• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Henderson: Sony aiming to ship 30 million PS5s in FY2023

GymWolf

"Damage"

Sorry, I can't help but laugh at such overly dramatic sentiments. Sony planned for year 1 of the PS5 to be filled to the brim with current gen and cross gen titles so that their entire userbase would get something exciting to play. It just happened that 3 of their heavy hitter titles got pushed to 2022 and the originally planned 2022 content got pushed to 2023, and that's where we're at. It really isn't any more complex than that.

I'm curious, if all these games had come out before the end of 2021 and we were now deep into current gen only titles with only the occasional cross-gen title here and there, how would you feel on the matter?
The difference between you and me is that i didn't wanted any fucking crossgen game on my nextgen console to begin with, so the damage was already done indipendently of when these games were released, year 1 or 2 is not important, it's their existence as crossgen games that bothers me.

Of course damage is bit of an overdramatic word, but if i can't get "mad" when my number 1 and 2 gotg from past gen have both their sequel turned into crossgen, i don't know what other videogame related thing should get me feel something...

You don't care and it's ok, but many people care, so yeah, until they make 2-3 years without a single important game being crossgen i'm not gonna trust them.

I said many many times that i was perfectly ok with having both horizon and gow by mid gen so yeah, i would have been perfectly ok with the gigantic amount of 2 games not being present in the first 1-3 years of console life, i play all type of games, not only AAA so i have always plenty of stuff to play on all platforms, 2 games are fucking nothing (3 if we count morales spin off but i'm kinda ok with that one being crossgen, it is not that important)

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Honestly, good luck to them. That's an ambitious number and one worthy of praise if they hit it.

Did the switch ever hit 30 mill in a year?

Most people buying a ps5 this holiday or next year will be spoiled with choice between whats been released and whats on ps plus extra. Lets say you hold off on buying cross gen games until you upgrade you got

• Demon’s Souls
  • Astros Playroom
  • Miles Morales (people have probably broken down and played this by now on ps4)
  • Returnal
  • Rift Apart
  • Sackboy
  • Iki Island expansion
  • FF7 Intergrade
  • Kena
  • Horizon Forbidden West
  • Gran Turismo 7
  • God of War
  • last of us
Etc. sony has been releasing games almost non-stop either first or big 3rd party games, since launch, i dont think anyone picking up a PS5 will be wondering what to play. The only people that complain about the game selection are the multiplatform holders that have had a ps5 since day one and wait around just to play exclusives
You forgot Stray. Also Death stranding is really good, way better than expected for me. Still most of those games are or will soon be playable on PC.

3liteDragon

yeah but the naysayers will swear sony deceived them in the same way about miles, horizon and god of war
The hints were there in the announcement trailers which admittedly I didn't even pick up on lol.

PlayStation Exclusive - PS5, PS4
PlayStation Console Exclusive - PS5, PS4, PC
PlayStation 5 Console Exclusive - PS5, PC

But Insomniac explicitly confirming both games (Spider-Man 2 & Wolverine) will be PS5-only pretty much confirms it's not coming to PS4.

VEKBnSa.png
WPYbjtQ.png

Last edited:
It is not for what he said lately dude, the damage was already done by their past actions, they can say whatever they want with their pr talks.

I need a couple of years without important games being crossgen to re-gain my trust in them.

is cross gen really that big a deal? its just a minor annoyance. a game is a game and whether its cross gen or not doesnt really decide the quality. you also need to get out of your emotions and understand the actual situation here. cross gen has only went on so long because we had a pandemic that slowed everything down. how silly is it to release games exclusively on a system that is unavailabe to buy for the average person? to this day you still cant find a PS5 whenever you want. i think you'll be pleased next year with the announcement of more current gen only games.

Last edited:

vivftp

The difference between you and me is that i didn't wanted any fucking crossgen game on my nextgen console to begin with, so the damage was already done indipendently of when these games were released, year 1 or 2 is not important, it's their existence as crossgen games that bothers me.

Of course damage is bit of an overdramatic word, but if i can't get "mad" when my number 1 and 2 gotg from past gen have both their sequel turned into crossgen, i don't know what other videogame related thing should get me feel something...

You don't care and it's ok, but many people care, so yeah, until they make 2-3 years without a single important game being crossgen i'm not gonna trust them.

I said many many times that i was perfectly ok with having both horizon and gow by mid gen so yeah, i would have been perfectly ok with the gigantic amount of 2 games not being present in the first 1-3 years of console life, i play all type of games, not only AAA so i have always plenty of stuff to play on all platforms, 2 games are fucking nothing (3 if we count morales spin off but i'm kinda ok with that one being crossgen, it is not that important)

Cross-gen is ALWAYS a thing and will always be a thing. Sony's always been about supporting their previous gen customers for a period of time after the new console launches. This is nothing new, this is the norm.

I also find it hilarious that some of these cross gen games that folks are getting upset over are some of the best looking games in existence. Having this mindset that your ability to enjoy these games is somehow tainted because the unwashed masses of last gen will also get to enjoy them in a lesser form will never stop being amusing to me. You're getting top of the line games that are second to none, enjoy them for what they are instead of whatever your imagination thinks they could've been if they had been current gen only.

Anyways, before I get too preachy maybe it's best if we just move on.

GymWolf

is cross gen really that big a deal? its just a minor annoyance. a game is a game and whether its cross gen or not doesnt really decide the qaulity. you also need to get out of your emotions and understand the actual situation here. cross gen has only went on so long because we had a pandemic that slowed everything down. how silly is it to release games exclusively on a system that is unavailabe to buy for the average person? to this day you still cant find a PS5 whenever you want. i think you'll be pleased next year with the announcement of more current gen only games.
If these games were not crossgen they would have relased by mid gen when ps5 should have been available for the majority of people, so your point is a bit mute.

Also i'm a final user, forgive me for being a bit selfish, i'm not a sony shareholder, i only care about the final results, i can't think about all the unlucky people who don't have a ps5, and for your information, sony sold more ps5 than ps5 in the same period of time (or very close), it's not like there are 2 millions of ps5 around, didn't they sold more than 20 mil already? gow and horizon are not games that sell 20 mil copies in a short amount of time anyway.

(sorry for the terrible english, i feel like it was at his worse here)

Last edited:

GymWolf

Cross-gen is ALWAYS a thing and will always be a thing. Sony's always been about supporting their previous gen customers for a period of time after the new console launches. This is nothing new, this is the norm.

I also find it hilarious that some of these cross gen games that folks are getting upset over are some of the best looking games in existence. Having this mindset that your ability to enjoy these games is somehow tainted because the unwashed masses of last gen will also get to enjoy them in a lesser form will never stop being amusing to me. You're getting top of the line games that are second to none, enjoy them for what they are instead of whatever your imagination thinks they could've been if they had been current gen only.

Anyways, before I get too preachy maybe it's best if we just move on.
False or at least not on this level, and i have discussed this to death in many other topics, before this gen we never had big exclusive first party like gow or horizon in the previous console.

You saying that means that we can close the discussion here, history rewriting is not my forte. (sorry if i sound like a jackass but it bothers me when people say that)

Also lol at thinking that the crossgen\nextgen thing is only a matter of graphic...you can be ok playing games that have to run on an ancient hardware, me and many others are not, simple as that.

Let's just agree to disagree on the matter.

P.s. not preachy at all, we just have different opinions:messenger_winking:

Last edited:

yazenov

30 million is an insane number. To put it into perspective, its more than half of the lifetime total sales of Xbox One in 1 year!

Last edited:
30 million is an insane number. To put it into perspective, its more than half of the lifetime total sales of Xbox One in 1 year!

A head-spinning number, for sure. I would wait for a confirmation from Sony, however, because gamers tend to indiscriminantly espouse any narrative on the internet.

Honestly, good luck to them. That's an ambitious number and one worthy of praise if they hit it.

Did the switch ever hit 30 mill in a year?
Nope, came very close though. Nintendo DS is the only platform to have ever achieved it. The Nintendo Wii and Switch are the only other platforms to have ever achieved 25 million in a single year.

KzJjG2O.png

6hlp0IW.png

Last edited:

Jaybe

With the detachable drive version upcoming, seems like the diskless PS5 becomes the main SKU with the option to buy the blu-Ray reader. So perhaps the believe the lower price point will push already pent up demand and they can manufacture enough with this streamline model. Or ‘sources’ are just wrong on the 30 million number.

