• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Henderson: Activision to Delay next CoD, No CoD in 2023

kingfey

Banned
Just to you guys understand.

Bloomberg has the public site.
And the Bloomberg Terminal.

Bloomberg Terminal is like a paywall site where the news are posted before go to public site… Tom probably got the info from somebody that has access to Bloomberg Terminal… you need to pay for it (it is more like a subscription).
It was from this tweet.

EDMIX

Another reason why they were selling the company. No COD in 2023 and all the studios are stuck supporting Vanguard and Warzone.

Kotick knew before he got that fat cheque 😅

lol likely.

This sounds like it was something that was always going to happen as to my understanding that MS buyout is not finalized yet.

IS this MS ownership effect?

no.

Lognor Lognor "Do we know for certain how long that runs?" Its game by game. They don't just set a date or something as anyone could just delay past it lol

So its likely a certain number of games and the date is only with the concept that those games release on time, as in for 5 years, IF NO DELAYS or something, those clauses exist for a reason as clearly Sony is paying for something and Activision is getting something too, thus they both understand those terms are not either ors, but both. As in 4 games, 5 years, if pushed to 6 years the deal goes by game count or something like that.

I'm highly doubtful either company just gave a date for millions in such a loose way that you could just delay a game to avoid it or some shit. I don't even think we've ever seen any deal in gaming that was based on something odd like that btw.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned

if you cant read the article, due to paywall.​

Activision to Delay Next Year’s Planned Call of Duty Game​

Activision Blizzard Inc. will delay a Call of Duty game that had been planned for next year, the first time the franchise will be without an annual mainline release in nearly two decades, according to people familiar with the plan.

The company is pushing off the release after a recent entry in the series failed to meet expectations, leading some executives to believe that they’re introducing new versions too rapidly, said the people, who asked not to be identified because they weren’t authorized to discuss the deliberations. The decision was not related to Activision’s agreement to sell itself to Microsoft Corp. for $69 billion, the people said.

Activision is working on other projects to fill the gap next year. A Call of Duty game set to come out this fall will receive a steady stream of additional content, and there will be a new, free-to-play online title next year, said the people. Treyarch, the Activision-owned studio working on the now-delayed game, will also help with the free-to-play title, the people said.

A spokesman for Activision didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment. The shares declined as much as 1.4% in extended trading Tuesday on the news.

The delay will have a massive effect on the video game industry. Every fall since 2005, Activision has put out a new, premium entry in the lucrative shooting series. Call of Duty games regularly top yearly sales charts and have sold more than 400 million units since the series began in 2003.

Last year’s entry, Call of Duty: Vanguard, failed to meet Activision’s sales expectations, leading executives to suspect that it had been cannibalized by the previous year’s game. A free-to-play version released in 2020, Call of Duty: Warzone, remains a massive success and may have drawn players away from the premium entries.

Activision remains autonomous, and Microsoft could decide to change these plans after the acquisition, which is expected to be finalized by the summer of 2023 pending approval from regulators.

Call of Duty games are developed by a rotating stable of Activision’s development studios. This year’s entry, a new Modern Warfare game, will be made by Woodland Hills, California-based Infinity Ward. Bloomberg earlier reported that Activision executives were seriously considering skipping a year of Call of Duty.

Just to you guys understand.

Bloomberg has the public site.
And the Bloomberg Terminal.

Bloomberg Terminal is like a paywall site where the news are posted before go to public site… Tom probably got the info from somebody that has access to Bloomberg Terminal… you need to pay for it (it is more like a subscription).

Edit - Most of the paid users from Bloomberg Terminal are stock market companies that wants to have access asap to these reports.
What the heck I had no idea Jason released stuff to the terminal first, I have access to one through work so I'll have to check this out tomorrow.

kingfey

Banned
lol likely.

This sounds like it was something that was always going to happen as to my understanding that MS buyout is not finalized yet.

no.
It must be. Usually when a company buys another company, unless there is a contract, they will ask for something.

MS must have put this on their clause. Since MS is 99.99 sure the deal is done.

Activision wont delay COD, or else vanguard would have been delayed.

//DEVIL//

“Tom Henderson just ripped this from another source (as he often does). My story is on the Bloomberg Terminal and will be live on the web shortly.”

This FakeTom has no shame at all.
or maybe that cry man baby jason got mad because Tom got the news from somewhere else out before him

Another reason why they were selling the company. No COD in 2023 and all the studios are stuck supporting Vanguard and Warzone.

Kotick knew before he got that fat cheque 😅
Or you know Microsoft made all this knowingly that they don’t want to publish two PlayStation cod full releases and rather just do 2 till the contract is up given how stupid they look with ghost wire and deathloop. Which goes to my point Microsoft only wants their live service games on those platforms not the full game.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Didn’t the last COD get a bunch of hate for having a lot of bugs and just not being that good? Maybe they want to regroup from that and the bad activision press and getting settled with MS. 🤷‍♂️

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Lol. I hope Jason doesn't spill his soy latte while having his bitch fit.

Well, it was Jason who went through what I assume is a rigorous verification process as a journalist and wrote an article. For Tom to just go and ship a 140 characters or less tweet about it without citing the source is just awful. And his response to Jason's opposition was even worse.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Didn’t the last COD get a bunch of hate for having a lot of bugs and just not being that good? Maybe they want to regroup from that and the bad activision press and getting settled with MS. 🤷‍♂️

Yes, also just give your developers a little of more fucking time to get a better game out rather than the rinse and repeat annual churn.

This is nothing but good news for the franchises prospect.

ethomaz

Banned
or maybe that cry man baby jason got mad because Tom got the news from somewhere else out before him
The news come from Bloomberg… Tom confirmed that lol
He read a tweet from a stock market company with the Source Bloomberg and shared it like it was his own leak lol

I have no idea how you guys can defense FakeTom after all his bullshits lol

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
They mostly likely pays for Bloomberg Terminal.

BTW Jason himself explained better… if I saw before I should have posted his tweet instead to explain in a post.

BTW Sony Bungie deal was on Terminal when the talk fired up but the source was preserved.

That could be the case.

MDSLKTR

Is Jason's article up for viewing yet?

k608Pd6.jpg

EDMIX

It must be. Usually when a company buys another compa
yea no.

The deal has not been finished yet, that shit won't complete until 2023.
Or you know Microsoft made all this knowingly that they don’t want to publish two PlayStation cod full releases and rather just do 2 till the contract is up given
??? None of that makes any sense what so ever lol

The marketing deal is for a set number of games, they can't just delay or not put the games out to avoid it as they likely have a performance clause, as in you are paid to do something, avoiding it doesn't mean you can wait it out as I don't think most of you have ever been in such deals before lol I don't really even get why gamers seem to think in this odd absolute either or way lol When I got into listing contracts for buildings, homes, hotels etc, normally for homes it was 6 months, for buildings it would a year, that didn't fucking mean I could do NOTHING for that time and still be off the hook, the 6 months or year is with the understanding something is BEING DONE, it doesn't fucking mean a date passes and I can do nothing, I must actually still do the thing I was hired to do, so gamers need to get this.

Even if it stated they had a 5 year deal, it was likely for a set number of games, in the event that the game was delayed the deal would extend etc. That is how a lot of that shit works and I've never been in any fucking deal worth hundreds of millions, like...low millions, but not like 100 fucking million or something, so I highly doubt it was that loose as that doesn't really make a whole lot of sense.

The next thing to note is that buyout is not done till 2023. So MS made none of this.

Second thing to not is MS has already stated this about when the deal is actually even done

Lognor Lognor They likely just mean its a set number of games, until 2024 unless a game is delayed and it can be pushed to 2025. As in, if they had a deal for 5 games, they still need to honor those 5 games, if it gets delayed, then they can push the deal to a different year in that event.

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
It doesn't matter, it's still a bullshit move. Sounds like Tom received tip from some other Bloomberg staff, he effectively admits this. In that scenario, you should source the news agency.

I believe Bloomberg works with paywall… so it is not open to non payers yet.

But that doesn’t change anything… FakeTom tried to be the “insider” lol
I normally shit on Schreier but really was wondering if he had something timestamped and apparently he did. The one time I was serious 😂

Lognor

Banned
Okay thanks. On CNN it specifically said 2024 without mention of the number of games. This is more clear. So now it's at minimum through 2025 COD games will be on PS4/5.

Mr Moose

Found it. So it says it runs until 2024. Are they just assuming it was one game per year so 3 more games to get through 2024? Or is it 2024, regardless of the number of games released? CNN is not clear on this.
I'm assuming it'll be extended by a year if this delay happens, though MicroSoft is interested in extending the deal for future releases. I think it was NBC that originally reported it.

A.Romero

I don't like Jason but I think Tom did behave like an ass. I have the perception that Tom is seldom right. The latest I remember is he announcing BF2042 would go F2P and promising news a few days later.

On topic: I think 2022 will do just fine without CoD. To be honest, it gets easier to make this decisions knowing your company is already sold and the results are basically someone else's concern. Also it seems that it's almost impossible to be fired as an ABK exec.

I believe it is how these that write to Bloomberg do… it needs to pass first on Terminal.

But I’m not sure… just guessing.
Yeah that makes sense, I just never put 2 and 2 together that Jason works for Bloomberg and therefore would have gaming stuff on there.

I should probably mess around in general and see what other gaming news is on there.

Louay

Yeah you won't see COD day and date on GP until 2026/2027 unless MS break the contract.
BTW do Sony have Marketing for Wazone ? i know they have Marketing for Main games, but Warzone 2 it will be it's own standalone game. MS might get something from Warzone 2.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Jason being upset someone leaked his scoop is hilarious. The irony there is astounding.

On topic, this is a good thing imo. Modern warfare II will get a longer tail hopefully as the cut the first one off way too soon.

//DEVIL//

The news come from Bloomberg… Tom confirmed that lol
He read a tweet from a stock market company with the Source Bloomberg and shared it like it was his own leak lol

I have no idea how you guys can defense FakeTom after all his bullshits lol
I don't like either I was joking lol

Lognor

Banned
Yeah you won't see COD day and date on GP until 2026/2027 unless MS break the contract.
BTW do Sony have Marketing for Wazone ? i know they have Marketing for Main games, but Warzone 2 it will be it's own standalone game. MS might get something from Warzone 2.
Yeah, I didn't think about the fact that new COD games won't be on Game Pass day one, even after the acquisition due to the marketing rights belonging to Sony. Damn! Well, I assume that's the case that Sony would not allow Activision/Microsoft to engage in any other promotional offer, such as Game Pass, outside of the PS ecosystem. If there is one contract to breach, that would be it! Xbox owners are not going to want to hear that they can't play the newest COD on Game Pass because Sony moneyhatted the game. Hopefully Microsoft and Sony can work something out so the new COD game appears on Game Pass day one (after the acquisition is finalized).

KaiserBecks

I‘m glad our armchair CEOs have already figured this one out. It‘s just some weird coincidence that the yearly franchise is postponing a game a year before it’s even announced. It has nothing to do with exclusitivity. After all the president of Microsoft (lol) said so himself. Well not clearly but kind of! Everything is fine you guys!

HTK

Banned
As a CoD Head this is a great move. MW2 and Warzone 2 are like a reset button this year, new tech, new Warzone experience with a fresh start. No need for a CoD next year. This time around hopefully they have learned all the issues from Warzone and have a better approach to live service.

For example, each Warzone integration was a nightmare for the players and developers. It just got too convoluted and it was hurting the experience.

Also, for weapon kits don't make them base in attachments but rather the weapon itself.

I‘m glad our armchair CEOs have already figured this one out. It‘s just some weird coincidence that the yearly franchise is postponing a game a year before it’s even announced. It has nothing to do with exclusitivity. After all the president of Microsoft (lol) said so himself. Well not clearly but kind of! Everything is fine you guys!

We've just learned it's due to the franchise's decline. Not that a delay would get them out of exclusivity lmao. It'd obviously be covered in the contract

EDMIX

I don't like Jason but I think Tom did behave like an ass. I have the perception that Tom is seldom right. The latest I remember is he announcing BF2042 would go F2P and promising news a few days later.

Agreed and we've yet to hear shit about that. Even when Tom talked about it, it was long after EA already hinted at it. He only even brought it up as some fucking reactionary thing to 2042, it was already talked about before it even released.

So I don't buy everything this man states and it seems like many times he is just say what he THINKS might be correct or just guessing. Its not to say he doesn't have his sources, but it sounds like who ever he has, doesn't know shit so he has to fake shit or make something sound more then what it is etc.

but I've seen both Jason and Tom do that, like add in all this other information with little source just to fluff up a piece or something, so I take what they say many times with a grain of salt until I hear a bit more.

McHuj

Even if the story is behind a paywall, means that many, many people know about it. For one, probably most of the devs working on the title.

This isn’t some scoop that only a few people would be privy too.

Schrier is acting like a little bitch here.

EDMIX

Even if the story is behind a paywall, means that many, many people know about it. For one, probably most of the devs working on the title.

This isn’t some scoop that only a few people would be privy too.

Schrier is acting like a little bitch here.

I disagree.

I'd argue that even more so questions why he didn't cite a source and tried to pass it off as his own or some shit.

kingfey

Banned
But wouldn't it be too late to reverse for a 2023 release?
As long as it doesnt have release date, it could change. Only thing that has issues changing is the release date. Because of the marketing and other media events. It would be financial risk to do it.

Top Bottom