• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLOU franchise at 37 million units sold, new TLOU Multiplayer concept art

Pelta88

Odd number to celebrate. The paranoid part of me wants to think the timing isn't entirely an accident (GOTY awards)

Probably one of the most juvenile and nonsensical responses I've ever read on gaf. ND as a studio just hit 37 Million copies sold of a single franchise. And you think they're making announcements to counter the fact that they don't hold the most awarded GOTY title?! A title they've held since 2019?

They've got a TV show premiering in a matter of days on one of the biggest cable networks in the world. They've been developing and are about to make a concerted AAA push into the multiplayer space. With the full backing of Sony/Playstation marketing which is about to kick into gear. And you think they're worrying about goty nominations?

Sometimes you've got to let the petty shit go.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
Part 1 concept arts look more or less like in-game shots. Very curious about the balance they strike between what this franchise stands for in terms of the vibe and presentation and all the zaniness seemingly intrinsic to multiplayer

Aggelos

tlou1_ellie_riley_parcnd94.gif

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
no numbers for TLoP2 is quite telling how much of a underperformer it was.
Not necessarily. TLOU 2 is pacing ahead of TLOU.

This is just a PlayStation way to celebrate franchises and share data. Here is an example:

Which one do you think was an underperformer here: Spider-Man PS4 or Miles Morales? We know how well Miles Morales charted and continue to do so till date.

This is a massive success however one slices it. And they have a real chance of pushing 50 million with a TLOU 2 PS5 version, PC releases, multiplayer hype, and HBO show.

RAIDEN1

I'm watching the PS4 remaster as a movie on YouTube, as I wasn't drawn to the game compared to the Uncharted series, as a movie it isn't bad...

dorkimoe

4 years? They dropped this for TLOU2 single player. And they also did work on TLOU Remake and Uncharted Legacy of Thieves (console version).
They were working on this multiplayer at the beginning of tlou2. They didn’t drop it until halfway through at least

For some reason this concept art (more so then the last one) really signaled to me how big this multiplayer is probably gonna be. I wouldn’t be surprised if this really sets playstation studios on a much bigger trajectory than even the ps4 titles did.

I don’t think sony is taking this GAAS/Multiplayer thing lightly, which yes of course we know that because they bought Bungie but they are putting a lot of money into this game.

I think people expecting this to be like an add-on for TLOU Part 2 are going to be in for a surprise. I think this is a Destiny scale game that will be marketed and have billboards of its own like their other big first party games. Sony might end up carving out their own ‘blockbuster’ niche in the multiplayer space like no other dev really is

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
They didn't announce sales for a year and people said this was a sign that it underperformed.
People said the same thing when they announce that the game sold over 10 million.

Jaybe

For some reason this concept art (more so then the last one) really signaled to me how big this multiplayer is probably gonna be. I wouldn’t be surprised if this really sets playstation studios on a much bigger trajectory than even the ps4 titles did.

I don’t think sony is taking this GAAS/Multiplayer thing lightly, which yes of course we know that because they bought Bungie but they are putting a lot of money into this game.

I think people expecting this to be like an add-on for TLOU Part 2 are going to be in for a surprise. I think this is a Destiny scale game that will be marketed and have billboards of its own like their other big first party games.
I figure they are aiming for something the level of GTA Online / RDR Online. Hopefully ND pull off something awesome.

Salz01

It makes all the sense in the world to have a gameplay reveal during the HBO show season finale.

So about 10 weeks from now (show is 8 episodes, airs in 2 weeks)
I’m not sure, I normally don’t see ads on HBO. I could see it being odd to show video game footage or teaser, after a live action format.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I mean 4 releases and the majority is TLOU1 it's okay I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Must .. fight… reaction.. to .. troll .. with … single .. Mario kart 8… numbers…

robin-trapped.gif

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
It probably wouldn't feel so much like you're just getting started after ten years if you'd stop releasing the first game.

Raonak

Banned
I honestly think they are waiting for a big enough PS5 install base that they can make it exclusive and not worry about PS4 load times holding back pS5 players.

ProtoByte

The numbers are gonna double once this show comes out
I have my doubts. This isn't telling a different story like The Witcher or Edgerunner - the latter of which I don't even think can be attributed for Cyberpunk's last sales update.

Uncharted's movie went as far as to mix all the narratives into one, and it didn't boost the remaster on PS5. It full on flopped on PC.

They didn't announce sales for a year and people said this was a sign that it underperformed.
People said the same thing when they announce that the game sold over 10 million.
I preface this by saying that I like the game, but I think Sony had higher expectations. It's not a failure at all, but it could've been better if not for the fake leaks and the actual leaks that came after.

I have my doubts. This isn't telling a different story like The Witcher or Edgerunner - the latter of which I don't even think can be attributed for Cyberpunk's last sales update.

Uncharted's movie went as far as to mix all the narratives into one, and it didn't boost the remaster on PS5. It full on flopped on PC.

I preface this by saying that I like the game, but I think Sony had higher expectations. It's not a failure at all, but it could've been better if not for the fake leaks and the actual leaks that came after.

I mean theres just absolutely no way to know what sonys expectations were for the game, it was profitable in a week and gained a bunch of prestige for the brand. With that line of thinking we can kind of say that about any game that don’t specifically say performed above expectations. Which is all of them.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Very good numbers for a single player franchise limited to one platform. If they get a sales bump once the show lands, like The Witcher and Cyberpunk did, they'll be laughing to ~40 million.

For the numbers, TLOU moved around 22-24 million before PS5, and the last official figures we had for TLOU were 10 million. Presuming the TLOU1 remaster on PS5 didn't tank, I'd say TLOU/TLOU1 would be ~26 million, TLOU2 around 11+ million. If the multiplayer is standalone, then I'd say TLOU2 will putter out with ~13 million lifetime, and TLOU1 will probably hit 30+ million with the show bump. Pretty clear the sequel underdelivered, but it's also clear people still love the first one, and the brand could have big potential in the multiplayer space. Future looking bright!

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Very good numbers for a single player franchise limited to one platform. If they get a sales bump once the show lands, like The Witcher and Cyberpunk did, they'll be laughing to ~40 million.

For the numbers, TLOU moved around 22-24 million before PS5, and the last official figures we had for TLOU were 10 million. Presuming the TLOU1 remaster on PS5 didn't tank, I'd say TLOU/TLOU1 would be ~26 million, TLOU2 around 11+ million. If the multiplayer is standalone, then I'd say TLOU2 will putter out with ~13 million lifetime, and TLOU1 will probably hit 30+ million with the show bump. Pretty clear the sequel underdelivered, but it's also clear people still love the first one, and the brand could have big potential in the multiplayer space. Future looking bright!
TLOU 2 is still selling and there's a good chance we're going to see a PS5 and PC release. It's going to surpass 13 million in lifetime sales. lol.

The show and the multiplayer are probably going to boost sales for both titles for years.

TLOU 2 is still selling and there's a good chance we're going to see a PS5 and PC release. It's going to surpass 13 million in lifetime sales. lol.

The show and the multiplayer are probably going to boost sales for both titles for years.

Yeah, series isn’t slowing down anytime soon. This, spider-man and god of war are gonna pass 40 million copies with two games each by teh end of this year

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member

Not really. The show probably won't boost sales for the sequel all that much until the second season rolls around, and even then, it'll depend on how that's received. A PS5 re-release of TLOU2 would probably be even less well received than TLOU1 was given its age. And we've yet to see how any of these games will fair in the PC space. Uncharted's PC release didn't make much of a splash, while both Spiderman and God of War seem to have done much better. I can see TLOU1 doing well enough, but I'll have to be convinced the sequel's got more than two million copies left in it.
The multiplayer title is definitely a wild card - a lot of factors there, could be huge, could be a misfire. Only time will tell.

Last edited:

farmerboy

Congrats Sony and Naughty Dog.

The new gaas/multi game will rock. I hope ND has a sense of humour and Abby can use a golf club, at least for special finishers.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Not really. The show probably won't boost sales for the sequel all that much until the second season rolls around, and even then, it'll depend on how that's received. A PS5 re-release of TLOU2 would probably be even less well received than TLOU1 was given its age. And we've yet to see how any of these games will fair in the PC space. Uncharted's PC release didn't make much of a splash, while both Spiderman and God of War seem to have done much better. I can see TLOU1 doing well enough, but I'll have to be convinced the sequel's got more than two million copies left in it.
The multiplayer title is definitely a wild card - a lot of factors there, could be huge, could be a misfire. Only time will tell.
Last of Us Remake was released in September.

The Last of Us Part II charted well on the PS charts.
August
US/CA: 10th
EU: 7th
September
US/CA: 11th
EU: 15th
November
US/CA: 4th
EU: 4th

It was even the 12th best-selling game in Europe during November.

European GSD November 2022 Top 20 (Digital + Physical)
12 The Last of Us: Part 2 (Sony)

This could be attributed to the fact that it was during Black Friday sale AND the release of the PS5 version of The Last of Us.

PC players are more than likely going to be more interested in the multiplayer than the mainline series, but considering the multiplayer will feature it's own story, that may in fact introduce some more new players to The Last of Us 1 & 2.

Uncharted 4 didn't make a splash and this could be due tot he fact that PC players are not familiar with the series. The approach is going to be completely different with TLOU.

ZehDon

Gold Member
... Uncharted 4 didn't make a splash and this could be due tot he fact that PC players are not familiar with the series. The approach is going to be completely different with TLOU.
Nothing you've posted demonstrates TLOU2 has legs beyond another two million copies in its current form.

I think Uncharted's lack of success has more to do with PC players not typically going in for the hyper-linear style of game that Naughty Dog makes. Spider-man did very well, but it's an open world game with incredible traversal and exploration at its core. God of War is far more open and less linear than TLOU, and its simply more mainstream in its appeal. I expect TLOU1 will shift a few million copies from PC players looking to see what the series is all about, and from the bump from the show. TLOU2 will likely sell ~50% of what TLOU1 sells on PC, presuming its console split holds. Nothing I'm seeing anywhere suggest TLOU2 sells more than another 2 million copies. It's not a failure by any stretch of the imagination, but its simply not as successful as its predecessor. That's fine, happens to a lot of series.

Sony phrasing sales as franchises make me think they don’t care about individual game sales after a certain period, they just want to show that the IP as a. Whole is valuable. They can find other ways to milk money out of them after a certain point (multimedia projects, merch, brand association, etc)

I think individual game sales are becoming less important in the overall grand scheme outside of the PR blurbs. As long as they can attach big numbers to an IP dont think they care that much, they make their money from 3rd party and in-game currency not single player games. Single player games get people into the ecosystem

Good reviews, goty nomnations and awards and lifetime sales are probably what they’re after

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Nothing you've posted demonstrates TLOU2 has legs beyond another two million copies in its current form.

I think Uncharted's lack of success has more to do with PC players not typically going in for the hyper-linear style of game that Naughty Dog makes. Spider-man did very well, but it's an open world game with incredible traversal and exploration at its core. God of War is far more open and less linear than TLOU, and its simply more mainstream in its appeal. I expect TLOU1 will shift a few million copies from PC players looking to see what the series is all about, and from the bump from the show. TLOU2 will likely sell ~50% of what TLOU1 sells on PC, presuming its console split holds. Nothing I'm seeing anywhere suggest TLOU2 sells more than another 2 million copies. It's not a failure by any stretch of the imagination, but its simply not as successful as its predecessor. That's fine, happens to a lot of series.
Take a look at your estimates.

It was announced that it sold over 10 million copies in Spring. So from March through December, you believe it sold around 1 million copies (or around 500k). Now that's a good amount of copies to be sold and still be under 13m in lifetime sales.

This is before the....

1. PC release
2. PS5 version
3. Bundles
4. Discounts

I mean, you can believe it won't reach more than 13 million in lifetime sales, but considering that The Last of Us PS4 version is still charting before the PC release, PS5 version, bundles, and discounts (for both PS5 and PC), then you're going to leave yourself with a very small window. lol

Banjo64

cumsessed
Sony phrasing sales as franchises make me think they don’t care about individual game sales after a certain period, they just want to show that the IP as a. Whole is valuable. They can find other ways to milk money out of them after a certain point (multimedia projects, merch, brand association, etc)

I think individual game sales are becoming less important in the overall grand scheme outside of the PR blurbs. As long as they can attach big numbers to an IP dont think they care that much, they make their money from 3rd party and in-game currency not single player games. Single player games get people into the ecosystem

Good reviews, goty nomnations and awards and lifetime sales are probably what they’re after
I don’t see that at all.

They’ve announced individual figures for GoW 2018, Spider-Man and Horizon. Because they were all 20m. TLoU part II has simply not sold well enough to brag about individually, and it’s been available from £20 and lower since 3 or 4 months after release.

I can’t imagine this board if Microsoft were bragging about 81m sales in the Halo franchise after launching Infinite.

ZehDon

Gold Member
... I mean, you can believe it won't reach more than 13 million in lifetime sales, but considering that The Last of Us PS4 version is still charting before the PC release, PS5 version, bundles, and discounts (for both PS5 and PC), then you're going to leave yourself with a very small window. lol
TLOU1 was dramatically better received, and that word of mouth has carried it on. It's not the first series to have its predecessor continue on after a sequel has landed. Consider what we've seen: TLOU1 PS5 release didn't set the world on fire, and Uncharted on PC didn't do much of anything. Do you think a TLOU2 PS5 release is somehow going to do better, given it tracks around ~50% of P1 on consoles? I very much do not think it will. If I'm wrong about the PC reception for this series - and again, nothing I can see suggests I am - then TLOU1 might do ok, but TLOU2 will do considerably less business. PC, PS5, discounts, and bundles; I don't TLOU2 getting a second wind from any of it. I suspect once the show lands, Sony and Naughty Dog will move over to talking about "franchise sales" and don't bring up individual unit sales for the sequel again, ala Microsoft's approach.

kyliethicc

I don’t see that at all.

They’ve announced individual figures for GoW 2018, Spider-Man and Horizon. Because they were all 20m. TLoU part II has simply not sold well enough to brag about individually, and it’s been available from £20 and lower since 3 or 4 months after release.

I can’t imagine this board if Microsoft were bragging about 81m sales in the Halo franchise after launching Infinite.

your logic

individual sales = game sold well

grouped sales = game sold bad

Cracking Up Lol GIF

Last edited:
I don’t see that at all.

They announced numbers for TLOU 2 also

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
TLOU1 was dramatically better received, and that word of mouth has carried it on. It's not the first series to have its predecessor continue on after a sequel has landed. Consider what we've seen: TLOU1 PS5 release didn't set the world on fire, and Uncharted on PC didn't do much of anything. Do you think a TLOU2 PS5 release is somehow going to do better, given it tracks around ~50% of P1 on consoles? I very much do not think it will. If I'm wrong about the PC reception for this series - and again, nothing I can see suggests I am - then TLOU1 might do ok, but TLOU2 will do considerably less business. PC, PS5, discounts, and bundles; I don't TLOU2 getting a second wind from any of it. I suspect once the show lands, Sony and Naughty Dog will move over to talking about "franchise sales" and don't bring up individual unit sales for the sequel again, ala Microsoft's approach.

You have to remember that Last of Us Remake launched at $70 and it would have likely sold more if it launched at $40-$50. Not only that, the PS4 Remastered version is free for all PS5 users.

If Last of Us Part II was able to chart well from August to December, then I can assume that many people who bought Last of Us Remake were new to the series and decided to buy the sequel. We're also not in 2020 and new customers don't have to deal with the leaks and backlash.

PS5 versions of The Last of Us Part I & II aren't expected to put up huge numbers and this will be a great opportunity for them to bundle the games together with PS5 consoles this year as they're going to push hard on advertising The Last of Us Series. Selling just under 2 million LIFETIME for the next just a very small window that could easily be passed up.

kyliethicc

so here ya go. something like this roughly

December 2022 - The Last of Us franchise > 37 million

TLoU ~ 8 million PS3 (lifetime)

TLoU Remastered ~ 15* m PS4 (~ +3 since may 2019)
* includes copies bundled with PS4s
* millions bought the game twice due to PS4 lacking back compat

TLoU Part II ~ 13 m PS4 (~ +3 since may 2022)

TLoU Part I ~ 1 m PS5 (launch)

Last edited:

drezz

With these concept arts it seems you are in a group of 2.
3 Groups sighted and they are all duo's. Which is a let down as we were 4 in the orginal factions.
But I guess WZ and Fornite has 4, Apex has 3 and here comes lou and wants duo? :messenger_crying:
Really hope we can be 4.

Top Bottom