• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tobii is in negotiation to be the eye tracking technology provider for the Sony PlayStation VR2

ABnormal

haha, well I don't mind admitting when I don' t know things. When you think about it, the whole thing sounds kind of crazy. I'm open to the possibility that it all works, but I'm still skeptical there's zero downside. And I don't understand how you're supposed to swap resolutions that fast without having the system compute the max assets that whole time. I just don' t get it.
The assets in memory don't change. What changes is rendering resolution and quality outside the foveated area. Different levels of detail and area width can be decided in order to save GPU resources.

Tobii makes some good stuff. Used their eye tracking hardware before. But this is definitely far too alarming to be announcing this now. Seems kinda late, which could possibly mean, no release anytime soon? Index 2 might be coming out the same time?

Ozriel

M$FT
If they want to be truly competitive and have great numbers, it has to be PC compatible. Let's hope.

Yep. Spec wise, it’s better than the Index and you just know it’ll hit the market at a price point no more than $499. Should be a great option for PC users looking for high end desktop VR.
Plus, you know Sony headsets will definitely have the comfort part locked in.

Yep. Spec wise, it’s better than the Index and you just know it’ll hit the market at a price point no more than $499. Should be a great option for PC users looking for high end desktop VR.
Better than the index? Let's wait till it releases first. Eye tracking sounds great, don't get me wrong. But lower FOV, lower refresh rate, etc... Let's wait and see

mckmas8808

Banned
haha, well I don't mind admitting when I don' t know things. When you think about it, the whole thing sounds kind of crazy. I'm open to the possibility that it all works, but I'm still skeptical there's zero downside. And I don't understand how you're supposed to swap resolutions that fast without having the system compute the max assets that whole time. I just don' t get it.

I took it to be that it'll be as fast as DRS (Dynamic Resolution Scaling) is today. That scaling happens super fast and we almost never notice it.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
I have a Quest 2 and I don't move my eyes much. I can see the whole screen.
You're only perceiving about 2% of the whole screen at any given moment.

I'm open to the possibility that it all works, but I'm still skeptical there's zero downside.
Depends what you mean by 'no downside'? It's not free, there's substantive cost to the hardware to add eye-tracking, and implementation costs to perform foveated rendering (that's actually rather complex to do well).

And I don't understand how you're supposed to swap resolutions that fast without having the system compute the max assets that whole time. I just don't get it.
You don't actually 'swap' resolutions (not in the sense of telling display something's changed.)
Think of it as analogous of Variable Rate Shading that already changes areas of 'high-detail' every rendered frame in games that use Tier-2. There's additional complexity/nuances to doing effective Foveated detail (and preferably your hw has support for more than just VRS), but the general principle is the same.

Last edited:

MHubert

I think the geometry engine might benefit with changing the focal resolution fast enough

Tripolygon

Banned
Yes, specs-wise it is definitely better than Index which is understandable, one is much older than the other so we expect that sort of difference with tech advancement. The screen alone is a massive improvement in clarity, color, dynamic range, pixel density, pixel response due to OLED vs LCD. A 144Hz LCD does not match a 120Hz OLED in latency and pixel response times. The price will definitely undercut Index which a complete system costs $999 vs PSVR2 at no more than $499. If they are smart they would add PC support, if not I can see the PC community hacking in support since it is a single USB C cable this time.

Valve IndexPSVR2
Screen / Resolution / RefreshLCD 1440 x 1600 90Hz/120Hz/114HzOLED 2000 x 2040 90Hz/120Hz
Pixel Density598 PPI800+ PPI if 3 - 3.5 inch screen
FOV114110
HDRNoYes
Eye TrackingNoYes
LensDouble ElementFresnel
HapticsNoYes
IPDHardware AdjustableHardware Adjustable

Last edited:
Top Bottom