• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLOU II 2nd year anniversary!

they should add ms paint edits into the game and you get to play as the angry female protagonist always making the angry face just like on the box. Your character should just sit at a pc making ms paint edits of the game while inside the game while you play. Also characters should be sexing on the bed nearby so it gets more awards

Madflavor

Watching Gaf creating a thread to suck TLoU2’s dick every time it wins a new award, sells more copies, or has its birthday is starting to become a community staple on here. It’s like watching 6 year olds eating McDonalds, because a happy meal is a masterpiece of the culinary arts when you’re in the single digits.

The best part is the attitude of self worth and superiority from some of those that loved it, just because they didn’t hate a challenging and mature story. I’m reminded of that South Park episode where they go to California, and every time someone over there makes a statement, they cut a fart and lean in to smell their own brand.

SpokkX

Replaying at 60fps on new game +

I am really enjoying it WAY more now when you have acces to more weapons early and I can skip some of the slower/more boring scenes especially in at the start

The only game where I enjoyed every single minute and the only game my partner watched me play from start to finish. We were both gripped by the story.

I really can't wait for this to come to PC. Hopefully with some enhancements for the platform. Also very much looking forward to playing Last Of Us 1 on PC as I never got to finish that on PS3/PS4.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Watching Gaf creating a thread to suck TLoU2’s dick every time it wins a new award, sells more copies, or has its birthday is starting to become a community staple on here. It’s like watching 6 year olds eating McDonalds, because a happy meal is a masterpiece of the culinary arts when you’re in the single digits.

The best part is the attitude of self worth and superiority from some of those that loved it, just because they didn’t hate a challenging and mature story. I’m reminded of that South Park episode where they go to California, and every time someone over there makes a statement, they cut a fart and lean in to smell their own brand.
It really is an uphill battle because in every of these threads, there are tons of people hating on it and clearly never played it or just not respecting others opinions.
TLOU2 I feel is more on lost position here, rather than winning

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I've already alluded to that it's possible the wound looked worse because of the blood. Still leaves him and the others making it back to a place 1000 miles away with their injuries in an apocalyptic setting. It's the combination of those 2 factors that stretches credulity.

Dina and Ellie's injuries weren't serious and could be treated at the theatre. Tommy's injury only needed antibiotics. As the picture shows above, his eye wasn't lost so the injury wasn't as serious.

I need quotes from someone with medical knowledge that these were life-threatening injuries.

Ulysses 31

Dina and Ellie's injuries weren't serious and could be treated at the theatre. Tommy's injury only needed antibiotics. As the picture shows above, his eye wasn't lost so the injury wasn't as serious.

I need quotes from someone with medical knowledge that these were life-threatening injuries.
I'll gladly assume they weren't mortally injured. The issue is that they'd have to lay real low to avoid getting attacked. Tommy is now limp and lost an eye, Ellie has a broken arm and Dina might have a concussion and has her pregnancy wearing her down. If they'd ever get attacked they'd be royally screwed.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I'll gladly assume they weren't mortally injured. The issue is that they'd have to lay real low to avoid getting attacked. Tommy is now limp and lost an eye, Ellie has a broken arm and Dina might have a concussion and has her pregnancy wearing her down. If they'd ever get attacked they'd be royally screwed.
Doesn't say her arm was broken. It could have been dislocated. A concussion is not a serious injury and you can literally walk it off. So no quote, just an opinion?

You're exaggerating how severe the injuries are and you can't provide a quote. I'm done lol.

Ulysses 31

Doesn't say her arm was broken. It could have been dislocated. A concussion is not a serious injury and you can literally walk it off. So no quote, just an opinion?

You're exaggerating how severe the injuries are and you can't provide a quote. I'm done lol.
Doesn't really matter. Point was that her arm wouldn't be much use for anything for a while and it's a disadvantage in combat. Depends on the concussion, some disappear within days or last weeks. But even if she didn't have a concussion, her pregnancy made her less combat ready.

In short, they were in a serious disadvantage and had to travel 1000 miles starting from enemy territory in an apocalyptic world.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Doesn't really matter. Point was that her arm wouldn't be much use for anything for a while and it's a disadvantage in combat. Depends on the concussion, some disappear within days or last weeks. But even if she didn't have a concussion, her pregnancy made her less combat ready.

In short, they were in a serious disadvantage and had to travel 1000 miles starting from enemy territory in an apocalyptic world.
They weren't forced to go back. A dislocated elbow can take 3 weeks to heal. You admitted that concussions can take a few days.

There's nothing in the game that forced them to go back. They could've waited to heal before traveling 1000 miles. All the W.L.F members traveled to Scar island (they were all going to the Island as ordered by Isaac) and they seemingly lost.

If you knew the story, then you should know this. But of course, you're manufacturing many obstacles to make it appear worse than it actually is. And still no quotes from people with medical knowledge. Ok, finally, I'm done.

Ulysses 31

They weren't forced to go back.
They can't really stay in enemy territory either. Especially not in their state.
A dislocated elbow can take 3 weeks to heal. You admitted that concussions can take a few days.
Yes, so they were in bad shape to defend themselves until then.
There's nothing in the game that forced them to go back. They could've waited to heal before traveling 1000 miles. All the W.L.F members traveled to Scar island (they were all going to the Island as ordered by Isaac) and they seemingly lost.
We don't know who lost/won and we're just supposed to fill in the blanks. That's not good story telling to just assume the WLF were wiped out or that the remaining ones didn't return at all so that Ellie's gang could fully heal up and return at their leisure.

I got the impression that the scars were the ones losing with how their island seemed in flames. The WLF seemed better armed too.

Edit: This exposition suggests the WLF lost and that the scars were now attacking WLF territory which strengthens my point. Ellie's gang can't hang around in WLF territory that's being overrun by ruthless scars.

If you knew the story, then you should know this.
Seems like you missed some story details too. :lollipop_grinning:

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

God of War wins Game of the Year

God of War sells 19.5 million copies.

God of War coming to PC.

God of War franchise 51 million copies.

God of War sells at least 1 million on PC.

God of War 2+ million on Steam.

God of War PC a success.

God of War 3.1 million copies in 3 days

God of War 2 year anniversary.

I'm sure people didn't really complain about this, but people have a problem celebrating TLOU 2 accomplishments?

Last edited:

Valedix

Gold Member
It really still holds the highest peak of game production quality.

Celebrate The Last Of Us GIF by Naughty Dog
Too bad the story doesn't hold the production quality

Narratively, it’s bold but falls short of accomplishing what it wants to do. As a game, though, it stands alone as an expertly crafted and extremely fun to play game.

Rykan

What's funny is that if I type your username, Neogaf and TLOU 2 in google, it turns out that you're in basically every TLOU 2 thread on GAF.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
This is maybe my favorite modern game. I enjoy it more than Part I.

Things like this are obviously subjective, and I respect the opinions of people who didn't enjoy Part II, but at the same time there's a certain sentiment surrounding this particular game I find off-putting. Sometimes I use Part II as a litmus test to determine whether or not I'm talking to a dipshit.

Spaceman292

Banned
The mix of salty comments and praise here shows how this game did what it set out to do.

Everyone has some sort of reaction to it. Even people that didn't play it.

That's when you know you have a masterpiece in your hands.

This game will age like Metal gear solid 2 basically.
MGS2 actually had things to say. That's why people remember it. TLOU2 is just horrible people doibg horrible things and the only message I can really get from it is that revenge is bad.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
The fact every TLOU2 topic goes down this road just shows what a massive moment it was.
Even the ones that didn't like it can't help themselves and end up commenting.

2 years later and it still bothers people.
Massive kudos to Naughty Dog. It's not everyday a game releases that isn't indifferent to anyone.
Also shows how memorable it is and how it basically lives rent free in people's heads lol

Don't worry. These people will get over it once the play a game that is on the same level of quality as TLOU 2 is ... in 15-20 years.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Not that your hare-brained, shoot-from-the-hip post merits a response, but I'm feeling charitable today. You ready, tiger?
  • One is a game about post-apocalyptic survival, which grounds itself in gritty realism, stomach-churning violence and scavenging/crafting; the other is a 2D platformer that has never even remotely tried to be realistic.
You still follow? I can break it down into even simpler terms for you if you need me to. Since you couldn't identify the drastic tonal differences between the two games, I'm more than prepared to help...even if that means spoon-feeding you.

