• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tip a 40 for the Celebrities who died in 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

sphinx

the piano man
Looking at the ages, at least many of them got to live quite long lives.

I was looking at that and damn, it's really depressing.

I turned 39 some days ago and it made me realize I very likely have already lived more than half of my whole life, that is scary, It doesn't feel like I've lived that much and I am far from a couch potato, I've had my fair share of adventures in life and yet, time goes by incredibly fast.

I feel like from the 70th birthday onwards, the human body turns into a ticking bomb.

bjork

I was looking at that and damn, it's really depressing.

I turned 39 some days ago and it made me realize I very likely have already lived more than half of my whole life, that is scary, It doesn't feel like I've lived that much and I am far from a couch potato, I've had my fair share of adventures in life and yet, time goes by incredibly fast.

I feel like from the 70th birthday onwards, the human body turns into a ticking bomb.

My mom died when she was 47. You never know, so you gotta enjoy your time as much as you can.

Monocle

Alan Rickman and Anton Yelchin were tough to hear about. Great fans of them both, especially Rickman.

I was sorry to see Bowie and Prince go too, even though their work has barely brushed my awareness. They were iconic figures.

Yeah, Muhammad Ali and Craig Sager's death messed with me for a bit. Ali was decently old, and it felt like he had lived such an extraordinary life. Alot of the reaction was a celebration for him and his achievments.

Sager's death felt like it was out of nowhere, because I thought he was in the middle of his fight with leukemia, not at a terminal stage. Still feels like there is a gap in the NBA right now, sideline reporters will never be the same

mreddie

I keep hearing this will be the norm as we all age and everything and everyone notable after 1969 and how they affected pop culture will sadly pass.

But fuck, this year seems comical.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
You forgot Pete Burns, singer for Dead or Alive, sung "You Spin Me Round (Like a Record)," who died on October 23.

I don't recall as many big celebrities dying in one year, including plenty of smaller actors, musicians and people that weren't as famous but still well known.

2009 was close, but I think this might top it.

Auctopus

I feel as the figures of pop culture get older, the next decade will be chock full of celebrity obituaries.

Honestly, I think the "please stop 2016" meme will just transfer to the next.

RIP to the progressive and talented artists, musicians, actors, activists and politicians.

Muhammad Ali was the one that hit me the hardest.

He hit a few people quite hard.

I figure there will be a sweet spot, which we're in, where people had a lifetime to get famous, before EVERYONE was famous.

Now-a-days, people get famous for a very short time, but continue to live out their fame on social media, etc. It feels a lot more rare for someone to "get big" and stay big.

I dunno, I guess it feels like there are less and less 'iconic' people getting famous these days, but maybe that's only something you can notice in hindsight.

Cormano

You forgot Rubén Aguirre. He is/was huge and well known in Latin America.

Jun 17, 2016.

rs_1024x759-160617110012-1024-ruben-aguirre.jpg

Biff

Oh Jesus christ. Stop this 2016 meme. Plenty of years were worse.

You are the one who will have to change their mindset on the "Fuck 2016" debate. As I had to.

As social media usage grows, and the generations that grew up on social media age, "Fuck 20XX" will become increasingly prominent. It's the nature of the probability of childhood heroes dying as they themselves get older.

Our parents had deep connections to their childhood heroes as well. Perhaps even deeper connections as there was much less media to consume and therefore the impact of an individual celebrity had a wider reach.

What's different between our parents and us is the ability to vent online. That ability will never decline for the rest of our lives. So you can be on the losing side of the debate, perpetually annoyed by social media venting, or try your best to change your mindset and simply ignore it.

Join me. It's easier this way.

AAK

Don't forget Abdul Sattar Edhi:

pakistantoday6_1445955947.jpg

He was the pioneer of Pakistan's humanitarian efforts all across the the country and beyond to other continents and one of the greatest opponents against Pakistan's historical religious intolerance. He was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize various times as well. He passed away on July 8, 2016.

EDIT: And here's a vice video about his efforts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiMv95Z-bow

hiredhand

Some notable directors we lost in 2016 (missing from the OP):

Jacques Rivette (29 January 2016) - Notable films: Out 1, La belle noiseuse, Celine and Julie Go Boating

Andrzej Zulawski (17 February 2016) - Notable films: Possession, That Most Important Thing: Love, Cosmos

Guy Hamilton (20 April 2016) - Notable films: Goldfinger, Battle of Britain, An Inspector Calls

Abbas Kiarostami (4 July 2016) - Notable films: Taste of Cherry, Certified Copy, Close-Up

Arthur Hiller (17 August 2016) - Notable films: Love Story, The In-Laws, The Out of Towners

Curtis Hanson (20 September 2016) - Notable films: L.A. Confidential, 8 Mile, Wonder Boys

Herschell Gordon Lewis (26 September 2016) - Notable films: Blood Feast, Two Thousand Maniacs!, The Wizard of Gore

Andrzej Wajda (9 October 2016) - Notable films: Ashes & Diamonds, Danton, Man of Marble, Man of Iron

Speevy

Banned
Can we keep Jack Nicholson, Clint Eastwood, Gene Hackman, Al Pacino, Robert DeNiro, Martin Scorsese, Mick Jagger, and Paul Mccartney around for just four more days?

That's all I'm asking, 2016. Four days.

Murkas

So would we 2009 has been dethroned dethroned? I remember that year being pretty heavy, Michael Jackson, David Caradine, Farah Fawcett, Billy Mays, Patrick Swayze off the top of my head.

There was a South Park episode about the whole thing.

2016 was really bad for Iranians too.
Abbas Kiarostami: One of the best Iranian directors. He won Palme d'Or (Cannes Film Festival) in 1997.
Davood Rashidi: One of the greatest Iranian actors.
Mansour Pourheidari: A popular player and manager who won AFC Champions League in 1991 as a manager.
Mehrdad Oladi: He was a famous football player and died at 30.
And today Donya Fannizadeh: She was behind the most popular Iranian TV puppet. She was 49 and died because of cancer... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom