• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Times when you noticed things were about to utterly change.

Tschumi

I don't mean for this thread to be a place for people to reflect on life shatteringly negative moments. If you want to share that's fine, but I'd don't feel it would be right to ask people to revisit traumatic experiences.

A few months ago my older brother had the first kid of our generation of the family, when the news came in that his wife was in labour I knew that soon a life which, to date, had been one way, would soon become another forever more.

Getting down on one knee to prose to bae was another such moment.

The day before Fear Inoculum came out, the world was a world in which Tool had not released new music (okay not strictly true) for nearly a decade, when I first started listening through it I knew that this huge part of my xties was about to cease being a factor.

Before i committed this crime I thought beautiful things existed in this world.

Earlier today I had a less amazing instance, I was just getting on my bike for a long ride and realised that I had done it before, in the same place, not long ago.

Any such moments of:

Bill And Ted Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:

Skyfox

Yeah, had one yesterday at work unfortunately. The last good dude in our department quit taking what little remained of our existing line of work with him.

I have avenues for the future but it's going to damage my career pretty badly. It's a long story but I'd have preferred literally anyone else in the company to have quit than him.

2 years ago when I lost my job.

Applying for new jobs. Perfect fit in applications and interviews, but when you are nearly 50 (which I am now) you realise it's no country for old (white) men.

Post BLM I don't expect to land a decent salary like I used to earn in the future. Rest of my working life is going to be spent atoning for a few hundred rich fuckers who owned slaves 200-300 years ago.

A girl at work was flirting with me one time, said we should hang out. I was like, yeah that would be great and kind of left it alone. Then she asked again and said she wants to come over tomorrow. Then asked if she can use my shower when she gets there since she'd be coming straight from work.

At that moment, I had a hunch that things were going to change for me in the near future.

Tschumi

A girl at work was flirting with me one time, said we should hang out. I was like, yeah that would be great and kind of left it alone. Then she asked again and said she wants to come over tomorrow. Then asked if she can use my shower when she gets there since she'd be coming straight from work.

At that moment, I had a hunch that things were going to change for me in the near future.
Willy Wonka Reaction GIF

Kev Kev

When my Dad called a random meeting with me and my brother in the middle of the day in the middle of his work week (happened about 3 months ago). I knew it was either something really good like he won the lottery or something really bad like my parents were getting a divorce. It was the latter, unfortunately.

He was cheating on my Mom and he wants to get divorced but he wants to keep the house and everything they have both worked so hard for. They were just building an in ground pool too, which my Mom has always said she wanted since she was a kid. And he’s just ripped the rug out from under her…

Since then my Dad has gone off the deep end. He’s like this whole other person I never knew. I feel like he doesn’t want to be a part of this family and he never did. And it oddly all feels like I kind of knew this my whole life. I remember catching eyes with him at random family gatherings and parties, and he had this look on his face like he was about to disappear forever. I never thought too much about it, but in retrospect it’s like I could see the future.

My Mom is just devastated. My Brother hates him, I’m trying to stay neutral, but our family is dead either way, and everything in my life has changed.

And I could sense it coming that afternoon, and in a way I saw it coming my whole life. I guess I just never thought he’d pull the trigger… but here we are…

Nothing is sacred

😞

Tschumi

When my Dad called a random meeting with me and my brother in the middle of the day in the middle of his work week (happened about 3 months ago). I knew it was either something really good like he won the lottery or something really bad like my parents were getting a divorce. It was the latter, unfortunately.

He was cheating on my Mom and he wants to get divorced but he wants to keep the house and everything they have both worked so hard for. They were just building an in ground pool too, which my Mom has always said she wanted since she was a kid. And he’s just ripped the rug out from under her…

Since then my Dad has gone off the deep end. He’s like this whole other person I never knew. I feel like he doesn’t want to be a part of this family and he never did. And it oddly all feels like I kind of knew this my whole life. I remember catching eyes with him at random family gatherings and parties, and he had this look on his face like he was about to disappear forever. I never thought too much about it, but in retrospect it’s like I could see the future.

My Mom is just devastated. My Brother hates him, I’m trying to stay neutral, but our family is dead either way, and everything in my life has changed.

And I could sense it coming that afternoon, and in a way I saw it coming my whole life. I guess I just never thought he’d pull the trigger… but here we are…

Nothing is sacred

😞
That's colossal, i don't think one statement of mine can do anything, i only hope I can be part of a collective solace to be found here... Solidarity <3

Ionian

When I heard Faith No More reunited.

