• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tierlist of popular videogame adaptations as at 2023 (roughly 50 movies/TV shows)

kicker

Banned
edit: made an updated list with more movies, I'll link the site if anyone asks
uy3NgAi.jpg

Goes without saying this is all my opinion, but the only ones I can't decide exactly where to place are RedvsBlue and Emesis Blue. I think they're good overall but they're fan animations, so eh

In case you want to make yours, this is the tier list https://tierlists.com/create/vg-adaptations I used as a basis, but it doesn't contain all the images in the final one above

What do you think?

edit: and by popular, I really just meant 'popular ones I remember'

It's amazing we still have Dishonoured, WH40k, Metal Gear, Borderlands, and Fallout shows to look forward to

Last edited:

kicker

Banned
Forgot about Doom Annihilation, surprised that I liked that movie almost as much as the 2005 Doom. Probably high c-tier

I have no idea how people liked the new Mario movie. It was so subpar. The brand did so much heavy lifting.

I even think they did a shit job with the music. Bowser and the Emo star were the only good characters.

kicker

Banned
How is Arcane not S tier?
Well, to me S tier means that I watched the entire thing without once noticing anything that distracted me or stuck out as being off in some way

I had some personal issues with some aspects of arcane that kept coming back as I watched

Bragr

Banned
What is going on with your kick avatar?

I find your list weird, but dude, Dead or alive at C? Do you know how much you are triggering me right now? That movie doesn't even deserve to be listed. I remember the opening, where some princess girl wants to escape a palace and jumps up and runs on the top of the heads of all her guards and flies off a cliff. She lands at the Dead or Alive tournament. And then it gets shittier from there.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
uy3NgAi.jpg

Goes without saying this is all my opinion, but the only ones I can't decide exactly where to place are RedvsBlue and Emesis Blue. I think they're good overall but they're fan animations, so eh

I can't seem to make the image any sharper, and I'm currently too lazy to make it higher rez

In case you want to make yours, this is the tier list https://tierlists.com/create/vg-adaptations I used as a basis, but it doesn't contain all the images in the final one above

What do you think?

S is for Gravity rush Overture.

🌟

DaciaJC

Gold Member
The Witcher does not belong anywhere near A-tier. The second season was a complete travesty. Even the better-received first season fell short of the mark in several ways.

And while I didn't watch it myself, I was under the impression that the Street Fighter movie was actually somewhat popular? Maybe it developed a cult following after a while, but that's where the famous "For me, it was Tuesday" scene with M. Bison is from, right?

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
Will not watch? I figured none of them were offensive enough for that.

Unless you mean they just seem like shit, but, eh, I usually keep watching if just to catch the references
This.
Not all the "haven't watched" will remain that way as there are some that I'll be checking out.
But most of it I will not be watching.

kicker

Banned
The Witcher does not belong anywhere near A-tier. The second season was a complete travesty. Even the better-received first season fell short of the mark in several ways.
I stopped at season 1 and that was A enough for me. Low A, but just enough to put it above the movies in B

Well, to me S tier means that I watched the entire thing without once noticing anything that distracted me or stuck out as being off in some way

I had some personal issues with some aspects of arcane that kept coming back as I watched

That makes no sense really. There is no such thing as perfection in any form of media whether it be video games or film.

There are always going to be small things that may be of or distracting, but if the entire experience is really solid then it'd as close to a masterpiece as you are going to get. It's same thing with Last of Us Part II. It's not a perfect game, ht is a masterpiece for what it is.

Puscifer

I think I only even liked Dead or Alive because it was unbelievable as stupid as the game in the story. "A super secret world company is hosting a worldwide fighting tournament featuring super powerful clones made from Japanese forest ninja DNA in the year of our lord 2005"

Last edited:

kicker

Banned
Elder Legend Elder Legend from your posts around the forum, it seems you're a reviewer so you've probably had this same discussion several times, but still: I do not agree with your definition of masterpiece
That makes no sense really. There is no such thing as perfection in any form of media whether it be video games or film.
There are always going to be small things that may be of or distracting,
If particular aspects of a product stick out to the point that they drag the overall experience down, it cannot be a masterpiece for me. Another product will come along and do the same thing except those weak parts will be excellent instead. Comparing those two, only one will deserve to be called a masterpiece, in my opinion.
One will make me enthusiastically and unironically stand up and clap like a fool when the credits roll, and the other will make me say "that was really damn good *except for this and that but I'll disregard it because the rest is so damn good". One is a masterpiece, the other is just really damn good. That's the difference between S- and A-tier for me.

And I'm not talking about trivial technical issues like "this one character's hands are animated strangely for 48 frames in this one episode" or "the sound mixing is crap in this scene so I have to raise my volume and seek back 10 seconds to rewatch it". I mean things that take me, personally, out of it after I've already suspended my disbelief and entered into the world you're presenting.

but if the entire experience is really solid then it'd as close to a masterpiece as you are going to get.
But it isn't as close as we're ever going to get, it's as close as we've gotten so far, but not close enough for me. One day, maybe just a few years from now, people will attempt what this supposed masterpiece did, but they will do it objectively better. I'm not supposed to say oh, this thing makes my experience worse but everything else is great and it would be hard to make something greater so therefore this flaw should be forgotten and the excellence parts alone should be appreciated. The media I like will never get close to its ideal form in my lifetime If everyone just accepts apparent flaws because it's the best we're going to get for the time/expertise level.

tl;dr arcane is damn great stuff, but what good is a superlative like 'masterpiece' if there's an asterisk next to it that says 'consciously disregarding its flaws since its strengths are so great'?

Mozzarella

I would put Arcane and only Arcane at S, the rest you do.
Arcane animation is silky smooth and the characters were all interesting, i had hard time to pick a favorite character because of how many good ones are there, the animation perfectly matches the game's lore, its like it was made to be like this.
Surprise of the year that show was. lol I expected it to suck.

Shifty1897

I thought the bottom tier was an F tier and I saw Cyberpunk Edgerunners and lost my shit. Arcane, Last of Us, and Cyberpunk belong in S tier.

Last edited:

kicker

Banned
Theyre straight up better than the material they are adapting. Very few adaptations have managed to do that.
Personally, being better than (admittedly good) videogame plots isn't enough to automatically justify s-tier for me

Sonic is a B but Sonic 2 is haven't watched to you? Sonic 2 was way better IMO.
You're the first person I've seen to think sonic 2 was way better. Only part of 2 I liked more than 1 was the final fight.
It's all opinions though so meh

Unknown?

Personally, being better than (admittedly good) videogame plots isn't enough to automatically justify s-tier for me

You're the first person I've seen to think sonic 2 was way better. Only part of 2 I liked more than 1 was the final fight.
It's all opinions though so meh
Really? Dr Robotnik was way better, he was finally his normal self like as in the games. Knuckles was a better foe than he had in the first game and everything was generally more geared around the world of Sonic. Only thing that wasn't better IMO were the human parts like the wedding in Hawaii.

Sonic 1 was good too though.

Synless

uy3NgAi.jpg

I can't seem to make the image any sharper, and I'm currently too lazy to make it higher rez

What do you think?

It's amazing we still have Dishonoured, WH40k, Metal Gear, Borderlands, and Fallout shows to look forward to
We are for real saying Kingsglaive is a higher tier than the new Mario movie? Fuck off with this list.

I love Final Fantasy but that’s bullshit.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Street fighter anime's were decent... Can't find them though.
Street Fighter Alpha Generations was good. I grabbed it on PSN before they stopped selling movies.

Max Payne was a decent flick. I can’t remember much of the Postal film, but that film and all of Uwe Boll’s films get mentioned a lot in gaming history books.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I can say that the Assassins creed movie was a boring piece of shit movie.

final fantasy spirits within is actually a good fictional movie, but misunderstood.

Final fantasy VII was a good movie.

Tekken with ling xiaoyu as protagonist was a excellent CGI movie.

Tekken movie 90s was heavy for me, I hate the way the beautiful Jun is mistreated, I hate the jerk kazuya and the fact that Lei is not Jun's partner.

Besides, there was no story for Paul, I didn't like the movie.

Last edited:

Doom85

S-tier: Arcane
A-tier: Castlevania, Cyberpunk, Detective Pikachu
B-tier: Sonic 1 and 2, Silent Hill 1, Final Fantasy VII: AC, Red vs. Blue, Mortal Kombat ‘95
C-tier: Angry Birds, Ratchet and Clank, Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City, Warcraft, Tomb Raider 2001, Mario Bros 2023, Mortal Kombat 2021, Resident Evil Vendetta
D-tier: Assassin’s Creed, DOA, Doom, Street Fighter, Mario Bros 1993
F-tier: Paul W.S. Anderson‘s Resident Evil movies (the first film can go in D), Mortal Kombat Annihilation, Final Fantasy Spirits Within
Burn it with fire, ALL THE FIRE tier: Silent Hill: Revelations
Haven’t seen: anything not listed, though I omitted anime adaptations of games. Also, the D&D movies were adapting the tabletop game, not a video game (but D&D: Honor Among Thieves would be A, while the 2000 film would be D)

Last edited:

kicker

Banned
We are for real saying Kingsglaive is a higher tier than the new Mario movie? Fuck off with this list.

I love Final Fantasy but that’s bullshit.
Not 'we', just me. My tierlist. If you don't like it, you can make yours. But let's discuss your point anyway

For a neutral watcher(neither a mario or ff fan)

Kingsglaive:
Good plot
Good animation
Good voice acting
Beautiful, realistic visual style that still looked good in action scenes (a little too many particle effects, but eh)
More interesting characters that are almost 1:1 with the game (princess was kinda meh)
Themes of duty, betrayal, worthiness, sacrifice constantly explored nicely
Much better fight scenes
A slow, building pace early on that ramps up around the middle to good effect

Mario:
Beautiful visuals
Good animation
Ok to meh voice acting
Basic plot that felt rushed
Characters are faithful to the games but not interesting beyond that
Licensed music choices did *not* land for me
Themes of family, courage and tenacity not explored well enough (family one was ok, really)
Pacing was off from the second mario entered the castle to meet peach
Ok fight scenes
Funny at times

Again, all ^ is my opinion, but that is why I put mario in a lower tier

kicker

Banned
Also, the D&D movies were adapting the tabletop game, not a video game (but D&D: Honor Among Thieves would be A, while the 2000 film would be D)
D&D: Honor Among is videogame?
It isnt a direct adaptation of a particular videogame, no.
Thing is, If I went with that rule for including items, then I wouldn't put the witcher either since it was based off the book and just also happened to have a popular videogame. Dnd is the same since jt does have videogames and a lot of my favourite games are dervied off of dnd rules and settings.

I felt it was close enough

Last edited:
It's really hated but I didn't think Warcraft was that bad for a fantasy flick, I've no interest in the game so I guess it helped going in as cold as you can get :messenger_grinning_sweat: It probably bombed tho as the way it ended hinted at a sequel but it never came.

The Hammer & Bolter W40K animated series is decent if you're interested in Warhammer, each episode is self contained but there's some cool episodes

Top Bottom