• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Henderson: Activision to Delay next CoD, No CoD in 2023

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I really hope MS lets Activision do things other than crank out COD every year. I know it's always a top seller but damn. They have so many talented devs and dormant IPs. Vicarious Visions could be their Bluepoint. I want a Fable 2 remake.

Old Retro

I would have welcomed the 2 year cycle when Sledgehammer started making shitty games. Should have skipped them all together.

If MW2 2 reboot or whatever is the final COD to be released on a Playstation console, it was a good run. Will probably be my last COD.

michael-jordan-mj.gif

Louay

I would have welcomed the 2 year cycle when Sledgehammer started making shitty games. Should have skipped them all together.

If MW2 2 reboot or whatever is the final COD to be released on a Playstation console, it was a good run. Will probably be my last COD.

michael-jordan-mj.gif
it will stay multiplat but don't expect on Spartucs or any other streaming service. Streaming is new field having COD and Minecraft as exclusive for Xcloud is huge for MS

Rippa

Delaying battlefield a year didn’t help shit.

I’d laugh if the same occurred with COD and it’s dog shit iterations of the past 2 years.

Louay

Delaying battlefield a year didn’t help shit.

I’d laugh if the same occurred with COD and it’s dog shit iterations of the past 2 years.
State of Dice in the mud right now, they lost Devs after 2016, IW and Tryarch are in better state than Dice, as for sledgehammer though phil might need to pull them from COD.

i expect MW2 this year to be big.

Lupin25

Taking this route makes sense, but if we’re headed toward leap years for COD I wonder if one of those devs (besides Infinity Ward), will be dropped from making mainline games in the future?

No one is going to want to wait twice as long for Infinity Ward’s next iterations (well at least I won’t lol).

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Sales in decline, popularity waning. Don’t want to be that that guy but Cold War was garbo and worst of all, kinda buggy. Vanguard smells like major dud, can’t even tell a COD released.

They don’t want three stinkers in a row.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Sales in decline, popularity waning. Don’t want to be that that guy but Cold War was garbo and worst of all, kinda buggy. Vanguard smells like major dud, can’t even tell a COD released.

For me Cold War was decent, but it came after Modern Warfare, which was really good. Vanguard, judging from the beta, was dog shit so I skipped it. Sledgehammer are the weakest CoD devs, they get worse and worse.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
There could never be another COD game and I would be perfectly fine by it. They have beat that franchise to death!

nemiroff

Gold Member
It was so weird the way they sort of decommissioned MW2019 for Cold War (although its Zombies was fucking awesome, and even the campaign was nice).. So this is kinda good news to me.

jorgejjvr

Would suck, treyarch games are the only ones I look forward to, I still play cold war

But I guess if it means it's next Gen exclusive and better..

ethomaz

Banned

Seems like Vaguard was the first CoD in decades to not break $1b… I saw posted on Twitter but didn’t save the link.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
He ripped it from Jason Schreier's Bloomberg Terminal post, who very much does know these things.

Yeah, name your sources like Jason does whenever he writes a hit job on a Dev Studio. He always names the employees giving him the dirt -------- Oh wait.

yea no.

The deal has not been finished yet, that shit won't complete until 2023.

??? None of that makes any sense what so ever lol

The marketing deal is for a set number of games, they can't just delay or not put the games out to avoid it as they likely have a performance clause, as in you are paid to do something, avoiding it doesn't mean you can wait it out as I don't think most of you have ever been in such deals before lol I don't really even get why gamers seem to think in this odd absolute either or way lol When I got into listing contracts for buildings, homes, hotels etc, normally for homes it was 6 months, for buildings it would a year, that didn't fucking mean I could do NOTHING for that time and still be off the hook, the 6 months or year is with the understanding something is BEING DONE, it doesn't fucking mean a date passes and I can do nothing, I must actually still do the thing I was hired to do, so gamers need to get this.

Even if it stated they had a 5 year deal, it was likely for a set number of games, in the event that the game was delayed the deal would extend etc. That is how a lot of that shit works and I've never been in any fucking deal worth hundreds of millions, like...low millions, but not like 100 fucking million or something, so I highly doubt it was that loose as that doesn't really make a whole lot of sense.

The next thing to note is that buyout is not done till 2023. So MS made none of this.

Second thing to not is MS has already stated this about when the deal is actually even done

@Lognor They likely just mean its a set number of games, until 2024 unless a game is delayed and it can be pushed to 2025. As in, if they had a deal for 5 games, they still need to honor those 5 games, if it gets delayed, then they can push the deal to a different year in that event.
So you think Microsoft bought activision for almost 70 billion dollars and they are not making decisions regardless if publicly they’re are to remain independent? If the contracts through 2024 they can consider a large update to warzone as part of that marketing campaign. Doesn’t mean the games get pushed back what logic is that. They’re literally pushing ghost wire up to get out of that contract as soon as possible.

ethomaz

Banned
Yeah, name your sources like Jason does whenever he writes a hit job on a Dev Studio. He always names the employees giving him the dirt -------- Oh wait.
Primary sources are protected by law like these employees that talked with Jason… he can’t even reveal their names without the employee authorization unless he is asked by a judge at court (even so that information can be keep confidential just to parts of the lawsuit and not made public).

Imagine if the employees have no protection and their names goes public the retaliation they should receive lol

BTW investigate journalist that reveals the dirt things behind the companies are needed and praised by the society… just because it is the gaming industry or your favorite developer doesn’t make them infallible.

Now you share a material from another journalist without saying how made the article/repost then you are just stealing others work… it is anti-ethical.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I bet he thinks he's the hottest thing in gaming journalism there ever was.

Lmao Lol GIF
He is indeed the one of the best in game industry and one of the few that can be called journalist.

But hey you guys probably believes Jeff Grubb, Jez Corden and Tom Warrior do journalism? 😂😂😂

Last edited:

Edder1

Tom Henderson is one of the most reliable and consistent COD leakers out there, he's leaked plenty of exclusive info on COD before. Jason is a cry baby just having one of his usual meltdowns.

Last edited:

Edder1

He is indeed the one of the best in game industry and one of the few that can be called journalist.

But hey you guys probably believes Jeff Grubb, Jez Corden and Tom Warrior do journalism?
Jason love-in is strong with this one.....

I saw your post about dismissing Tom Henderson because he got something wrong and yet you fanboying over Jason who came up with a BS story about Bend studio that the former heads of the studio dismissed as exaggeration and untrue. Jason often exaggerares things by citing a few unhappy employees and trying to make it seem like a general problem. Jason is also a manbaby who blocks anyone who disagrees with him, hardly journalistic behaviour.

Edit: If Jason kidnapped you and made you type that just DM one of us.

Last edited:

yurinka

Is this MS taking a knee to run out the clock on the PlayStation CoD exclusivity contract?
At least in the RE Village's marketing deal with Sony the clock to avoid putting the game on non-Sony game subscriptions during 13-14 months started to count from the game release, so a game delay wouldn't affect it.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Holy shit, out of all the people and reasons to see bitching about this news, the Schreier shitfit was a CURVE BALL.

I've never played a CoD game and I give no fucks about this, but imagining him squealing at his Windowlicker wife at roughly the same pitch as a starving rabbit about missing the headline...

Jamesfrancosogood.jpg

Jadsey

The irony of schreier complaining about leaking stuff he’d been working on but hadn’t revealed yet?

It’s delicious….

Banned
I mean it makes sense. if you really think about it, most people today still play Modern Warfare basically, as Warzone is part of Modern Warfare

Top Bottom