• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Henderson: Hideo Kojima Xbox Game Is (Almost certanly) Overdose

Draugoth

Gold Member
Tom Henderson says that the video footage sent to him of the game was on a Google Pixel:

My original report contained several key details on the new Kojima title, including the mode that could be played in third and first-person, with Margaret Qualley seemingly being the title’s protagonist. One key detail though, that I failed to report on with the footage that I was shown, is that the person appears to be playing the game on some kind of mobile device, which appears to almost certainly be a Google Pixel.

Originally I had believed that the footage sent to me was some old footage that had resurfaced, but the source of the video has claimed it is from the beginning of this year.

Tom Henderson says that the video footage sent to him of the game was on a Google Pixel:

t00AFcO.gif

Mr Moose

A video recorded on a phone. I don't get it, how does that make it a cloud game?

It’s likely a huge coincidence that the mobile device used seems to be a Google Pixel
Of course it is, if Google cancelled it years ago and this video is from this year. This is dumb.

deeptech

Kojima says in the xbox announcement that it's gonna take time, and here Tom says there is a gameplay trailer from beginning of the year. Why the hell isn't it shown then, why sit on a trailer for that long? It seems though the game does exist and is a KJP game, judging by what they told him in an that email he mentions.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Kojima says in the xbox announcement that it's gonna take time, and here Tom says there is a gameplay trailer from beginning of the year. Why the hell isn't it shown then, why sit on a trailer for that long? It seems though the game does exist and is a KJP game, judging by what they told him in an that email he mentions.

I think this video was something Kojima produced to pitch the game to Stadia, which is why it was on a Pixel phone (to suck up to Google). Stadia rejected the game and he went to MS, but someone has leaked the original pitch video to people.

GHG

It's not just mobile. It's Xbox/PC/Cloud. The whole point is that it can be played from anywhere.

How did that idea go for efootball 2022?

No matter what device you play it on it'll still be a mobile game. That's how the cookie crumbles.

Last edited:

deeptech

I think this video was something Kojima produced to pitch the game to Stadia, which is why it was on a Pixel phone (to suck up to Google). Stadia rejected the game and he went to MS, but someone has leaked the original pitch video to people.
Yea, that makes sense, maybe it wasn't a footage for general public.

Lognor

Banned
I called it!

I didn't think there was any way that Koji Pro could be working on three games at once. A lot of of folks were saying otherwise. That Kojima was working on this "smaller" Xbox game and also working on Overdose which was AAA and also working on Death Stranding 2 which of course will be AAA. There was just no way! Glad to see that has essentially been confirmed.

So does MS show the trailer during the extended showcase this week or save it for TGS? If it doesn't show up this week I think they save it for TGS along with even more announcements of Japanese games coming to Xbox! Phil doesn't fuck around. He told you all he would bring you Japanese games!

His fanbase is on PlayStation.
His fanbase will follow him. A ton of Kojima fans are about to buy Xbox consoles!

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
It's not just mobile. It's Xbox/PC/Cloud. The whole point is that it can be played from anywhere.

Like those things are the same! Why do people pretend that the user experience on a touch-screen, using a controller, or keyboard and mouse are interchangeable? Or more importantly that the restrictions imposed by the UI aren't instrumental in what makes the game fun and functional to play?

Corndog

Banned
I called it!

I didn't think there was any way that Koji Pro could be working on three games at once. A lot of of folks were saying otherwise. That Kojima was working on this "smaller" Xbox game and also working on Overdose which was AAA and also working on Death Stranding 2 which of course will be AAA. There was just no way! Glad to see that has essentially been confirmed.

So does MS show the trailer during the extended showcase this week or save it for TGS? If it doesn't show up this week I think they save it for TGS along with even more announcements of Japanese games coming to Xbox! Phil doesn't fuck around. He told you all he would bring you Japanese games!

His fanbase will follow him. A ton of Kojima fans are about to buy Xbox consoles!
Or play on pc or phone.

Lognor

Banned
MasterCornholio MasterCornholio I told you there was no way Koji Pro was working on 3 games. I'm excited to see this Overdose game! I hope it's a spiritual successor to PT. I never got to play that but I heard good things!

Or play on pc or phone.
No doubt. But just as not everyone will wait for Sony games to drop on PC and will instead buy a PS5, the same is true here. Some people will play on phone or PC but a lot of others will buy the Xbox to play there. Very smart of MS to pay Kojima for a game. He probably has the biggest following in video games. People worship the guy. Kojima fans are first and foremost fans of his, not of Playstation necessarily.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
I don't understand what that means, but we'll see!

It means you can play the game on your Xbox or PC but he probably has some idea of it being able to notify you through your phone/tablet that will cause you to fire it up there and continue the game.

GHG

I've played Sea of Thieves and Halo Infinite on my iPad and iPhone. Are those mobile games?

Not my idea of a quality gaming experience but you do you.

You can play any gamepass game on cloud/mobile. Why so little faith in Kojima?

Why so much interest in a mobile/cloud game?

Come On Shrug GIF

I don't have high end gaming hardware at my disposal to then have to stream some game to said hardware or my phone. What the hell is going on here all of a sudden?

deeptech

Kojima said it's like nothing we know about or something like that, so we may speculate till all is blue. We gotta wait and see what it is, i really hope it's something like PT or at least what Silent Hills was supposed to be. The thing i also wonder is that if Overdose is his xbox cloud horror project and DS2 is the "AAA" he spoke about, will we see his next game before 2025-6? Holy shit i hope NOT.

Last edited:
MasterCornholio MasterCornholio I told you there was no way Koji Pro was working on 3 games. I'm excited to see this Overdose game! I hope it's a spiritual successor to PT. I never got to play that but I heard good things!

No doubt. But just as not everyone will wait for Sony games to drop on PC and will instead buy a PS5, the same is true here. Some people will play on phone or PC but a lot of others will buy the Xbox to play there. Very smart of MS to pay Kojima for a game. He probably has the biggest following in video games. People worship the guy. Kojima fans are first and foremost fans of his, not of Playstation necessarily.
Hopefully that scruffy git Norman Reedus isn't in it.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
If it can be played on a phone (without a controller) I'm not sure it's something I'm very interested in...

Have you ever played any other games in your life that you enjoyed? Non videogame games?

Basketball, Hide and Go Seek, Dodgeball, Risk, Jeopardy in school etc?

I don't understand the idea of closing yourself off from a quality game because it's not designed for controller.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Not my idea of a quality gaming experience but you do you.

Why so much interest in a mobile/cloud game?

Come On Shrug GIF

I don't have high end gaming hardware at my disposal to then have to stream some game to said hardware or my phone. What the hell is going on here all of a sudden?

This is the only Kojima horror game we’re getting after PT so I’m gonna play it. Funny how the same people who were twisting themselves in pretzels to make people believe Hasan the grifter was secretly Kojima making a horror game have no interest in an actual Kojima horror game. We have no idea what this actually is except a horror game that uses the cloud and that could mean different things.

cormack12

Gold Member
I honestly thought Luto was the next PT after the trailer at first. Be interesting when it finally gets a reveal. I think it being cloud based could maybe see him experiment with more of his social strand stuff.

Being cloud based immediately broadens that social space and if it does go to gamepass, increases that number exponentially.

I don't mind a couple of the MGS games but some of his stuff really doesn't appeal to me. See which side of the coin this lands on I guess.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Have you ever played any other games in your life that you enjoyed? Non videogame games?

Basketball, Hide and Go Seek, Dodgeball, Risk, Jeopardy in school etc?

I don't understand the idea of closing yourself off from a quality game because it's not designed for controller.

Sure, I've even played mobile games I've enjoyed. Nothing particularly deep though, and certainly nothing horror.

Calverz

Hmmmmm sounds interesting. Sounds like he wants to break the 4th wall with this game. Is this the dude who said a while back that the game text messages players etc??

GHG

Is there proof of it being a Mobile Game? cause
uotIqNb.gif

Read the OP:

that the person appears to be playing the game on some kind of mobile device, which appears to almost certainly be a Google Pixel.

Look at his other posts. He trying to argue that if you play a PC/console game via cloud on a mobile device it becomes a lesser game.

It does. How does it not? If a game is designed around being played natively on a large screen and you suddenly decide to stream it to a tiny screen then your experience is immediately compromised, even if you take latency out of the equation. If you add in latency then you become severely compromised. What's the only way around that? Design the whole experience around it being played on small screens.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Sure, I've even played mobile games I've enjoyed. Nothing particularly deep though, and certainly nothing horror.

I see what you mean. I guess I look at it like "talented game designer tries to make interesting + ambitious game on different platform" and I give him an earnest "Good luck, hope it works."

Maybe I'm being a tad annoying.

Read the OP:

It does. How does it not? If a game is designed around being played natively on a large screen and you suddenly decide to stream it to a tiny screen then your experience is immediately compromised, even if you take latency out of the equation. If you add in latency then you become severely compromised. What's the only way around that? Design the whole experience around it being played on small screens.
That hardly proof & was there not a past rumor of a Kojima game using something with the phone to enhanced the user experience/immersion?

Top Bottom