• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TIME Magazine's Top 50 inventions of 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
This thread is putting cracks in the wall between gaming and OT.

Either its bitterness, or gamers have an intense inferiority complex about technology in their medium.

I doubt any singular part about the Natal project is new or remarkable. But when people saw Milo (and I'm not just talking about gamers mashing F5 during the E3 conference), and the possibilities that kind of technology brings, its not hard to see why its considered so extraordinary.

At the end of the day, its application in 360 software might be less than revolutionary or groundbreaking, but for now, it is really fascinating. I mean, look at the fire the Wii lit. Forget how we as gamers perceive it, instead look at the kind of reach that technology has. It has created the biggest boom in the industry in over a decade. Everyday people (moms and dads and grandmas, lol) will look at that technology and want to try it out. It really is incredible. Will Natal sell the same amount and be as popular? The answer depends a lot on the positioning of the 360 as a system, Microsoft's marketing, and the current state of the console marketplace. BUT, if you show the average person Wii's Motion Plus or Project Natal/Milo RIGHT NOW, I'd be heavily inclined to believe that they would be even more impressed and in even more awe with Natal than the Wii.

And again, when we talk about "Project Natal", we mean the hardware AND the software.

SuperBonk

zoku88 said:
How did controller free get in there?

I wonder if the author knows that quantum teleportation is bounded by the speed of light?

And using computers to grade essays? How does that even sound like something that resembles a good idea?
It seems like the "teleportation" the article is referring to is just quantum entanglement, which has been observed before but with much smaller particles (they say they just teleported an atom whereas previously they could only teleport photons/electrons).

IIRC, quantum entanglement is not limited by the speed of light. However, the observation of the entanglement certainly is limited by it and therefore this doesn't really mean anything. (As you can see, my knowledge of super advanced physics is much more qualitative than quantitative.)

DanteFox

the wiimote should have that spot, if anything.

AwesomeSmileySmall.png

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
D4Danger said:
A revolutionary new way to interact with technology vs a drug that kinda works.

This post is almost as pathetic as putting Natal as #5 on the list

Yes, waving your arms around like an idiot in front of a camera is so much more important than a vaccine for a disease that has yet to see a vaccine or a potential solution to cure blindness or a prosthetic leg that even the most poor will be able to afford in their lifetime.

zoku88

SuperBonk said:
It seems like the "teleportation" the article is referring to is just quantum entanglement, which has been observed before but with much smaller particles (they say they just teleported an atom whereas previously they could only teleport photons/electrons).

IIRC, quantum entanglement is not limited by the speed of light. However, the observation of the entanglement certainly is limited by it and therefore this doesn't really mean anything. (As you can see, my knowledge of super advanced physics is much more qualitative than quantitative.)
No, I'm pretty sure it was talking about using the quantum teleportation algorithm (it mentions quantum information processing, in which teleporation is frequently used.) The algorith, itself, is bounded by the speed of light because in order to actually "send the information", you need to send "classical information" at some point.

Teleportation uses entanglement, but entanglement, generally, doesn't mean transferring the state of one part (I want to qubit, since I'm an EECS person, lol) to another. It's just 'spooky action at a distance' as Einsein put it :p

But you're right about the photon thing. I forgot that the big buz was that it was an atom and not just the distance.

way more

inventions_tank_tuna.jpg

At 8:47 a.m. on March 12, fish history happened in Port Lincoln, Australia. A tankful of southern bluefin tuna — regal, predatory fish prized for their buttery sashimi meat — began to spawn, and they didn't stop for more than a month. "People said, 'It can't be done, it can't be done,'" says Hagen Stehr, founder of Clean Seas, the Australian company that operates the breeding facility. "Now we've done it." Scientists believe the breeding population of the highly migratory southern bluefin has probably plummeted more than 90% since the 1950s. Others have gotten Pacific bluefin to spawn and grow in ocean cages, but by coaxing the notoriously fussy southern bluefin to breed in landlocked tanks, Clean Seas may finally have given the future of bluefin aquaculture legs. (Or at least a tail.)

Oh great. Another thing for people to ask while they order sushi and pretend like they can taste the difference.

:lol At Gaming side gaffers in here.

Zyzyxxz

mac said:
inventions_tank_tuna.jpg

Oh great. Another thing for people to ask while they order sushi and pretend like they can taste the difference.

:lol At Gaming side gaffers in here.

well there is a difference between farmed salmon and wild caught.

Wild caught can vary in quality very much but when its good its very good while farmed salmon has a very consistent quality.

Either way I'm all for it if it tastes decent and brings down the prices of sushi grade tuna so I can get some of that beautiful tuna belly.

GSG Flash said:
This post is almost as pathetic as putting Natal as #5 on the list

Yes, waving your arms around like an idiot in front of a camera is so much more important than a vaccine for a disease that has yet to see a vaccine...
Your over simplification is almost as retarded as his.

way more

Zyzyxxz said:
well there is a difference between farmed salmon and wild caught.

Wild caught can vary in quality very much but when its good its very good while farmed salmon has a very consistent quality.

Either way I'm all for it if it tastes decent and brings down the prices of sushi grade tuna so I can get some of that beautiful tuna belly.

Wouldn't you say farm raised salmon does that? After all it does taste decent.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Vast Inspiration said:
Either its bitterness, or gamers have an intense inferiority complex about technology in their medium.

I doubt any singular part about the Natal project is new or remarkable. But when people saw Milo (and I'm not just talking about gamers mashing F5 during the E3 conference), and the possibilities that kind of technology brings, its not hard to see why its considered so extraordinary.

