• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Tom Warren] Microsoft lays off nearly 1,000 people across the company including Xbox division

Topher

Gold Member
Yep. Despite this being a fraction of their work force, it sucks to get laid off even if you are 1 in a million strong force who got laid off.

Some of the extremely dumb takes in this thread tho ..

Something every corporation and their employees has had to deal with from time to time. I'm not seeing how this is a "massive" layoff and only where I've heard that entire departments were "bulldozed" is in this thread.

There's fat at every company, and some of it needs to be trimmed. When you have 221,000 employees, losing 1,000 isn't bad. Now they have 220,000 employees.

Let's also remember that 1,000 people now have Microsoft on their resume, they will be just fine and find jobs rather quickly.

Secondly, they were laid off, they have benefits they can tap into when getting laid off, it's not like the won't have income.

Last edited:

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
This are people lives we talking about. Not grains of rice wtf. Is like 100 people died and you be like "yeah but there is 10bill people in the world " wtf lol
It's not nice that people have lost their jobs. R reksveks is right though, the word massive is subjective, although whether it matters or not is seemingly massively contentious.

reksveks

This are people lives we talking about. Not grains of rice wtf. Is like 100 people died and you be like "yeah but there is 10bill people in the world " wtf lol
You can be analytical and empathic, there is a whole world of research/industry around making sure your charitable donations have the most positive impact. The word is escaping me. (effective altruism)

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
It's not nice that people have lost their jobs. R reksveks is right though, the word massive is subjective, although whether it matters or not is seemingly massively contentious.

500 jobs on a 5k employees company is massive.
10 jobs on a 25 employees is massive.
1000 on a 221000 employees company is nothing.

Any lost job is a tragedy, specially on a stanflation situation like this anyways. But lets not pretend that reducing a company workforce by 0.45% is massive.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
Sure Jim.
Tom Hanks Hello GIF

solidus12

1. Layoffs suck.

BUT

2. Microsoft employs almost a quarter million people, and contracts probably 100,000 more.
1,00 people were let go. Not all were from gaming. In fact less than 20% of the layoffs were in the HUGE umbrella division that includes Xbox, and not all were xbox subdivision specific.

Goddamn, some of you jump to so many uninformed conclusions for the sake of your console warring.
Colteastwood, is that you?

jakinov

Are all those tech companies also making record breaking acquisitions?
No and that's my point. Everyone is downsizing right now but you are correlating a company wide downsize with the acquistion for some reason. Reducing headcount isn't going to help this deal go through.

While ur at it Microsoft fire the entire 343 , people loosing jobs is always awful but what those fuckers did to halo all of them deserve to be fired

Yes, this is a stark contrast to communist software companies.
Why can't anyone ever criticize capitalisms obvious flaws without them strawmannirg in communism? Company hits record profits and lays people off. They can afford to keep them on and still be massively profitable. Thats not an inherent flaw?

MacReady13

Microsoft has been making loads of money, but there's no way you can convince me Xbox division hasn't been hemorrhaging money. This doesn't surprise me at all.
Didn't we just have a thread in here somewhere with Microsoft fanboys getting excited over 2.9 billion dollars revenue from game pass? Microsoft is apparently making money, yet people are losing jobs? And they're about to make an approx 70 billion dollar acquisition? Fuck is going on here?!?

Vestal

Gold Member
While it sucks if you are one of those 1000 people, a 1% workforce purge is expected.. I have been a part of medium sized to massive sized corps over my 20 year career in business, and I can say without a doubt that EVERY COMPANY large or small has a lot of dead weight to cut.

When I say "dead weight", you know who you are...

edit: while this might be a reaction to market conditions, you can be damn sure that the cuts were made to areas they could do without or of workers that weren't delivering on expectations..

Last edited:

John Wick

Everyone is laying people off right now. Because shit was hot for a while and companies were hiring like crazy and taking a lot of risk on several different projects. Willing to take massive lists in efforts of growth. There’s a looming recession, ad spend is down, people are purportedly spending less, companies are taking less risk and cutting cost all around. Since times are bad companies are tightening their purse strings and slowing down or backtracking on initiatives from when times were bad. Part of it is to keep investors happy but the other part is that now is not the time to be taking lots of risk and burning money.
Yes MS desperately needed to lay off staff. By getting rid of 1000 employees MS will now turn a profit this next quarter.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Why can't anyone ever criticize capitalisms obvious flaws without them strawmannirg in communism? Company hits record profits and lays people off. They can afford to keep them on and still be massively profitable. Thats not an inherent flaw?
How is it an inherent flaw? If you have employees whose work doesn’t justify their salary, or whose labor is no longer needed, you SHOULD eliminate their positions. That’s how it’s supposed to work. It’s not like you’re going to keep on employing them forever just because the company as a whole is turning a profit.

You’re talking about a company that created trillions in wealth and hundreds of thousands of well paying jobs. None of that would exist if they didn’t make tough decisions from time to time.

I do hope they are given decent severance packages and encouraged to apply for other positions in the company.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
How is it an inherent flaw? If you have employees whose work doesn’t justify their salary, or whose labor is no longer needed, you SHOULD eliminate their positions. That’s how it’s supposed to work. It’s not like you’re going to keep on employing them forever just because the company as a whole is turning a profit.

You’re talking about a company that created trillions in wealth and hundreds of thousands of well paying jobs. None of that would exist if they didn’t make tough decisions from time to time.

I do hope they are given decent severance packages and encouraged to apply for other positions in the company.
Agreed.

Some people in life just expect forever job security. That’s how you can tell who is a manager or owner, and who isn’t.

I guarantee you that if the shoe was on the other foot and they owned a business or managed a team budget and had dead weight to cut, they’ll cut them instead of keeping them on the payroll as a charity case.

jakinov

Yes MS desperately needed to lay off staff. By getting rid of 1000 employees MS will now turn a profit this next quarter.
It's not that they desperately needed to lay off staff. It's that they no longer need that staff because they are likely planning on doing less and growing slower.

1. Cuts often place more work on other workers shoulder and isn’t just about if the salary is deemed worth it. It’s not about the jobs not being worth it anymore but how can you continue to hit record profit in a down market. It comes down to greed because it’s not going to impact the bottom line making slightly less one quarter than last to keep 1000 people from entering a tough job market.

2. Companies are not charities. There is barely any job where the wealth created is more than the wealth paid. MS made far more off it’s employees than it created for them. And most of the trillions created isn’t going back to the market but directly on not investors pocket so yea, I wish companies did have more pressure to keep on workers instead of cutting people to save cost when they are consistently hitting record profits. They are more likely to cut low/medium wage workers than hold bonuses for executives which could literally keep a solid majority of them on.

Companies can change focus and change what they invest in no? That's what happens. I doubt they kept Mixer employees around just cause they can afford it for example. It's not a captialism or communism issue. It's having the skills for what's currently relevant for the company.

Companies can change focus and change what they invest in no? That's what happens. I doubt they kept Mixer employees around just cause they can afford it for example. It's not a captialism or communism issue. It's having the skills for what's currently relevant for the company.
Duh. There’s no law against it. That doesn’t make it right. Profit over peoples livelihood when you can afford both is a failure of the system incentives. You can’t just be profitable but profitable to the very last penny regardless of if being slightly less so makes the life of real live people better. I will never understand cooperate bootlicking. No one’s saying they gotta go broke, just you might makes 10% less than your current massive profit to keep people employeed.

Duh. There’s no law against it. That doesn’t make it right. Profit over peoples livelihood when you can afford both is a failure of the system incentives. You can’t just be profitable but profitable to the very last penny regardless of if being slightly less so makes the life of real live people better. I will never understand cooperate bootlicking. No one’s saying they gotta go broke, just you might makes 10% less than your current massive profit to keep people employeed.
It's not corporate bootlicking, it's keeping yourself marketable as an individual. No one owns you anything.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
1. Cuts often place more work on other workers shoulder and isn’t just about if the salary is deemed worth it. It’s not about the jobs not being worth it anymore but how can you continue to hit record profit in a down market. It comes down to greed because it’s not going to impact the bottom line making slightly less one quarter than last to keep 1000 people from entering a tough job market.
So what? If you can do the same work with less labor, you should. And employing 1000 people you don’t need won’t impact the bottom line? Ooookay. If you know you wont need those 1000 people, better to let them go now while the economy is still in somewhat decent shape rather than wait until it’s an emergency.

2. Companies are not charities. There is barely any job where the wealth created is more than the wealth paid. MS made far more off its employees than it created for them. And most of the trillions created isn’t going back to the market but directly on not investors pocket so yea, I wish companies did have more pressure to keep on workers instead of cutting people to save cost when they are consistently hitting record profits. They are more likely to cut low/medium wage workers than hold bonuses for executives which could literally keep a solid majority of them on.
Again, so what? I’m under no illusion that my employer is employing me because of some moral obligation to do so or just because they can afford it. I know 100% that the reason I’m employed is because it’s profitable for my employer. And the flip side of that is I can demand more pay or go work for someone else if I feel they’re not compensating me for what I’m worth.

That’s how the game works. It’s a publicly traded company. You are welcome to go find a job at an employee-owned company, a privately held company, or work for the government if you think they compensate you more fairly.

Shifty1897

Working for Microsoft still looks good on a resume. It sucks but I highly doubt these people will be unemployed for very long, for example, my employer is starved for engineers.

