• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Tom Henderson] Official PlayStation 5 “Pro” Controllers Coming Soon

TLZ

Banned
Cool... But I'd rather they let us customise our own controllers. Something like Xbox design lab.

Zannegan

Dammit. I wanted back buttons/paddles to be standard this gen. Both MS and Sony left them for the pro crowd, and I refuse to pay the upcharge for one feature alongside a bunch of extras that don't mean anything to me, especially with stick drift being rampant.

If they're not insultingly expensive, I'll grab one with my PS5 pro or slim, whenever that happens to be a thing one can buy without staking out a twitter feed.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Dammit. I wanted back buttons/paddles to be standard this gen. Both MS and Sony left them for the pro crowd, and I refuse to pay the upcharge for one feature alongside a bunch of extras that don't mean anything to me, especially with stick drift being rampant.

If they're not insultingly expensive, I'll grab one with my PS5 pro or slim, whenever that happens to be a thing one can buy without staking out a twitter feed.
I really thought when they released the back button attachment for the DS4 that this gen would have them standard

Wohc

Banned
Actually isn't that just your opinion or do you have scientific proof of that?

Both hands relaxed on XB controller = thumbs on analog stick + buttons
Both hands relaxed on PS controller = thumbs on d-pad + buttons

Relaxed is more enjoyable than stretchet out. So i would say it depends on the game what is better.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Took me a long time getting used to back paddles but once you do its a major difference and you wont go back
This.

Moving my thumb from right stick equals losing controllability. I've had 4 back buttons for the last 5 years and can't go back to a standard controller.

I modified my Dualsense with eXtremeRate Rise4 and they work really well - better than the Scuf and AIM controlles I've had.

d79fc04e-ae9d-4f9c-a9fd-9030b6be9131.__CR0,130,1920,820_PT0_SX1464_V1___.jpg

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
This.

Moving my thumb from right stick equals losing controllability. I've had 4 back buttons for the last 5 years and can't go back to a standard controller.

I modified my Dualsense with eXtremeRate Rise4 and they work really well - better than the Scuf and AIM controlles I've had.

I started using the Astro C40 controller and while it only had 2 back buttons they were still super useful once you got used to them plus it has trigger stops

7WcXHY5.jpg

8BiTw0LF

Banned
I started using the Astro C40 controller and while it only had 2 back buttons they were still super useful once you got used to them plus it has trigger stops

7WcXHY5.jpg
I have trigger stops on my Elite controller, but they still travel too far to be called trigger stops imo - they should be clickable like a mouse button 😂

Kontrol Freeks are also an overseen addition to get better aim and control in general.

tofFrkk.jpg

I think majority of Xbox gamers uses Microsoft's Mute/volume attachments, or any 3rd party attachments.

The price of those has gone through the roof though. Would be nice to just have it built into controllers, especially when you're paying "pro" prices like this controller or Elite 2 for example.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
The dual sense is already the most pro/elite controller in the space. I have multiple Xbox Elite controllers, and they don't come close to the dual sense in terms of quality. My only issues with the dual sense come from the fact I am too used to the Xbox controllers, but the more comfortable I become with the dual sense, the less I like my Xbox controllers.

Last edited:

Quantum253

Are there any large advantages to owning a "pro" model controller outside of competitive play? I can understand if a Pro version would give you higher-end parts, which would correct stick drift or more responsive button feedback. It seems that these issues still remain even in pro-level controllers. I wouldn't mind trying a layout with back paddles or buttons, but the cost always stopped me from jumping in. A few years ago at PAX, I almost got a Scuf PS4 controller but $300 was too much just to try something out

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Are there any large advantages to owning a "pro" model controller outside of competitive play? I can understand if a Pro version would give you higher-end parts, which would correct stick drift or more responsive button feedback. It seems that these issues still remain even in pro-level controllers. I wouldn't mind trying a layout with back paddles or buttons, but the cost always stopped me from jumping in. A few years ago at PAX, I almost got a Scuf PS4 controller but $300 was too much just to try something out
The real advantage is you can feel how you're getting better at games, cause you don't lose controllability.

jaysius

Banned
This.

That grippy part is fucking hot.

Was it hard to do? how are the paddles?

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I have trigger stops on my Elite controller, but they still travel too far to be called trigger stops imo - they should be clickable like a mouse button 😂

Kontrol Freeks are also an overseen addition to get better aim and control in general.

tofFrkk.jpg
A buddy of mine swears by these. Not for every game, mainly shooters and the like. I still have yet to try them, always forget about getting them.

Quantum253

The real advantage is you can feel how you're getting better at games, cause you don't lose controllability.
I'll have to find a Scuf on the used market and give it a try. Maybe I'm missing something I never knew I was since I've only ever used a standard controller (whatever shipped with the system)

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Fucking finally. I'm hoping for 4 paddles, but won't complain too much if it's just 2. Just happy to have an official option. Have been so close to buying these overpriced alternatives.

Top Bottom