Well, since my profession is content production and design, I routinely use computers and various content production suites to bring in my mid-six figure salary every year, which I've brought in for well over a decade now.

Feels good, man.

P.S. Let me know if you want to compare LinkedIn profiles.

haha brilliant, you even managed to throw in a I EARN LOADSA MONEYZ as well, fucking classic

Banjo64

cumsessed
Also shows how memorable it is and how it basically lives rent free in people's heads lol

Don't worry. These people will get over it once the play a game that is on the same level of quality as TLOU 2 is ... in 15-20 years.
I played a game with superior quality back in 2013.

R.b69eff9752c096b387ffd9904770b6f1

Banjo64

cumsessed
No you didn’t. It’s one of my favorite games of all time but I couldn’t get far on the PS3 because it was a grimey slide show. PS4 version tho… 👌
Did you play it retrospectively? Because when TLoU came out in 2013 it was, in my opinion, an unprecedented technical achievement. The crowning glory of that generation of consoles.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Did you play it retrospectively? Because when TLoU came out in 2013 it was, in my opinion, an unprecedented technical achievement. The crowning glory of that generation of consoles.
I played it the day it came out. It was hella impressive, sound design especially rocked my world on my brand new 5.1 system at the time, but the performance and low res killed it for me before getting out of Boston. When the remaster came out and there was a trade in deal for like $20 I bit and aw yiss 60FPS and higher res, became one of my favorite games of all time. So I think the performance and fidelity definitely matter, and TLOU2 improved on both as well (even though it was 30FPS it was rock solid unlike the PS3 OG). And putting the gameplay improvements in Part 1 sounds great, can’t wait to replay it with a fresh coat of paint on a new TV with all the bells and whistles

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
I played it the day it came out. It was hella impressive, sound design especially rocked my world on my brand new 5.1 system at the time, but the performance and low res killed it for me before getting out of Boston. When the remaster came out and there was a trade in deal for like $20 I bit and aw yiss 60FPS and higher res, became one of my favorite games of all time. So I think the performance and fidelity definitely matter, and TLOU2 improved on both as well (even though it was 30FPS it was rock solid unlike the PS3 OG). And putting the gameplay improvements in Part 1 sounds great, can’t wait to replay it with a fresh coat of paint on a new TV with all the bells and whistles
Probably says something about me but I never even noticed poor frame-rates on the first game. I definitely believe you, maybe I wasn’t aware of performance as much back then - the game was a visual stunner though.

FingerBang

Ah, another thread in which suddenly some gamers start acting like they're movie critics, raising the bar to an insane level for TLOU2 while in other threads praising the worst kind of Japanese game with embarrassing dialogues and stories.

Though my favorite part is people behind the conspiracy that no one bought and liked this game, something I realized only a few weeks ago.
Like, a bunch of people who legit think all the praise comes from a minority of woke youtubers/outlets.

Words are superfluous. Though I understand some of the criticism better and don't like the excessive "in your face" when it comes to characters sexuality, this game is still on a completely different level.

Last edited:

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I'm very late to the part on this one, I just completed it for the first time a few days ago via the PS5 @ 60 fps. I avoided all spoilers and just knew that it was very controversial on several fronts.

To sum it up: The game blew me away, but also ground me down to an emotional nub.

I really liked Abby's character after we get to play as her for a while, learn her struggles and motivations. I did feel like the game was a tad bit long, but I never felt it dragged, I just felt emotionally tired by the time we see Ellie foolishly set out once again to find Abby after Tommy's visit and her PTSD prompts her to do so.

I've been gaming since they were invented and I can safely say I've never played a more brutal or bleak game, and it appears this is exactly what NG intended. This isn't even mentioning the tech aspects, which are mind-blowing and show what a massive group with a massive budget and amazing artistic/dev talent can accomplish.