When Frusciante quit the Chili Peppers only to rejoin (twice).

Probably my biggest was when the missus I was seeing was leaving for work one morning and half asleep/awake in bed (I dream weird), she kissed me goodbye I sleepily asked her to tell me that she loved me. (We were a new couple).

She did and left. I bolted up in bed after she had gone (door closing noise) and I had realized what had happened. Sounds stupid but I couldn't believe it. I wasn't sure if it was a dream. I was on cloud 9. Changed the next decade+ for me. Got my first "I love you" (from her) by accident. I wasn't sure it was even real.

It was.

JBat

Nothing is sacred

😞
Dang, that sounds a lot like my own story.
Sorry, sob story incoming. I was 18. Can't remember way I was out but pretty sure it was something fun and I get home kind of late and my grandparents are at our house with my mom whose crying. They found out my dad was cheating and broke the news to her. Good mood instantly gone and replaced with anger, sadness, and knowing things aren't the same as they were 10 minutes ago.
He was gone a lot and the excuse was always work and I trusted that and kind of looked up to him for it. We weren't all that well off but comfortable so I saw it as him sacrificing to provide and all that. Later find out he was pretty much partying. And looking back I can see a lot of the things you noticed. When he was home he always seemed like he would rather be anywhere else. he would leave birthdays or holidays early to "get back to work" and I took that at face value. Now I know he was choosing someone and something over us.
That was like 16 years ago and I'm still resentful. Not sure if I'll ever let it go.
He died last June from cancer. I'll give it to him, he tried really hard to make amends and apologize to everyone he hurt but like I said, I'm not sure I'll ever be able to let it do.

Not trying to be a therapist but from my experience you do get less angry and things find a new normal. Just keep moving forward and be a better man than him.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I guess every generation of gaming striving for better graphics, while carrying on the previous generations heritage.

Vagswarm

Nothing is sacred

😞
Wow, that's awful. Sorry to hear you're going through all that. Hope things turn around for you guys.

Vagswarm

I don't mean for this thread to be a place for people to reflect on life shatteringly negative moments
Well damn, that's about all I've had. Things could've definitely been even worse... I stayed in bad situations much longer than I should have, but could've stayed even longer and got fully wrapped up in them. I think that's when you realize that's not who you are or meant to be. Came very close to marrying what I know is a sociopath a few years ago. Got all tangled up in the mess of affairs and chaos. That was unlike anything I've ever experienced. Turn every emotion up to 99 and pull your heartstrings in every direction. That was right after getting tangled up in narcissists & sociopaths for the longest time (mostly as friends, but some girlfriends as well). Definitely drained the sh*t out of me and still feeling the effects for sure. But I also gained a ton of knowledge about things pertaining to life and people. I wasn't taught any life skills at all and had to learn the brutal way. For a long time I thought everyone else was crazy, but looking deeper I am pretty sure it runs in some of the family. Familiarity was the main cause for sure.

One of the most positive moments was doing extremely well in IT for college last year. I did horrible in Machine Tool, which was the first college program I enrolled in. As I was thinking of what else to do, I looked into web development since that's what I did for fun during the 90s when the internet first exploded. (Made a few fansites for games I was playing at the time.) Was surprised how much of it stayed the same, but also how streamlined and intuitive it has become... it used to be a clustermess of table-based design with code all over the place... now they separated it with CSS and expanded on the styling options big time. So I took an online course and it was actually pretty fun and not overly difficult. Decided to pick it up in the local technical college and aced every course, including the secondary ones. Made it to the Dean's List in the first semester and pretty sure it was the same for the second as well (haven't gotten the mail yet, but it's only been a couple weeks).

Now for the first time I have some direction on where to go in life in terms of a career. Was working dead-end jobs for the longest time, which didn't attract the best people either. Really over the past couple of years it's been focusing on the positives in terms of developing a stronger sense of self, having standards, telling unruly people to F off (I really don't like bullies or manipulators and they have a keen eye for that and avoid me or disengage quickly, lol), focusing on college and a career, and working on more positive traits within myself (I wasn't the best person either and got caught up in the cliquey lifestyle).

Wish I could get at least 10 years back, but it is what it is. That's also motivation to push forward harder and not make the same mistakes again: it can cost you a lot of time and energy that you won't get back.