Last edited:
So what? If you can do the same work with less labor, you should. And employing 1000 people you don’t need won’t impact the bottom line? Ooookay. If you know you wont need those 1000 people, better to let them go now while the economy is still in somewhat decent shape rather than wait until it’s an emergency.

Again, so what? I’m under no illusion that my employer is employing me because of some moral obligation to do so or just because they can afford it. I know 100% that the reason I’m employed is because it’s profitable for my employer. And the flip side of that is I can demand more pay or go work for someone else if I feel they’re not compensating me for what I’m worth.

That’s how the game works. It’s a publicly traded company. You are welcome to go find a job at an employee-owned company, a privately held company, or work for the government if you think they compensate you more fairly.
Your answers just come down to “it is what it is” and that’s an unproductive mentality to me. Just because something is done way doesn’t mean it impossible to change. Workers rights continue to improve by people knowing this is wrong. And that’s just how I look at it. Sorry but all out pessimism just never will resonate with me. I’m hopeful that these piss poor practices which are blatantly wrong will be changed over time.

It's not corporate bootlicking, it's keeping yourself marketable as an individual. No one owns you anything.
We are literally owed things when we agreed to live and work together in a society. That’s how over time people get more and more rights and quality of life improves. If we went by your mentality would literally be in a lawless society.

chonga

It sucks that these people lost their jobs but 1000 people out of 220,000 really doest warrant "massive layoff"
According to your logic Microsoft could cut many entire teams and cease several services and still have change left to reach 1,000 employees and you'd be sat there going 'no big deal', 'business as usual'.

It isn't just about the raw number, it is about where they come from.

fallingdove

Lol. Profit vs. livelihoods - it isn’t an either or thing. Profit leads to business growth and stability which means the business can hire more people and keep more people employed for longer.

This entitlement in the world needs to go away. Companies shouldn’t have to sacrifice the health of the business to run welfare programs for the lazy or obsolete. Layoffs suck. They are also expensive. Companies don’t arrive at these decisions without a ton of thought.

We are literally owed things when we agreed to live and work together in a society. That’s how over time people get more and more rights and quality of life improves. If we went by your mentality would literally be in a lawless society.
What? You're only owned what you produce. Quality of life improves from people getting paid more and being more valuable with more experience. It's literally how we've always been, don't know how that's "lawless". You act like we should be like the Japanese that just have people show up to work and not do anything, cause retirement is shamed by their society.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Your answers just come down to “it is what it is” and that’s an unproductive mentality to me. Just because something is done way doesn’t mean it impossible to change. Workers rights continue to improve by people knowing this is wrong. And that’s just how I look at it. Sorry but all out pessimism just never will resonate with me. I’m hopeful that these piss poor practices which are blatantly wrong will be changed over time.
But that’s just the thing. I don’t think that laying people off is morally wrong, even if your company is profitable. And I don’t think that employing people you don’t need is morally right.

Heck, if anything, you could argue that the latter is morally wrong since you’re squandering your investors’ money + demoralizing the employees who actually pull their weight. And even harming society since you’re misallocating skilled labor on something that isn’t generating wealth.

But that’s just the thing. I don’t think that laying people off is morally wrong, even if your company is profitable. And I don’t think that employing people you don’t need is morally right.

Heck, if anything, you could argue that the latter is morally wrong since you’re squandering your investors’ money + demoralizing the employees who actually pull their weight. And even harming society since you’re misallocating skilled labor on something that isn’t generating wealth.
Yup disagree.

Some get fired, some get hired, lifecycle of employment.

By the way, if anyone ever want to check how badly are lay offs of any american company I would suggest to check thelayoff.com

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
ACQUIRE AND FIRE
That MS "war chest" should sustain those jobs. But they chose to finance the money sink that is Gamepass instead.

Not blaming them though since its a business after all, and the main goal is profit.
Gamepass bringing in the profit I see.
Next up - devaluation and cheapening of your games.
One year of 0 first party games, and 1000 layoffs later. Thank you gamepass. lol
There are no layoffs in any of the acquired studios. Mostly Hololens division and people that are in the Xbox division (not studios) for decades. For example,
Listening to Jez on the XB2 show now. Here's a bunch of notes:

- Guarantees he doesn't think we'll see Ross at Microsoft again, or Activision.
- Implies they didn't part on particularly good terms.
- There IS a family medical emergency, but it wasn't entirely about that.
- Has heard there's a chance she may make her own studio (oh boy...)
Its 1000 people in the entirety of Microsoft not just the gaming division.
Are all those tech companies also making record breaking acquisitions?
Yes, look it up. Especially, Google is known to buy a lot of companies.

Top Bottom