• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Henderson: Activision to Delay next CoD, No CoD in 2023

Leyasu

Banned
I can’t see the yearly cod cycle lasting long once they are part of Microsoft. They will use the majority of those studios involved for different I.Ps.

All that talent tied up to one franchise when they need content to feed gamepass. I can’t see it

nani17

are in a big trouble
Not sure if this was an ms move because wouldnt next cod already be in development? Once one game is nearly finished the other one is usually underway. So either the decision was already made before MS or MS cancelled it

I might be wrong on this but great move imo

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

This doesn't mean anything in my eyes. You have 3 studios making Call of Casual on a 2-year cycle and they're still putting out the same bullshit year in and out. Activision just saw the Call of Casual fatigue is starting to set in on the normal series. They're praying a year off will have folks itching for that fix again outside of the free to play game.

chonga

So we're getting a free to play COD instead of a 'premium COD'.

That probably means a slimmed down traditional non-BR multiplayer experience. If it has the basics that's still going to be enough for people. You could then argue that whatever Black Ops it was that released without a campaign was also a skipped year.

Sounds like they might be toying with the idea of MP being free then people cough up for a "premium" blockbuster campaign.

Boss Mog

CoD should be a once every two years release anyway. There's no reason that a CoD game can't be serviceable for at least 2 years if they add new content during that second year.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Yeah you won't see COD day and date on GP until 2026/2027 unless MS break the contract.
BTW do Sony have Marketing for Wazone ? i know they have Marketing for Main games, but Warzone 2 it will be it's own standalone game. MS might get something from Warzone 2.
Why would Microsoft break a contract because the game comes to GP?

Edit: funny how many suddenly giving a shit about.cod in here when it comes to defending Sony over a contract we don't know if is by years or releases, yet armchair Gaf is ready to defend it.

Last edited:

Javthusiast

Banned
He is indeed the one of the best in game industry and one of the few that can be called journalist.

But hey you guys probably believes Jeff Grubb, Jez Corden and Tom Warrior do journalism? 😂😂😂

All of them are egotistical pricks. Sure they might provide true leaks, but fuck em.

Louay

This decision was made independently by Activision, MS don't own them yet.
MS played a part knowing there won't be shareholders next year, imagine telling your shareholders we won't make any money next year because we would delay COD 23. Independent Acti would release the game unfinished or cut down SP like they did with BO4 to make it in 2023

Edit: funny how many suddenly giving a shit about.cod in here when it comes to defending Sony over a contract we don't know if is by years or releases, yet armchair Gaf is ready to defend it.

They'd have the typical clause that'd prevent it from going to competing sub services like we saw with REVillage

Last edited:

ButchCat

Microsoft about now

if-im-going-down-im-taking-you-with-me.gif

Kerotan

Excellent news. This means MW2 comes out this year and gets 2 full years of support. A dream come true.

Warzone 2 probably launches next year also. Maybe around March. The last thing we need is a black ops cold war 2 six months later. So happy with all this.

Kerotan

I've 1200 wins on warzone and love the modern Warfare series. I love cod whether I love playstation or not.

The_Mike

They'd have the typical clause that'd prevent it from going to competing sub services like we saw with REVillage

Well, none of us knows for sure, but sounds plausible.

Whats more fun is this comment is exactly 4 years old and they talk about Sony contract in years and not releases.

LXWuh38.jpg

It's just a little too coincidental that they skip this year.

Well, none of us knows for sure, but sounds plausible.

Whats more fun is this comment is exactly 4 years old and they talk about Sony contract in years and not releases.

LXWuh38.jpg

It's just a little too coincidental that they skip this year.

COD is an annual franchise though. The assumption of a four year contract from both parties is that it would cover four COD games. These marketing deals naturally cover circumstances like delays anyway.

The_Mike

COD is an annual franchise though. The assumption of a four year contract from both parties is that it would cover four COD games. These marketing deals naturally cover circumstances like delays anyway.

Your guess is still as good as mine, unless you got insider knowledge.

The decline of COD as we transition from one gen to the next has struck already. Delaying the next one will only add to that.

By the end of this gen COD is not going to be the juggernaut it was in the PS4/XB1 gen for sure as the kids all play other FPS now and the fans of COD are fatigued and getting old!

ethomaz

Banned
Your guess is still as good as mine, unless you got insider knowledge.
If a contract didn’t deal with delays then one side could just not release any game in the contract period and be fine.

That is not how it works.
There is probably a mininum number of games to be launched in that 4 years contract and others rules of course.

Last edited:

mejin

The decline of COD as we transition from one gen to the next has struck already. Delaying the next one will only add to that.

By the end of this gen COD is not going to be the juggernaut it was in the PS4/XB1 gen for sure as the kids all play other FPS now and the fans of COD are fatigued and getting old!

I think every big FPS series on console have some kind of fatigue. They are not as great as before.

Spencer couldn't make Halo thrive again. He'll fail with CoD if the series depends on him. So, maybe Activision is right to breath a little and rethink the series, before Spencer becomes the boss.

assurdum

Banned
And here we go. At the end they found a way to not release the new cod on ps5 delaying it. What a surprise. I expect just warzone and exclusively multiplayer focused releases on Sony console.

Last edited:

Cornbread78

Perfect timing. Now when tbe game does drop that "Microsoft Studios" splash screen can be a forced pop up.

Can we get the old 360 splash screen & sound at least? Much better than the new one with Infinite!

Ozriel

M$FT
I think every big FPS series on console have some kind of fatigue. They are not as great as before.

Spencer couldn't make Halo thrive again. He'll fail with CoD if the series depends on him. So, maybe Activision is right to breath a little and rethink the series, before Spencer becomes the boss.

Post acquisition, Activision will largely operate as usual.
With the one year delay, we expect better quality from The COD studios.

People saw a contract between Sony and Capcom preventing the marketed games from being released on any subscription service and they’ve apparently decided the power dynamic would be the same in negotiations with Activision.

I’d be shocked if there’s any language about subscription services in the deal.

He is indeed the one of the best in game industry and one of the few that can be called journalist.

But hey you guys probably believes Jeff Grubb, Jez Corden and Tom Warrior do journalism? 😂😂😂

The irony of you calling Warren ‘warrior’ 😂😂😂

Dolomite

They cant sadly. Usually the contracts covers these type of events.
Yes and no.
Legally MS can't influence ABK's plans until after the deal is closed.

But...if ABK can make decisions they weren't bold enough to make before, because it would piss off shareholders then yes. A $70B safety net along with the fact that shareholders stand to make more after this deal may be all the confidence they need to make smarter bolder decisions. Indirectly influenced by MS's purchase

Dolomite

Well, it was Jason who went through what I assume is a rigorous verification process as a journalist and wrote an article. For Tom to just go and ship a 140 characters or less tweet about it without citing the source is just awful. And his response to Jason's opposition was even worse.

Someone posted the info during one of his Livestreams. He didn't subscribe to a $2K/month bloomberg terminal and decide to rip an article as his own

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Just to you guys understand.

Bloomberg has the public site.
And the Bloomberg Terminal.

Bloomberg Terminal is like a paywall site where the news are posted before go to public site… Tom probably got the info from somebody that has access to Bloomberg Terminal… you need to pay for it (it is more like a subscription).

Edit - Most of the paid users from Bloomberg Terminal are stock market companies that wants to have access asap to these reports.

And to have a Bloomberg Terminal cost thousands of dollars a year.

XpXUkYt.jpg

Last edited:

EDMIX

So you think Microsoft bought activision for almost 70 billion dollars and they are not making decisions regardless if publicly they’re are to remain independent?
lol no buddy, I think they are not making those moves because they legally can't, the deal has not been finalized yet, MS doesn't own Activision YET.

" deal is not expected to be finalized until sometime in 2023." Unless you have something saying that deal has been closed, this is a move based on what Activision wants.
They’re literally pushing ghost wire up to get out of that contract as soon as possible

lmfao!! what? Dear god, do you fucking hear what you are saying? Thats a moot fucking point, of course they are going to release the game to COMPLETE the contract, its based on performance, they MUST DO something to complete that, that isn't "get out of that contract" that is completing, supporting, PERFORMING what the contract asked. Thats like fucking saying let me sell this house in under 6 months to "get out of that contract", you mean do what the fucking seller asked? Do the job agreed upon? Sooooo that isn't getting out of something sir, that is simply doing the task, nothing is being avoided that wasn't agreed upon.

So no, they can't just make a fucking update to Warzone and be like "dat iz a gamez doe" lol Very, very fucking unlikely.

Thats like me renting out a house instead of selling it for the seller and saying "well....services rendered, where do I get paid broz" Thats not how any of this shit works. You can't just avoid such things by moving a date, making a update, putting a game out early as that would be moot as they'd want it out earlier anyway lol So I'm doubtful some deal worth hundreds of millions would be that fucking loose man, you'd need to prove that shit yourself as everyone would be avoiding having to perform by putting a game out early or delaying a game or claiming a update is now magically a numbered game, foh

Top Bottom