• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ToeJam and Earl 3; my favorite cancelled game...whats yours?

VGEsoterica

Maybe not everyone spends as much time playing, locating and preserving game betas (I have zero to do with TJ&E) but because I do play a lot of betas for cancelled games I've realized that SOMETIMES a cancelled game suddenly becomes one of my favorite games to play. It's not often but occasionally I find or play something that I think would have 100% been amazing had it just been finished and released for everyone to play.

ToeJam and Earl 3 on Dreamcast totally slid into my top 10 Dreamcast games of all time list even if technically it's an unfinished beta that you can't actually "beat". It has all the charm of the original Genesis version except it has that awesome and nostalgic Dreamcast 3D look that I enjoyed the hell out of in high school.

Weirdly the Xbox version is somehow less fun than the Dreamcast beta. Some odd changes and maybe less visually appealing as it doesn't have that "Dreamcast look". Honestly in a lot of ways I'd rather play the Dreamcast beta than the finished Xbox version.

But it got me thinking...I can't be the only one who has a favorite cancelled game? Whether a beta leaked and was fun or just somewhere in your head you KNOW you'd have loved the game (Mother / Earthbound 64 for me...or the original version of D2 on the 3DO M2) had you just been able to play it!

So...what are your favorite cancelled games? lol maybe I'll find an awesome new beta I didn't even know existed

Last edited:

Ellery

On top of my head :

Silent Hills
Star Wars 1313
Deep Down
Prey 2
Scalebound
Resident Evil 1.5 (well the OG build that I would love to have seen)
Resident Evil 3.5 (see above)

engstra

Has to be Agent for me. The concept of a spy thriller set in the 60s sounded so cool. Shame the never saw the light of day.

VGEsoterica

On top of my head :

Silent Hills
Star Wars 1313
Deep Down
Prey 2
Scalebound
Resident Evil 1.5 (well the OG build that I would love to have seen)
Resident Evil 3.5 (see above)
funny I was JUST playing RE 1.5 a few days ago....and yes the more horror oriented versions of RE 4 they showed off seemed amazing. The hook man version? I wish that would leak

Quasicat

I was so excited when Skies of Arcadia 2 was originally announced for the PS2. There were never any pictures released from what I’ve ever seen, and Legends came out on the GameCube instead, but I was so excited to hear about it coming.
At this point, I just want to see Legends rereleased on modern consoles.

amigastar

I remember seeing Screenshots from Outcast 2 and its great graphics. But it was cancelled unfortunately.
outcast-2_2457964.jpg

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
that's why I love posting these threads and talking to people on here...I have NEVER heard that title until you mentioned it!

It was by the guys that made Harvest Moon. Think of Harvest Moon but fishing (fishing + RPG). The GBC ones were so good, so I was super excited for the N64 version.

Western release of Shining Force 3 scenario 2 and 3 for Saturn. Went and got the Japanese Roms with translation mod but never really played it

Labadal

Isometric, party-based, turn-based, D&D inspired, large scale crpg. It looked great, the combat demo showed a lot of promise, but the game is more or less dead.

MrA

Banned
How did Capcom screw that one up so badly? I mean it’s like they went out of their way to f it up. A modern Legends 3? Who wouldn’t want that
remember they made that bs excuse that no one signed up for a website they didn't really tell anyone about?
Western release of Shining Force 3 scenario 2 and 3 for Saturn. Went and got the Japanese Roms with translation mod but never really played it
you really should, but start with the fan retranslation of 1, since the western release of scenario 1 has the hapzard let's finish this because the next 2/3s aren't coming ending.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
From the maker of Total Annihilation, which is hands down one of the best RTS games ever made. I was so hyped for this one, and so disappointed when it was cancelled.

220px-Kings_and_Castles.jpg

Lethal01

Okay, now I'm totally on board. I thought they just completely remade the mega man character for this legends game.
Nah I think you just don't start as him since I think he was literally on the moon at the end of the last game.

Last edited:

NahaNago

Nah I think you just don't start as him since I think he was literally on the moon at the end of the last game.
Hmm, okay. I honestly don't remember mega man legends 2. I always hear folks saying it is the superior legends game but I guess it just wasn't that memorable for me.

remember they made that bs excuse that no one signed up for a website they didn't really tell anyone about?

you really should, but start with the fan retranslation of 1, since the western release of scenario 1 has the hapzard let's finish this because the next 2/3s aren't coming ending.
Oh wow, I didnt even know that. Thank you. I appreciate that advice and I am intrigued.

VGEsoterica

keep in mind saturn emulators are now actually usable as well, ssf could play the entire game at full speed the last time I played through it like 8 years ago
Yeah Saturn emulation has come a LONG way in the last couple years. To the point where it’s feasible to just use it vs hardware if you don’t have a console

Ocarina Of Time is great, but Ura-Zelda would have been mindblowing. Also, the Spaceworld 2000 Zelda demo. I love WW, but I'm sad we never got a third Hero Of Time game.

Donkey Kong Racing looked like the perfect successor to Diddy Kong Racing, my favorite kart racer not called Mario Kart.

It was just a tech demo, but Super Mario 128 has always fascinated me.

Edit; Mega Man Legends 3 and Universe looked awesome. I was also quite excited for the new Bonk game, but then Hudson got bought out by Konami, and yeah.

Last edited:

EruditeHobo

There was once a sizzle reel for a bonkers Japanese action game, somewhat DMC/Bayonette with lots of gunplay... and I can't find the clip anywhere anymore. Must have been around circa 2006/2007 or so, ostensibly a PS3/X360 project, but the only thing I remember is a big enemy tracking and firing a minigun at the user character as they ran along a brick wall.

Don't know if it turned into another game or what? I just assume it was cancelled, and I can't remember any other elements/details. Whatever the project was, it sort of slipped off my brain. The combat did look very fun and pretty unique at the time.

Feel like I dreamed it, at this point.

Havoc2049

Frame City Killers on the X360 was a good one. I was really looking forward to that. 😢

The Phantom Dust reboot on the Xbox One.

Going old school here, but the Atari XL/XE version of Gunship by Microprose and the Atari ST version of Pool of Radiance. Both versions were announced in early catalogs, but then canceled.
ad_french_heroes-of-the-lance-pool-of-radiance_2.jpg

Kuranghi

Also this

and this

I only found out about the EFNY game a few months back when I was rewatching the film in 4K (Straight from DVD on last watch as well because they fucked up the first 1080p release so badly I just didnt bother with it, I believe the source they used was akin to a VHS master in quality), looked pretty cool I agree!

I need to read up on this Thing 2 game though, I didn't get around to finishing the first game but I really appreciate how it tried to do something different with the equivalent of the blood testing scene happening as procedure in the game and how that affected the uniqueness of ones playthrough, if only it had the power of modern computing at its disposal to make it even more random and surprising.

Cheers for the link.

Top Bottom