• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Tom Henderson] Official PlayStation 5 “Pro” Controllers Coming Soon

rofif

Banned
Seems unnecessary. They should fix the battery in dualsense first...
It's so short lasting and it will die someday as it is internal... I would much prefer AA rechargeables with optional battery pack. Everyone would be happy.

Removing sticks make no sense if it's not the whole unit. If it is the whole unit then good. Should be cheap to fix failing sticks.
Paddles on the back? meh.... I really don't like them. too much stuff
New grips could be ok. The current setup is very nice and comfortable but the pattern gets dirty easily.

The buttons under analog sticks sounded great (no longer pressing the stick to crouch ?!) but then I've noticed it's only for removing the sticks.
I just really hope they will not move to clicky microswitch buttons like xbox controller. I got new Series controller and the dpad makes the most annoying sounds ever. It's so distracting. I prefer rubber domes classic buttons.

Elbereth

Happy Antonio Banderas GIF

The Xbox controller feels much more comfortable in the hands than the PlayStation one. Even Nintendo adopted the asymmetrical layout with their Switch Pro controller. It’s just better.
But if you look at the satisfye type grips for switch, they don't make the left and right side the same, they make you swing out your right hand some to make the lower stick make more sense.
It's definitely not cut and dry.

Kacho

Gold Member
But if you look at the satisfye type grips for switch, they don't make the left and right side the same, they make you swing out your right hand some to make the lower stick make more sense.
It's definitely not cut and dry.
Is that for the joycons?

FUBARx89

Thank god. I hate not having back buttons on my controllers. Clicking the sticks in suck, and for games like Elden Ring I can set the circle button to sprint so I can run and move the camera at the same time. Only good news.

You mean to tell me you haven't adopted the claw grip for souls games?

What is this witchcraft?

Yeah the joycons in general are a travesty. It's why I only use the pro controller when I play on my Switch.
I get that, but it doesn't change the ergonomics of having a lower thumbstick. The grip would have both sides like the left side if it didn't make a difference.

About damn time, one of my dual sense R2 is already fukd. Some weird shit is going on with the R2 button kept on being pressed down when I’m not even touching the controller. So yeah I’m in with this Pro controller day one

skit_data

I wonder what more hardware-related they are planning to show. They haven’t had a proper ”This is the PSVR2”-video so I imagine that could be one of the things.

Tommi84

Can you also, please please please, make a smaller version for those unfortunate like me that finds the Dualsense tad too small big?

No :(? That's ok. I will live, somehow.

Last edited:

Larxia

Do you have a genetic anomaly where your hands aren’t symmetrical?
I often see these type of comments, about people who don't understand why many prefer the asymmetrical design, like if our thumbs / hands weren't symmetrical. But that's the thing, asymmetrical sticks is actually more "symmetrical" when you hold the controller, because most of the time you will have your left thumb on the left stick, and your right thumb on the buttons, for like 90% of your playtime, since the right stick is a secondary stick for camera controls. So asymmetrical actually make your thumbs positionned symmetrically when playing.

Last edited:

skit_data

Can you also, please please please, make a smaller version for those unfortunate like me that finds the Dualsense tad too small?

No :(? That's ok. I will live, somehow.
You want a smaller version because the Dualsense is too small? :eek:

I find it just a little little too big, Dualshock 4 was absolutely perfect.

Swift_Star

Banned
I often see these type of comments, about people who don't understand why many prefer the asymmetrical design, like if our thumbs / hands weren't symmetrical. But that's the thing, asymmetrical sticks is actually more "symmetrical" when you hold the controller, because most of the time you will have your left thumb on the left stick, and your right thumb on the buttons, for like 90% of your playtime, since the right stick is a secondary stick for camera controls. So asymmetrical actually make your thumbs positionned symmetrically when playing.
Yeah, that makes no sense, depending on the game, you'll use the right stick, trigger and bumpers more than the face buttons, on fps, shooter games and racing games in general, for example. Should the right stick and face buttons change place? The only reason this argument exists is for console war purposes.
We all know there's no objectively superior stick placement and it all boils down to preference.

Last edited:
The Xbox controller feels much more comfortable in the hands than the PlayStation one. Even Nintendo adopted the asymmetrical layout with their Switch Pro controller. It’s just better.

No, most of the time my right hand is on the analog stick moving the camera

Last edited:
The one change we'll never get is having the small directional arrows on the Dpad and button symbols also light up in blue. Would also be nice just to get another back paddle attachment but I'm not sure that's going to happen.

arvfab

Banned
You mean to tell me you haven't adopted the claw grip for souls games?

What is this witchcraft?
Claw grip is the reason I've bought an AIM DualSense. Don't care about competitive shooters or other stuff, but not having to make unhealthy movements with my hands and fingers, was well worth the price.

Asymmetric stick layout does feel better. I suspect it might be because the left stick is normally pressed upwards while the right stick is pressed left and right and asymmetric might be a more natural fit then. I'm open to symmetric sticks on top being the best but I haven't used that layout enough to say.

So yeah, I hope Sony allows switching the stick and d-pad, though I realize it's a long shot.

Last edited:

SilentUser

Probably won't buy one. More interested in the part that say "Sony is set to unveil several new bits of hardware at the end of this month (not a new console)".

Top Bottom