• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thousands of packages in L.A. being looted from trains (Amazon, UPS, COVID tests)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TransTrender

Gold Member
All the people who didn't get their packages because of these criminals did not reap what they were sowing.
Correct, they are the victims here, like the rail company.
This is with respect to the local government which chose to ignore low level crimes, and eventually those criminal elements figured out there are no reprocussions for theft like this (and the huge retail theft events that have been happening), so by letting crime slide it metastasized to the situation we have now in California.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I live in LA

I frequently get delayed package notifications, wonder how many are due to this

But yeah, package theft is rampant. I live near downtown, the gutters/sidewalks are often littered with open packages.
I live in Toronto and have never had one missing package or any deliveries stolen from my porch. I dont think I've even had a delay beyond what it says in the estimated window where sometimes it'll say a product will come in a month as it's sourced from a third party. If anything I get it faster than the stated window.

You guys in the US..... you guys got some awesome cities and states where you see all the great stuff on TV, but then you see all the ghetto crud too. I've been to NY, Chicago, Detroit, Buffalo. Each one the same. You got some sweet nice neighbourhoods, then you drive 5 or 10 minutes to another area and it's like you just drove into Welfareville with abandoned boarded up homes and apartment buildings where stores and Subway sandwich have bulletproof glass at the counter. Crazy.

Chicago was the worst impression. 20 years ago a bunch of us drove to Chicago. First time for all of us. Whatever main highway it is you use to drive into downtown Chicago was lined with abandoned apartments with boarded up windows or no boards at all. It were dead apartments. It was like an episode of COPS. Not sure if it's still like that now. So maybe it's all tidied up.

I have never seen a boarded up apartment like that ever in Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, Calgary.

Last edited:

Dural

I live in Toronto and have never had one missing package or any deliveries stolen from my porch. I dont think I've even had a delay beyond what it says in the estimated window where sometimes it'll say a product will come in a month as it's sourced from a third party. If anything I get it faster than the stated window.

You guys in the US..... you guys got some awesome cities and states where you see all the great stuff on TV, but then you see all the ghetto crud too. I've been to NY, Chicago, Detroit, Buffalo. Each one the same. You got some sweet nice neighbourhoods, then you drive 5 or 10 minutes to another area and it's like you just drove into Welfareville with abandoned boarded up homes and apartment buildings where stores and Subway sandwich have bulletproof glass at the counter. Crazy.

Chicago was the worst impression. 20 years ago a bunch of us drove to Chicago. First time for all of us. Whatever main highway it is you use to drive into downtown Chicago was lined with abandoned apartments with boarded up windows or no boards at all. It were dead apartments. It was like an episode of COPS. Not sure if it's still like that now. So maybe it's all tidied up.

I have never seen a boarded up apartment like that ever in Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, Calgary.

That's why so many of us like to live in the suburbs. I live about an hour and 15 minutes from Chicago, lived here for 30 years, never locked our door and never had anything stolen off our porch. We're the ones that get talked down to by the media, politicians, and celebrities. We're fly over country, but at least I don't have to worry about the shit that goes on in the big cities. Doesn't seem worth it to me.

I have family in Chicago. Chicago is definitely one of the more extreme cases. Where my parents live, it is incredibly safe, clean and nice. Other parts of Chicago will be setting record homicides over the same weekend.

Los Angeles is huge. I don't think a lot of people really understand how big the city is. I used to hate LA but it's grown on me. I now love the city and plan to spend the rest of my life here. There is basically a neighborhood that can cater to whatever you're into. That's why now when people tell me they hate LA, I ask "What part of LA?"

And before people ask, yes I've traveled plenty. I've visited ~10 countries in Europe and spent a significant of time in Asia (China/Hong Kong/ SE Asia). Tbh if I was ever going to leave LA and move it would probably be to SE Asia. But that would take a dramatic change in my life to get me to move there. Still, I sometimes find myself fantasizing about it.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
That's why so many of us like to live in the suburbs. I live about an hour and 15 minutes from Chicago, lived here for 30 years, never locked our door and never had anything stolen off our porch. We're the ones that get talked down to by the media, politicians, and celebrities. We're fly over country, but at least I don't have to worry about the shit that goes on in the big cities. Doesn't seem worth it to me.
After that dreadful Chicago impression, I had been to Chicago a few more times. On business. Much better experience. Had a meeting in Hoffman Estates and that was a nice place. Took a train downtown so I can be a tourist on that Miracle Mile (whatever it's called). I remember the Garretts popcorn being so salty and buttery it burned my lips, but that was a fun trip. When I landed, my American colleague said lets go to Tilted Kilt. I had no idea what that place was (we got them here now). No surprise, my colleague was always a pig. lol

The hotel guy was awesome. He knew I wanted to go downtown, but I didn't know what to do or had a car or anything. So he said let's go and he drove me to the train station. And when I got back, I called the hotel and someone else came and picked me up! Sweet. Nice hotel crew.