Last edited:

John Wick

I know Sony had said a while ago they wanted to break their all time fiscal year record, which is like 22 million or something. So 23-25? Possible I guess. Spider-man 2 coming that fall, a new design, and maybe even a price cut. But 30 million? Doubt it.
Do you doubt it because Sony won't be able to make that many or sell that many?
In normal years I would agree a console wouldn't sell that many. But with shortages there are people who are already waiting

yurinka

Crazy that sony thinks they are gonna top their record of selling 22.5m ps5’s by 8 million
I'd bet Tom Henderson thinks that, but not Sony. The number sounds totally fake and unrealistic.

Sony only mentioned that they plan to outsell the PS4 number launch aligned, so I assume they plan something between 20 and 25, depending on chip availability.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The wait to buy a PS5 off the shelf (no bundles) and download Fortnite with one new GAAS title is almost over! Hold steady NeoGAF, we're almost there!

bitbydeath

Do you doubt it because Sony won't be able to make that many or sell that many?
In normal years I would agree a console wouldn't sell that many. But with shortages there are people who are already waiting

The numbers are only for shipping anyway and not selling through to the customer, the real hurdle would be getting the 30M created.

I'd bet Tom Henderson thinks that, but not Sony. The number sounds totally fake and unrealistic.

Sony only mentioned that they plan to outsell the PS4 number launch aligned, so I assume they plan something between 20 and 25, depending on chip availability.

Yeah he definitely misheard or misunderstood something there.

Sony even selling 22 million next year would be an astronomical success at a mostly 499.99 price point.

The switch sold 28 million but they have 3 sku’s and one of them is 150 dollars.

vivftp

Sony has said that they plan for the PS5 sales curve to surpass the PS4 sales curve at some point during the next FY, nothing more was said by them on the subject. We can do the math through and they'd have to sell more than 23 million PS5's by the end of March 2024 to be ahead of the PS4 launch aligned. There's no indication from Sony themselves on how high they could go, but that at least gives us a bare minimum figure to work with. This figure alone would be a new record for SIE.

Tom Henderson's been good with his data. He's got this leak about the PS5 revision due out next year and has given a breakdown of expected figures of the current models and the new model for the next FY. Today he also gave us the month the new model goes into production. No real reason to doubt his info at the moment.

Jaybe

Yeah he definitely misheard or misunderstood something there.

Sony even selling 22 million next year would be an astronomical success at a mostly 499.99 price point.

The switch sold 28 million but they have 3 sku’s and one of them is 150 dollars.
It will be tough but they are moving to the detachable disk drive model though, so perhaps digital ps5’s 399 price becomes the main price point. Between the heavy digital purchase ratio and now emboldened PS Plus tiers, makes some sense.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

Without a significant price cut i don't see how can they achieve 30 million in one year

They had so much momentum at the time I believe if they had the stock they could have sold 20 million on launch day.

I hope they get as many out as possible though so business decisions on cross gen will go away.

What is the significance of reporting the weight of hardware shipped?! What an utterly bizarre metric to quote.

That's like Capcom reporting they shipped 1 million cubic feet of game manuals last year. Like.... wut?!
They probably got the data from the weights indicated on shipping documents/bill of ladings. There are some providers that let you access certain import data for a fee.

yurinka

Is it not a 2023 release? Or am i mixing it up with spidey 2?
Both are from Insomniac, who typically released a year or more games per year, but recently -specially during covid- had a somewhat slower output.

So very likely one will be for 2023 (Spider-Man 2, made by the main Spider-Man team) and the other, still officially with a TBC date, for 2024 (Wolverine, made by the main Morales team).

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Without a significant price cut i don't see how can they achieve 30 million in one year
Not a price cut needed (though welcomed), units needed.

They already sold through almost 1 million units in the first 10 days of this fiscal year.

Last edited:

vivftp

Probably BS Rumor.
But even if Sony does target that number, they won't achieve it.

The highest ever total for Wii, Switch and PS2 didn't do this.

If they achieve this figure by the end of the next FY then that would put them 7-8 million units ahead of the PS4 overall for the same time period. They always meant for the PS5 to sell faster than the PS4 and they managed to do that up until the first 10 million units, but then they fell behind due to component shortages. This would be them trying to play catch-up to their originally intended plans. The PS5's relative popularity dwarfs that of the PS4. Do you not think the additional demand would warrant overcompensating with a larger than usual manufacturing push?

We know that officially Sony are aiming for 23 million units at a bare minimum next FY, since that's what is required to just barely exceed the PS4 sales curve, which they said the PS5 will exceed sometime during the next FY. The demand is there, so if they've managed to secure enough components then I don't see why it's impossible.

