• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Tom Henderson] Naughty Dog's The Last of Us Remake and Factions are nearly finished, could release in the second half of this year

Of course, this makes sense. I was wondering how they charge for the multiplayer in 2022 bit this makes perfect sense. Went completely over my head. Sell the remake with factions hopefully September / October time with god of war in November or December?

I still can't see how a multiplayer game can be popular enough to turn a profit in 2022 without being free to play and chock full of microtransactions / season passes. I guess naughty dog kind of go for both like a battlefield or cod.
Factions won't be F2P and here is why:

1. TLOU is a big game franchise, when you look at these other free to play games, they were new IP like fortnite and PUBG for example. TLOU already has a fan base that would be willing to buy the game so they don't need go the free to play route to get people to play the game.

2. If they bundle the remake and factions together that does match the $60 value that the game will probably cost.

3. They will make factions free for PS plus subscribers at some point and after they sell it as a stand alone and discount it like they did with the online mode for ghost of Tsushima

I think sony cares more about moving $60 copies than using the free to play live service model for this type of IP and I think that make sense because its not like the F2P model is easy to do. Just look at what is happening with Halo infinite, I think that game would have been better off just being a full priced, full package game instead of going to the free 2 play route.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Factions won't be F2P and here is why:

1. TLOU is a big game franchise, when you look at these other free to play games, they were new IP like fortnite and PUBG for example. TLOU already has a fan base that would be willing to buy the game so they don't need go the free to play route to get people to play the game.

2. If they bundle the remake and factions together that does match the $60 value that the game will probably cost.

3. They will make factions free for PS plus subscribers at some point and after they sell it as a stand alone and discount it like they did with the online mode for ghost of Tsushima

I think sony cares more about moving $60 copies than using the free to play live service model for this type of IP and I think that make sense because its not like the F2P model is easy to do. Just look at what is happening with Halo infinite, I think that game would have been better off just being a full priced, full package game instead of going to the free 2 play route.
Factions isnt just a mp game either. It's a full Destiny style PvE and PvP experience. If it was just a PvP mode or a battle royale mode, i could see it being a f2p game, but they want to do more with the IP by adding some story content in the game which likely points to a Destiny style PvE experience. They will definitely charge $70 for it.

SlimySnake

Game really didn't need a Remake.
Game doesnt need a PS4 remake since it is already playable on PS4.

However, if it is a true Next Gen only PS5 remake then thats fine. Lots of remakes skip a generation and turn out fine.

If it's just TLOU1 with TLOU2 quality visuals and gameplay enhancements then thats a gigantic waste of everyone's time. If they show us true next gen Matrix quality visuals with an equally impressive leap in enemy and NPC A.I, animations and never before seen gameplay mechanics not possible on last gen hardware then its fine. However, I guess we all know thats not going to happen and it will just be a straight port of a TLOU a la Demon Souls with TLOU2 AI and mechanics bolted on top.

The Last of Us series badly needs destruction. And I dont mean Control caliber destruction. I mean realistic destruction that impacts the entire environment around you. Let me go through walls by bombing them. Let me burn down furniture and walls with motolov cocktails. 90% of the game takes place with areas covered in vines and grass. Let me set them on fire with my flamethrower and have it spread around organically. Let the NPCs actually be aggressive like Ellie was in the very first TLOU E3 demo way back in 2012 now that you have an 8x more powerful CPU.

Anything short of this would be a massive disappointment. No one should be making PS4 games bound by Jaguar CPUs and 1.8 tflops GPUs in 2022.

However, if it is a true Next Gen only PS5 remake then thats fine. Lots of remakes skip a generation and turn out fine.

If it's just TLOU1 with TLOU2 quality visuals and gameplay enhancements then thats a gigantic waste of everyone's time. If they show us true next gen Matrix quality visuals with an equally impressive leap in enemy and NPC A.I, animations and never before seen gameplay mechanics not possible on last gen hardware then its fine. However, I guess we all know thats not going to happen and it will just be a straight port of a TLOU a la Demon Souls with TLOU2 AI and mechanics bolted on top.

The Last of Us series badly needs destruction. And I dont mean Control caliber destruction. I mean realistic destruction that impacts the entire environment around you. Let me go through walls by bombing them. Let me burn down furniture and walls with motolov cocktails. 90% of the game takes place with areas covered in vines and grass. Let me set them on fire with my flamethrower and have it spread around organically. Let the NPCs actually be aggressive like Ellie was in the very first TLOU E3 demo way back in 2012 now that you have an 8x more powerful CPU.

Anything short of this would be a massive disappointment. No one should be making PS4 games bound by Jaguar CPUs and 1.8 tflops GPUs in 2022.
Then it’s gonna be a massive disappointment..

Remaking a game thst was released less than ten years ago that’s perfectly playable on a PS5 already. What a fucking joke.
I don't get this take...

TLOU Part 2 is a technical masterpiece on the PS4. I can't imagine how good the PS5 remake will look, why wouldn't you want to play that instead of the PS4 version?

Naughty Dog isn’t making the remake from what I understand so its not like this project is stopping them from doing something else.

Factions isnt just a mp game either. It's a full Destiny style PvE and PvP experience. If it was just a PvP mode or a battle royale mode, i could see it being a f2p game, but they want to do more with the IP by adding some story content in the game which likely points to a Destiny style PvE experience. They will definitely charge $70 for it.
Idk if they would want to put factions behind a $70 paywall. I am really interested to see how the release plays out.

Last edited:

Rykan

I don't get this take...

TLOU Part 2 is a technical masterpiece on the PS4. I can't imagine how good the PS5 remake will look, why wouldn't you want to play that instead of the PS4 version?

Naughty Dog isn’t making the remake from what I understand so its not like this project is stopping them from doing something else.
It's just a bit weird that they chose to remake this game when there are so many other games that could benefit from a remake. If we include the remaster, there are will be more rereleases of the first game than actual sequels.

kyliethicc

It's just a bit weird that they chose to remake this game when there are so many other games that could benefit from a remake. If we include the remaster, there are will be more rereleases of the first game than actual sequels.
Naughty Dog didn’t chose to remake it.

A different team did, in an attempt to prove they could become more than just a support studio.

They also looked at remaking the first God of War or Uncharted, but those would take even longer and cost even more.

SlimySnake

I don't get this take...

Idk if they would want to put factions behind a $70 paywall. I am really interested to see how the release plays out.
Nd is making the remake. The vsg studio that started the remake was forced to give it up after nd shipped tlou2 and had nothing to work on. They began to take a bigger role in the game until the original vsg directors quit likely forced out like Amy henning. Then they completely took over the project while vsg went back to being a support studio.

Or so the story goes according to jachrier who was right about other details in the same story like nd meddling with Sony bends uncharted reboot and days gone 2 not getting greenlit by Sony.

Faction’s is being made by the mp team, but the sp guys are now doing the remake.

ZoukGalaxy

A remake ? 😵‍💫🤔
Whats Wrong With You GIF by RK3

Last edited:

Elysion

Banned
90% of the game takes place with areas covered in vines and grass. Let me set them on fire with my flamethrower and have it spread around organically.

I’d like that too, but you don’t need super-powerful hardware to do this. Far Cry 2 did it back in 2008 on PS360, and BotW does something similar on Switch. And unlike TLoU, both of those games are open world. Whether the TLoU remake will have this kind of destruction or not depends entirely on ND‘s priorities, not on the hardware it‘s on. If they‘d wanted to, ND could have easily implemented something like that in the original TLoU on PS3.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
The award for the most unnecessary remake of all time goes too….
This isn't like a movie remake where they usually fuck it up by adding to it or completely missing the point of the original, this is fucking ND remaking the absolute pinnacle of videogames, they're not going to add unnecessary shite or tonally change it in anyway all they're doing is taking an amazing game from 2013 and applying a 2022 graphical sheen to it and if that doesn't interest you in any shape or form, then more fool you.. i for one am totally down to replay it with PS5 level graphics, not just for the amazing story and locales but to see what ND can wring out of the PS5

nikolino840

This isn't like a movie remake where they usually fuck it up by adding to it or completely missing the point of the original, this is fucking ND remaking the absolute pinnacle of videogames, they're not going to add unnecessary shite or tonally change it in anyway all they're doing is taking an amazing game from 2013 and applying a 2022 graphical sheen to it and if that doesn't interest you in any shape or form, then more fool you.. i for one am totally down to replay it with PS5 level graphics, not just for the amazing story and locales but to see what ND can wring out of the PS5
Better wait the ps6 version

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

I think the remake may not be PS5 level exclusive and may be more of a Director’s Cut++. Pushing PS4 like TLoU2 did to bring it in line with it, certainly not a span above it. I could see TLoU2 getting an small enhancement patch though.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I think the remake may not be PS5 level exclusive and may be more of a Director’s Cut++. Pushing PS4 like TLoU2 did to bring it in line with it, certainly not a span above it. I could see TLoU2 getting an small enhancement patch though.
I assumed they would utilize the remake of TLOU to hone their skillz on the PS5 tbh

Neil Druckman.

Watch them overwrite previous character intentions etc to better fall inline with 2's retcons.

Wrong. Another studio started the Remake.

Also TLOU2 doesn't retcon anything.....

Joel killed a doctor who could do brain surgery and potentially make a vaccine in an appocalypse.

That's a fact and people not thinking that that would piss off a lot of people make zero sense.

Last edited:

FingerBang

It'd be cool if there were some Ellie and Joel added chapters to bridge between TLOU1 and 2

Really tie part 1 and 2 together into one big game
Some Joel time before TLOU and some time between TLOU 1 and 2 would be great, but I also think it might ruin the shocking ending for the people who never played it.

Naw, it came out two years after Dead Space and thats getting a Remake also.

These games came out on 2006 hardware.
Neither game needs a remake; 360/PS3 games look just fine when remastered to 1080p-4K/60fps. It’s not like it’s a remake of an PS1/N64 game that could actually benefit from more modern hardware to a significant degree.

Remasters don’t take long to make, but the fact companies are starting to do full on remakes of games that are barely two gens old is indicative of an industry that’s out of ideas.

kyliethicc

It'd be cool if there were some Ellie and Joel added chapters to bridge between TLOU1 and 2

Really tie part 1 and 2 together into one big game
Those were the flashbacks in Part 2 lol.

The Prologue in Part 2 is like weeks after Part 1 ends.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Idk, the game on ps4 still looks great imo, i played it last year

GymWolf

Lol dude you are gonna be severely disappointed if those are your expectations...

Last edited:

SlimySnake

i dont think that dude has a fucking clue how games work lol some of those "expectations" where laughable
LMAO. What are you five? You dont need to know how games work to have expectations you doofus. Destruction, A.I enhancements, physics are laughable asks? Have you ever played Half Life 2? Valve knew physics were the next frontier way back in 2004. FEAR still has the best enemy A.I and that game came out in 2006. Far Cry 2 was doing wildfires in 2008. This has all been done before but devs have moved away from it because of a lack of an upgrade on the CPUs going from the PS3 gen to the PS4 gen. They can now finally have destruction, physics and good enemy A.I due to a massive upgrade in CPU and an equally impressive upgrade in GPU so devs no longer have to pick and choose between graphics and physics.

Lol dude you are gonna be severely disappointed if those are your expectations...
What exactly are your expectation from a next gen game? I know I am going to be disappointed because this is most likely a last gen game, but if its not then I expect a studio of Naughty Dog's caliber to lead the next gen enhancements we have all come to expect.

The Matrix demo has shown just how close we have come to photorealistic graphics. I remember when people would mock me for saying the Unreal Rebirth demo was possible on next gen consoles, and yet here we are doing that in an open world game no less. Besides, All this stuff has been done before in PS3 era games. See above. Just not in one game at the same time.

GymWolf

LMAO. What are you five? You dont need to know how games work to have expectations you doofus. Destruction, A.I enhancements, physics are laughable asks? Have you ever played Half Life 2? Valve knew physics were the next frontier way back in 2004. FEAR still has the best enemy A.I and that game came out in 2006. Far Cry 2 was doing wildfires in 2008. This has all been done before but devs have moved away from it because of a lack of an upgrade on the CPUs going from the PS3 gen to the PS4 gen. They can now finally have destruction, physics and good enemy A.I due to a massive upgrade in CPU and an equally impressive upgrade in GPU so devs no longer have to pick and choose between graphics and physics.

What exactly are your expectation from a next gen game? I know I am going to be disappointed because this is most likely a last gen game, but if its not then I expect a studio of Naughty Dog's caliber to lead the next gen enhancements we have all come to expect.

The Matrix demo has shown just how close we have come to photorealistic graphics. I remember when people would mock me for saying the Unreal Rebirth demo was possible on next gen consoles, and yet here we are doing that in an open world game no less. Besides, All this stuff has been done before in PS3 era games. See above. Just not in one game at the same time.
I think that your expectations for a tlou remake are absurd, not in general.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

It’s just gonna look like TLOU2, but remastered. Slight graphics settings bump, 60 FPS. Maybe some RT at 30 FPS.

The entire point is to make Part 1 look like Part 2. Same engine, same assets.

yurinka

According to Bloomberg they already were working on the remake when Hermen became head of PS Studios back in 2019. So it's fair to assume that the remake would be ready to release H2 2022 or H1 2023.

The TLOU2 MP game started as a MP game mode for TLOU so even if they may have expanded it after branching it off to a separate standalone game, they already had many work done before the TLOU2 release back in 2020. It would depend on how much do they expand it, but I think it's possible also to see it released H2 2022 or H1 2023.

I can see both bundled with TLOU2 in a Director's Cut for PS5, with a PC release being released like half a year later or so. That's what I'd do it. I would release all this a few months before summer 2023, when the TLOU tv show will be released. And the PC port some months after the tv show release.

In fact, I'd move the Factions modes, characters or locations to the TLOU2 MP game, so that game would be the MP for both TLOU1 remake and TLOU2 instead of having a TLOU1 factions game mode in the remake.

Hold on what about last of us 3?
They'll do it, but the U4+ULL remaster for PS5 & PC, the TLOU1 remake, the TLOU2 MP game and pretty likely the TLOU PS5 version require work.

Seems that in addition to this they also have been working in at least a new Uncharted game, and I bet they also are overviewing some outsourcing team working on Nathan Drake Collection remasters for PS5 and PC.

They have been growing a lot, and I assume that once they release all these TLOU1&2 projects they'll move to go full production of TLOU3 and a new IP, which I assume they had in preproduction for years with a small team making prototypes, drafts of the story, artworks and pitches.

Last edited:
According to Bloomberg they already were working on the remake when Hermen became head of PS Studios back in 2019. So it's fair to assume that the remake would be ready to release H2 2022 or H1 2023.

The TLOU2 MP game started as a MP game mode for TLOU so even if they may have expanded it after branching it off to a separate standalone game, they already had many work done before the TLOU2 release back in 2020. It would depend on how much do they expand it, but I think it's possible also to see it released H2 2022 or H1 2023.

I can see both bundled with TLOU2 in a Director's Cut for PS5, with a PC release being released like half a year later or so.

They’ve already said multiplayer will be stand alone

yurinka

They’ve already said multiplayer will be stand alone
This is what I said.

But I think that in addition to sell it separatedly (who knows, maybe it's even F2P) I think they can also bundle it in a Director's Cut with TLOU2.

Or to blundle TLOU1R & TLOU2 PS5 in the Director's Cut. Or to bundle TLOU1R+TLOU2+TLOU2 MP game in the Director's Cut.

As we seen in many other games re-released in PS5 with some improvements and extra DLC or some other game bundled, I think they'll do the same with TLOU2. They'll sell it again for PS5 (likely with a PC port following some months later) and that the 'extra content' bundled this time would be the TLOU1R or the TLOU2 MP game, or both.

This is compatible with selling the TLOU1 remake and TLOU2 MP separatedly outside the bundle.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

It’s just gonna look like TLOU2, but remastered. Slight graphics settings bump, 60 FPS. Maybe some RT at 30 FPS.

The entire point is to make Part 1 look like Part 2. Same engine, same assets.
Jason's article that revealed the existence of a remake specifically pointed to the remake being a PS5 game.

Michael Mumbauer, who took over direction of the Visual Arts Service Group in 2007, recruited a group of about 30 developers, internally and from neighboring game studios, to form a new development unit within Sony. The idea was to expand upon some of the company’s most successful franchises and the team began working on a remake of the 2013 hit The Last of Us for the PlayStation 5.

It would be freaking idiotic to start a PS4 remake in 2018. The ND team took over the project in 2020 after shipping TLOU2 in June. To have a team of that caliber start working on a last gen game 5 months before the launch of a next gen console is borderline retarded. Even bluepoint didnt do this and they began work on Demon Souls in 2018.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Jason's article that revealed the existence of a remake specifically pointed to the remake being a PS5 game.

It would be freaking idiotic to start a PS4 remake in 2018. The ND team took over the project in 2020 after shipping TLOU2 in June. To have a team of that caliber start working on a last gen game 5 months before the launch of a next gen console is borderline retarded. Even bluepoint didnt do this and they began work on Demon Souls in 2018.
It’s not a PS4 or PS5 thing.

You’ve seen the remake yourself already. The TLOU2 prologue.

Top Bottom