• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Holland Promises to Help His Spider-Man Replacement

bitbydeath

They better not kill him off already, the MCU is already in a bad spot right now in terms of likeable protagonists. Tom’s presence is one of the last few holding it together.
"When they cast the young kid in Spider-Man to replace me, whether it's next year or in five years, I'll take it upon myself to teach them about the responsibilities of being Spider-Man."
"Because it's huge. It's absolutely huge. Every time you walk outside that door, you're representing Spider-Man. It's tough. It's taxing sometimes. Because sometimes you just want to go to a pub and get absolutely wasted, and not have to worry about the ramifications of the public scrutiny of: 'Oh my God, what do you mean you got drunk?'"
"When you meet these young kids, and they're at the age where they can't really figure out whether it's real or not, it's so exciting. I always do the accent and chat to them. It's really fun. And it's a responsibility I've really loved carrying. But, when someone else takes my place, I will be sure to give them some advice about how to deal with it and give them my number, and basically say, 'Whenever you need me, mate, I'm here.'"

Last edited:

Star-Lord

What the fuck is he talking about, dude is 25 years old lol.
I think that’s the point he’s trying to make. He’s 25, so still very young, and he has a pretty huge responsibility he has to carry as Parker/Spider-Man. He’s saying, or at least I think he’s saying, that he’s going to help whoever replaces him with carrying that responsibility.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Spider-Man Reaction GIF

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Replacing Peter Parker with Miles already? Would have liked Peter to actually finish school first and get a photographer gig before being killed off.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Age does not matter. He will be replaced by Miles Morales. Calling it. They'll prolly do one more movie with both and then they move on from Tom.

Javthusiast

Banned
He is not going anywhere for years to come. And if, then I would not be upset, he is my least favourite Peter/Spider-Man. As well as his two movies so far.

Yes I prefer the Amazing Spider-Man films over Iron Man junior. They have a better visual identity, special effects and action choreography. And Emma Stone being adorable as fuck.

Doom85

His comments make it clear he’s just saying WHEN it happens. He’s not going to be playing Peter for decades to come, but that doesn’t mean he’s leaving soon necessarily especially since IIRC he made a drunk phone call to either the head of Sony or Disney to renegotiate so he could be in more movies. That doesn’t scream, “god, I want to move on from this role” to me.

Doom85

And Emma Stone being adorable as fuck.

Hell yeah, her Gwen is my biggest superhero movie crush (within MCU proper, it’s Shuri). Really disappointed she won’t be playing Spider-Gwen in No Way Home as far as we know, she said she would play the character if ever offered so Sony/Disney missed an opportunity there. Instead they’re pushing Hardy’s Venom, which I liked his films okay but this version has zero connection to any Spidey so he feels more forced in compared to everyone else who will be in No Way Home.

Didn't he say doing that movie was a mistake and he won't do anything like it again?

Do you really think an actor would say that about a movie yet to be released? His relationship with Sony would never be the same again.

"I think there are elements of my performance in Uncharted where I kind of fell under that spell of being ‘I want to look good now. I want this to be my cool moment,'" he said.

He explains that he needed to become a tough guy like Mark Wahlberg. He fears this put him in the mindset of looking cool instead of being in-character.

"My character is supposed to be a fucking action hero in this moment! Look, I haven’t seen it, so I don’t know if I succeeded in that. But it was an important lesson learned, because, at times, it was less about land a mark and go through this scene and more about land a mark, stand like this and see my bulging biceps... It was a mistake and is something that I will probably never do again.”

If anything, he's saying if he ever plays Drake again, he won't do the mistake of trying to look cool like he did here in the 1st movie.
Context is everything.

DKehoe

Do you really think an actor would say that about a movie yet to be released? His relationship with Sony would never be the same again.

If anything, he's saying if he ever plays Drake again, he won't do the mistake of trying to look cool like he did here in the 1st movie.
Context is everything.
Yeh I remember thinking it was really weird. I think I just misread it when that interview first came out and took him saying what it was about to be how he was being directed rather than his own thought process.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I think the marketing for for this movie is trying to surf on the wave of “will this be Tom Holland’s last outing??” I think this either

a. Allows Tom to talk about something that generates headlines, besides Tobey and Andrew.

b. Potentially plays up whatever story ending we are about to see. Maybe No Way Home means Tom is trapped in another world or maybe it means he has his “Spider-Man No More” moment. Pretty transparent, but not as much to general audiences.

Some people may believe it is Tom negotiating, which is possible, but I imagine they already nailed him down during the Sony and Marvel renegotiations.

Fbh

We've had 3 young Peter Parkers...can we maybe get an older version for a change?.
But anyway, unless Sony wants to stop working with the MCU and launch a parallel live action Spiderman I don't see how they'd replace Holland. If they want a new Spiderman they'll probably go with Miles Morales.

Holland acting is the only good thing in the new movies.

Yeah Holland is a pretty good Peter.
It's a shame he was wasted on a bunch of movies that feel like "The adventures of young Iron Man and his highschool friends"

Last edited:
Yeah Holland is a pretty good Peter.
It's a shame he was wasted on a bunch of movies that feel like "The adventures of young Iron Man and his highschool friends"
You're right. He IS a pretty good Peter Parker but they have handled him wrong; instead of making him exist on his own and only complement/add to the MCU, they have made him dependent on the MCU. There's a big difference.

Spider-Man should be able to have his own local problems and issues that he should be able to resolve on his own without always needing an assist from other MCU people. As it is, Spider-Man has one of the best rogues gallery of almost any superhero with the exception of Batman. He can be facing adversaries for days without needing constant hand holding from other MCU heroes.

The first two movies were him being Iron Man-lite. Now Dr. Strange is featuring somewhat prominently in the trailers and even posters. Don't get me wrong, I really like Iron Man and Dr. Strange is fucking awesome, but can't Peter just do something on his own for once?

For all their defects, the Maguire and Garfield Spider-Men were on their own, did their own thing, faced their own enemies without hand holding from other heroes. As far as movies I still prefer the Maguire/Raimi set; hell he was so good that they have to bring HIS villains to try to help Holland's help.

So think about it: you have a pretty good Peter Parker, but you have to resort to bringing other MCU heroes AND villains from other Spider-Men.

Holland deserves better.

..But will she want his advice?
LMAO I see what you did there 😂

Fbh

You're right. He IS a pretty good Peter Parker but they have handled him wrong; instead of making him exist on his own and only complement/add to the MCU, they have made him dependent on the MCU. There's a big difference.

Spider-Man should be able to have his own local problems and issues that he should be able to resolve on his own without always needing an assist from other MCU people. As it is, Spider-Man has one of the best rogues gallery of almost any superhero with the exception of Batman. He can be facing adversaries for days without needing constant hand holding from other MCU heroes.

The first two movies were him being Iron Man-lite. Now Dr. Strange is featuring somewhat prominently in the trailers and even posters. Don't get me wrong, I really like Iron Man and Dr. Strange is fucking awesome, but can't Peter just do something on his own for once?

For all their defects, the Maguire and Garfield Spider-Men were on their own, did their own thing, faced their own enemies without hand holding from other heroes. As far as movies I still prefer the Maguire/Raimi set; hell he was so good that they have to bring HIS villains to try to help Holland's help.

So think about it: you have a pretty good Peter Parker, but you have to resort to bringing other MCU heroes AND villains from other Spider-Men.

Holland deserves better.

yep, they've taken away all his own personal identity.
His 2 movies have been about him looking up to Iron Man and trying to learn from Iron Man as he faces people who turned evil due to interactions with Iron man.
I personally really dislike the high school focus too, both his fat friend and the new MJ are annoying.

Holland acting is the only good thing in the new movies.
The only consistent thing, yes. Like Fbh Fbh said, I find Ned and (most especially) "MJ" to be pretty annoying. Her having those initials is an insult to the actual MJ (Mary Jane) from the comics and the Raimi trilogy.

I guess Marissa Tomei as Aunt May isn't bad although she's largely a non-factor. And Michael Keaton as Vulture was probably the best thing about the first movie, he has acting chops and a great screen presence.

bitbydeath

yep, they've taken away all his own personal identity.
His 2 movies have been about him looking up to Iron Man and trying to learn from Iron Man as he faces people who turned evil due to interactions with Iron man.
I personally really dislike the high school focus too, both his fat friend and the new MJ are annoying.
MJ hasn’t had any development time in these movies, she appears to be just there to show that the character exists in the world. Ned and that weird guy that I think was meant to be a bully? Have each had more relevant screen time than her. Not sure if she has a ton of deleted scenes that don’t make the final cut or if they’re intentionally icing her out.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Tom Holland is a heck of a young man, every Spider-Man has been better than the last.

Saber

Gold Member
Still baffles me people likes those new Spider-man movies with him. He is souless at act, I can barelly stand him as Peter. No wonder they keep making him be babysitted by Iron man, himself alone is pretty much as boring as his stone face.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Im torn on Holland as spiderman, whenever I see him in a mcu film he just reminds me of an amateur british actor doing an over done american accent.

Cumbach is also a british guy doing an American accent, but it comes off as way more authentic.

It maybe the direction though, whatever the reason it could be better imo.

Toby McGuire was pretty goofy but he still felt like Spiderman.

Top Bottom