• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Tom Henderson] Sony anticipates 10 million+ PS5's to be sold in Q3 FY23, could reach 68M sold by end of March 2024

3liteDragon

Following Sony’s latest report of the company having its best quarter yet ending December 31, 2022 (Q3 FY22), Insider Gaming has received information from its sources suggesting that the company is expecting a further huge increase in PS5 unit sales at the end of this year. Insider Gaming has already reported that the company is forecasting (as of a few months ago) 30.5 million units sold for FY23, which would be just shy of the 32 million units that the company has sold entirely since the PS5 was released in November 2020.

Internal forecasts show that Sony is anticipating its lowest month to be August 2023 at 1.5 million units, whereas the company is expecting to sell just shy of 4.8 million units in November 2023. The total for October, November, and December comes in at an impressive 10.5 million units predicted to be sold for the console giant. In part, the high sale numbers are thanks to the new PlayStation 5 model that will feature a detachable disc drive, which is expected to hit shelves in September 2023. The new model is forecasted to sell 18.5 million units in FY23, meaning only around 12 million units of the “classic” PS5 will be sold before it ceases production entirely during the year.

As for when the new PlayStation 5 will be announced is anyone’s guess, but the production of the console kicks off in April 2023, so we’d anticipate there’s probably be an announcement around then.

FY23 forecasted numbers in conjunction with already sold units (and the 6.2 million forecasted to be sold before the end of FY22) suggest that Sony could have sold around 68 million consoles by the end of FY23. Although Sony still has a long way to go to beat PlayStation 2’s 155 million units sold, it will be within reaching distance of the PlayStation Portable which sold around 80 million units.

Disclaimer: Internal forecasts of sales are fluid and subject to change due to market changes.
Regarding the PSVR2 production cuts rumor:

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I love the fact that the ps5 has vr, the games but it’s a whole different ballgame, ps2 was switching from VHS to DVD.

XXL

Hogwarts Legacy should be big for them. Also, if they can ride the The Last Of Us HBO hype and get factions out sooner than later, they have a huge year in front of them. Spider-Man 2 is going to be gargantuan. GT7 VR (and VR in general) is going to move some units as well.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Ctrl + F final
Ctrl + F ff16
0 results

You guys forgetting something? (this is on top of Spider-Man 2, Hogwarts, VR)

Last edited:

3liteDragon

It's wrap.
Xbox journey was nice.
Welcome to our overlord PS5.

Do you guys think it will hit 150m?
Definitely has a shot at it, if they actually manage to somehow double their sales in the next fiscal year. Hey, I was one of those who were saying 200M earlier lol, you never know.

Last edited:

saintjules

Depends on the pacing when running side-by-side with PS4. I haven't followed that all that much. If it's passing in sales better than the PS4 did for example, then Maybe 125-130 mil.

The PS5 had more publicity and marketing, even in the early days of launch. The scarcity of the Console at launch might have made it even more enticing to get one.

I believe the key to reaching such high sales is getting more casuals into the ecosystem.

Edit: to put a little thought into numbers, Switch just reached 122mil. Isn't that the most popular system of the 3?

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Sony be like:

Sonic 2 Chill GIF by Sonic The Hedgehog

It's wrap.
Xbox journey was nice.
Welcome to our overlord PS5.

I mean...if they reach 100M by 2026 i don't see what's stopping them with a price cut and a PS6 by 2028/2029.
Regarding the PSVR2 production cut rumor:

That takashi guy somewhere boiling right now, checking his sources at Sony. It's not the first time he screws up Sony's predictions and makes them come out to dismiss everything he says.

Mikey Jr.

Spiderman 2.

Sony will push that to the extreme. That will sell consoles.

Factions 2?

I dunno about that one. It's nd's first time at such a thing. And their mp games have never been super popular, but have been well loved.

Factions 2 needs to be bigger than "it's tdm plus some bonus shit".

Really hope it's division 2 level of scope.

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Factions 2 needs to be bigger than "it's tdm plus some bonus shit".

Really hope it's division 2 level of scope.

That would legit be damn awesome. Division / Division 2 is such a cool game to play with friends.

It hits a brick wall eventually, but until you do it's damn fun.

Last edited:
Not trolling at all but if PlayStation 5 hit anywhere close to these numbers without Xbox Series sales picking up they might as well shut down production & count their losses.

It would be over from this point with nothing to focus on but Gamepass.
I'm probably a retarded record by saying this.

But if Microsoft doesn't care about being number 1 they can still do a great job in the other positions. I don't remember the last time Microsoft said they were worried about console sales so I believe they are doing fine.

onQ123

I'm probably a retarded record by saying this.

But if Microsoft doesn't care about being number 1 they can still do a great job in the other positions. I don't remember the last time Microsoft said they were worried about console sales so I believe they are doing fine.
If things get that lopsided 3rd party devs will focus on the console that's selling all the software & Microsoft is already slow to produce Xbox Series X consoles.

Nobody says they are in trouble.

I'm talking about comments like this.

Not trolling at all but if PlayStation 5 hit anywhere close to these numbers without Xbox Series sales picking up they might as well shut down production & count their losses.

It would be over from this point with nothing to focus on but Gamepass.

All that could really happen is that Microsoft changes how they run Xbox which could be pretty positive for gamers in the end.

onQ123

Yeah that Microsoft views success differently. I haven't really seen them be negative about it.
This isn't about how they view success it's about if they will feel it's worth it to produce Xbox Series X/S if they're not seeing a return on them in software sells.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I'm talking about comments like this.

All that could really happen is that Microsoft changes how they run Xbox which could be pretty positive for gamers in the end.
He is making a hypothetical. And there is some truth to that hypothetic if their entire business model is reliant on subs and not selling units to get more subs. And yes, change is good if it's a positive one. Grassroots "organic" change IMO, not buying up the industry type of change.

Top Bottom