Last edited:

nush

Gold Member
If fewer people are arrested for felony theft, then you have fewer people in jail/prisons, so they increased the felony threshold to $1000. Anything under that is a misdemeanor and a slap on the wrist, so cops don't even bother now.

That's always been the case, in a way. "Not worth the resources to investigate" Sorry your bike got stolen kid, and you know who did it and you can see it being ridden around town by some other kid. Here's a crime number for you. At least they are being honest about it now.

levyjl1988

Banned
Honestly just kill all of these people. There are so many garbage people out there. Just make them all disappear already. At least with China there is order, social credit system to force people to behave a certain way. Don’t expect your citizens to be respectful like Japan, they can have kids ride the train without worry, but America it is so fucked. There needs to be harsher penalties.

Gp1

Looks like a 3rd world country.

Nah. Here they only steal cargo trucks. And even this is "démodé" and heavily suppressed by the police when it grows out of control like that.

What i find funny is how the 80's/90's NY with the broken window policy generates a sharp drop in crimes rating and basically cleans the city. Fast forward to 2020's California and the "defund the police" movement with a "$999,98 misdemeanor policy" leads to train robberies.

Who would have thought that this would happen... :unsure:

Last edited:

nush

Gold Member
Honestly just kill all of these people. There are so many garbage people out there. Just make them all disappear already. At least with China there is order, social credit system to force people to behave a certain way. Don’t expect your citizens to be respectful like Japan, they can have kids ride the train without worry, but America it is so fucked. There needs to be harsher penalties.

Sure sounds great if you think you are "One of the good ones". Then the system will come for you.

OIP-C.pi2Dij79TpEowyjMhO8NDwHaEJ

TDiddyLive

It's okay, they'll be sorry when they get arrested and spend a whole 24 hours in jail and then get released to do it all over again, and again, and again...
24 hours? HA!!! That would be hard time for them.

Older article, but that’s exactly what’s going on. Actually it’s gotten worse.

Go_Ly_Dow

Breaking down of culture. Will likely only get worse.

Going to be a rough year with fentanyl continuing its rampage, inflation going to the moon and the pandemic economic fallout continuing.

Last edited:

Goalus

At first sight this seems awful.
But there are more important issues in today's world. For example: are the blue checkmark Twitter people addressed by the correct pronoun?

24 hours? HA!!! That would be hard time for them.

Older article, but that’s exactly what’s going on. Actually it’s gotten worse.
On the plus side, no one on Twitter can be offended anymore because of violence against criminals who happen to have the wrong skin color.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Who else thinks this will lead to stricter control, more loops to get through and more money to spend for honest people, while this continues pretty much undisturbed but less enough that propaganda can tell you it’s getting better?

B D Joe

Exactly but too many Americans continue to make excuses for these criminals so the problem is only going to get worse.

We've seen over these past couple years the decline of American culture, you attack your police but worship your criminals and even erect statues for them.

So maybe you really do 'reap what you sow'?

Get off your knees and start fighting back already!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Nah. Here they only steal cargo trucks. And even this is "démodé" and heavily suppressed by the police when it grows out of control like that.

What i find funny is how the 80's/90's NY with the broken window policy generates a sharp drop in crimes rating and basically cleans the city. Fast forward to 2020's California and the "defund the police" movement with a "$999,98 misdemeanor policy" leads to train robberies.

Who would have thought that this would happen... :unsure:
Anyone with one brain cell knows the more lax you get on crime, the more they'll do it. And you can see it's getting more bravado with people just robbing stores with zero fear and now robbing trains like this is a western movie with bandits snatching shit.

But it comes down to a handful of reasons why governments get lax on this.

1. Votes. Pander to deadbeats with handouts and lax crime bills and they'll vote for ya. And those southern states get tons of people like that especially California which is the hotbed for weirdos. It's a west coast thing because you get tons of weird people in BC too. Thats why you dont see weird laws like this in northern states (even if they are democrat states).

2. As some people brought up above, jails and prisons only have so many spots, so unless gov wants to overcrowd cells or build more prisons, you might as well just let petty thief kinds of people off and pray they just dont do it again.

3. You got a lazy government. Druggies hanging out in tents all day in SF is another issue where gov just gave up. But you got to stick with it or else it just snowballs into a giant mess which becomes impossible to solve later. And a city gov needs some back up resources to solve it. Every big city has their hub of homeless people. Toronto too. Toronto cleaned it up and in the second link they found homeless people some shelter. SF has oodles of money, build some buildings. Now if Toronto did nothing it'd only get worse.

