• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tiny a** subtitles in games - anyone else hate this?

Tmac

For the non native english speakers out there... anyone else hate this?

Every single game have really tiny and distracting subtitles - barely readable, and without font size option. Compared to moviews dvds/blu-rays the font size is usually around 50% of those.

Don't know if this is much of a problem for native english speakers for obvious reasons.

amigastar

What games do you mean, specifically?
I don't play on TV so i don't have that problem.

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

I have to say, the fact you could adjust the subtitle sizes in Death Stranding is super welcoming. More games should add those options.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Yes. It's bullshit. A lot of devs make games that are only barely suitable for sitting at a desk 6 inches from a 40 inch monitor.

ShadowNate

It's not just subtitles. A lot of smaller studios release games that have an UI heavy with text but in tiny font with no option to adjust the size. So you get lots of hard to make out (especially from a TV-to-couch distance) stats or text messages and text-only dialogue. I pretty much stopped buying these until they release some update to address this.

Fredrik

Yeah. Now imagine having tinnitus and partially reading lips and not being an expert at english…
I can read well enough but listening to someone speak and having an accent is difficult. Readable subtiles is a must, otherwise they can just skip the story.

bitbydeath

Did you check in the settings OP?

ps5-accessibility-display-28feb22$en

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Nah I'm good

hsdYHV1.jpg

But yeah. Eyesight is going downhill so yes. It's annoying

Last edited:

Esca

I turn them on all the time as a native English speaker and yes there is definitely don't issues in some games.

Flabagast

Recently Vampire Swansong (excellent game otherwise, recommended for everyone that loves deep narratives in their games) is particularly at fault on this front. Subtitles are really really small, I don't know how it has been OKed by QA.

Last edited:
Top Bottom