• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Tom Henderson] God of War Ragnarok is 40 Hours in Length

No he’s not, he’s playing into a joke bout the swearing ESRB rating. Stop hounding game devs on twitter over dumb shit like game length. They aren’t obligated to answer your every little concern about the game

why so serious joker GIF
That part I can agree with. I'd filter out the public if I was him.

On a side note, anyone else getting tired of industry people not sounding the least bit professional at all? Cory with "fuck that shit". You don't gotta be a suit but you could at least sound like someone over 4th grade.
No. Fuck that shit ( 👀 ). Twitter is honestly mentally draining and that guy deserved that type of answers. If Cory was answering that way to someone that was being polite then sure, you'd be right. Add to this the amount of pressure this industry is at right now i actually feel for anyone on social media.

There's a reason why most studios are cutting all interactions with their communities and the ones that don't do that need professional help, lol.

I mean, everyone plays differently. I'd hope to complete it in under 30 lol.

I was thinking earlier that 20 hours for a game that was supposed to wrapping up something that was originally a trilogy was too little. We've seen clues that the latest trailer from that State of Play includes stuff early in the game...and even Kratos vs Thor wasn't something like a last boss, not even close (they wouldn't spoil that in a trailer). Plus, we go to all 9 realms this time right?

Man this is going to be such an experience...i honestly can't wait for this game.

Looking forward to this one! I don't mind the length, I will be working through it along with the rest of my backlog. Bring it on Sony SM.

Topher

Gold Member
FFS I dont want 50 hours or god forbid 70 even...Just give me an amazing 20 hours and 25 - 30 hours tops with all content.

Tom Henderson said it was around 40 and you said that sounded "glorious". Either way, there is a ton of optional content that you can just ignore apparently. Not sure how that is bad.

Tom Henderson said it was around 40 and you said that sounded "glorious". Either way, there is a ton of optional content that you can just ignore apparently. Not sure how that is bad.

I guess DenchDeckard DenchDeckard is trying to say that by having more they sacrifice quality. Something which he can't prove BTW as it's dependent on what the developer does with the game.

Paasei

Okay, so for roughly ~40 hours to complete everything, people will think I’m dead or lost. Can’t wait.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I guess DenchDeckard DenchDeckard is trying to say that by having more they sacrifice quality. Something which he can't prove BTW as it's dependent on what the developer does with the game.

I'm not saying the content is bad. I just personally don't think I'm after a 70 hour god of war title.

If it ends up that I'm wrong then it's fine.

Just to add, huge gow fan abd 2018 was incredible. I did everything including all valkerys. I don't think it was more than 30 hours? Unless I lost myself in the world lol

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I think these time estimations are a bit silly. I understand they feel the need to explain the value proposition. I also understand that for some people the goal is to obtain the longest, most time-draining game possible, so they don't have to buy any other games for a while.

But I feel that:

A. These estimates are very difficult to project - it depends on how you play

B. Even worse, they glorify quantity > quality.

Some of that comes down to my playstyle. I'd rather play a great game twice, then play a very good game for a longer amount of time. I'm compelled to play again if the experience is fantastic.

Last edited:

hussar16

Idk I do not see a improvement even horizon sequel looked more impressive then original.this game looks exactly like first a ps4 game

I'm not saying the content is bad. I just personally don't think I'm after a 70 hour god of war title.

Just to add, huge gow fan abd 2018 was incredible. I did everything including all valkerys. I don't think it was more than 30 hours? Unless I lost myself in the world lol

Look you can either choose to speed run through the game or do all the content. It's not the developers fault that you choose to do everything thats available to you.

If they want to give us 70 hours of high quality content I'm all for it.

Last edited:

OZ9000

Banned

I agree with you.

Half of those 50 hours are going to be padded and pointless.

I've never seen a game which delivers a consistently good experience for more than 20-25 hours at max.

The game is probably chock full of shit side missions which seems to plague open world games.

I thought God of War 2018 had the right balance between story and additional content.

Last edited:
I agree with you.

I've never seen a game which delivers a consistently good experience for more than 20-25 hours at max.

The game is probably chock full of shit side missions which seems to plague open world games.

I thought God of War 2018 had the right balance between story and additional content.

But you don't know if Ragnarok will be padded with shit to reach 70 hours. Remember they delayed the game so there's a possibility that the content can be good.

Let's just wait and see what happens. But ultimately its up to you to decide how to play the game.

Animated GIF

Topher

Gold Member
I agree with you.

Better too much than not enough, I'd say. Optional content is optional.

Better too much than not enough, I'd say. Optional content is optional.

I'd be more worried if its a forced 70 hours of shit content. I remember playing games with really bad padding to reach 10 hours of gameplay. What annoys me the most is those titles that make you back track a ton.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I agree with you.

As long as its good content it will be fine....I have faith in them. Let's hope for no padding.

GymWolf

Depends if you play on normal or hard\very hard.

To do everything on hard i locked at 45-50, but i died a lot.

For ragnarock i'm just gonna start directly at gimme the god of war mode.

Last edited:

Yes I'm playing through the first one on hard but I'm dying a lot as well. But that's my choice. If Ragnarok is a bigger and better version of the first game I will enjoy it even more.

This game will easily be at least 50+ hours for me. 1st playthrough I am going in completely blind, taking my time and second playthrough I will be going after the platinum trophy.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Yes I'm playing through the first one on hard but I'm dying a lot as well. But that's my choice. If Ragnarok is a bigger and better version of the first game I will enjoy it even more.
The more challenge you have, the more enjoyment you get by the whole progression and becoming stronger, this is my mantra.

On normal i 'm not stimulate to search for secret stuff because i can button mash my way to victory in 99% of cases and the progression feels almost useless.

Last edited:
The more challenge you have, the more enjoyment you get by the whole progression and becoming stronger, this is my mantra.

On normal i 'm not stimulate to search for secret stuff because i can button mash my way to victory in 99% of cases and the progression feels almost useless.

Hard I can handle but give me god of war is a bit much for me to be honest.

GymWolf

Hard I can handle but give me god of war is a bit much for me to be honest.
They said that they re-balanced gimme the god of war after the feedback of the first game.

Not sure if i'm happy or not, i'm perfectly ok with a challenge harder than a soul game in a game with no stamina management where you don't lose anything after dying.

if i die 500 times, so be it.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

You beast! Props. It's gonna be special. I'm sure I'll get sucked in. I'll just see how it grabs me.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

I'm going to play on the casual difficulty and have fun beating the shit out of everything like the god of war Kratos is.

GymWolf

Gonna turn on the accessibility options to reduce as much of the combat challenge as possible too

whassup-whassup-eric-cartman.gif
I'm gonna turn on the press once instead of keep pressing to open the treasure chests, so we are basically on the same boat buddy.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Are you disabled?

Not trying to insult you but I'm wondering if you actually have a disability that affects your gaming.

christ above lol

accessibility options aren't just for disabled gamers.

Maybe he just doens't like hard games and wants to enjoy the story.

you're fucking brutal :ROFLMAO:

ding ding ding

I've stopped playing games on higher difficulties unless its something I'm really into like Resident Evil stuff. RPGs, especially, I don't like playing in harder modes because I don't want to get stuck in an unwinable situation after 10, 20 hours of play.

Maybe he just doens't like hard games and wants to enjoy the story.

you're fucking brutal :ROFLMAO:

Didn't mean to offend him. But for me reducing a difficulty to press x to win does affect my enjoyment of a game. It really gives me no incentive to learn the complexity of the moves or to pursue upgrading my abilities if a game is to easy. Might as well play a kinect game at that point if you know what I mean.

Last edited:
christ above lol

accessibility options aren't just for disabled gamers.

ding ding ding

I've stopped playing games on higher difficulties unless its something I'm really into like Resident Evil stuff. RPGs, especially, I don't like playing in harder modes because I don't want to get stuck in an unwinable situation after 10, 20 hours of play.

I honestly don't think its funny if you actually had a disability. Just FYI.

disappointed-ricky-berwick.gif

Last edited:

GymWolf

ding ding ding

Can't you just turn from hard to normal or from normal to easy if you have a rought time during a fight?

IF the first game is anything to go by, they are gonna save the real hard challenges for the side content, in the first one it was the valkirye, the fog labyrint and the challenges in the lava zone, the main bosses were a joke even on hard (except the dark elf king)

You hardly are gonna encounter a situation during the main campaign that is unwinnable, unless you are absolute shit with the rpg progression and with action games.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Didn't mean to offend him. But for me reducing a difficulty to press x to win does affect my enjoyment of a game. It really gives me no incentive to learn the complexity of the moves or to pursue upgrading my abilities if a game is to easy. Might as well play a kinect game at that point if you know what I mean.
Same, but maybe he has no much time to play or some other reasons.

adamsapple

Can't you just turn from hard to normal or from normal to easy if you have a rought time during a fight?

IF the first game is anything to go by, they are gonna save the real hard challenges for the side content, in the first one it was the valkirye, the fog labyrint and the challenges in the lava zone, the main bosses were a joke even on hard (except the dark elf king)

You hardly are gonna encounter a situation during the main campaign that is unwinnable, unless you are absolute shit with the rpg progression and with action games.

Action games I play on normal, but if there are accessibility options like auto QTE, I turn that shit on in a heart beat. Not having to worry about QTEs greatly increases my enjoyment in games like spider man and miles morles.

RPG = easy if available. I'm gonna have more fun playing something like Persona 5 Royal on easy so I can focus on the social parts of the game and worry less about the dungeon grinding.

Last edited:
Action games I play on normal, but if there are accessibility options like auto QTE, I turn that shit on in a heart beat. Not having to worry about QTEs greatly increases my enjoyment in games like spider man and miles morles.

RPG = easy if available. I'm gonna have more fun playing something like Persona 5 Royal on easy so I can focus on the social parts of the game and worry less about the dungeon grinding.

Press X to win doesn't seem much fun to me but you have the right to play your games how you want. Just don't complain about Ragnarok being too easy or short when you go through it.

Top Bottom