• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titles added to Xbox Game Pass in 2021 were reportedly worth over $6,300

Draugoth

Gold Member

Xbox-Game-Pass-PC-Family_Key-Art-1920x1080.jpg

The value of the titles added to Xbox Game Pass in 2021 reportedly exceeded $6,300.

According to The Loadout’s calculations, new games introduced to the service’s console and PC libraries this year were worth $6,317.35 (about £4,780) in total.

The figure is based on the price of each game on the Microsoft Store.

kingfey

Banned
That's great, but they make Games with Gold and PS+ sound like amazing deals too by saying their value is their MSRP price, whether you'd ever had paid that or not.
Those are great deal too.

This is ff7r price in psn store

I got for free on ps+, which costed me 30$ for 1 year. So the value is very great, considering you are also getting extra 35 games too for that 1 year.

Last edited:

Avian_Grubber

Neo Member
Bruh what how

Google upgrade gold to gamepass loophole (https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....-3-years-xbox-game-pass-ultimate-tip.html/amp) I can’t remember where I read it originally. Basically you can upgrade your WHOLE gold subscription for one single one-off fee (up to 36 months max). I usually buy 1 year gold at a time, but I bought three years to maximise this deal in case they end the loophole. I actually bought gold from Brazil since it was cheaper via cdkeys I think (needs vpn for this part but brings the cost down by 25% at £30 x 3). Then you just click upgrade to game pass ultimate on your Xbox and it’s done. Nothing to pay till 2023 for me now. I’d already used the trial, otherwise it would have been £1 to upgrade instead of £10.99.

Please check that’s all still valid before you try though, I did this a year ago. Technically of course I also paid for gold too, but I’ve been doing that for 12 years, so I’m not counting that sunk cost in my equation :D

it’s like a 77% discount vs buying it monthly, I’m always shocked when anyone doesn’t do this

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Incredible how things change when you add a bit of context to these articles.
It is. How is that wrong?

You are getting the games, by paying 60$ for online mode. Essentially the service is paying itself, and you are saving alot of money.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
bUt Y0u D0Nt AcTtUaLlY OwN thE GaME

WhAt AbOuT GAmErS WhO LivE in SuBMaRiNeS
but you...... dont?

btw, its not like you play every single games on subscription service anyway, and majority of the games would get pulled out from the subscription platform after a certain timeframe, so the "value" is a meh for me.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
but you...... dont?

btw, its not like you play every single games on subscription service anyway, and majority of the games would get pulled out from the subscription platform after a certain timeframe, so the "value" is a meh for me.
Do you play the game?

If so, you are saving money.

In order to play those games, you need to spend money. And these subs saves you money, by giving you freedom to play as many games as you can, without buying them.

Its like going to a library. You can read as much books as you can. But if you wan to keep them all, you have to pay for them.

In a sense, these subs acts like a library to you.

If you dont like it, you can spend $6K buying those games.

fyi: 1 year gamepass is 180$. It will take you 35 years worth of gamepass to buy all these games. You do the math.

People have been telling me that I'm not getting a great deal. :)

People using the "do you play the game" excuse as a reason to claim there's no added value are obviously wrong, because the mere ability, as it suits your fancy, to just up and play anything you want without spending an extra dime is the whole point of a service such as Game Pass with as wide an offering as it has.

Last edited:

lh032

Do you play the game?

If so, you are saving money.

In order to play those games, you need to spend money. And these subs saves you money, by giving you freedom to play as many games as you can, without buying them.

Its like going to a library. You can read as much books as you can. But if you wan to keep them all, you have to pay for them.

In a sense, these subs acts like a library to you.

If you dont like it, you can spend $6K buying those games.

fyi: 1 year gamepass is 180$. It will take you 35 years worth of gamepass to buy all these games. You do the math.
Sure, the above would apply if you spend almost the whole day, 7 days per week just playing games.
But in reality, it does not work like that, unless you don't work at all.

Subscription games don't stay forever, which is one of the reason I don't like subscription service, I don't like to be bound to a certain time frame to finish a game.

I don't spend "6k" to buy games, I actually do some research before buying a game, and most importantly, I still own the game and the disc still working : )

sircaw

Banned

Xbox-Game-Pass-PC-Family_Key-Art-1920x1080.jpg

The value of the titles added to Xbox Game Pass in 2021 reportedly exceeded $6,300.

