• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THR: JJ Abrams' Superman Won't Be Part of the DCEU Universe, Will Feature a Black Kal-El

ManaByte

When Warners announced in February that celebrated author Ta-Nehisi Coates is writing the screenplay and Abrams is producing, it did not address the matter of helming. But insiders say Warners and DC are committed to hiring a Black director to tackle what will be the first cinematic incarnation of Superman featuring a Black actor, with one source adding that putting Abrams at the helm would be “tone-deaf.”

DC sees its upcoming Flash movie, which began production in April in London, as its way forward in this post-Snyder world. With the inclusion of such characters as Supergirl (Sasha Calle) and Michael Keaton’s Batman, one thing Flash does is set up DC with a multiverse that allows for many of these incarnations and story universes to co-exist and have superheroes interact. So far, every movie and TV show, with the exception of Matt Reeves’ The Batman, starring Robert Pattinson and set for release in March, HBO Max’s spinoff Gotham PD, and Joker and its planned sequel, will take place in the same universe.

The Superman film appears to be moving onto its own track and won’t be part of the universe, as of now. Sources tell THR that Coates is crafting a Kal-El in the vein of the original Superman comics and will have the protagonist hail from Krypton and come to Earth. While the story is currently being crafted and many details could change, one option under consideration is for the film to be a 20th century period piece.

Of course people aren't happy about this.

E0oVzY9XoAY1mKk

E0oVzY8WEAIkfgG

CloudNull

Banned
I don't care what color of skin Batman is but why the fuck is The Batman and Joker not part of the DCEU. I am having a hard time keeping it all straight and the movies aren't even out.

Lol first Into the Spider-Verse has to go to another dimension to find a black Spider-Man. Now we go to a new universe for a black Superman.

I would have more respect for these race hustling hacks if they stuck to their guns. Just make the main real superhero black and quit bluffing.

ManaByte

I don't care what color of skin Batman is but why the fuck is The Batman and Joker not part of the DCEU. I am having a hard time keeping it all straight and the movies aren't even out.

Because The Batman is set in present day and would clash with Batfleck/Keaton in The Flash. Joker I don't see why has to be separate since it's set in the 80s. They could say there are multiple Jokers like in the comics.

Ok, I have an bold idea for white people. You give black Superman for a movie in exchange for a white shaft for 3 movies!!!??!?!?

you can have one black Superman movie for 3 asian Shaft movies for a latina Enter The Dragon for a duo of pacific islanders in a new harold and kumar movie, indians get a new caddy shack and vacation movie, native americans get a braveheart remake, and white people can voice the crows in a new dumbo, except the crows are now pigeons.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
you can have one black Superman movie for 3 asian Shaft movies for a latina Enter The Dragon for a duo of pacific islanders in a new harold and kumar movie, indians get a new caddy shack and vacation movie, native americans get a braveheart remake, and white people can voice the crows in a new dumbo, except the crows are now pigeons.
Porgress! That's how you get things done folks!

Lol first Into the Spider-Verse has to go to another dimension to find a black Spider-Man. Now we go to a new universe for a black Superman.

I would have more respect for these race hustling hacks if they stuck to their guns. Just make the main real superhero black and quit bluffing.
Um, what?

I think you just exposed your hand here... little bit of racism seeping out?

Miles Morales is IN universe for Spider-Man. He takes over when Peter dies/retires depending on canon.

Spider-Gwen is the alternate reality Spider-Woman... maybe you got confused? Or maybe you used a bad example to prop up your own feelings?

Last edited:

ManaByte

I don't keep up with a lot of this stuff. What is this person referring to when saying "a petty grudge"?

I really love Man of Steel. It wasn't perfect, but I thought it was a very strong Superman movie.
The crowd who are fans of a certain director's movies have a nutbar conspiracy theory that WB is holding a grudge against Cavill.

ManaByte

More silly shit from DC. Why make yet another "not connected" movie? Do they have any vision whatsoever?

Yes, The Flash (which is filming right now) is rebooting the universe. Despite some on the Internet refusing to believe it. There's a plan that they have for things after The Flash cleans things up and they just gave JJ Abrams $500M to basically be their Feige (along with Christina Hodson who is writing The Flash).

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Why can't they just cast POC as a new super hero? What would happen if Cavill was cast a Black Panther? All hell would break loose.

Burning Blade

Gold Member
What does Warner Brothers have against Henry Cavill? Seems like he was maybe the one actor consistently liked throughout all the Snyderverse movies. Shit, all the females I know love the guy and most guys like him too. Black Supes is fine, but they definitely doing Cavill dirty.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
More silly shit from DC. Why make yet another "not connected" movie? Do they have any vision whatsoever?
Just tried to fastrack the DCU without a plan as opposed to following the MCU 11 year plan (the build up to Endgame). Universal Monsters tried to fastrack that too with The Mummy and shoehorning in Dr. Jekyl.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Why can't they just cast POC as a new super hero? What would happen if Cavill was cast a Black Panther? All hell would break loose.
Because writers, companies and the vast majority of people who focus on racial stuff wanting this or that are too lazy to come up with new material.

Easy to sit in front of a PC and complain on Twitter for change. But not eager enough to do something yourself being part of the change.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I saw a snippet in there about a Joker sequel. Did Joaquin Phoenix and Todd Phillips say they're coming back or did I miss something there?

Black Panther made a shit ton of money and they're probably betting that Black Americans will turn out in droves to see a Superman movie with a black lead.

Last edited:

ManaByte

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Is this the article where she said Wonder Woman 1984 would be Flashpoint?
I don't know what you want to say here ? Nobody has a 100% correct track record. Anyway we just have to wait and see.
Well the JJ Abrams Superman isn't part of the DCEU so Cavill can still be Superman in the main series. Batfleck is in The Flash (at the beginning of the movie).
We all know Batfleck is gonna die in The Flash, and if WB wanted more of Cavill Man of Steel 2 would be here already. I mean it's from 2013...
So yeah on paper it's possible, but it won't happen.

Ok instead of changing Superman, why can’t we get films for the awesome black characters in dc? Where my fuckin static shock film or John Stewart green lantern film.
They only see white characters as legitimate.
Race bending is a one-way street.

Top Bottom