• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titles added to Xbox Game Pass in 2021 were reportedly worth over $6,300

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Yeah. For me the service is unmatched for a constant stream of AA and indie games. A lot of indies are launching at $40 now. The savings are substantial for me.

Indeed.

I posted in another topic, but a game like Lake, I wouldn't spend money otherwise, but since it was on Game Pass, I tried it and liked it so much I ended up getting the full 1000 G score on it.

GP really is a nice portal to discover a lot of solid AA games on top of a regular stream of AAA titles.

and what about the titles that were removed?

This is called a one sided argument...
My strategy is to try and beat the ones I want to play. You usually get a year.

If you have beaten the game you can usually wait several years before wanting to replay it. Buy it down the road for $10. Just gotta wait.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
One of the things I like best about Game Pass is that it's caused me to broaden the type of games I'm willing to try and to play and often end up loving. I never played a twin stick shooter before The Ascent. That game ended up being one of my favorites this year.

I hate driving in games, so I really dislike racing games, but FH5 looked so pretty in the trailers I decided to try since it would cost me nothing and I ended up putting 20-30 hrs. into it. It's a GREAT game.

Pyschonauts 2 looked like some kiddie game, and I was sure I'd hate it but gave it try anyway. It turned out to be another one of my favorite games this year. I could go on and on about the great games I've discovered and played thanks to Game Pass.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Also another important thing to remember about gamepass, it doesn't prevent you from forever not buying games. You can play a game like infinite or forza now, and wait and buy them for $20 on sale later. Still kept you from spending $40 net on each and changed nothing about how you enjoy it.

Such a tired argument about owning, you're free to purchase them as you wish. Often a solid discount is provided e.g. FH5 premium cost less if you're subbed to Gamepass.

One can also reasonably argue trying games before you buy them and not having spent your money on the "wrong games", so you save and also experience more to then spend on what you actually want to own for all time. The argument continues that discounts post launch also apply so you play day one and buy in the discounted times later on.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

My strategy is to try and beat the ones I want to play. You usually get a year.

If you have beaten the game you can usually wait several years before wanting to replay it. Buy it down the road for $10. Just gotta wait.
I don't care about the topic really, GP obviously gives you great value if you want to play the games offered on the service.

I just wanted to say FANTASTIC new avatar.

bender

What time is it?
Yeah. For me the service is unmatched for a constant stream of AA and indie games. A lot of indies are launching at $40 now. The savings are substantial for me.

Yup. I have that Lodoss game ready to play for the holiday break. That is$20 I was going to spend on PSN or Switch.

twilo99

If I do that math on how many games I've played and tried out on gamepass it will be north of $1000 for the past year.. its crazy how good this service is

Xbox-Game-Pass-PC-Family_Key-Art-1920x1080.jpg

The value of the titles added to Xbox Game Pass in 2021 reportedly exceeded $6,300.

According to The Loadout’s calculations, new games introduced to the service’s console and PC libraries this year were worth $6,317.35 (about £4,780) in total.

The figure is based on the price of each game on the Microsoft Store.
That stat is silly though, nobody was going to buy all of those games or even a couple of them, hell most people haven't even played more than one or two and likely never will. It's technically correct but as someone who's locked into GPU because it was part of the package I signed up for to get a series X I can tell you that I almost never play GP games. I look through it and rarely see something I want to play that I don't already own or have owned in the past.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
One for each hand

One for each limb

ayeoooooo :D

That stat is silly though, nobody was going to buy all of those games or even a couple of them, hell most people haven't even played more than one or two and likely never will. It's technically correct but as someone who's locked into GPU because it was part of the package I signed up for to get a series X I can tell you that I almost never play GP games. I look through it and rarely see something I want to play that I don't already own or have owned in the past.

But it is a technically correct fact like you acknowledged, not everyone will like every title. That's the beauty of choice.

Looking at my Trueachievements account, I can see 87 games from when I bought the SX to today which are via Game Pass.

Not 87 games completed sure, but many of them are completed (story modes at least) and many are games I tried for an hour or two and dropped for various reasons.

That's a pretty significant number.

edit: And this is separate from any separate disc based games I bought not on GP like Guardians, RE Village etc.

Last edited:
Greatest service ever!

The best thing about it is me finding interest in a lot of games I was curious about but couldn’t justify spending money on.

Yep, this is giving me that old school cable vibe minus all the added extra cost. The reason I still keep cable after all these years is that, when I feel like it, I just love discovering or happening upon shit even if nearly 80-90% might be spent on 1-3 specific channels. Game Pass offers that kind of premium cable with all the channels freedom of access and discovery without the cost associated. That shit for gaming is a magical combination, and I love Microsoft for making something like it a reality.

Chukhopops

If I do that math on how many games I've played and tried out on gamepass it will be north of $1000 for the past year.. its crazy how good this service is
Yeah if I look at just the games I finished this year it’s around €550. Add the non-finishable and non-finished games and it’s close to 1k for this year.

Then you add all the money you saved from not buying bad games and it’s ridiculous.

Wizz-Art

If you pay regular price for Game Pass Ultimate it's $15 a month or $180 a year. This means you need to play about 3 day one games to get your money's worth.

My list of games I played this year 2021 through Game Pass;

Outsiders
Yakuza Like a Dragon
12 Minutes
Call of the Sea
Scarlett Nexus
Disneyland Adventures
Dodgeball Academia
Omno
Flight Simulator
Psychonauts 2
Marvels Avengers
Cris Tales
Katamari Damacy Reroll
Art of Rally
Hades
Tetris Effect Connected
Lumines Remastered
Grim Fandango remastered
theHunter Call of the Wild
Grounded
Maneater
Knockout City
Hivebusters (Gears 5 story DLC)
Human Fall Flat
Full Throttle remastered
Day of the Tentacle remastered
Zombie Army 4
The Gardens Between
Donut County
Need For Speed Heat
Battletoads
Halo Infinite

Games bought but could've played through Game Pass;

• Forza Horizon 4
  • Forza Horizon 5
  • State of Decay 2
  • MLB the Show
  • The Evil Within 2
  • Wreckfest
  • Grand Theft Auto V
  • Gears 5
  • Dragon Quest XI
  • Resident Evil 7
  • Dirt 5
  • Wolfenstein The New Order
I'm sure that even with the current prices of these games I played through Game Pass is still way over the $180 I payed through the year so at the end it saved me money.

Last edited:
I am very happy with it, I also bought many titles at a discount at the end ... maybe started and not finished due to lack of time. Lots of titles to play, less money spent, it's a win-win for me.

All I can say is thank you. It doesn't mean that you would have bought or enjoyed all of those games have it not been on Game Pass. The best thing it lets you try all little titles for free essentially. [well ok 5$ a month]

kingfey

Banned
That is your fault for not playing gamepass games. You acting like you are a spoiled kid.

I guarantee you, that you will spend way too much money buying these games.

People like to say "I would like to own my games". Guess buddy, not everyone will spend on alot of games. There are a must buy vs not worth buying. And these are a risky games. Unless you have a demo, you are gambling with your money to check whether the game is good or not.

The stats shows, how much you will spend, if you don't have gamepass. Just buying day1 games at 30$/60$ price tag is expensive. 2 day 1 games every month is 24*30=that is 720$/1440$. Compared to 180$ for that 1 year to play it. And these are xbox 1st party games day1, and 1 extra 3rd party games. That is how much you spend in 1 year to play those games.

DragonNCM

So you got 3 years of gold for $10? Or are you one of those people that forget to add the cost of Gold into the equation?

I'm not knocking the deal, I did the three years loophole too, but I don't count it as paying $14 for GPU. Total cost for me was around $150 if I remember right.
I go to 16 months (3 months free promo) for 50$ so your math is right.

BlackM1st

Banned
I wish something like that existed when I was a kid. For 15$ a month it's an amazing value.

With is age it's definitely loses its value, when I can afford any game I want, but I don't want most of 'em and don't have any time to play anyway lol ;_;

SkylineRKR

GP is a good deal. Even without the Gold deal.

I've played Halo and Forza, which is pretty much my annual sub already. Psychonauts 2 and Flight Sim on top of those. The rest is bonus. It saves me buying games like Cyber Shadow, Hades and Art of Rally which does add up as they're 19,99+ a piece. I used to buy those kind of games on PS4 frequently.

ZehDon

Funnily enough, Gamepass the closest I've felt to being back in the PlayStation 1 era. Back then, it felt like every other week my friends or family were playing some new, weird, wild, amazing game. I remember my Uncle introducing me to Driver, and being hooked on it for weeks. I remember my school friend showing me Resident Evil for the first time. And I remember that original MGS demo entertaining my group of friends for far too long. That kind of varied library is what I love about gaming, and Gamepass provides it in spades. As long as they keep doing what they're doing, I'll stay subbed.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Value is subjective to everyone, but it’s been a worthy year to me personally as I haven’t had to pay launch day retail prices for Flight Sim, Psychonauts 2, Forza Horizon 5, Halo, Octopath Traveller and Hades.

BigBooper

A silly talking point. We're renting, not buying. We also can't choose which games we get.

It's great value anyways though. I've got 2.5 years of Gamepass ultimate still to go.

Tams

Gold Member
Still buying CD’s I guess? There’s a thing called Spotify nowadays. You know, you pay 10 quid a month and you can play almost any music you want.

Sounds impressive hey?
I only subscribe to Spotify as most music holds very little value to me. When I'm listening to Spotify I'm almost always doing something else at the same time. In that sense that I don't own a copy for perpetuity doesn't bother me, and the instant choice of most music (to suit my activity) is a worthwhile trade-off. I also hop around songs and musicians, so buying it all would be prohibitively expensive.

But even for music I do buy the CDs and special edition things they the small number of musicians I really like release. And occasionally I'll listen to the CD or a FLAC rip of one.

Now, for games you and others clearly do treat them the same way as I treat music from Spotify. But for me, not owning what I am focussing my time and energy into is not acceptable. And I don't hop around games much. I have a few that are perennial (Mario Kart, etc.) that I go to as my mood takes me. But mainly I buy a main game and play it until I complete it (or near enough). I treat books the same way.

TV shows/films are borderline for me (as they are longer than music, but shorter than games), so I only have a subscription because I use Amazon Prime anyway. I cancelled my Netflix subscription as I watched all that interested me.

Last edited:

twilo99

Yeah if I look at just the games I finished this year it’s around €550. Add the non-finishable and non-finished games and it’s close to 1k for this year.

Then you add all the money you saved from not buying bad games and it’s ridiculous.

yeah, the value is certainly there, but it varies for every user obviously. It really hard to put an exact number on value like that.

For example you and I are getting about 1k/year from it, but someone might actually be maxing it out even more, and then someone might only be getting a few hundred out of it.. but I think it will be really hard to be "loosing" money on it with the current pricing.

If you like video games, its an insanely good service.

tmlDan

Idk if its just me, but i've played more games i've bought than games i played on GP or PS Now, maybe its my boomer mentality but having too many options makes it overwhelming and when i buy something with my money i feel obligated to finish it lol

I think i've only played Halo and Forza and a bit of Hades on GP this year....seems like the value is not there for me but fuck, i'll keep both subs lol

sircaw

Banned
It’s a pretty good deal, anyone saying otherwise are either delusional or have an agenda.

Requires effort, time and potentially gas money.
Gas money, jeez i said public not state, how far away is your library. :messenger_grinning:

Mines about 150 yards from my house.

Getting walking pork chop :messenger_heart:

Top Bottom