Last edited:

GeekyDad

With Covid, it became quite apparent that we were moving into the Matrix stage of things. Movie theaters closing down, giving complete dominance to Netlix-type entertainment, retail stores focusing more on online, competing more directly with Amazon; restaurant focused on delivery. Just more of a cubical-like lifestyle.

Mohonky

Remember being woken by knocking at the door at 2am as a teenager. Answered it to find 2 cops standing there. I knew immediately why they were there and knew what it would do to my mother; her twin sister had killed herself and they needed someone to identify the body. My father went to identify her and 25 years later my mother still isnt the same person as she was before that night.

Also watching 9/11 unfold on TV. That was a 'things are gonna be different' moment for things like travelling.

Star-Lord

I had an opportunity to stop a very close female friend of mine moving to Australia. We’d known each other for years through her brother, and feelings had developed over time that were more than friendly. But by the time we actually had a chance to open up about these feelings, she’d made plans to move abroad. I only found out after she’d gone when she emailed me, saying that if I’d opened up and asked her to stay, she would’ve. I still think about it to this day, and how different life would be for the both of us.

Ownage

2 years ago when I lost my job.

Applying for new jobs. Perfect fit in applications and interviews, but when you are nearly 50 (which I am now) you realise it's no country for old (white) men.

Post BLM I don't expect to land a decent salary like I used to earn in the future. Rest of my working life is going to be spent atoning for a few hundred rich fuckers who owned slaves 200-300 years ago.
Pro-tip: dumb your resume down and drop 10 years off your experience. Color your hair darker, and if you're overweight, lose some weight. Don't use your legal name but a nickname that sounds more youthful.

No comment on politics. This is simply to help you get some traction on interviews.

I'm optimistic about the future every day I wake up, I mean - we now have these magnets that make things fly in the air locked in place all because of material science - and those magnets are about to get so much more powerful that according to Computer Science they will be able to do this infinitely with massive amounts of weight. You can already buy furniture that floats in the air, toys, speakers, beds, coffee tables, chairs but soon it will be everything. Cars, shoes, clothing, these magnets will be mixed into the foundation of houses roads, walls in buildings, and people will literally fly from destination to destination. And likely one something strangely obtuse like a giant magnetic cushion or fluffy chair.

And that's just one example of things flying in the air using nominal energy, we also now have demonstrations of lasers doing it with small particles
to make holographic imagery. Most impressively, moving it through the air with extreme precision and speed which means this will scale to human sized
particles eventually.

And the Euler's Disc proves how close we are to solving perpetual motion with Material Sciences. In fact many videos now exist on YouTube showing perpetual state machine slow motion apparatuses
actually working. The next version of this coming out within 6 years to a decade, through Material Science Breakthroughs - is supposed to teeter on the edge of the wobbly wibbles for nearly 2 hours
until it stops.

And then theirs Ameca, which has something impressive to say about everything. I find most impressive, Ameca's natural propensity to exist and interact so fluidly while now answering
question's in a meaningful way and showing off her devilish charm.

IMO, this is mere steps away from being smarter than every person in existence - and this isn't even an A.S.I. level Robot.

And then we have XenoBots 2.0, Fully Autonomous Self Replicating Nanotechnology already defying all Laws of Physics, Self Replicating, and Moving Autonomously.

I now wake up Every Day... Every day... excited and wondering what new amazing thing I'll get to see next!! So yes a lot of optimism here!!

Also, for decades - this type of Free Energy - And I'll say it Again, this type of Free Energy, The Small Electric Water Turbine - was considered a True Computer Science Miracle because
you just couldn't get efficient reliable clean energy using a device like this on a small portable Water Turbine!! Now you can get plenty of energy this way, so I'm
extremely optimistic about Free Energy!!

Free Energy for the home is something that will be solved rather soon and will certainely change the landscape in the years ahead!!

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
The day before Fear Inoculum came out, the world was a world in which Tool had not released new music (okay not strictly true) for nearly a decade, when I first started listening through it I knew that this huge part of my xties was about to cease being a factor.
Tool's music also changed my life in profound ways.
AkRvNpe.png

nush

Gold Member
I was staying at a mates house when I was 15 and it was the weekend that his parents were having a very mature and serious middle class house party for their friends. Boring as fuck and in hindsight I realized I was only invited to keep their son busy and out the way so they did not have to deal with him. "Look, just fuck off to his bedroom and play Super Nintendo all evening" deal.

Except my mate came up with the genius idea of sneaking down to the living room and stealing some cans of beer for us.

Yeah, good times, lets do it again.

Top Bottom