According to The Loadout’s calculations, new games introduced to the service’s console and PC libraries this year were worth $6,317.35 (about £4,780) in total.

The figure is based on the price of each game on the Microsoft Store.
you think this is a good deal, you should try your public library. "lollipop_disappointed:

reinking

Gold Member
Google upgrade gold to gamepass loophole (https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....-3-years-xbox-game-pass-ultimate-tip.html/amp) I can’t remember where I read it originally. Basically you can upgrade your WHOLE gold subscription for one single one-off fee (up to 36 months max). I usually buy 1 year gold at a time, but I bought three years to maximise this deal in case they end the loophole. I actually bought gold from Brazil since it was cheaper via cdkeys I think (needs vpn for this part but brings the cost down by 25% at £30 x 3). Then you just click upgrade to game pass ultimate on your Xbox and it’s done. Nothing to pay till 2023 for me now. I’d already used the trial, otherwise it would have been £1 to upgrade instead of £10.99.

Please check that’s all still valid before you try though, I did this a year ago. Technically of course I also paid for gold too, but I’ve been doing that for 12 years, so I’m not counting that sunk cost in my equation :D

it’s like a 77% discount vs buying it monthly, I’m always shocked when anyone doesn’t do this
So you got 3 years of gold for $10? Or are you one of those people that forget to add the cost of Gold into the equation?

I'm not knocking the deal, I did the three years loophole too, but I don't count it as paying $14 for GPU. Total cost for me was around $150 if I remember right.

MOTM

Banned
So that means netflix has given me billions of dollars this year? I’m rich :messenger_open_mouth:

but you...... dont?

Still buying CD’s I guess? There’s a thing called Spotify nowadays. You know, you pay 10 quid a month and you can play almost any music you want.

Sounds impressive hey?

lh032

Still buying CD’s I guess? There’s a thing called Spotify nowadays. You know, you pay 10 quid a month and you can play almost any music you want.

Sounds impressive hey?
musics are different, i do subscribe to spotify.
nothing wrong with collecting game disc. they "last longer" in terms of ownership than subscription services, even digitals.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I am not getting the value of it anymore. If I hadn't purchased Halo Infinite, maybe, but since I did, the subscription is almost worthless to me atm.

kingfey

Banned
Sure, the above would apply if you spend almost the whole day, 7 days per week just playing games.
But in reality, it does not work like that, unless you don't work at all.
Games arent 40 hours gameplay. 1 hour a day everyday is 30 hours. Enough to finish 2-5 games.

Subscription games don't stay forever, which is one of the reason I don't like subscription service, I don't like to be bound to a certain time frame to finish a game.
That is what makes this service great. If games don't leave the service, you wont play them that much. But if they are leaving, you are forced to play, which increases your chances of actually finishing the game.

I don't spend "6k" to buy games, I actually do some research before buying a game, and most importantly, I still own the game and the disc still working : )
Sadly general people dont have this mentality. They are driven by hype. Ready to spend 60$-70$ on pre-orders, then complain about the shit quality they get.

Every game is a risk if you are buying it. What you saw, doesn't translate to how you feel about the game. I bought alot of games from watching youtube, then to end up not playing them at all, thus wasting my money.

I have 607 digital games on epic/steam/xbox/playstation. Half of those are giveaways, free games, sub free games, and the rest i bought them on sales. 150 games at 15$ average is $2250 for me. I stopped buying games this year. So my game count is low. Still, $2250 is alot of money on games. That is 12 and half gamepass year price. Which I could have saved.

bender

What time is it?
but you...... dont?

I think that's the best part of Game Pass actually. There are tons of games I'd like to try but wouldn't buy or at least not purchase until they hit deep discount. Most of those games I have passing interest in end up on Game Pass and a lot of the day and date. Just thinking back on this year:

-It Takes Two
-Aliens: Fireteam Elite
-Outriders
-Aragami 2
-Psychonauts 2 (I'll probably buy this eventually)
-Back 4 Blood
-Dark Alliance
-Gears of War 5
-The Ascent
-12 Minutes
-Art of Rally
-Deep Rock Galactic
-Zombie Army 4: Dead War
-MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries
-Second Extinction
-Golf With Friends
-Code Vein
-A Way Out
-Torchlight III
-World War Z
-Lonely Mountains: Downhill
-Monster Train
-The Medium

It's like the ultimate demo service except I finished a lot of those games. Outside of Psychonauts 2 and maybe Golf with Friends, I probably would have regretted the purchase as I'll never go back to any of them so owning them or them falling off the service isn't a concern.

And if you are willing to spend `~5 minutes a day with Microsoft rewards and Game Pass quests, you can earn enough points to pay for GPU.

jakinov

that's not that interesting of a stat, you won't play most of it, and a lot of games are old which means you can get them heavily discounted through the year. The value you get out of it greatly depends on the inidividual. This is like one of those coupon books they sell that tell you that you get XXX in value when you most likely won't touch most coupons.

lh032

Games arent 40 hours gameplay. 1 hour a day everyday is 30 hours. Enough to finish 2-5 games.

That is what makes this service great. If games don't leave the service, you wont play them that much. But if they are leaving, you are forced to play, which increases your chances of actually finishing the game.
that doesn't seem like fun for me.

Avian_Grubber

Neo Member
So you got 3 years of gold for $10? Or are you one of those people that forget to add the cost of Gold into the equation?

I'm not knocking the deal, I did the three years loophole too, but I don't count it as paying $14 for GPU. Total cost for me was around $150 if I remember right.
You’re right in a way, to take advantage of the deal I had to pay out for 3 years of gold (which I’ve done anyway for the past 10+ years).

It might be fairer to say I got the equivalent of 3 years of gamepass (non-ultimate which goes for 9.99 per month without Xbox live access) - for one payment of 10.99, since I guess I’d already paid for the gold anyway. Except of course you get the benefits of ultimate with the upgrade deal anyway. Basically it’s ridiculous value and I can’t believe it’s not been fixed yet. Even at full price I’d still happily buy it

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
that doesn't seem like fun for me.
I mean you buy games to play them. If you have alot of games, you will toss it around, and forget about it. I dont remember most of my game purchases. Because its hard to keep track of all the games that i bought.

I still havent finished the police station for re2. Never played GOT since I bought it. Too much games, will overwhelm you.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Game Pass has been an incredible value for money.

I got 3 years using the cheap CDKeys options. The games I've played via GP since last year have already made up for what I spent tenfold and then some.

As a gamer, I don't really care about whatever deals MS makes and how viable it is for developers, I just really appreciate all the games I get to play via this service. Including all the day 1 MS published games (and the occasional third party day 1 like Back 4 Blood or Outriders).

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
and what about the titles that were removed?

This is called a one sided argument...

What about them ? They remove old titles, and add new ones. That's pretty much how most subscription services work.

At the very least you are given the option to buy the titles before they leave with a 20% discount if you want to.

Last edited:
I think that's the best part of Game Pass actually. There are tons of games I'd like to try but wouldn't buy or at least not purchase until they hit deep discount. Most of those games I have passing interest in end up on Game Pass and a lot of the day and date. Just thinking back on this year:

-It Takes Two
-Aliens: Fireteam Elite
-Outriders
-Aragami 2
-Psychonauts 2 (I'll probably buy this eventually)
-Back 4 Blood
-Dark Alliance
-Gears of War 5
-The Ascent
-12 Minutes
-Art of Rally
-Deep Rock Galactic
-Zombie Army 4: Dead War
-MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries
-Second Extinction
-Golf With Friends
-Code Vein
-A Way Out
-Torchlight III
-World War Z
-Lonely Mountains: Downhill
-Monster Train
-The Medium

It's like the ultimate demo service except I finished a lot of those games. Outside of Psychonauts 2 and maybe Golf with Friends, I probably would have regretted the purchase as I'll never go back to any of them so owning them or them falling off the service isn't a concern.

And if you are willing to spend `~5 minutes a day with Microsoft rewards and Game Pass quests, you can earn enough points to pay for GPU.
Yeah. For me the service is unmatched for a constant stream of AA and indie games. A lot of indies are launching at $40 now. The savings are substantial for me.

Top Bottom