• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Game Show 2020 physical event cancelled due to COVID-19 concerns | Digital event planned

Mista

Banned
TGS-2020-Cancelled_05-07-20.jpg

The Computer Entertainment Supplier’s Association has cancelled Tokyo Game Show 2020 due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. It would have run from September 24 to 27 at the Makuhari Messe in Chiba, Japan.

However, in place of the cancelled physical event, the Computer Entertainment Supplier’s Association plans to hold Tokyo Game Show 2020 online. More information will be announced starting late May.
Tokyo Game Show 2020 Cancelled A Physical Event Format to Prevent COVID-19 Spread but Planned to Be Held Online

Tokyo Game Show 2020, scheduled to be held from September 24 (Thurusday) to 27 (Sunday), 2020, is now planned to take place online. Tokyo Game Show 2020, which is usually held at Makuhari Messe, is cancelled. Tokyo Game Show 2020 is organized by the Computer Entertainment Supplier’s Association (CESA, Chairman: Hideki Hayakawa) and co-organized by Nikkei Business Publications, Inc. (President & CEO: Naoto Yoshida) and Dentsu Inc. (Representative Director: Hiroshi Igarashi).

Due to the outbreak of novel coronavirus (COVID-19) on a global scale and the situation remains unpredictable in Japan as well, the organizer and the co-organizers have reached this decision after a long consideration to place the utmost priority on the health and safety of visitors, exhibitors and stakeholders. We ask for your kind understanding and cooperation.

More information will be announced as needed on the official website and press releases from late May.
Gematsu

ranmafan

Not surprising at all, and it’s the right decision of course, but still very dissapointing. Was looking forward to finally going again this year after a long absence of going to the event. But safety must come first. Not sure how they are going to do a digital event, but hopefully they can pull it off.

Max_Po

Banned
I was playing Call of Duty ... on PS4 and a player just ran past me with nick name, [COVID-19] .... :messenger_mr_smith_who_are_you_going_to_call: ......

Last edited:

KàIRóS

Terrible news, I really wanted to see next gen japanese games, fuck this pandemic.

I hope we get news for Tales of Arise during the Summer Game Fest at least.

VALCON 82

Terrible news, I really wanted to see next gen japanese games, fuck this pandemic.

I hope we get news for Tales of Arise during the Summer Game Fest at least.
OH MY GOD YES!! i have been scouring and fiending for Tales of Arise news for way too long now..

YukiOnna

Sucks since TGS is a fun event to attend, but best to just keep it like this for this year. The amount of people that attend and the density of it all can be a disaster.

Moogle11

Banned
Not surprising. There aren’t going to be any big conferences until there’s a vaccine. Not worth the risk to have huge crowds when the vast majority of impact is people watching/following online anyway. The networking aMing industry staff is lost is lost I suppose, but more and more of that stuff happens remotely these days anyway as well.

D.Final

Banned
TGS-2020-Cancelled_05-07-20.jpg

The Computer Entertainment Supplier’s Association has cancelled Tokyo Game Show 2020 due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. It would have run from September 24 to 27 at the Makuhari Messe in Chiba, Japan.

However, in place of the cancelled physical event, the Computer Entertainment Supplier’s Association plans to hold Tokyo Game Show 2020 online. More information will be announced starting late May.

Gematsu

I'd hope for a cool digital event

Top Bottom