• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tip a 40 for the Celebrities who died in 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

NastyBook

29 – Gil Hill, Police Commander/Actor – Inspector Todd in three “Beverly Hills Cop” movies – age 84
wtf
17 - Attrel "Prince Be" Cordes, Singer/Songwriter - Main member of PM Dawn, critically acclaimed 90s R&B/genre-defying group - age 46
WTF
23 – Steven Hill, Actor – District Attorney Adam Schiff on “Law & Order” (1990-2000) – age 94
What the fucking FUCK???
24 – Bill Nunn, Actor – Robbie Robertson in Spider-Man film trilogy – age 63
Radio Raheem?

How did I miss all of these? ;_;

R.I.P.

Futureman

Yelchin and Fernandez were very sad.

Most of the others were just old people. Not saying you shouldn't be sad or mourn them, but the constant OMG 2016 SUX, WHEN WILL IT BE OVER is just grating.

I had no idea Janet Reno died.

Me neither. That one was a surprise.

At least I wasn't the only one.

Alan Thicke probably made the saddest. At least Gene Wilder, George Kennedy, and Abe Vigoda lived long lives. Didn't know about Wilder's state until afterwards :\

David Bowie was very surprising, but I think I wasn't feeling well enough at the time for it to really soak in.

Garry Shandling I barely knew. I certainly knew his face, voice, and demeanor but had never really seen anything with him til I watched through the Larry Sanders Show this summer.

Oh yeah, Jose Fernandez. It's sad a 24 year old man is gone. When details of what caused it came out I felt less sorry for him. The men on that boat were putting others at risk... I guess? Who's out on the water in the middle of the night? Whatever, it's a little insensitive going on about it...

A lot of people with illnesses you knew were going to take them eventually such as Summitt, Ali, Sager. Doesn't make it any less sad, the sadness was just drawn out and didn't hit you all at once.

NastyBook

I didn't know Prince Be died. Set Adrift and I'd Die Without You really take me back. :(
I still remember being young as shit and loving this song, but not knowing the lyrics to it. Tried to sing it to my brother and cousin one day, but they were looking at me like I was stupid cuz I was just humming out most of it. Damn good song.

I can't believe Mr Hockey, Bowie, Prince, Ali, and Fidel Castro all gone the same year.

Man 2016 was cruel for celebrity/ public figure deaths.

Lothar

Banned
Yeah glass is half full side of me sees average age of death on that list is 77.6 years old. Not bad all things considered.

The celebrities all of us are probably most familiar with died young in their 60s or earlier. Bowie, Rickman, Prince, Shandling, Thicke, Sager, Chyna.

I still think 2013 and 2014 was harder. Robin Williams, Harold Ramis, Roddy Piper, Dusty Rhodes, Leonard Nimoy, Christopher Lee, Wes Craven, Sam Simon, Phillip Seymour Hoffman from those 2 horrible years.

acksman

Does someone have a list from last year to compare. I wonder if this will increase as we have more well known people that are in our era dying.

I feel like some of these would have been a bigger deal in a different year.

I mean, as iconic as someone like Florence Henderson is, it's hard to remember that in a year where Muhammad Ali, David Bowie and Fidel Castro died.

I didn't know Prince Be died. Set Adrift and I'd Die Without You really take me back. :(

Yep he died in June after a long battle with diabetes. :( His death didn't get much publicity outside of a few music magazines/sites. But he was a musical/lyrical genius. I have a feeling in 20-30 years, there will be classes studying his lyrics.

I was a huge PM Dawn fan and even kept up with their unreleased material in recent years, so his death along with Prince's hit me the hardest. Fortunately Prince for the most part has received his due credit and admiration, but I think Prince Be of PM Dawn just kind of got lost or dismissed as a vestige of '90s R&B/Rap. With each album their music got more critically acclaimed but they lost traction with the mainstream once it became difficult to easily categorize their music.

How you gonna forget my boy Tommy!!! He up in heaven still lying about having a job :(

(October 12, 2016 - Thomas Mikal Ford - Tommy Strawn from 'Martin' - age 52)

Ishan

Cruyff died too .. Wow this years been brutal.... Btw has anyone got a link to anything showing this year has been especially bad or is it just us being more aware due to social media/connectedness

andymcc

Banned
David Bowie was devastating after releasing amazing record and being my all-time favorite recording artist on top of that. There is countless music I would have never been exposed to if not for him.

Then Prince happened.

I know it's hard to crack at those that say "fuck 2016", but a lot of personal bad shit happened too: I got jumped and hospitalized, I was pretty much forced to leave a job that I worked for 8 years due to workplace bullying and bad HR, lost one of my cousins and, just today, while abroad, found out a near and dear friend of mine died on Christmas night.

It's hard to not look at these deaths as signifiers as something bad for me personally.

*tips 40*

Raxus

David Bowie was devastating after releasing amazing record and being my all-time favorite recording artist on top of that. There is countless music I would have never been exposed to if not for him.

Then Prince happened.

I know it's hard to crack at those that say "fuck 2016", but a lot of personal bad shit happened too: I got jumped and hospitalized, I was pretty much forced to leave a job that I worked for 8 years due to workplace bullying and bad HR, lost one of my cousins and, just today, while abroad, found out a near and dear friend of mine died on Christmas night.

It's hard to not look at these deaths as signifiers as something bad for me personally.

*tips 40*

My condolences. I dunno what it is about this year but it does deserve to be in a dumpster fire for your year alone. Hope things turn around in 2017.

Juan Gabriel should be on the list.
He may not have been known much in the US, but he was a big deal when it came to Spanish music.
Some of my fondest childhood memories involve me playing NES games with my brother in the living room while my mom had JG playing in the kitchen while she cooked dinner.

andymcc

Banned
My condolences. I dunno what it is about this year but it does deserve to be in a dumpster fire for your year alone. Hope things turn around in 2017.

Thanks man.

At least a Trump presidency can inspire really good music like in the Reagan-era, right? That's something to look forward to.

The ones that affected me the most was Greg Lake, Keith Emerson, and Bowie. As a massive progressive rock fan, losing the first two really got me. Enjoyed their music so much. Chris Squire dying last year was already hard enough, losing more icons in the prog. world really sucks!

Looking at the ages, at least many of them got to live quite long lives.

Going forward, every year will seem bad for celebrity deaths as the number of people considered famous grows each year. In 50 years it'll make news when a famous Instagram model dies and people will say fuck 2066.

Well those between 70 and 90+ fall into the emerging age of television during the 40's and 50's. They would've started in their prime 20's and had a lifetime to build fame. No one can live forever and many of them died from just getting old. There's some that probably died too soon from personal health issues or accidents, but it's not unreasonable to expect something like that to happen.

Robin Williams was probably the last celebrity to actually impact me. Even as great as Muhammad Ali was to boxing and the world, he had a terrible disease to live with. It was more heartbreaking to see him deal with it than knowing he finally got released from it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom