• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore Review Thread

Mista

Banned
H2x1_NSwitch_TokyoMirageSessionsFEEncore_image1600w.jpg

Eurogamer: No Recommendation
Unable to combine the best of two beloved series, this JRPG can't really find its focus.

Metro GameCentral: 7/10
It doesn't have the depth of standalone Persona and Fire Emblem games, but this is a fun crossover that will please followers of both, and Japanese role-playing fans in general.

USgamer: 4/5
Whatever you think of port-begging, it's justified with Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore. Not only does #FE Encore give us a chance to play a great game that was overlooked on the Wii U, but it also adds a new dungeon, new songs, and content that was previously DLC. A lot of new Persona fans have been minted since #FE's initial release in 2015, and this is one song they should all enjoy.

TheSixthAxis: 9/10
Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore feels particularly timely. The world hasn't been the brightest, most hopeful place in recent years, but leading a team of cheerful, committed teen pop idols against demonic entities makes it feel that much brighter. This is a game that's dedicated to hope for the future, and that creativity is an integral component of that. I'm willing to believe them too.

God is a Geek: 8.5/10
Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore is a fantastic JRPG that could have been better technically and when it comes to localisation.

Wccftech: 8.2/10
Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE Encore is definitely the definitive version of the game - who needs the Wii U GamePad, anyway? JRPG fans and those who love idol culture will find a lot to love here, but this certainly won't convert anyone who hasn't liked JRPGs in the past, like Persona 5 and other games might. A great title to have in your Nintendo Switch library.

DualShockers: 9/10
Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore is a one-of-a-kind JRPG that has found a new home on the Nintendo Switch.

Press Start: 6/10
Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore features some much-needed quality of life improvements, as well as a strong opening and novel combat. But, ultimately, tedious dungeon design and unrefined boss battles that plagued the original remain and prevent Encore from being the improvement it could be.

Twinfinite: 4/5
While I never found myself all that engaged by the story or its characters –both integral parts in an RPG– I did enjoy the little interludes in between main missions. There are catchy song performances and music videos to bop to, along with cutesy outfits to put on your characters as you progress further.

COGconnected: 76/100
If you must prepare for this game, then prepare to be exhausted, elated, and energized. I found the Persona/Fire Emblem mix to be a bit unbalanced for my tastes, with too much tough and not quite enough touching. Still, under the layers of glitter, music, and misery, there’s a rock-solid JRPG to be found. If any of these disparate ingredients caught your eye, then Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore will almost certainly keep you hooked.

OpenCritic: 82
avEM9wb.png

MetaCritic: 79
QDyNodn.png

Last edited:

Doom85

I blame FFX-2 for creating a pop idol jrpg fandom.

At least they have some variety in outfits. When we get the male pop group (oh, I'm sorry, the totally official outfits of the Prince and his guards) in FF XV, suddenly everybody has to wear the exact same fucking thing. Thrilling!

Reactions: Isa

DESTROYA

Looking good, this is one game I was looking into buying on the Wii U but for whatever reason didn’t , will give the Switch version a try .

Last edited:

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
I liked the original a lot actually. Don't have time to play this version, backlog is crazy enough as it is, but if you want a Persona-lite with lots of charm, this is your jam.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Is this game, like persona. but with idols?
The combat feels a lot like it, there's idolasphere's, each with a theme instead of palaces. Outside of combat there's some optional side quests to unlock abilities of side characters and no time limit to complete dungeons. No grind to improve rep with characters.

Last edited:

fepeinado

Neo Member
I've played through the game's prologue yesterday and I really enjoyed what I've seen so far. I'll certainly continue to play it

I'm personally a big fan of this game and enjoy it's "persona lite" style, fire emblem elements and Japanese talent industry themes. The art style was particularly nice with lots of great little touches.

The double censorship whammy is tough to bear though. Also the characters are subbed, but their in-battle banter isn't - the things they say as they cast spells and perform attacks have no subtitles.

dottme

I hope this game will do better on Switch than WiiU. I really like it on WiiU.

But I’m not double dipping as they didn’t fix the localisation at all. They didn’t even try to modify it in a cleaner way. 😟

RPGCrazied

Yeah, probably stick with the Wii U version. Specially if there is no resolution increase. This couldn't run at 1080p on the switch?

Last edited:

Carna

Banned
What I mean is, does this game go into talking about the problems of the Japanese idol industry, like how persona 5 talked about the problems with Japanese society.

dottme

Kinda, it went into getting pressured into doing swimsuit/gravure modelling in the 2nd act and it was a dungeon theme but that got changed for us westerners.
Which make the localization even weirder. It looks like they didn’t understood the message.

But even out of this, the game criticizes the idol industry several time here and there. For sure, it doesn’t give it a free pass.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
This game should have never been related to a Nintendo property and would have been infinitely better. Hell it should even be related to SMT.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Outside of the character cameos it was neither Fire Emblem or SMT. If it hadn't bee related to FE it would have been a better game. So cope EXCLUSIVELY on 720p and censored. :)
I personally very much enjoyed the game when first came out on WiiU and I’m gonna enjoy this one as well.

Also we are getting mainline SMT on Switch later on, so there is nothing wrong with spinoff like this once a while.

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
Is this game, like persona. but with idols?
Tokyo Mirage actually has interesting dungeons, battles and mechanics. However, it does not have a very interesting or engaging story.

Might start on insane difficulty this time!
Pretty sure you need to beat the game to unlock Insane.

I have been playing the game a bit and the gamepad has really been integrated in 5 minutes behind a button. Really not clean, text is too small. Otherwise the loading times are extremely short, that's pretty great.

mejin

I personally very much enjoyed the game when first came out on WiiU and I’m gonna enjoy this one as well.

Also we are getting mainline SMT on Switch later on, so there is nothing wrong with spinoff like this once a while.

I hope SMT V is not censored too.

Danjin44

Catherine Full Body came out and it didn’t got censored and from Nintendo side, Xenoblade 2 didn’t get visually censored either. This game was special case for some reason, maybe they try to keep “T” rating. All mainline SMT/Persona are rated “M” so we don’t have to worry about getting censored.

Animagic

Banned
I had this on WiiU and it was just ok. It’s hard for me to understand the fervor for this game outside of people not wanting to “miss out”.

I will say the character models are nice. I didn’t really like anything else about it.
The positive scores are surprising, honestly.

Last edited:

Danjin44

I had this on WiiU and it was just ok. It’s hard for me to understand the fervor for this game outside of people not wanting to “miss out”.

I will say the character models are nice. I didn’t really like anything else about it.
For me the combat is absolute blast, it’s one of favourite incarnation of press turn combat and story might not be as interesting as mainline SMT/Persona but characters are charming.

D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
Tokyo Mirage actually has interesting dungeons, battles and mechanics. However, it does not have a very interesting or engaging story.

Compared to SMT IV, Strange Journey, Soul Hackers, or some of the Etrian Odyssey games, dungeons are like extremely cool visually but also extremely repetitive in level design.

Really? Character models are a low point for me.

They look like they belong to a Falcom game. The rest of the game (Tokyo, all the dungeons like i said, the cutscenes,...) look nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
If it ever comes out. I'm wondering if even half of my favorite demons will make the 3d jump...(or if they will just rip the demons from the phone game)

Animagic

Banned
Compared to SMT IV, Strange Journey, Soul Hackers, or some of the Etrian Odyssey games, dungeons are like extremely cool visually but also extremely repetitive in level design.

Really? Character models are a low point for me.

They look like they belong to a Falcom game. The rest of the game (Tokyo, all the dungeons like i said, the cutscenes,...) look nice.
Oh lol I like Falcon games. That explains it 😂😂😂

Top Bottom