yea that's my thoughts on Max Payne so far!

qGCzS2H.jpg

GymWolf

One of the best game ever created.

the only things where max payne 2 is better are graphics, havok, ragdoll, animations and the mission with vinny gognitti in a rabbit furry costume (still a masterpiece tho)

Last edited:

Soodanim

I discarded these from my “Want to play” backlog, but if you’re having a good time with a SC profile I might give it another shot. What profile are you using? Custom or community?

HE1NZ

Banned
I disagree. It is way shorter and has hardly any memorable characters. No boss fights at all, I believe? It did look great at the time and had amazing physics. Mona was a nice addition as well.
It's maybe slightly shorter, but it's much easier too which is why it feels shorter. But I'd say it's even better written than 1.

Reactions: eot

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Replayed 1 and 2 last month. ON 120hz crt at that !
1 sucks ass in 2nd half especially. Atmosphere is amazing but gameplay is terrible quck save/load trapfest. And yes I have nostalgia for it... I played it when it came out on my vodoo
2 on the other hand is amazing all over. Just fantastic game and aged even better. Story, graphic, gameplay, quality of life improvements, pacing. Everything is perfect in this game

Last edited:

Dacon

Banned
I'm one of those people who loved every single MP game, even 3. I would love to get more Max. As much as I enjoyed 3 though, I'd want something more in line with 1 or 2's tone.

I could easily see a new game about Max going back to NYC to settle his past once and for all and getting dragged into some new drama by some of his old friends on the force, or remnants of the Inner Circle.

ZywyPL

Banned
"A man with nothing to lose, do not cross". The best TPP game I have ever played, hands down - the gameplay, the graphics, the plot, noir comics storytelling, the overall atmosphere, everything was 10/10 in this game when it arrived, and most of those aspects are still better than in most modern games.

DaGwaphics

The first two were all-time favorites of mine. The crying baby - hallway - lava bits did get tedious, but nothing is perfect.

Nymphae

Banned
I think it's one of the best games ever made. The noir elements, the voice work, a captivating revenge story, great characterizations, memorable set pieces, deeply satisfying, unique gameplay mechanics. There isn't much here to criticize in my opinion.

Last edited:
I discarded these from my “Want to play” backlog, but if you’re having a good time with a SC profile I might give it another shot. What profile are you using? Custom or community?

I made a custom one. Took me an hour or so to tweak it to my satisfaction. I made it so touching the right trackpad enables gyro aiming, which works great in this game.

I just made it public and this is the link to apply the config to your current setup: steam://controllerconfig/12140/2060812857

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
Max payne was awesome. The third game was also pretty great, I don't get why it got so much flak.
It's pretty obvious, isn't it?
While the game itself wasn't terrible, it had absolutely nothing Max Payne about it.

There was no air of mystery, no uncertainty if what you see right now is even real, no noir style. Just nothing. Max Payne 1+2 were never standard shooters.
MP3, however, was a bog standard cover shooter in a time when exactly that type of game was as common as sand grains on a beach. With the only thing connecting it to the rest of the series being the name of the main character.

I played through the game and it just left me thoroughly disappointed, while I forgot absolutely every second of gameplay in it.
What I expected was something truly special, what I got was a standard casual FPS, a dime a dozen...
Meanwhile, I still remember loads of stuff that happened in MP1 or 2 - despite being a much longer time since I played those.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

It's pretty obvious, isn't it?
While the game itself wasn't terrible, it had absolutely nothing Max Payne about it.

There was no air of mystery, no uncertainty if what you see right now is even real, no noir style. Just nothing. Max Payne 1+2 were never standard shooters.
MP3, however, was a bog standard cover shooter in a time when exactly that type of game was as common as sand grains on a beach. With the only thing connecting it to the rest of the series being the name of the main character.

I played through the game and it just left me thoroughly disappointed, while I forgot absolutely every second of gameplay in it.
What I expected was something truly special, what I got was a standard casual FPS, a dime a dozen...
Meanwhile, I still remember loads of stuff that happened in MP1 or 2 - despite being a much longer time since I played those.
Hit the nail on the head there chief.

Top Bottom