One final note - I'm now going back to watching YouTube's of TLOU2 opinions, and ShillUp specifically mentions plot holes.... I guess I was blinded by everything else going on while playing, but what plot holes exactly?

Last edited:

Ellery

Ah, another thread in which suddenly some gamers start acting like they're movie critics, raising the bar to an insane level for TLOU2 while in other threads praising the worst kind of Japanese game with embarrassing dialogues and stories.

Though my favorite part is people behind the conspiracy that no one bought and liked this game, something I realized only a few weeks ago.
Like, a bunch of people who legit think all the praise comes from a minority of woke youtubers/outlets.

Words are superfluous. Though I understand some of the criticism better and don't like the excessive "in your face" when it comes to characters sexuality, this game is still on a completely different level.

Yes it is the worst. People sleep when Aloy melee defeats skyscraper dinosaurs, dont batch an eye over the disconnect in every single game like Resident Evil between cinematics and gameplay getting bitten etc. but when it is a woman in TLOU2 going to the gym or has a dialogue with another woman they going Budget Sherlock Holmes on it.

Funnily enough I remember having a discussion on Neogaf with a person that thought TLOU2 was a crap game because Ellie didn't use her handgun in the TLOU2 theater scene to shoot Abby, but that person failed to realized that Ellie already fired the exact number of bullets that handgun could hold before switching to a melee substitute. It made me appreciate TLOU2 even more because of that crazy attention to detail.

It is constant shit like that and people moving the goalpost over distances that humans didn't even know was possible when arguing over TLOU2. No idea why some are so fascinated with hating this game. Well I guess better than the horrible messages Neil Druckmann and Abby Actress got on twitter. That stuff is just vile.

Hugare

I'm very late to the part on this one, I just completed it for the first time a few days ago via the PS5 @ 60 fps. I avoided all spoilers and just knew that it was very controversial on several fronts.

To sum it up: The game blew me away, but also ground me down to an emotional nub.

I really liked Abby's character after we get to play as her for a while, learn her struggles and motivations. I did feel like the game was a tad bit long, but I never felt it dragged, I just felt emotionally tired by the time we see Ellie foolishly set out once again to find Abby after Tommy's visit and her PTSD prompts her to do so.

I've been gaming since they were invented and I can safely say I've never played a more brutal or bleak game, and it appears this is exactly what NG intended. This isn't even mentioning the tech aspects, which are mind-blowing and show what a massive group with a massive budget and amazing artistic/dev talent can accomplish.

One final note - I'm now going back to watching YouTube's of TLOU2 opinions, and ShillUp specifically mentions plot holes.... I guess I was blinded by everything else going on while playing, but what plot holes exactly?
I trully believe that, just like in Alien Isolation, the player thinking that it's taking too long to finish the game is by design

In Alien Isolation, you feel like you've just run a marathon. By the end, you feel exhausted. And I believe that it was their intention with the game.

Same with TLOU. They wanted you to go "damn Ellie, really?". Same sentiment that Dina and everyone else was feeling, "just stop"

But Ellie pushed through because the player didnt have all the information on why Ellie was hellbent on getting revenge.

The player only trully understands Ellie's motivation during the cutscene at the beach. She has forgiven Joel one day before Abby killing him.

She didnt have time to trully forgive him, and to enjoy their relationship again.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I trully believe that, just like in Alien Isolation, the player thinking that it's taking too long to finish the game is by design

In Alien Isolation, you feel like you've just run a marathon. By the end, you feel exhausted. And I believe that it was their intention with the game.

Same with TLOU. They wanted you to go "damn Ellie, really?". Same sentiment that Dina and everyone else was feeling, "just stop"

But Ellie pushed through because the player didnt have all the information on why Ellie was hellbent on getting revenge.

The player only trully understands Ellie's motivation during the cutscene at the beach. She has forgiven Joel one day before Abby killing him.

She didnt have time to trully forgive him, and to enjoy their relationship again.

Definitely by design, the game was like a horrendous gauntlet that only got more brutal as it went on. A remarkable achievement.

Totally agree with what you said about Ellie and her motivations. Great points.

rofif

Banned

There is a time for games like TLOU2 and there is a time for Final Fantasy 7 remake with amazing cheesy dialogues and fun, alive feeling to it all.
Somehow, these 2 are perfectly coexisting and do not need to be judged by the same standard.
If we judged them the same then one is 1/10 and other i 10/10 :p ... while in fact both are 10/10

Ulysses 31

If you wanna see Mauler's commentary(notorious for giving hours long commentary on movies/shows), just the highlights, he points out overly obvious plot armor, character assassinations, contrivances, manipulative character development, memberberries and perceived plot holes/bad story telling etc.

rofif

Banned
If you wanna see Mauler's commentary(notorious for giving hours long commentary on movies/shows), just the highlights, he points out overly obvious plot armor, character assassinations, contrivances, manipulative character development, memberberries and perceived plot holes/bad story telling etc.

I w not seen this but I know that both girlfriend reviews perfectly sum up my feelings about the game. They are the ones who get it imo.
“If you finished the game and still wanted to kill Abby, the. You might have finished the game you played with your controller but lost the game naughty dog was playing with your soul”

Their review is also really good.
“If they redid the first game again, it wouldn’t have any impact on me “

You will notice that reviewers who praised the game, are most likely not disassembling it critically.

Last edited:

JayK47

I think this game has the record for most threads for sure. Maybe a mod could verify.

For being so great, I have no want to play it. I didn't love the first one and I do not like the characters. I could care less if graphics are nice and gameplay is tight.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I believe the cure ultimately manifested interest in the game Ellie was supposed to be the leader, than the narrative shifted towards another character.

Ni7r

Banned
I w not seen this but I know that both girlfriend reviews perfectly sum up my feelings about the game. They are the ones who get it imo.
“If you finished the game and still wanted to kill Abby, the. You might have finished the game you played with your controller but lost the game naughty dog was playing with your soul”

Their review is also really good.
“If they redid the first game again, it wouldn’t have any impact on me “

You will notice that reviewers who praised the game, are most likely not disassembling it critically.

Chiggs

haha brilliant, you even managed to throw in a I EARN LOADSA MONEYZ as well, fucking classic

Nothing about the rest of my post, huh? Gee, wonder why that is. Possibly because what you wrote defined and re-defined the term "fucktarded" all in the same post?

DURRRR MARIO AND TLOU ARE BOTH GAMES! MARIO 2 FAT FOR PIPES!

sums up the sort of person perfectly tbh

I'm glad you made a friend. First time?

Poor form Chiggs.

What can I say? I love my life.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
To "celebrate" 2 year anniversary I decided to play some more. 2 years later it's the same mediocre shooter with outdated game design, unlikable characters and train wreck of a story.

Graphics aged like milk, you can see at every step that this game was designed for 2013 hardware. They should patch it up to PS5 standard pronto.

I played TV station and the metro/underground section and AI is definitely more A than I. After throwing a brick into the crowd, clickers and bad guys were running in circles for couple of minutes while Ellie was having a seizure:

FVthAyBWYAUfLpF

FVthCfsWUAYl73B

At this pace I might force myself to finish it for its 10 year anniversary.

Last edited:

Brian Jensen

Neo Member
To "celebrate" 2 year anniversary I decided to play some more. 2 years later it's the same mediocre shooter with outdated game design, unlikable characters and train wreck of a story.

Graphics aged like milk, you can see at every step that this game was designed for 2013 hardware. They should patch it up to PS5 standard pronto.

I played TV station and the metro/underground section and AI is definitely more A than I. After throwing a brick into the crowd, clickers and bad guys were running in circles for couple of minutes while Ellie was having a seizure:

FVthAyBWYAUfLpF

FVthCfsWUAYl73B

At this pace I might force myself to finish it for its 10 year anniversary.

I think the shooting and gameplay was groundbreaking and took ND’s tech to the next level. I love the new characters and game design as well.

Top Bottom