At the end of the day, its application in 360 software might be less than revolutionary or groundbreaking, but for now, it is really fascinating. I mean, look at the fire the Wii lit. Forget how we as gamers perceive it, instead look at the kind of reach that technology has. It has created the biggest boom in the industry in over a decade. Everyday people (moms and dads and grandmas, lol) will look at that technology and want to try it out. It really is incredible. Will Natal sell the same amount and be as popular? The answer depends a lot on the positioning of the 360 as a system, Microsoft's marketing, and the current state of the console marketplace. BUT, if you show the average person Wii's Motion Plus or Project Natal/Milo RIGHT NOW, I'd be heavily inclined to believe that they would be even more impressed and in even more awe with Natal than the Wii.

And again, when we talk about "Project Natal", we mean the hardware AND the software.
And what does that have to do with Natal being number five in the top 50 inventions of 2009 when the only reason WHY it's on this list is because you'll be able to play games without a controller and I quote from this article: "It's that simple. And that cool." What we're arguing here is the placement Natal received on this list when there are other inventions that are worthy of more attention. Topping a vaccine for AIDS or topping the electric eye that helps regain eyesight for blind people...really? I know arguing about lists is pretty silly, but when there's a submission that is plain out wrong you just can't help but to point it out.

SmokyDave

Natal > The AIDS vaccine?

Really?

I think it is fair to say that all of the video game technology of all time is less important than a vaccine for AIDS. Is there anything in Natal / Wiimote / PSEyeWand that wasn't already in use in some capacity in other industries?

SuperBonk

zoku88 said:
No, I'm pretty sure it was talking about using the quantum teleportation algorithm (it mentions quantum information processing, in which teleporation is frequently used.) The algorith, itself, is bounded by the speed of light because in order to actually "send the information", you need to send "classical information" at some point.

Teleportation uses entanglement, but entanglement, generally, doesn't mean transferring the state of one part (I want to qubit, since I'm an EECS person, lol) to another. It's just 'spooky action at a distance' as Einsein put it :p

But you're right about the photon thing. I forgot that the big buz was that it was an atom and not just the distance.
Ah, thanks. My mistake then.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
is it even an invention if they showed a controlled concept? If its not out until 2010? How finished does it have to be to be an invention?

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
Oh and Scientists now think the Thai HIV vaccine was just a statistical error and provides no extra benefit what so ever.

so yeah :(

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
mrklaw said:
:)

maybe thats how they do transporters in Star Trek. They clone you then kill the original
I believe in ST this sort of replication psudeo-transporting was the precursor to actual transporters.

Natal should be #1, asking questions to virtual boys and hit ball by waving you arm...Maybe even wash windows like in eyetoy, how much more awesome and important can it be ?

guys guys!!! seriously, natal is on that list due to MS moneyhats, I am sure time magazine got a bunch of dollars from MS to include natal to be on that list, there is no other answer.

natal over computer eye, HIV vaccine and not to mention teleportation? :lol :lol

moneyhats been visiting time thats for sure

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I actually read that issue, the list is kinda all over the place to be honest. and I wouldn't even call many of the stuff on the list actual 'inventions'

Grant DaNasty

Neo Member
Natal in and of itself isn't a great invention. It needs great software to make use of it, and I'm not sure if that software can exist.

What we've learned from the Wii is that substituting motion gestures for button presses only provides passing novelty. Motion gestures really only work when they accomplish something that can't be accomplished simply by pressing a button.

XiaNaphryz

freethought said:
Wow, Microsoft must have the single greatest PR department in history.
They learned from Nintendo about the importance of mainstream coverage if you want the public to buy-in on something. They have to deliver in the end, of course.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Vast Inspiration said:
Your over simplification is almost as retarded as his.

Maybe it is over simplification, but I honestly can't see Natal being much more than waving your arms like an idiot in front of a camera. I doubt we'll be seeing any of that Milo bullshit, like it was done in the trailer, within the next 5 years.

robertsan21 said:
guys guys!!! seriously, natal is on that list due to MS moneyhats, I am sure time magazine got a bunch of dollars from MS to include natal to be on that list, there is no other answer.

natal over computer eye, HIV vaccine and not to mention teleportation? :lol :lol

moneyhats been visiting time thats for sure

I don't know if you're serious or not, but I think you may be right. Remember this?

cover.jpg

Time obviously has some history with MS and the 360.

This is fucked up.

I've been making the sky king since I was in public school. I even won for longest flight time :(

Literally, the sky king was my exact design (the nose of my design was slightly stubbier). Well, my Dad showed me how to make it but I still remember how, to this day.

Zyzyxxz

mac said:
Wouldn't you say farm raised salmon does that? After all it does taste decent.

I didnt say it was bad and while it does make salmon more sustainable, salmon farms at least some produce fish that have grey meat and need orange added to them to make them "sellable". That makes me wonder if the quality difference is big enough for me to notice.

I haven't eaten wild salmon to really know if that is a bad thing but I know I love the taste of fresh salmon sashimi and if they can match the taste its good enough for me.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Natal that high?? really?? better then HIV Vaccine, electric eye? (teleportation should be first but I think its been done before) ok

Its not even a 09 invention since the exact tech has been out there for a while and people have used it already though not maintream yet and yes even for gaming. Not to mention the lesser technological eyetoy and PSeye do exactly what their description's reason for being on the list.

D4Danger said:
A revolutionary new way to interact with technology
Oh my someone is clearly clueless about the history of this tech...

XiaNaphryz

MrOctober said:
The fucking no punt offense is awesome right after last Sunday's Patriots game.
At this point Pats fans would trade it down to the 5 Worst list with the dog snuggie instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom