• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Tom Henderson] Naughty Dog's The Last of Us Remake and Factions are nearly finished, could release in the second half of this year

Lupin25

The TLOU Remake didn’t seem to be exactly what Sony wanted, for those of us who can remember Jason’s article indicting ND last year.

I recall some internal devs taking the liberty of remaking the game to prove their independence, but the product ended up back in ND’s hands once Herman Hulst was promoted, because production for it got expensive...

It seems the remake could be an all-out PS5 exclusive as part of a TLOU2 Director’s Cut expansion, just like they’ve done with Death Stranding & Ghost of Tsushima.

They’ll definitely release this when the series is ready to air.

zkorejo

It was promised in the early days of the TLOU2 preorder campaign to be included in the game. https://www.polygon.com/e3/2018/6/13/17460850/the-last-of-us-part-2-multiplayer-e3-2018

I loved Factions 1 and was one of the dummies who pre-ordered TLOU2 super early fully expecting to get Factions 2. ND stripped it out, and TLOU2 still shipped full price with no multiplayer component.

We should NOT have to pay for Factions 2. It's complete bullshit it's taken this long already.
I get you. I got the game day 1 expecting a patch in a few months ala GTA v/ RDR. It never came. I sold my copy and have no interest in getting/playing Tlou2 ever again. I would rather pay half the price for factions alone. And that's after reviews ofcourse. If they fucked it up too then I won't.

So we've had TLOU then we had TLOU remastered and now we're having (weather we like it or not) TLOU remake, what a complete waste of resources to have this incredible studio remake an old game 🙄
It's easy money and maybe they replace Joel and Elly with the actors from the series to push it.

I understand its gonna make plenty money but ND I'm sure want to make new games. I'm excited to see new stuff from ND not this and a MP only game.
In my opinion only games older than PS3/360 or dead multiplayergames deserve remakes/remasters, but look at it this way: Remakes/remasters make the studios money for new projects with comparatively low effort and if you were the boss you wouldn't pass on that easy money either.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Demon's Souls PS3 2009
Demon's Souls PS5 2020
11 years.

The Last of Us PS3 2013
The Last of Us PS5 2022
9 years.

Not that different.

Demon's Souls PS3 2009
Demon's Souls PS5 2020

The Last of Us PS3 2013
The Last of Us PS4 2014
The Last of Us PS5 2022

Pretty different.

I’ve platted PS3 & PS4 and 100% Left Behind both times but yeah, I’ll skip this.

SpokkX

Is this the most unwanted remake in history?

it really shows sony playing it safe - they obviously think this is an easy way to more $$

Last edited:
You just know these guys have to be pretty far up their own asses to be remaking a game from 2013. Who wants to go back to that game anyway now that you know what happens to the father-daughter duo. Great, let's go wallow in some misery ahead of the real misery coming later. Fun times.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
You just know these guys have to be pretty far up their own asses to be remaking a game from 2013. Who wants to go back to that game anyway now that you know what happens to the father-daughter duo. Great, let's go wallow in some misery ahead of the real misery coming later. Fun times.

The 7 year olds from 2013 are now 16 years old.

The Last of Us Remake isn't for us.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
So many people questioning the existence of the TLOU remake seem to have a very limited understanding of Sony's growth plan and are forgetting that there is a new wave of gamers incoming very soon with the release of the TLOU HBO TV show.

A lot of casual gamers would jump in for the first time, and Sony doesn't want to introduce them to their gaming ecosystem with a 10-year old game. That poor first impression would kill off Sony's cross-pollination plan with new releases, e.g., Twisted Metal, Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon Zero Dawn, Bloodborne, etc.

When casual TV gamers jump in to play TLOU, they will be greeted with a PS5 exclusive TLOU remake with beautiful graphics and modern control systems. That'd also encourage them to buy PS5s, not PS4s.

Even if someone doesn't like the idea of a TLOU remake, you can't argue that this is a genius business move -- one that'd not only help ND grow but all of PlayStation Studios.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I’ve literally just completed it again. It’s still the GOAT but I don’t get the point of a full remake…will pick it up on sale though. just weird, I get it’s all to tie up with the TV show but couldn’t we just have a new game?

So many people questioning the existence of the TLOU remake seem to have a very limited understanding of Sony's growth plan and are forgetting that there is a new wave of gamers incoming very soon with the release of the TLOU HBO TV show.

A lot of casual gamers would jump in for the first time, and Sony doesn't want to introduce them to their gaming ecosystem with a 10-year old game. That poor first impression would kill off Sony's cross-pollination plan with new releases, e.g., Twisted Metal, Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon Zero Dawn, Bloodborne, etc.

When casual TV gamers jump in to play TLOU, they will be greeted with a PS5 exclusive TLOU remake with beautiful graphics and modern control systems. That'd also encourage them to buy PS5s, not PS4s.

Even if someone doesn't like the idea of a TLOU remake, you can't argue that this is a genius business move -- one that'd not only help ND grow but all of PlayStation Studios.
Genius? This is a cash grab plain and simple, people who watch TV programmes don't play games, time is precious in this day and age. You're looking at this as some sort of masterstroke when it's nothing more than Sony milking TLOU cash cow.

tommib

Genius? This is a cash grab plain and simple, people who watch TV programmes don't play games, time is precious in this day and age. You're looking at this as some sort of masterstroke when it's nothing more than Sony milking TLOU cash cow.
People who watch TV don’t play videogames… you heard it here first ladies and germs.

That’s why there’s endless videogame adaptions on tv and cinema, right? WTF.

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
I will be skipping this I hope they don't hold Last of Us 2 Remastered hostage and the only way to get it is bundled with the remake. I still haven't played Last of Us 2 and waiting for the eventual remaster.

Fake

So we've had TLOU then we had TLOU remastered and now we're having (weather we like it or not) TLOU remake, what a complete waste of resources to have this incredible studio remake an old game 🙄

This. Is crazy people saying 'I want this remake' instead of a new IP when back in time TLOUS was a new IP before UC being saturation.

People who watch TV don’t play videogames… you heard it here first ladies and germs.

That’s why there’s endless videogame adaptions on tv and cinema, right? WTF.
Endless? Are you dense? Most game to film or TV adaptations have limited success as the demographic is largely very different. Stop trying to be a smart ass because you're terrible at it, you're witless goober.

It gives the bulk of the studio something to work on while the next game is in pre production.

It makes perfect sense. Otherwise you'd have to let a load of people go

Really? Well that would be a good move for people on the fence about upgrading.

Quote from Jason's article

He thought the remake project was too expensive, according to people familiar with the matter, and asked why the planned budget for T1X was so much higher than remakes Sony had made in the past. The reason was that this one was on a brand new graphical engine for the PlayStation 5.

The implication that this is cross-gen would mean all of Naughty Dog's future games on their next-gen engine could be cross-gen too. I'll wager it's definitely not coming to PS4

kyliethicc

Oh this is coming to PS4 you can bet your ass on that.
Nah per Schreier's article, the entire point of this remake is make a PS5 version of TLOU, and pair it with a PS5 TLOU2 port. They already have both games on PS4. Sorta like how Death Stranding Director's Cut is PS5 only.

The TLOU multiplayer game is probably cross gen tho.

ZywyPL

Banned

While all this makes sense, what are the odds that people who will play the remake aren't the same people who already played the original/remaster, which sits at what, 20M units sold by now? How much will they expand their audience with it? Not by much IMO, if at all.

That's what their PC/mobile strategy is for, to expand beyond their already established/stagnant PS audience, which is basically the same people over and over who just migrate onto new generations. Because who buys PS5? Mostly people who had PS4. And Who bought PS4? People who had PS3. And so on. People who migrate between PS/XB/PC with ever new gen are virtually non-existent.

It gives the bulk of the studio something to work on while the next game is in pre production.

It makes perfect sense. Otherwise you'd have to let a load of people go

Nonsense.
Negotiator's drive-by" post was uncalled for, specially since that's exactly what's happening:

Naughty Dog staff were reportedly moved onto a The Last of Us remake because they had nothing else to do while the studio's next project was in pre-production.

Speaking on the MinnMax Show, reporter Jason Schreier offered more information about his recent article which claimed that some Naughty Dog staff were working on the remake in tandem with Sony support studio VASG. When the host suggested that remaking the 2013 game was a waste of the team's talent, Schreier responded "but what else are they going to do right now?"

He went on to explain: "Neil Druckmann and some other creative directors go off in a room somewhere and say 'what do we want to make next?'... [Meanwhile] you have hundreds of people at the studio who don't have a lot to work on." Schreier acknowledged that a The Last of Us 2 multiplayer project appeared to be in the works but was unlikely to need an all-hands approach from staff.

Moving staff members who weren't needed for that to the remake provides that work, but Schreier points out that it also "gets them used to working with the PS5 which they haven't done before. It's something for people to do for the next year or so while the other things are in pre-production."
Source

It was a way for Naughty Dog to have part of their production team working on a smaller scale project while their next big project was in pre-production...probably the new IP Naughty Dog have been working on, plus they would get more familiar with PS5's devkits...

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Wait didn't this game get made for PS3 on the initial then remade for PS4 Pro? or am I thinking of something else?

That was a Remaster rather than remake. So this is thought to be closer to a Demon Souls style remake instead of a Spiderman style remaster with better frames and textures.

Last edited:
I really enjoyed factions on the original so new one would be great. I don't see the point in a remake for the original though. It still looks great. I wouldn't buy it (if I had a PS5)

Do you guys think they'd go as far as to re-record all dialog with Pedro and Bella for the face swap?

Nightmare fuel.
I'd expect them to know how to separate things. Sony more than anyone should know the how movies and videogames can be different.

But now i'm imagining an Uncharted reboot with Tom Holland's face and i'm laughing so thanks for that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom