• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore coming to Switch on January 17, 2020

ranmafan

Unfortunately, I'm finding it hard to be optimistic about this release, when even the Japanese Nintendo Direct featured the censored cutscene clip of Aversa, the purple sphinx boss.

Since they're going so far as to add new content, I do wonder, if they're also just Frankenstein-ing together a single version of the game from various parts of the international & JP releases.

I was cheering so much at the news I didn’t even notice that in the Japanese video. Considering now we have confirmation that the Japanese version will have English too there’s a good chance it could be the international version. I don’t know how the fans here in Japan will take some of the changes. I could expect some anger from that for sure. Hopefully we won’t have to deal with that but I’m expecting the worst just in case. Watch they try to say it’s an “international version” in the PR if it is censored to justify it. Interestingly also I’ve noticed the rating is the same as before so we will just have to wait and see. Still I’m very happy the game is coming, but yeah I want all that western censorship far away from this game as possible, especially the Japanese cartridge.

Last edited:
I never finished it on WiiU, but it was good.

Honestly if they took out the censorship nonsense I'd probably rebuy, but there's way too many good games coming out to be supporting that idiocy.

Last edited:

ranmafan

What if I told this I enjoyed this more and it was more fun than Persona 5?

...and what if I told you it had better music?

As much as I love persona 5’s music, no question #fe’s music was so much better. Even better was the live concert in Tokyo they did that I got to see. An amazing two hours. Still bummed they never released that on Blu-Ray, especially since they had cameras filming it.

cm osi

The question is if we’re going to get the version Japan got for the Wii U or if it’s going to stay super censored...
do you really have to ask? of course it's the censored version, as shown in the trailer. strangely enough, even in the japanese direct they shown the western version

Zannegan

I've actually been waiting for this one, and in 2020 I should have time for another JRPG in my life.

Just to be contrarian, I'm actually more interested if it's the "censored" version. I've always found the otaku-bait stuff that has infested so many JRPGs sad and creepy rather than compelling, and given that they won't have the stones to actually explore the dark side of idol culture, I'd prefer not to have a sanitized (or should I say "censored") version of the sexy superstar story.

Sorry if that makes me a prude or reprobate or whatever.

Last edited:
Just to be contrarian, I'm actually more interested if it's the "censored" version. I've always found the otaku-bait stuff that has infested so many JRPGs sad and creepy rather than compelling, and given that they won't have the stones to actually explore the dark side of idol culture, I'd prefer not to have a sanitized (or should I say "censored") version of the sexy superstar story.
But it's still that "otaku-bait" game, just with a sloppily applied band-aid to cover those aspects up. If you don't like that kind of content, methinks there'd be a huge amount of other JRPGs (even on just the Switch) you can play without that stuff. It seems to be a core aspect of this particular game, so it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to cover it up.

Obviously you can prefer whatever you want. Personally I hope they give us the original version of the game and not the sloppily edited one.

I wonder what resolution and framerate the switch version will be pushing, can't wait for the Digital Foundry face off article for the game.

As a sidenote, with CEMU and a semi decent PC you can emulate the English release with the uncensored mod at 4k60fps locked right now!

Last edited:

Thurible

Probably not going to happen on Switch. I think it was either Eiji or Shigeru that mentioned due to the way the game was coded to work with the Wii Motion Plus it'd be a hard-sell to rework the combat just to port the game over. If it ever does come to Switch, it'd probably be with some radical changes to how the game plays.
:( Well thats unfortunate, but understandable.

It's just that Skyward Sword is the perfect game to remake and update to HD. It is kind of a black sheep title for it's controls and some people glossed it over because of how different it is. Having updated motion controls could go a long way to assuage people's fears of unresponsiveness (for me it worked just fine, but it did occassionally need to be recalibrated if things went a little wonky). Also, while the artstyle is beautiful, it is VERY blurry. Updating the textures would just make everything absolutely gorgeous.

Zero interest if it stays censored.

- make game targeted at weebs
- censor game, which weebs care about
- be surprised when game bombs

It might sell slightly better on Switch due to install base, but it probably (and hopefully) will bomb again nonetheless.

Graciaus

They would have to change alot to get me interested. Didn't like the cast, story, combat, and especially the upgrade system.

Good for those that never got a chance to play it though.

sublimit

Banned
Unpopular opinion incoming: :p

I have a WiiU but skipped this game because i didn't liked its overall art style and its gameplay looked too similar to Persona series (which i also don't like.) I also think this game got way more attention than it deserved due to the fact that there were so few JRPGs on WiiU.

But cool for those people that never had a WiiU and are interested in it.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Unpopular opinion incoming: :p

I have a WiiU but skipped this game because i didn't liked its overall art style and its gameplay looked too similar to Persona series (which i also don't like.) I also think this game got way more attention than it deserved due to the fact that there were so few JRPGs on WiiU.

But cool for those people that never had a WiiU and are interested in it.
In my opinion it’s was pretty damn fun game but if You don’t like Persona/SMT series, chances are you won’t like this either.

DonF

Question. I like what I saw, I like fire emblem, I hate the school/social parts of persona games.

How heavy is the social aspect of this game ?

Ulysses 31

Question. I like what I saw, I like fire emblem, I hate the school/social parts of persona games.

How heavy is the social aspect of this game ?
They're more like one time side quests to unlock extra abilities with that characters and learn a bit more about their personality, you don't have to keep visiting them to built up anything like in Persona.

Last edited:
I was cheering so much at the news I didn’t even notice that in the Japanese video. Considering now we have confirmation that the Japanese version will have English too there’s a good chance it could be the international version. I don’t know how the fans here in Japan will take some of the changes. I could expect some anger from that for sure. Hopefully we won’t have to deal with that but I’m expecting the worst just in case. Watch they try to say it’s an “international version” in the PR if it is censored to justify it. Interestingly also I’ve noticed the rating is the same as before so we will just have to wait and see. Still I’m very happy the game is coming, but yeah I want all that western censorship far away from this game as possible, especially the Japanese cartridge.
With all of Nintendo's Japanese pages for the game (including the online store entry) pointing to the YouTube trailer with the censored Aversa clip, it's safe to assume that alteration is likely making it into the final game. The various Japanese promotional copy also pushes the notion of the game having new elements, which is to say any changes can be explained by this being more than a simple remaster. I noticed the retained CERO, as well. Japan's ratings board is somewhat notorious for having randomly fluctuating standards, leaving the possibility open that content alterations were necessary to retain the "B" rating.

What's potentially interesting about the Japanese game having English-language support listed is that Nintendo went so far as to have certain lines of dialogue rerecorded for the Western versions to match the English script. I'm really curious to see if Aversa is simply a quirk, an oddly retained piece of censorship, or whether this game is some mishmash of original Japanese content and Western alterations. On a potential bright side, an image from the game's Japanese site suggests at least one of Tsubasa's outfits will be featured in its original form: link.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
My purchase revolves around it being censored or not, If it is no buy... I mean christ they gave up an entire DLC because they couldn't figure out how to make it E for Everyone...

Treehouse was the biggest travesty to happen to Nintendo it's good that there not used as often as they where.

Sadly the footage in the trailer was from the censored version, the dark smoke all over that one ladys tits where the giveaway.

Last edited:

Smasher89

Hopefully it gets qol uodates, traveling to tiki mid quest just to be able to gain exp for a weapon or what it was was bad for the pacing. Didnt finish it and still want the gsmepad earphone update.

McRazzle

Probably not going to happen on Switch. I think it was either Eiji or Shigeru that mentioned due to the way the game was coded to work with the Wii Motion Plus it'd be a hard-sell to rework the combat just to port the game over. If it ever does come to Switch, it'd probably be with some radical changes to how the game plays.
Nvidia ported Super Mario Galaxy to the Shield in China, so it's possible.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
The censorship made me not wanted to buy this game for the wii-u, so I hope the switch version is uncensored.

Yeah, same. It's not that it makes much of a difference to my enjoyment how much clothes people are wearing, but having shit cencored away from be because some idiot somewhere decided I can't handle it, kinda pisses me off enough to not reward that with my money.

There are more games I want to play than I have time for, so it's not like it's a tough call to make.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Eventually nintendo is going to run out of wiiu games to re release at msrp on the switch and have to actually start making new games.
This entire year Switch releasing new games like Astral Chain, and Fire Emblem Three Houses and upcoming Daemon X Machina and Luigi’s Mansion 3 and Link’s Awakening! What’s wrong with releasing some great games from past consoles? I still wish Switch would get games like Wonderful 101 and Pandora’s Tower port for Switch.

ranmafan

With all of Nintendo's Japanese pages for the game (including the online store entry) pointing to the YouTube trailer with the censored Aversa clip, it's safe to assume that alteration is likely making it into the final game. The various Japanese promotional copy also pushes the notion of the game having new elements, which is to say any changes can be explained by this being more than a simple remaster. I noticed the retained CERO, as well. Japan's ratings board is somewhat notorious for having randomly fluctuating standards, leaving the possibility open that content alterations were necessary to retain the "B" rating.

What's potentially interesting about the Japanese game having English-language support listed is that Nintendo went so far as to have certain lines of dialogue rerecorded for the Western versions to match the English script. I'm really curious to see if Aversa is simply a quirk, an oddly retained piece of censorship, or whether this game is some mishmash of original Japanese content and Western alterations. On a potential bright side, an image from the game's Japanese site suggests at least one of Tsubasa's outfits will be featured in its original form: link.

Yeah right now the signs are pointing to at least a few changes maybe getting by and staying. Hopefully Nintendo will clarify it in the coming weeks once they start to do more pr for it especially in Japanese magazines. Perhaps we will see something in next weeks famitsu or one of the Nintendo releated magazines shortly. If they keep all the western changes in the game, gamers here in Japan are not going to like it. Still crossing my fingers but especially considering this release is multilanguage and all, and the video evidence, it’s going to be a long wait till we find out. It’s not the end of the world if it does get these annoyances, and watch they make it a feature of it being a part of the “encore,” but it would be nice of Nintendo to roll back on one of their recent mistakes. And also Japanese gamers shouldn’t have to have such a version pushed on them.

I’m still super excited though. This falling just behind Shenmue 3 in nov. and Sakura Taisen in dec, it’s like three gaming wishes all same true this year for me.

Gargus

Banned
This entire year Switch releasing new games like Astral Chain, and Fire Emblem Three Houses and upcoming Daemon X Machina and Luigi’s Mansion 3 and Link’s Awakening! What’s wrong with releasing some great games from past consoles? I still wish Switch would get games like Wonderful 101 and Pandora’s Tower port for Switch.

Nothing is wrong with it, but the first 2 years that's all they did really was just re release wiiu games. And no, they weren't all great like treasure tracker or Mario tennis. But even ones that were good were still not that old.

And nintendo isn't making astral chain and daemon x. Those arent made by nintendo. Links awakening is a remake or another nintendo game and Luigi's mansion is another sequel.

I dont hate nintendo but they just rarely do anything new. And when they do it's like arms or 123 switch where they just toss out something and forget it, then go right back to just churning out the same old franchises over and over and over again. They are a company of no ideas.

Hopefully Nintendo will clarify it in the coming weeks once they start to do more pr for it especially in Japanese magazines.
I expect we'll only get statements on the content from Nintendo of Japan, if a significant amount of the Western alterations are being retained, especially since the Japanese press is usually less inclined to request comments on things like why a character suddenly has smoke covering her breasts. Either way, with the game hitting in a relatively short amount of time, I'm thinking the routine press & marketing blitz will give us a good idea about the Japanese release, sooner rather than later.

fix some clear dificinces in the localisation like, say, for example, those in battle phrases not being translated.

I'm a big fan of the game, but I have to admit this really bothered me. Persona Q2 has the same problem where the main battle narration is subtitled, but the character's respond to it with only Japanese audio.

The censorship made me not wanted to buy this game for the wii-u, so I hope the switch version is uncensored.

I would be very excited for an uncensored version, but...we're dreaming right? After all the effort they put into censoring the game for the west, including recording new Japanese audio to fit a censored storyline, what's their incentive to go back and fix it now?

As much as I love persona 5’s music, no question #fe’s music was so much better. Even better was the live concert in Tokyo they did that I got to see. An amazing two hours. Still bummed they never released that on Blu-Ray, especially since they had cameras filming it.

That sounds incredible. I remember for the end credits of the game the heroes all sing a song together, it was quite beautiful.

I dont hate nintendo but they just rarely do anything new. And when they do it's like arms or 123 switch where they just toss out something and forget it, then go right back to just churning out the same old franchises over and over and over again. They are a company of no ideas.

You actually do have a point, but it's a small point and you're blowing it up by exaggerating it way too much. They're not a company of no ideas, nor are they just "churning out" the same franchises. There's a lot of reinvention that goes on within those franchises. Mario Galaxy is not the same thing as Mario 64, which is not the same thing as Mario World, just because they all star Mario. Breath of the Wild isn't just another Zelda like Twilight Princess just because they are the same franchise, there's a ton of innovation and rethinking of how the series works. It's the same franchise, but it's a whole new take. The new Fire Emblem that came out just now isn't just the same old Fire Emblem, it's got drastic new changes that make it a different experience from past titles.

Compare them to other publishers like ubisoft, who released an Assassin's Creed game with minor variants every single year until they drove the series into the ground. Now that's churning out the same franchise. Nintendo could release a main entry in the Mario or Zelda series every year, but they have the restraint to not churn out the same thing.

On the other hand, it's true that completely new IP from nintendo is rare. It obviously takes a lot just to keep up with the demand for new entries in popular franchises, and since nintendo doesn't churn them out but instead takes the time to refine or reinvent its big titles, the wait between them can be quite long, and those gaps are getting filled with ports and remasters. As to the extent to which this is a good or bad thing... it's kind of mixed. At a certain point seeing a huge list of games you played a few years ago leaves you with a distinctly "un-new" feeling, but I'm also very happy when a game I loved which few people got to experience gets to be played by a large new audience, and sometimes the enhancements that get made to the title make it worth going back and playing it again. Hopefully that will be the case with Tokyo Mirage Sessions.

Last edited:

ranmafan

I expect we'll only get statements on the content from Nintendo of Japan, if a significant amount of the Western alterations are being retained, especially since the Japanese press is usually less inclined to request comments on things like why a character suddenly has smoke covering her breasts. Either way, with the game hitting in a relatively short amount of time, I'm thinking the routine press & marketing blitz will give us a good idea about the Japanese release, sooner rather than later.

Yeah I don’t expect, but I will be happy to see, an interview where it’s talked about. But I do expect that a magazine when they show the pr stuff to say something like “based on the international version”, and then we will know we are screwed. But let’s hope we get surprised in a good way. The fans here in Japan will be in a huge uproar otherwise

That sounds incredible. I remember for the end credits of the game the heroes all sing a song together, it was quite beautiful.

Oh yeah that was the opening song too! Amazing concert.

Aranea

From the looks of it the Japanese region will receive the uncensored version. Someone on Twitter made a comparison after checking out the screenshots from the official Switch website. Whenever or not the western version is censored is something we don't known yet.

ranmafan

From the looks of it the Japanese region will receive the uncensored version. Someone on Twitter made a comparison after checking out the screenshots from the official Switch website. Whenever or not the western version is censored is something we don't known yet.

That’s cool to see and very good news. Hopefully more confirmation comes. My big worry is what if both versions are on the cartridge and whatever language you pick is what version you get. It would be crazy for that to happen, but I wouldn’t be surprised. Let’s hope the good news continues.

While minor, figured this was worth a bump, since it plays into the question of how Nintendo plans to handle the content differences, between the Wii's original Japanese release and the censored overseas versions. As people might remember, trailers for the game in all regions presented clips of the censored version of the Aversa character.

When Nintendo opened the Japanese website for the game, the below image of Tsubasa was on the page, appearing to show her wearing the Japanese version of this outfit, which featured a bikini top.

q6mIqqK.png

Below is image that is now on the Japanese website, which suggests the character is wearing the international version of the outfit that changed the bikini into a crop top, covering the character's cleavage.

qBiLRcd.jpg

Possibly (hopefully) the game will offer the ability to mix-and-match content from the original JP release and the western versions of the game, but I'm leaning towards the Switch edition being largely--or entirely--based on the censored international release.

Top Bottom