• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Tom Henderson] God of War Ragnarok is 40 Hours in Length

3liteDragon

God of War Ragnarok is around 40 hours in length, Insider Gaming has learned. It’s understood that the entire experience is around 40 hours, with 20 hours needed to complete the game’s main story. Sources have said that around 3 and a half hours of the 20 hours played will be cinematic scenes, with the remaining 16 and a half hours for gameplay. The other 20 hours of game time is to complete all of the additional side quests, with around 19 hours dedicated to gameplay and an additional 1 hour of cinematics.

Of course, these numbers are just estimates and will vary wildly depending on your playstyle.

This would mean that God of War Ranarok’s length would be around the same length as God of War (2018) with its main story, but around 8-9 hours longer with its side quests. According to How Long To Beat, which tracks how long it takes people to complete games, the average completion time of God of War 2018’s main story and side questions is around 32 hours. It was revealed 2 weeks ago that the file size for God of War Ragnarok is around 90.6GB on the PlayStation 4, which will be double the size of the 2018 game if true.

God of War Ragnarok’s length was previously mentioned to be 40 hours last year by David Jaffe on his YouTube channel.

“I’m hearing from people in the know that that game is 40 hours. They’re aiming for 40 hours of gameplay. I don’t know if that’s a 100% Platinum Trophy completion or if that’s average playtime. Is it guaranteed? No. Things get cut, things get added. But what I can tell you right now – 40 hours of gameplay is what they’re shooting for the new God of War“, it was said.

Last edited:
Cool, 20 for the story will likely be a few hours shorter. Sounds good. Still want to buy a PS5 for it but upon further thought, feels a bit silly just for this game!

anthony2690

Banned
"It’s understood that the entire experience is around 40 hours, with 20 hours needed to complete the game’s main story."

So it's 20 hours in length & up to 40 hours for 100% completion (I assume side quests/collectibles?)

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Kratos GIF by PlayStation

Gamerguy84

Awesome, glad it's not 6000 hours.

I guess the countdown is on now that it's a month away. That's when I start getting hyped.

Last edited:

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Pre-order cancelled. Jim Ryan doesn't know what he's doing. We want experiences designed for subscription services built with microtransactions in mind, not a meaningful single player campaign with rich characters, beautiful environments and significant length.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

What a shame. I was hoping it was longer than the first game, especially the story.
I remember Cory Balrog saying it was gonna be alot bigger and larger than the first game, with more bosses… I guess not

I've never understood the obsession with knowing the anticipated playtime of a game, together with a full breakdown of total gameplay time and cutscene times.

To me, it's reductive and misses the point.

E.g.

I can play 30 hours of Assassin's Creed side quests and it feels like 80 hours because I'm bored outta my fucking mind. While in the same vein, I can play 30 hours of The Witcher 3 side quest and it feels like 3 hours because I'm so glued to the screen.

Perceived play time is relative, while enjoyment from those same hours spent playing is pretty objective (on a per gamer basis).

I can play and finish the 10-12 hour campaign of COD: Infinite Warfare, never touch the MP, and feel like I got my money's worth from the game. Meanwhile, I can play 80 hours of some copy-pasta open-world clone no.9919182 and still not find the fun I was supposed to.

So to me, playtime is irrelevant to the value I put on a gameplay experience. Quality is what's important.

There is no correlation between game length and game quality.

11.5 hours to beat metal gear solid

One of the biggest problems in last of us part 2 is the extra 10 hours to beat it compared to the first game. Much of that story felt drawn out.

The media has convinced gamers and developers that AAA games need to be 20 hours minimum because of the price and as a result developers just pad games.

I’m sure that god of war is going to be padded. Even the 2018 game was padded. The original games in the series were 10 hours each and were epics.

20 hours sounds perfect length of time for the most games.
Once you get past 20/30 hours there's great chance of the game starting feel like a slog.
GOWR ending Norse saga so the pacing will be much faster and filled with action, epic moment this time.

I've never understood the obsession with knowing the anticipated playtime of a game, together with a full breakdown of total gameplay time and cutscene times.

E.g.

I can play 30 hours of Assassin's Creed side quests and it feels like 80 hours because I'm bored outta my fucking mind. While in the same vein, I can play 30 hours of The Witcher 3 side quest and it feels like 3 hours because I'm so glued to the screen.

Perceived play time is relative, while enjoyment from those same hours spent playing is pretty objective (on a per gamer basis).

I can play and finish the 10-12 hour campaign of COD: Infinite Warfare, never touch the MP, and feel like I got my money's worth from the game. Meanwhile, I can play 80 hours of some copy-pasta open-world clone no.9919182 and still not find the fun I was supposed to.

So to me, playtime is irrelevant to the value I put on a gameplay experience. Quality is what's important.
Too me if the main portion of the game is unjustifiably big I'm out, so I always look how long the average person takes to beat a game then I judge if I'm up for that (specially if it's an open world game).

The 2018 GoW game had about the right length, it just could've benefited from more variety and more bosses.

Last edited:

saintjules

People always talk about game length. Historically we've seen people beat games with varying playtime hours.

It's cool to know that it will be a pretty long experience, but I think if people avoid sidequests and just shoot for the main story beats, it will most likely be completed in less than half of the time being described.

kyussman

20h main quest,20h of side quests.....now that's the kind of game structure I can get down with.I did enjoy the structure of the first one a lot,the side stuff felt linked to the main story in a way that made it feel meaningful to do.

EDMIX

Too me if the main portion of the game is unjustifiably big I'm out, so I always look how long the average person takes to beat a game then I judge if I'm up for that (specially if it's an open world game).

The 2018 GoW game had about the right length, it just could've benefited from more variety and more bosses.

Agreed.

You could put a lot of time in God Of War 2018, but it felt like all the areas had some value, like going to an area and doing a cool puzzle and hearing some lore or fighting some side boss or those Valkyrie whores. Its world felt like the old 3D Zelda titles from N64 and Gamecube, where every area had a purpose and nothing was there to just be there

So the hours I put in God Of War never felt wasted or bloat or anything like that and I felt they crafted it well. I better get what this 40 hours means then in most games.

I agree with you completely with the variety on enemies though cause the combat was amazing and I just wish I had more types to kill.

jorgejjvr

Gold Member
Too long IMO. Action-adventure games should be between 12 to 20 hours. I start losing interest after the 20 hour mark.

This is what we get due to the bang for the buck mentality. More means better unfortunately. I’m
It is 20 hours tho

Idk why they always lead with the 'most ever' hours, 40 is only if you do everything, if you platinum the game lol. If you are there for the story ride, it's 20 hours

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong

E.g.

I think the busier you are (for me this happened when I had kids), the more you appreciate the value of more compact and efficient gaming experiences. I have zero interest in 80 hour Ubisoft games. But on topic, 40 hours is great - long, even. 2018 didn’t outstay it’s welcome, and I’m guessing these 20-40 hours will be jam packed and memorable.

Expected considering you can visit every realm and probably some surprise realms also.

I honestly think this game briefly takes us back to Athens

Too long imo for a single player driven game that isn’t an RPG. Going to play but usually around the 25 hour mark for cinematic games it feels like a grind. TLOU2 was about 30 and became a grind around the 20ish hour mark. These games are designed around fighting groups of enemies which after a while becomes repetitive so being that long is never something I’d prefer.

Edit: main quest is 20 hours. Scratch all I said. Perfect length.

Last edited:
Top Bottom