• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time to fully complete Dying Light 2 = 500 hours

Very much doubt this but at least there will be "content". My guess is all the different branches in the story ( is that even still in the game?) equates to 500 hours if you wanna see them all.

E23ofcG.jpg

ToTTenTranz

Banned
With the current trend of excessive padding in videogames that overstay their welcome, I don't see this as a positive at all.
I probably put less than 100 hours on Dying Light + The Following co-oped with a friend, and that's probably the maximum amount I'm willing to spend in a game like this.

Last edited:

BigBooper

Don't believe that at all, but also even arguably the best game for good story and side quests, Witcher 3, took at most 200 hours with all dlc and hunting treasures and everything. No way a zombie game could be interesting for that long.

Stuart360

I very much doubt this, unless some side content is locked behind timed stuff or something.

Assassins Creed Odyssey is a genuine 200-300 hour game if you do everything and all the expansions, and i doubt this game will come close to that game.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Lmao no

It's gonna be "500 hours" of either procedurally generated or very basically scripted "missions" and finding collectibles, there's not gonna be 500 hours of actually well thought-out content. That or it's a 25 hour game with 20 possible combinations of routes to play through. Shit, some people manage to play 100 hour games for 1000 and I have no idea how.

I really loved the first game and really want 2 to be good, but I'm going in with hard reservations. Between that initial demo video that promised the world and was never, ever going to be able to deliver it, and the ongoing stories of dev hell and delays, it's the most volatile release of the year for me. Could be a shock hit, could be a trainwreck. Very curious which.

Warablo

They probably mean completing the game again but choosing one different thing on each quest each time on repeat. That's at least they were hyping up in early previews of the game about having choice and how each persons playthrough/world would turn out different.

Last edited:

ultrazilla

Man haters gonna hate. I loved every single second of Dying Light and Techland has to this day been supporting it in first class fashion. I mean, the DL2 has been in development for *years*, surely their dev tools and ideas probably came together a lot better(all games have dev issues I get that).

It's a game a regularly go back to and play quite a bit in my back log and it's always a fun, unique experience. Love the retro-synth 80s throwback musical score, the atmosphere of the game. IMO a very underrated game that deserves all the love it gets.

Eagerly hoping they'll pull if off with DL2. :messenger_heart:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
They had 7 years and them Polish are crazy fuckers.
Massive doubt, time spent doesn't mean anything, actual content development is linear, so unless they are heavily reusing content combined with unique quest design, most of it is going to be copy pasted repetitive content.

Assassins Creed Odyssey is a genuine 200-300 hour game if you do everything and all the expansions, and i doubt this game will come close to that game.
I finished every imporant thing in odyssey in about 120 hours, most of the side quests, all legendary creatures, all expansions, all order of ancients and hidden blade ancients. All I had left were some fetch quests and collectibles, which I doubt would push me to 300 hours.

I'm at ~120 hours in valhalla atm, and the only things I haven't done are getting "the truth", a few more legendary animals, some tattoo designs, some lost drengrs and the siege of paris expansion; I doubt Odyssey has more "content" than valhalla, so 300 hours sounds pretty insane imo.

Stuart360

Massive doubt, time spent doesn't mean anything, actual content development is linear, so unless they are heavily reusing content combined with unique quest design, most of it is going to be copy pasted repetitive content.

I finished every imporant thing in odyssey in about 120 hours, most of the side quests, all legendary creatures, all expansions, all order of ancients and hidden blade ancients. All I had left were some fetch quests and collectibles, which I doubt would push me to 300 hours.

I'm at ~120 hours in valhalla atm, and the only things I haven't done are getting "the truth", a few more legendary animals, some tattoo designs, some lost drengrs and the siege of paris expansion; I doubt Odyssey has more "content" than valhalla, so 300 hours sounds pretty insane imo.
Well after completing both, Odyssey is way longer than Valhalla. My second run of Odyssey, where i did everything (literally everything) and all the expansions, it took 246 hours for me. And it has been discussed on this forum before and plenty of people have taken over 200 hours with Odyssey.
But obviously everyone is different, with differet play styles.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

V4skunk

Banned
I very much doubt this, unless some side content is locked behind timed stuff or something.

The first Dying Light has more unique content than any Assassins Creed game.
Shit! The network test of Elden Ring that was like 1/20th of the entire world already has more content than all of AC Valhalla.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa
Somehow it rubs me the wrong way. 500 HOURS WOW. like… I’m only gonna play a game that long if I really really really really really really like it. I couldn’t care less how long a developer intends me to play.

TexMex

Zero chance. Clearly anchored by a technicality for some meaningless statistic in the game (KILL TEN MILLION ZOMBIEZZZZ)

DonJorginho

Banned
Yeah this has sealed the cancellation of my pre-order.

Shoddy marketing, horror stories behind the scenes, delay mayhem and now highlighting the fact your game is excessively padded? I'm okay thank you.

I hope the game is great for those buying on day one but I'm not hopeful.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
The first Dying Light has more unique content than any Assassins Creed game.
Shit! The network test of Elden Ring that was like 1/20th of the entire world already has more content than all of AC Valhalla.
Doubt, every world event in valhalla is completely unique and there's tons of them.

ZoukGalaxy

Yeah sure jan.gif

500 hours of FEDEX quests and randomly meaningless generated tasks "do this, do that"... and for what ? Fill a XX/XX billboard and stupid achievements for nothing.

I don't believe you at all devs.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
If only they had invested some of those content man-hours into graphics quality and performance optimization instead...

Zannegan

As I recall, this is the game with a lot of choice-based narrative stuff, and it has been in dev for a long time. I wouldn't be shocked if it would take that long to see everything between multiple playthroughs and whatnot.

Man haters gonna hate. I loved every single second of Dying Light and Techland has to this day been supporting it in first class fashion. I mean, the DL2 has been in development for *years*, surely their dev tools and ideas probably came together a lot better(all games have dev issues I get that).

It's a game a regularly go back to and play quite a bit in my back log and it's always a fun, unique experience. Love the retro-synth 80s throwback musical score, the atmosphere of the game. IMO a very underrated game that deserves all the love it gets.

Eagerly hoping they'll pull if off with DL2. :messenger_heart:

I really hope they've kept the 80s synth tunes

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
They updated to clarify their estimate. I get it, they want people to know that they haven't dialed back the content, but I can't imagine the amount of repetitive content there is to arrive at that number.

bender

What time is it?

Dark Angel: Vampire Apocalypse​

It promises 400 hours of gameplay, but will anyone play it for that long? We highly doubt it.​

cormack12

Gold Member
They updated to clarify their estimate. I get it, they want people to know that they haven't dialed back the content, but I can't imagine the amount of repetitive content there is to arrive at that number.
They realised when most of the replies were like wtf?! Who is gonna spend 500 hours doing this.

500 hours man. Who even thinks these are 'selling points'?

Time to 100% is such a meaningless statistic. Time sinks are incredibly easy to implement. If they're not fun, it's pointless.

Top Bottom