Unfortunately Microsoft is the only console manufacturer that doesn't make sales data public. We only have lifetime estimates by sales analysts, Xbox around 24 million, Xbox 360 84 million, Xboxone 58.5 million and Xbox series 12 million. The Xbox series estimate is a few months old so it should be much higher now, from Wikipaedia:

Million-selling game consoles

PlatformTypeFirmReleased[2]Units soldRef.
PlayStation 2HomeSony2000>155 million[note 1]
Nintendo DSHandheldNintendo2004154.02 million[32]
Game Boy & Game Boy ColorHandheldNintendo1989, 1998118.69 million[32][note 2]
PlayStation 4 #HomeSony2013117.2 million[34]
Nintendo Switch #
hybrid video game console
HybridNintendo2017111.08 million[32]
PlayStationHomeSony1994102.49 million[35]
WiiHomeNintendo2006101.63 million[32]
PlayStation 3HomeSony2006>87.4 million[note 1]
Xbox 360HomeMicrosoft2005>84 million[note 3]
Game Boy AdvanceHandheldNintendo200181.51 million[32]
PlayStation PortableHandheldSony200480–82 million (estimate)[note 1]
Nintendo 3DSHandheldNintendo201175.94 million[32]
NES/FamicomHomeNintendo198361.91 million[32]
Xbox OneHomeMicrosoft201358.5 million (estimate)[43]
SNES/Super FamicomHomeNintendo199049.1 million[32]
Game & Watch
dedicated consoles
HandheldNintendo198043.4 million[44]
Nintendo 64HomeNintendo199632.93 million[32]
Sega Genesis/Mega DriveHomeSega198830.75 million[note 4]
Atari 2600HomeAtari197730 million[48]
XboxHomeMicrosoft200124 million[49]
GameCubeHomeNintendo200121.74 million[32]
PlayStation 5 #HomeSony202021.7 million[50]
Wii UHomeNintendo201213.56 million[32]
Xbox Series X/S #HomeMicrosoft202012 million (estimate)[51]
Sega Game GearHandheldSega199010.62 million[45]
PlayStation VitaHandheldSony201110–15 million (estimate)[note 1]
Sega Master SystemHomeSega198610–13 million[note 5]
PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16HomeNEC/Hudson Soft[note 6]198710 million[58]
Sega SaturnHomeSega19949.26 million[46]
DreamcastHomeSega19989.13 million[46][59][60][61]
Master System (Brazilian variants)HomeTectoy19898 million[62]
Dendy (Famiclone)HomeMicro Genius19926 million[63]
Super NES Classic Edition
dedicated consoles
DedicatedNintendo20175.28 million[64]
Famicom Disk SystemHome console add-onNintendo19864.5 million[65]
NES Classic Edition
dedicated consoles
DedicatedNintendo20163.56 million[66][67]
Sega PicoHomeSega1993>3.4 million[note 7]
WonderSwanHandheldBandai19993.5 million[note 8]
Color TV-Game
dedicated consoles
DedicatedNintendo19773 million[76][77]
IntellivisionHomeMattel19803 million[78]
Mega Drive (Brazilian variants)HomeTectoy19903 million[79][80]
N-GageHandheldNokia20033 million[81]
Sega CDHome console add-onSega19912.24 million[45]
ColecoVisionHomeColeco1982>2 million[note 9]
Magnavox Odyssey²HomeMagnavox/Philips19782 million[85]
PC Engine CD-ROM²Home console add-onNEC19881.92 million[86][87]
Steam Deck #
hybrid video game console
HandheldValve2022>1 million[88]
Atari LynxHandheldAtari1989>1 million[note 10]
Philips CD-iHomePhilips1990>1 million[note 11]
Telstar
dedicated consoles
DedicatedColeco1976>1 million[93][note 12]
Atari 5200HomeAtari19821 million[95]
Atari 7800HomeAtari1986>1 million[96]

Last edited:
Probably BS Rumor.
But even if Sony does target that number, they won't achieve it.

The highest ever total for Wii, Switch and PS2 didn't do this.
With a new single PS5 SKU coming out next year, with a price decrease and even more easily to be produced...games like Final Fantasy XVI, Spider-Man 2, Factions, VR2, etc...you wanna bet?

PS5 is still far from hitting its peak...this is only the beginning. We've barely left the crossgen period and this will be a long generation.

Last edited:
Top Bottom