• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Tom Henderson] Sony anticipates 10 million+ PS5's to be sold in Q3 FY23, could reach 68M sold by end of March 2024

EDMIX

Factions is coming out at the end of the year isn't it?

I'm more sure about Spiderman 2 then Fractions.

I wish it really did come out end of the year, but who knows.

Maybe they want a stealth drop.

Mikey Jr. Mikey Jr. lol true, its really, really hard to tell with MP titles. Could be nothing, could be the biggest downloaded game on PS5 of the generation lol

Last edited:
Might be a new Xbox this generation a streaming device

I can always see them release a streaming stick for XCLOUD. But I also see them continue releasing consoles as well. The question is if they will stick with the Series X + S strategy.

Its possible that it's better for them to stick to making one system instead of two. But it's hard to figure that out without actual hardware sales.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Regarding the PSVR2 production cuts rumor:

Tom Delonge Wtf GIF

68 million after 13 months 🔥

onQ123

I can always see them release a streaming stick for XCLOUD. But I also see them continue releasing consoles as well. The question is if they will stick with the Series X + S strategy.

Its possible that it's better for them to stick to making one system instead of two. But it's hard to figure that out without actual hardware sales.
Without the Series S this generation would have ended before it started.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I'm more sure about Spiderman 2 then Fractions.

I wish it really did come out end of the year, but who knows.

Maybe they want a stealth drop.

Mikey Jr. Mikey Jr. lol true, its really, really hard to tell with MP titles. Could be nothing, could be the biggest downloaded game on PS5 of the generation lol
If I were a betting man, I am thinking we will hear more about it just after or close to the show's finale.

Last edited:

Chastten

Banned
I can believe that. As long as they can produce 'em, they will sell 'em, until at least the 80-100 million unit mark.

They have great momentum coming from the PS4 gen, while Xbox is still struggling pretty much everywhere and Nintendo is just doing their own thing entirely. I have no trouble believing PS5 will end up doing bigger numbers than PS4 when all is said and done, with both Switch and PS5 surpassing the 140-150m mark. Kind of a repeat of the PS2 and NDS times. I know both are technically from different generations, but their sales periods massively overlap.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
If those numbers are true then Uncle Jim is going to be able to afford that transgender sex change and not do it on layaway like he did last time.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
According to this leak, apparently they can?

Yeah, there's no way I'm trusting this leak though. 30 million units in a year and 10 million during the Christmas quarter. So 20 million units in the other non-Christmas quarters is insane! An average of 6.8 million per quarter in a non-Holiday quarter is just not happening. It's TOO much.

Plus how can Sony literally produce 18 million of the new diskless PS5s this fiscal year, if it's supposed to come out in September?

vivftp

Do you know what Nintendo's bigger year was on selling any of their consoles were? Did they ever hit 30 million units sold of anything they've ever made? Even the DS?

DS had a year or 2 where it hit just over 30 million, based on charts I've seen posted.

Sony is playing catch-up now that supply constraints are gone, so yes I 100% believe this leak. Based on their own stated goal of surpassing the PS4 sales curve next FY, they have to move at least 22 million units. I think 30.5 will be doable given how hard they're pushing. The new model will begin production in April according to Tom, so plenty of stock for the September release

mckmas8808

What’s the big driver of the new model?

Sell a $399 PS5 only and sell the disc drive separately?

This is the ONLY way the PS5 will have that much demand to hit 30 million sold in FY23. There's no way the demand is there for 30m sold in one year at $550. If the new model is $399 worldwide, then it would feel like a super price cut. And that new model at that new price will probably sold when Spiderman 2 releases also so......

vivftp

This is the ONLY way the PS5 will have that much demand to hit 30 million sold in FY23. There's no way the demand is there for 30m sold in one year at $550. If the new model is $399 worldwide, then it would feel like a super price cut. And that new model at that new price will probably sold when Spiderman 2 releases also so......

The PS5 is still behind the PS4 when launch aligned, they've got a lot of ground to catch up on. Not to mention the hype surrounding the PS5 far surpasses that of the PS4 at the same point in time, so there's a long way to go to catch up to demand. This is before even doing a showcase for their next wave of games, plus the large releases this year like FF16, Spider-Man 2 and who knows what else.

Even if they manage to sell 30 million in the upcoming FY, that puts them 8 million or so ahead of the PS4 by the end of the next FY which isn't too crazy when you factor in the hype levels of the PS5 relative to the PS4.

Hogwarts Legacy should be big for them. Also, if they can ride the The Last Of Us HBO hype and get factions out sooner than later, they have a huge year in front of them. Spider-Man 2 is going to be gargantuan. GT7 VR (and VR in general) is going to move some units as well.
I wouldn't be surprised if we get a factions teaser trailer soon after the final episode releases.

Baki

Yeah, there's no way I'm trusting this leak though. 30 million units in a year and 10 million during the Christmas quarter. So 20 million units in the other non-Christmas quarters is insane! An average of 6.8 million per quarter in a non-Holiday quarter is just not happening. It's TOO much.

Plus how can Sony literally produce 18 million of the new diskless PS5s this fiscal year, if it's supposed to come out in September?

Looking at DS numbers, we get an idea of how this can be achieved. It’s either 6m in non-holiday quarters and 12m during the holiday or 5m during non holiday and 15m during the holiday.

Do you know what Nintendo's bigger year was on selling any of their consoles were? Did they ever hit 30 million units sold of anything they've ever made? Even the DS?

Only DS. DS did it twice, peak was 31m. Switch highest was 28m and that due to pandemic boom.

More availability of the digital sku.

The PS5 is still behind the PS4 when launch aligned, they've got a lot of ground to catch up on. Not to mention the hype surrounding the PS5 far surpasses that of the PS4 at the same point in time, so there's a long way to go to catch up to demand. This is before even doing a showcase for their next wave of games, plus the large releases this year like FF16, Spider-Man 2 and who knows what else.

Even if they manage to sell 30 million in the upcoming FY, that puts them 8 million or so ahead of the PS4 by the end of the next FY which isn't too crazy when you factor in the hype levels of the PS5 relative to the PS4.

Agreed

MikeM

I'm probably a retarded record by saying this.

But if Microsoft doesn't care about being number 1 they can still do a great job in the other positions. I don't remember the last time Microsoft said they were worried about console sales so I believe they are doing fine.
MS has a long way to go before they challenge for #1. But lets be real- there is PLENTY to go around at #3.

Mr.Phoenix

I was thinking more like selling at $299 and selling the disc drive for $99.

Or have a Spiderman bundle at $399 with a disc drive and one without a disc drive for $350.

Whatever it is, it's gonna have to be very aggressive if they are pushing 30M in one FY. No PlayStation console has ever done that.

I'm not going to like i thought that said PSVR2 and not PS5 for a second.

10 million PS5's in q3?

That's a bold prediction.

Sony must think box will have another 2022, and I don't blame them, no one was expecting the moves made for the last half of the year, that is moving games out of that year to this one.

onQ123

Something to think about is that PS5 GPU is basically 2X the PS4 GPU as far as size go & a die shrink means it's not going to cost as much to cool it going forward so they probably producing these chips pretty fast now.

Klayzer

MS has a long way to go before they challenge for #1. But lets be real- there is PLENTY to go around at #3.
I don't agree with the doom and gloom as well. There's plenty of money to be made, with new consumers joining the club each year.

My only concern, is the industry (and some gamers) pushing hard for the elimination of optical and physical media. An all digital and streaming gaming future, is not something I will personally support.

vivftp

I was thinking more like selling at $299 and selling the disc drive for $99.

Or have a Spiderman bundle at $399 with a disc drive and one without a disc drive for $350.

Whatever it is, it's gonna have to be very aggressive if they are pushing 30M in one FY. No PlayStation console has ever done that.

lol, nah. The PS5 is breaking sales records after a price increase. They have absolutely zero reason to not only dial back that price increase, but further slash the price down even more below the original MSRP of the digital console. Especially since they'd certainly be taking a hefty loss on each unit.

Not too long after launch the disc model PS5 was being sold at break even or even a small profit, but the digital was still being sold at a loss. They've had further revisions since then which no doubt helped the disc model become more profitable, but we can't say with any certainty that the digital model was even close to becoming profitable. Then the global economy tanked and they had to increase the price. It's still possible the disc model is profitable, but we dunno if the digital one is right now.

The most logical price, if they're able to roll back the recent price increase, is to do $399 base model + the detachable disc drive for $99, if not a bit more. The upcoming revision MIGHT be enough to get them close to breaking even on the base console, we have no way to tell - but at least it should get them another step closer.

If the price increases remain a factor, then it's possible that they may choose to do $449 base model + $99 disc drive. Regardless, there's absolutely zero incentive for them to go below the original MSRP, they just don't need to. I don't think they'll have much trouble pushing 30 million units with the way things are going, and especially after they have their showcase and release massive titles like Spider-Man 2 and FF16.

No PlayStation console has done that before because all past consoles were able to produce supply to keep pace with demand, for the most part. The PS5 is behind the curve and demand is still FAR outpacing supply, so they're gonna go HUGE next FY to play catch-up.

Klayzer

I don't know, 30 mil is historical type of sales. 22-25 is more likely, imo. Either way, Sony is extremely confident right now.

mckmas8808

I'm not going to like i thought that said PSVR2 and not PS5 for a second.

10 million PS5's in q3?

That's a bold prediction.

Sony must think box will have another 2022, and I don't blame them, no one was expecting the moves made for the last half of the year, that is moving games out of that year to this one.

What do you think this does for PSVR2 "IF" Sony hits these numbers?

What do you think this does for PSVR2 "IF" Sony hits these numbers?

If they were to hit these numbers it would likely be due to a trend wave, and many of those consumers probably wouldn't by a PS5, those would be more your COD, Fortnite Minecraft, Madden guys.

Unless Sony has some high quality VR surprise releases that cater to those groups. Then that may pick up sales of PSVR2 as well. It would be a good start for 2023 sales.

Jaybe

I wonder what else beyond Spider-man 2 they have planned to release that would justify a forecast that is extremely high like this

Baki

That's the believable part of the projection actually. PS2 and PS4 both had (multiple)holiday quarters in the same 9-10M range, so it's not exactly unheard of.
But 20M in the rest of the year - I believe only NDS pulled that off before.

Also pretty hard to manufacture and ship that many PS5s.

Unless it’s all timing for their Japanese plants being ready and fully operational. As well as their joint fab plants they made deals with years ago.

But PS5's are selling 1:1 with shipments anymore and haven't for awhile.

So if they still try producing that many that's going to leave gluts in many places that's going to freak retailers out.

They must be expecting Xbox to drop the ball like 2022 again, or for PSVR2 to take off encouraging more PS5 demand on top of already existing demand. Otherwise they would see how unrealistic that is.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
But PS5's are selling 1:1 with shipments anymore and haven't for awhile.

So if they still try producing that many that's going to leave gluts in many places that's going to freak retailers out.

They must be expecting Xbox to drop the ball like 2022 again, or for PSVR2 to take off encouraging more PS5 demand on top of already existing demand. Otherwise they would see how unrealistic that is.
They will sell gangbusters with select bundles (Hogwarts being leaked) and games they’ll release like Spider-Man 2 and possibly Factions riding off the TLoU HBO massive success.

You were wrong about the FIFA bundles flopping, don’t double down on this.

I don't agree with the doom and gloom as well. There's plenty of money to be made, with new consumers joining the club each year.

My only concern, is the industry (and some gamers) pushing hard for the elimination of optical and physical media. An all digital and streaming gaming future, is not something I will personally support.
As I understand it Blu-ray disks are incredibly cheap to print.
I'd be more concerned Switch going all digital than PlayStation.

Gamerguy84

Sony is smart, they don't make an announcement about selling a boat load of consoles without a reason to think it's gonna happen, or at least come close.

Either they have something up their sleeve or the department in charge of forecasting needs new jobs.

Top Bottom