It's like owning a home. You got responsibilities. It's easy to fix and clean it when it's in good shape. But if you leave everything to turn into crud, it can get really unmotivating to fix the place because the problems have snowballed into something to big to bother with. Thats why so many people probably live like slobs. It's not like someone moves into a house and it's instantly slobby from day one. It takes time for it to resemble Hoarders. But if nobody cleans the place for a year, it's a mess and many people will give up.

Never knew this but in 2002, there was some, but it got squashed by the city and Home Depot. And then more recently the government squashed 3 tent camps in public parks. You got to act on this fast.

Last edited:

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
So after the whole failed war on drugs, death penalty not having an effect, you think harsher methods are going to work? How about getting these people a job, health insurance and so on.

Fun fact:
Japan has all that, and simply denied Yakuza the possibility to ride public transportation, rent a flat, get a mobile phone contract - And now they all had to let go off organized crime. Lol.

Winter John

Calm your tits Bezos. We ain't going to turn America into a totalitarian hellhole just because some packages got stolen.

There are hundreds of studies that always show the same thing - harsher penalties are not a deterrent. But please go on.

That is cause people who are criminally minded think they won't get caught. Criminals are optimists. What you have to do is make an example of people. Catch them early, and often, and if they don't get with the program remove them from society. I have zero compassion for thieves. "Oh you steal stuff, I wonder what other crimes you commit."

Mistake

East and west Japan are very different from each other, same goes for north and south China. In fact, Beijing was a total pigsty before they had to clean it for the 2008 olympics. Point is, a lot of countries have their own problematic areas, you just might not hear about it

Tams

Gold Member
So after the whole failed war on drugs, death penalty not having an effect, you think harsher methods are going to work? How about getting these people a job, health insurance and so on.

Fun fact:
Japan has all that, and simply denied Yakuza the possibility to ride public transportation, rent a flat, get a mobile phone contract - And now they all had to let go off organized crime. Lol.
Fun fact:

Japanese culture is much more about the group than the individual, so people are a lot less likely to do something that harms the group (society). It's obviously not all Japanese people and not all good (hell, there are some very nasty downsides), but that is the main reason why Japan is much more orderly.

And the Yakuza were never that great in number.

But there's nothing 'simple' about any of this. Give out too many handouts and many of these people will still not try to improve their lives. I've seen it in my home country: they'd rather just get a widescreen (or 8k these days) TV than do something useful. So all that really leaves you with is the stick. You need to be careful how you apply it, but it's the only thing left that will work.

JayK47

So much entitlement to take so much that is not yours and in no way earned. Maybe this is the real reason the store shelves are empty. This is the supply chain "issue" we hear so much about.

Unk Adams

Banned
How about getting these people a job, health insurance and so on.
That doesn't help the fact that many people would rather reject any opportunities you give them and would rather do this instead. In fact, there's a job shortage (where those employees offer health insurance and other benefits!) in many of these areas where this is happening and you have people choosing to do this instead. Many people (and they can come from any backgrounds, whether they're privileged or poor) have behavior that is simply detrimental to society and given the choice to contribute to society with a regular job or commit crime and just act like shit in general would choose the latter.

It's tough for some people to believe but if you've ever dealt with the general public (and it can be with any population whether they're rich, poor, or middle class) you know that many people are inherently pieces of shit who cause problems for everyone around them. It's sad to say but it's the truth.

ah the progressive states......and their horse shit policies

Californians are packing their bags and leaving the states. California population shrinks 2 years in a row

But liberals think-tanks from their universities and left-wing media says California exodus is a myth

they blame it on pandemic, foreign immigration, and lower birth rates.....they blame everything but their own regulations/policies

like pandemic, foreign immigration, lower birth rates only affect their states. Meanwhile conservative states are gaining population

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
What a shithole indeed.

Considering that Gavin Newsom somehow won his recall election, I have to assume this is what California wants. 🤷‍♂️

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This is why the state is a lost cause as the people VOTED this bullshit right in. It's also why people in other states are justifiably pissed of Californians now deciding to up and leave the state that they're responsible for ruining, and move to Red states and then continue their horrid voting practices there, and thus making things turn to shit like CA.
Like a virus. Spreading from host to host.

This is why the state is a lost cause as the people VOTED this bullshit right in. It's also why people in other states are justifiably pissed of Californians now deciding to up and leave the state that they're responsible for ruining, and move to Red states and then continue their horrid voting practices there, and thus making things turn to shit like CA.

Conservatives should filter these Californians, round them up and send them back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom