• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLOU II 2nd year anniversary!

Today marks the 2nd year anniversary of TLOU II’s release. No game ever made compares to it. I have never played anything this well done in my life. This game has everything. Yes the story was divisive, but there is a reason why its the most awarded game in history…I personally loved the story and everything else…it’s the king of graphics and Naughty Dog showed what you can accomplish with talent, big budget, time and custom API (“coding to the metal”). This was accomplished on 1.84 TFLOP hardware…I can’t wait to see what they can do with PS5 (TLOU Remake doesn’t count). IMO their engine needs to be updated with UE5 features, Nanite, Lumen etc.. infinite geometry and a realtime lighting solution would make TLOU 3 shine…all in all most native PS5 games don’t compete with TLOU II visually…

Digital Foundry’s review elaborates my view

I need TLOU 3 to match this.

Also I need a TLOU II remaster for PS5 with the E3 2018 character models and Ray Tracing. :) thx Naughty Dog.

EDIT: fixed errors

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
It really still holds the highest peak of game production quality.

Celebrate The Last Of Us GIF by Naughty Dog

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Incredible game. Deserved all its success and accolades.

Award Totals

• The Last of Us Part II - 321
    • Media Outlets: 208 | Readers' Choice: 113

Woggleman

One of my favorite games and even if I hate the story which I don't the gameplay and combat is some of the best I have played. It perfectly captures the brutal and gritty nature of a life or death struggle for survival in a hostile and violent world. It also has some of the best enemy AI I have ever seen if not the best.

SCB3

I didn't like the story like a lot and felt the last chapter was not needed and kinda out of place and ruined a lot of Ellies character but I still enjoyed what I played, the gameplay was fantastic, the world super engrossing and well designed

93xfan

Banned
Today is the 2nd anniversary?! What should we do all do? Let’s make it special! An anniversary like this only comes around every other year

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I cut into an unarmored opponent five times with a massive sword in any Soul Calibur and they were both not dead and able to swing their weapon like nothing happened.

-5/10
I was a lil boi, I took some magic mushroom and grew big boi and had delusions of grandeur rescuring a princess… oh wait, that was real…

Perfect 5/7 (only those internet meme kings will get this)

Last edited:

skneogaf

Amazing game play, one of the very best in terms of game play actually.

Graphics are amazing for that generation.

I did hope more was going to be added for the ps5 patch like Real 4k or even some non baked lighting etc

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
You will believe that a skinny teenage lesbian can grenade 100 dogs, shoot 500 hundred humans and kill a pregnant woman.

Naughty Dog, you are AH-MAZING!

Ludonarrative dissonance was all the buzz a few years back but TLOU2 should be the poster child for the term considering the theme the game tried to golf club you over the head with (sorry, Joel). My favorite story sequence in TLOU2 was the museum flashback as it highlighted what made the original work so well and what the sequel sorely lacked. Joel and Ellie are fine characters but their relationship and the chemistry of the voice actors really made an also ran story work. None of the new supporting cast came close to the likes of Bill.

Beyond the mess of a story and weaker cast of characters, it's fun game and a technical marvel.

Shifty1897

The mix of salty comments and praise here shows how this game did what it set out to do.

Everyone has some sort of reaction to it. Even people that didn't play it.

That's when you know you have a masterpiece in your hands.

This game will age like Metal gear solid 2 basically.
MGS2 is an interesting comparison. Because you're right, at the time critics loved MGS2 but Joe Shmoe gamer at my high school hated the bait and switch into playing as Raiden for most of the game.

Now everyone looks back on MGS2 fondly.

bender

What time is it?
MGS2 is an interesting comparison. Because you're right, at the time critics loved MGS2 but Joe Shmoe gamer at my high school hated the bait and switch into playing as Raiden for most of the game.

Now everyone looks back on MGS2 fondly.

MGS2 has a few things going for it, one will probably never see again. A twist like that will never be able to be kept under such tight wraps in this day and age. Joel's fate leaked months ahead of TLOU2 release. And as batshit as the MGS2 narrative and story are, the theme is shockingly prophetic.

I disliked MGS2 when it released and my opinion hasn't changed much but it never had anything to do with Raiden. The bosses were lame and Big Shell was boring.

Last edited:

Dorohedoro

MGS2 has a few things going for it, one will probably never see again. A twist like that will never be able to be kept under such tight wraps in this day and age. Joel's fate leaked months ahead of TLOU2 release. And as batshit as the MGS2 narrative and story are, the theme is shockingly prophetic.

I disliked MGS2 when it released and my opinion hasn't changed much but it never had anything to do with Raiden. The bosses were lame and Big Shell was boring.
That was a real shame. Wonder how the reaction would've been if the leaks never happened. I'm sure there were still going to be meltdowns and a good amount of backlash either way because the game was always going to be controversial, but I doubt there would've been quite the same amount of toxicity and you definitely wouldn't fake bullshit like a tRanZ wOmEn kiLlEd mUh bOi.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
That was a real shame. Wonder how the reaction would've been if the leaks never happened. I'm sure there were still going to be meltdowns and a good amount of backlash either way because the game was always going to be controversial, but I doubt there would've been quite the same amount of toxicity and you definitely wouldn't fake bullshit like a tRanZ wOmEn kiLlEd mUh bOi.

There was definitely a lot of misinformation out there too. It's also hard to have an earnest conversation around the game as too many people go the "Cuckman" approach and criticize ND for having a social agenda. Joel's fate never bothered me, I just don't think anything in TLOU2 comes close to Joel and Ellie's relationship except that museum flashback. I never got invested in any of the A-Side or B-Side characters either and the B-Side cast had the misfortune of being introduced with a series altering swing. That's a needle that was just too hard for ND to thread.

Rykan

You will believe that a skinny teenage lesbian can grenade 100 dogs, shoot 500 hundred humans and kill a pregnant woman.

Naughty Dog, you are AH-MAZING!
I wonder if you made the exact same comments about, say, the Uncharted series in which a straight treasure hunter and his senior buddy kill legions of highly trained private military soldiers while joking around. Otherwise it would be pretty weird to single out this game and specifically emphasize the fact that she is gay.

I'm just kidding, I'm not actually wondering because I know the answer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom