• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Henderson: Hideo Kojima Xbox Game Is (Almost certanly) Overdose

ToadMan

It's Xbox/PC/Cloud like all their first party stuff.

In a showcase of 95 minutes where everything was labelled as “xbox consoles”, “Xbox console exclusive”, “console launch exclusive” this segment, the only one introduced by Phil (wearing an xbox t shirt too like anyone forgot he might be a fan of that brand …) and talked about by Kojima….

A segment where Kojima didn’t even have a title of the project to share or a spoken description of the vision, never mind a cgi trailer or an actual piece of gameplay. In fact literally no detail about this project was given… not even a splash screen like Agent all those years ago.

The only thing that could have saved this segment from being a dud, was the word exclusive …

And yet in that one segment, not a single mention was made of the word exclusive by anyone.

Well maybe MS just overlooked that detail - same as Tom overlooked mentioning he saw a mobile game.

And if even stadia turned it down (and I doubt Stadia were the first point of call for “this” whatever it is) … well yeah.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
And it's almost certanly
HmsynPy.jpg

Of course, seems like this will be something with MS Publishing partnership.

Game Pass day 1 is all but guaranteed.

FingerBang

So Xbox get an exclusive Kojima horror game and PlayStation get Death Stranding 2?

Cool.
I love how a retarded scammer convinces everyone it's a big Kojima conspiracy but no one assumes that someone announcing on their social media "WORKING ON DEATH STRANDING 2" could be a red herring.

No no, of course, they ruined it for us! No fucking way they're working on Silent Hills. Let's go back to dreaming of Hasuck Fuckeraman.

ManaByte

I love how a retarded scammer convinces everyone it's a big Kojima conspiracy but no one assumes that someone announcing on their social media "WORKING ON DEATH STRANDING 2" could be a red herring.

No no, of course, they ruined it for us! No fucking way they're working on Silent Hills. Let's go back to dreaming of Hasuck Fuckeraman.

Doesn't make sense for Kojima to be making two different horror games for different platforms. Death Stranding 2 makes more sense.

FingerBang

Doesn't make sense for Kojima to be making two different horror games for different platforms. Death Stranding 2 makes more sense.
These are all rumors and nothing prevents him from making 2 different horror games.

I actually don't think DS2 makes much sense. I don't get why making another similar game after he's hated making sequel after sequel in the past.

I don't believe that game is happening.

A.Romero

We have an entire thread where people were convinced an investment scam was a secret Kojima horror game for PS5...now crickets.

To be fair TeamReal is almost dead. There are only 2 or 3 people that actually believe Abandoned has something to do with Kojima (or even think it is anything more than a dud).

Kojima will probably make a great game again. The platform doesn't even matter because of Gamepass and Xbox Cloud Gaming. You don't even need to get a console to play it. You can even play it for $1 with those trials so it's not even about the cost of entry. What's not to like?

Remember Kojima is almost 60. We need to get him making as many games as possible before retirement. Let's try to enjoy it regardless of the platform.

Kssio_Aug

Not my idea of a quality gaming experience but you do you.

Why so much interest in a mobile/cloud game?

Come On Shrug GIF

I don't have high end gaming hardware at my disposal to then have to stream some game to said hardware or my phone. What the hell is going on here all of a sudden?
Come on now...

Control Yourself A Series Of Unfortunate Events GIF by NETFLIX

To be fair TeamReal is almost dead. There are only 2 or 3 people that actually believe Abandoned has something to do with Kojima (or even think it is anything more than a dud).

Kojima will probably make a great game again. The platform doesn't even matter because of Gamepass and Xbox Cloud Gaming. You don't even need to get a console to play it. You can even play it for $1 with those trials so it's not even about the cost of entry. What's not to like?

Remember Kojima is almost 60. We need to get him making as many games as possible before retirement. Let's try to enjoy it regardless of the platform.

I do wonder if Kojima is in a period of indecisiveness right now. He mentioned retirement not too long ago, and he has ambitious plans for Kojima Productions to expand beyond video games. A lot to do and (if he is serious about retirement) not a lot of time to do it in. So one would think there's higher burden in choosing which projects he wants to sink time into. Hell, if Death Stranding 2 takes a long as the first game took, but the time he's done with that alone he'll be halfway to seventy.

Last edited:

Reallink

So cloud only Until Dawn movie/game hybrid or Dear Ester walking simulator it is then.

Last edited:

Corndog

Banned
Having played death stranding on a 65 inch OLED with a 7.1.2 surround sound system I have no idea why the fuck someone would decide to play a blockbuster like that on a shitty mobile device.

It's not about whether it could work, it's about whether it should. What a waste of visuals, art and sound design.
Maybe they don’t have a 65 inch oled.

adamsapple

Jeff Grubb labels the Kojima Xbox game as Overdose in the news segment on the latest episode of GB as well.

Since he was right about the partnership a year+ before anyone, I think its a safe bet to say this game is indeed Overdose if both Tom and Jeff are calling it that.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Maybe they don’t have a 65 inch oled.

Maybe not but clearly playing on a phone isn't the intended experience. If not why would they bother with all the high fidelity visuals/sound etc?

I can play Doom Eternal on my phone right now with Xbox Cloud. That makes Doom Eternal a mobile game?

Again, the game isn't designed around people playing it on their phones. They won't have done any playtesting during development on mobile phones, it would have been on PC/Console using an external monitor. Whereas with this game they are clearly designing it (or at least elements of it) around a mobile experience, if not they wouldn't bother testing on those devices while it's in development.

adamsapple

Maybe not but clearly playing on a phone isn't the intended experience. If not why would they bother with all the high fidelity visuals/sound etc?

Again, the game isn't designed around people playing it on their phones. They won't have done any playtesting during development on mobile phones, it would have been on PC/Console using an external monitor. Whereas with this game they are clearly designing it (or at least elements of it) around a mobile experience, if not they wouldn't bother testing on those devices while it's in development.

The part about seeing the game on phones is from late 2020 early 2021 which coincided with the cancelation from Stadia if I'm reading the article correct.

The scale and scope of the game could very well have completely changed between then and now.

Or phone usage could just be one component of the package. Remember there were some leaks from insiders that the guesstimated next silent hill game would have some kind of component where it would call your actual phone.

Maybe that was for this instead ? Hence his (Kojima's) insistence that this is a unique and 'challenging' game.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
The part about seeing the game on phones is from late 2020 early 2021 which coincided with the cancelation from Stadia if I'm reading the article correct.

The scale and scope of the game could very well have completely changed between then and now.

Or phone usage could just be one component of the package. Remember there were some leaks from insiders that the guesstimated next silent hill game would have some kind of component where it would call your actual phone.

Maybe that was for this instead ? Hence his (Kojima's) insistence that this is a unique and 'challenging' game.

Well hopefully the scope has changed then. A game that is built around being played on mobile phones that you can only play via streaming isn't my cup of tea and never will be. Nier is one of my favourite franchises and I gladly skipped reincarnation, the same way I've skipped Diablo Immortal. Games built around phones just aren't my cup of tea.

So let's see what this turns out to be.

Corndog

Banned

Don’t worry. It’s not your money being invested and it’s not your job to figure out how to make it work.

Why not? Lol. I never understand this mentality. People cannot announce their games when they want to?
I firmly believe you should only announce something if you have something to show.

Best scenario: gameplay.

Horizon, Days Gone and God of War had perfect reveals.

I called it!

I didn't think there was any way that Koji Pro could be working on three games at once. A lot of of folks were saying otherwise. That Kojima was working on this "smaller" Xbox game and also working on Overdose which was AAA and also working on Death Stranding 2 which of course will be AAA. There was just no way! Glad to see that has essentially been confirmed.

So does MS show the trailer during the extended showcase this week or save it for TGS? If it doesn't show up this week I think they save it for TGS along with even more announcements of Japanese games coming to Xbox! Phil doesn't fuck around. He told you all he would bring you Japanese games!

His fanbase will follow him. A ton of Kojima fans are about to buy Xbox consoles!
I’m his fan, I’m not going to buy an xbox or pc lol

Lognor

Banned
Of course, but they have to accept the good and bad that goes along with it. This announcement fell flat for a lot of people and has put a negative slant on the collaboration out of the gate.
The Negative feedback is predominantly from Sony fans who are butt hurt about the collaboration. Go look on Twitter to see the people complaining. People have even made petitions for kojima to cancel the Xbox game. It's truly pathetic.

Kssio_Aug

I think you are being a bit one sided there. Lots of people felt that announcement felt flat. Podcasts, journalists and fans.
I usually don't like reveals without gameplay. Actually, this reveal didn't do much to me either, exclusively because of that... But I still think it was a pretty relevant information nonetheless. People have been speculating if Kojima has been working for Microsoft for a while now, so having a confirmation that he indeed is was actually great.

But, about the game itself, we know virtually nothing. So, imo, too soon to be overly excited and definitely too soon to be concerned.

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
I think you are being a bit one sided there. Lots of people felt that announcement felt flat. Podcasts, journalists and fans.
It wasn’t supposed to be a megaton or anything. Just some transparency as to what MS and Kojima have planned. Which is nice. Or else these rumours go into crazy territory. And let’s face it. People would be freaking out if Kojima didn’t announce anything this month and cry regardless

pasterpl

Why the hell peopel assume that this will be a mobile game? Why kojima would pitch a mobile game to stadia or Xbox? If the play test was on mobile it was probably just to show how it can play via streaming. To some people in this thread, all of the xcloud games are Native console games, some are adapted for touch controls, other require controller. None are mobile first games. So can we drop this idiotic assumption that this somehow will be mobile first game.

Top Bottom