• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Todd Howard: Skyrim, Elder Scrolls 6, Fallout, and Starfield | Lex Fridman Podcast #342

LordOfChaos

When Todd tells him Starfield is exclusive:
Q1ChAaU.png

Loool I noticed that, "Lex's thoughts flit quickly back to his PS5"

nah. or i rather demand 60fps on consoles, which seem to have delivered plenty of better looking games in that framerate

any flagship game launching with 30fps only will get flak for it, happening all the time.
starfield is no exception .
no need for preemptive defence force
It will get flack for it, but I do think games in general will start returning to 30FPS on consoles at some point. For some, framerate is a priority, for others it’s really not. If it was I’d play games on PC. If we ever wanna see graphical leaps the level of like last of us 1 to last of us 2 - FPS will likely need to take a hit

Ozriel

M$FT
nah. or i rather demand 60fps on consoles, which seem to have delivered plenty of better looking games in that framerate

any flagship game launching with 30fps only will get flak for it, happening all the time.

All I’ve done is drop facts.

By all means, feel free to give the game a skip if it ships at 30fps.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
We've only seen a year and a half old alpha footage of the game so far. Let's let it come closer and for them to announce any performance modes before we pass judgment on these things.

treemk

Banned

No other games are delivering the size of world + amount of interactive objects + NPC AI while having better visuals, as Todd said in the interview they are will to sacrifice some visuals and fps to accomplish this.

Fredrik

No other games are delivering the size of world + amount of interactive objects + NPC AI while having better visuals, as Todd said in the interview they are will to sacrifice some visuals and fps to accomplish this.
Apparently they’re updating the position on everything and everyone in the world at all times, just less often the further away from the player they are, and the world is moving even when you’re still. And everything has physics and you can interact with it.
That got to eat resources. I wonder if this is why they’re using their own engine instead of something like Unreal Engine which is probably cleaning up the system resources for everything not on screen.

niilokin

Apparently they’re updating the position on everything and everyone in the world at all times, just less often the further away from the player they are, and the world is moving even when you’re still. And everything has physics and you can interact with it.
That got to eat resources. I wonder if this is why they’re using their own engine instead of something like Unreal Engine which is probably cleaning up the system resources for everything not on screen.
I thought Oblivion was pretty crazy in that regard, npcs stealing from each other and fights breaking out. Skyrim felt actually pretty passive with npc lives and Fallout 4 pretty much static IIRC... the notion of bandits arming themselves with shit found from treasure chests was pretty hilarious too.

Last edited:

treemk

Banned

I'm far from an expert but I'm guessing you could rig Unreal to do the same thing, I doubt it would run any better. The interactivity of the world and the NPC AI having their own life and schedule is a big part of what makes TES special to me and I'm sure a lot of other people. Starting to get hyped for Starfield.

I thought Oblivion was pretty crazy in that regard, npcs stealing from each other and fights breaking out. Skyrim felt actually pretty passive with npc lives and Fallout 4 pretty much static IIRC...

Yeah randomly stumbling on some crazy NPC interactions was awesome in Oblivion, I don't remember as much of that in Skyrim.

Last edited:

Fredrik

the notion of bandits arming themselves with shit found from treasure chests was pretty hilarious too.
Lol yeah that was hilarious, enemies armed to the teeth with the best weapons and empty loot chests everywhere 😆
Didn’t know enemies try to upgrade their weapons if something better is around, that’s cool.

LordOfChaos

I thought Oblivion was pretty crazy in that regard, npcs stealing from each other and fights breaking out. Skyrim felt actually pretty passive with npc lives and Fallout 4 pretty much static IIRC... the notion of bandits arming themselves with shit found from treasure chests was pretty hilarious too.

It's kind of funny to think about the fact that they deliberately don't, there's just these baller weapons and armors in chests and they're like naw, rusty iron sword

Last edited:
Top Bottom